• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

    The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.


    Real Strategy Requires Cunning

unmerged(5822)

Moved on
Sep 20, 2001
7.672
0
This thread will not deal with lost treasures and charming corsairs, I'm afraid. It will rather be about the robbers of the sea, and they are not charming this time of year.

One thing that has already been done elsewhere include the changing of all inland seazones to lakes, which prevents the cheap placement of pirates in a place where they can't be fought.

Anyway, please post your thoughts on how the pirates could be improved (or just fixed in general).
 
Mar 27, 2002
2.756
0
Visit site
How about a fantasy option to make the pirates a playable faction? :)
 

unmerged(5822)

Moved on
Sep 20, 2001
7.672
0
In that case, they'd have to be just like any other country... i.e. we would add a pirate country, rather than make the pirates themselves playable. I don't know if there were any real pirate colonies though... info is needed!
 

unmerged(5822)

Moved on
Sep 20, 2001
7.672
0
Originally posted by Sun_Zi_36
what is editable? pirate events or pirate leaders only?
Pirate events can't be done, most likely; the pirates themselves can't get any, it seems. It also seems they don't get any leaders, but that is currently under investigation.

Hopefully something can be done to increase the number of pirates in the Mediterranean... it's way too peaceful now.;)
 
Mar 27, 2002
2.756
0
Visit site
Originally posted by Onslaught
In that case, they'd have to be just like any other country... i.e. we would add a pirate country, rather than make the pirates themselves playable. I don't know if there were any real pirate colonies though... info is needed!
Wasn't Taiwan and some islands in the Caribbean controlled by pirates for some time?
 

unmerged(10128)

Huangdi
Jul 8, 2002
1.833
0
Visit site
u know what, i think it would be quite useful to have an outlaw nation representing all the bunch of pirates, organised rebels, etc. that would certainly be helpful to the mongol project. currently, i have a problem with the mongol project in that if i use rebel scum as the mongols, they could only be mostly infantry, and i want them to be mostly cavalry, but i cant do anything about that coz rebels/pirates/etc cant receive events. Now that i think about it it may actually be a good idea to have a Mongol nation north of the mongolian PTI but the only thing thats stopping me is the promised performance of Russia reaching Siberia;) (i m still waiting for beta 2 results). so if we create an outlaw nation somewhere, that would solve a lot of things. but problem is, where to put it? it has to have some place where it is ensured that it wont be eliminated, otherwise it would ruin all the events.

i think there is a similar thread in the EEP talking about it right now.

Taiwan wasnt controlled by pirates. it was organised/civilised resistance forces led by Kosinga against the Manchu-Qing forces purporting to re-establish the Ming dynasty. they will be represented as a nation, eventually. Rather, we need some pirates in the East China sea to represent the Japanese outlaws that constantly attacked Chinese coast during Ming. also, some pirates in SE Asia and Indian ocean would be needed.
 

chegitz guevara

Lord of the Horizons
52 Badges
May 14, 2001
3.289
80
www.absynthe.biz
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
How do you set an area to generate pirates?

The Mediterranian needs to be full of pirates, Christans preying on Muslims, Muslims preying on Christians, etc. Also, can you turn them off, say with an event. The fall of Rhodes, Ionia, and Cyprus to the Ottomans ought to end piracy in the Eastern Mediterranian.

The Knights of St. John were pirates with a country, BTW, and so was Algeria.
 

unmerged(1047)

Commander, US Pacific Fleet
Feb 21, 2001
5.167
1
Couldn't we rig up some remote and unwantable province as a "pirate" country? I'm thinking it would need to be somewhere with a tiny support value and huge fortress, to prevent conquest. Maybe Aleutes? Or perhaps somewhere in the northern reaches of Siberia?

It's an imperfect solution but.... this way they could get events. Then again, they probably wouldn't attack unless they were at war, which would cause horrendous war exhaustion.... same for everyone else... never mind.

Historically, the Bahamas, Jamaica, Antigua and Madagascar were well-known pirate haunts, and I would be willing to believe Taiwan as well (not up on my Asian history). But these are also historical places countries colonized; they just had trouble controlling them at first.
 

unmerged(10128)

Huangdi
Jul 8, 2002
1.833
0
Visit site
Originally posted by Sheridan
It's an imperfect solution but.... this way they could get events. Then again, they probably wouldn't attack unless they were at war, which would cause horrendous war exhaustion.... same for everyone else... never mind.
hm... good point. dont think theres any solution...

anyway, my mongol project might need a new nation above the TPI. Onslaught: do u think Russia could ever elimiate a 3 province mongolia along th Siberian corridor? Might be time to bring the mongol thread back up....
 
Mar 27, 2002
2.756
0
Visit site
Originally posted by Sun_Zi_36
hm... good point. dont think theres any solution...

anyway, my mongol project might need a new nation above the TPI. Onslaught: do u think Russia could ever elimiate a 3 province mongolia along th Siberian corridor? Might be time to bring the mongol thread back up....
I think they could if they are pagan and/or in exotic tech group. And maybe they should be in exotic tech group...
 

unmerged(1047)

Commander, US Pacific Fleet
Feb 21, 2001
5.167
1
They probably would not have much trouble if the Mongols were somehow limited in their fortifications. Start them out with none and not enough tech to build any... by the time the Russians get there they might get up to level 1 or 2 forts but the Russians should be able to handle that.
 

unmerged(10128)

Huangdi
Jul 8, 2002
1.833
0
Visit site
no, i want to make sure Russia could NOT eliminate a 2 province Mongolia along Siberia, otherwise the events wont fire... but there is another problem, if we have a mongolian nation fighting China, it would allow the AI to act irrationally by wrongly concluding peace treaties, etc. is there really no way of giving rebels events or changing the number of cavalries that appear with them?

hm... which solution is better, rebel scum or new nation for Mongolia.... i m really at a loss.
 

Norgesvenn

LurkAAR
92 Badges
Jun 13, 2001
3.522
0
Visit site
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
Originally posted by Captain Krunch
How about a fantasy option to make the pirates a playable faction? :)
It will crash the game. Check Prufrock451's Pirates AAR to see for yourself. :)
 

unmerged(5822)

Moved on
Sep 20, 2001
7.672
0
Originally posted by Sun_Zi_36
u know what, i think it would be quite useful to have an outlaw nation representing all the bunch of pirates, organised rebels, etc. that would certainly be helpful to the mongol project. currently, i have a problem with the mongol project in that if i use rebel scum as the mongols, they could only be mostly infantry, and i want them to be mostly cavalry, but i cant do anything about that coz rebels/pirates/etc cant receive events. Now that i think about it it may actually be a good idea to have a Mongol nation north of the mongolian PTI but the only thing thats stopping me is the promised performance of Russia reaching Siberia;) (i m still waiting for beta 2 results). so if we create an outlaw nation somewhere, that would solve a lot of things. but problem is, where to put it? it has to have some place where it is ensured that it wont be eliminated, otherwise it would ruin all the events.
Don't expect too much from Russia in beta 2; there were a few important things that unfortunately did not get included (better GH disintegration, Sibir event - those two are critical to Russia's success in Siberia).

As for Mongolia... it would be very hard for any single country to conquer them, if they existed on both sides of the PTI, since you need to control all provinces in order to force-annex them. I would suggest having a random event which gives them lots of troops frequently in their southern province(s) when at war though. It also wouldn't help much if both Russia and China made war at the same time (shouldn't be too likely if Russia lacks CBs, culture, religion tolerance slider and AI settings). This is not the proper thread to discuss Mongolia in, though. If you create a new AGC: Mongolia thread, I'll try to participate.
 

unmerged(5822)

Moved on
Sep 20, 2001
7.672
0
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
How do you set an area to generate pirates?

The Mediterranian needs to be full of pirates, Christans preying on Muslims, Muslims preying on Christians, etc. Also, can you turn them off, say with an event. The fall of Rhodes, Ionia, and Cyprus to the Ottomans ought to end piracy in the Eastern Mediterranian.

The Knights of St. John were pirates with a country, BTW, and so was Algeria.
1. I hope it can be done in some settings somewhere.
2. I don't think piracy can be regulated like that, though... only fortifications help improve the situation when pirates can appear randomly. Of course, an anti-piracy event could add +1 fortress to all provinces in the affected area... that ought to cut down on it a lot.
 

unmerged(5822)

Moved on
Sep 20, 2001
7.672
0
Originally posted by Captain Krunch
Wasn't Taiwan and some islands in the Caribbean controlled by pirates for some time?
If you can find more info on those Caribbean islands, it would be great.
 

unmerged(5822)

Moved on
Sep 20, 2001
7.672
0
Originally posted by Sun_Zi_36
no, i want to make sure Russia could NOT eliminate a 2 province Mongolia along Siberia, otherwise the events wont fire... but there is another problem, if we have a mongolian nation fighting China, it would allow the AI to act irrationally by wrongly concluding peace treaties, etc. is there really no way of giving rebels events or changing the number of cavalries that appear with them?

hm... which solution is better, rebel scum or new nation for Mongolia.... i m really at a loss.
1. For a really evil AI, one can simply set 'ferocity = yes' in the AI config file... it won't stop before a complete victory is achieved by either side.
2. Rebels can't get event, nor can their army compositions be tinkered with.
 

unmerged(11496)

Defender/Avenger
Oct 31, 2002
973
0
Visit site
Shiver me timbers!, Avast ye scurvy dogs, we're to sail around the Spanish main and seize their gold doubloons!

<ahem> 'scuse me, just had to get that out of my system :eek:

Can you ghost a province to serve dual functions? Like intentionally giving ownership to two nations at once, except the ownership of one of the nations never goes away, regardless of who else actually controls it?

Where I'm going with this is could it be possible to make a sea-zone a pirate nation that would exist forever, regardless of who sails through it or has ships hanging out there? Something remote in the Pacific, I would think...

That would provide your event anchor, anyway...

Arrr, matey...arrr...