• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(11796)

The Gigantic Squirrel
Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
I think there should be a lot of new events (not to hard to script) for large expanding nations to change their (historically) conquerd provinces to their culture. This mostly goes for Russia. I realy doubt that, for example, Kazan or Saratow had mostly mongol population afther 1600 or so. Besides Russia, Poland should profit from this (I think there was something like this in the AGC), changing Danzing and/or Silesia to polish culture. Also some of this events should be by choice, like Venice italianizating Istria (if we go for slavonic Istria, like in the EEP), afther 1700 (if they still keep it). Also I think a lot of exapmles like this are to be included (Uzbeks, Persia...)

All in all, I believe these events would be welcome, and the effort needed, not to grave. Caution is needed, however, as this changes should follow (more or less) history, and should not happen anytime before 1500, and mostly afther 1600.

Agreed, there is a lack of events that allow some nations to reach their historical culture size. As you said, it would be simple to script.

I don't like this unless it is strictly limited. Most of the examples you cite seem reasonable, although you should keep in mind that Venice kept Istria through 1797, and outside of the urban elite it wasn't paticularly Italianized.

I don't like this unless it is strictly limited. Most of the examples you cite seem reasonable, although you should keep in mind that Venice kept Istria through 1797, and outside of the urban elite it wasn't paticularly Italianized.
True, it would need to be limited. I would recommend using Nappy's Ambition as a guide to what's reasonable.

Yes, reasnoble, that's why I advised caution, and Istria maybe wasn't the best example, but I really think there are stuff to be done here. So, I urge anyone who has an idea as to where this should be implemented, please say. I propose the following:

mongol to russian (Kazan, Stratow, Bogutjar, Ufa, Samara, Volgograd*...)
german to polish (Danzig, Silesia, Hinterpommern*...)
turkoman (in the EEP) to uzbek (kara kum, karabogaz...)
baluchi to persian (mekran, zahedan*...)
basque to iberian (Navarra*)

Please, feel free to add anything you think of.

* stands for uncertanty

I'm all for the Russian idea, not sure about the others. Navarra is a debatable topic because the area was "Spanish-ised" but there were still basques in the area...I'm not sure about which was the majority (lol and I'm part Basque hehe) so it *may* be able to go either way

The Events are certainly worth posting for discussion if nothing else...

Originally posted by Alfihar
In any case, I believe it should always be optional.

What do you mean optional? I agree, we need a consensus on this one, as it could bring some major changes in the game. But I hope, under optional, you mean that there should be the option to turn it on or off.

Originally posted by zBla
What do you mean optional? I agree, we need a consensus on this one, as it could bring some major changes in the game. But I hope, under optional, you mean that there should be the option to turn it on or off.

Optional as in getting events that let you choose whether or not to change the culture of your conquered provinces.

Originally posted by Alfihar
Optional as in getting events that let you choose whether or not to change the culture of your conquered provinces.

Yes, definitely. We can even set it up so that the action a is NO.

If it would be limited to places where the culture actually changed, then why would there be an option given whether you wanted it to change or not? It would seem if option A was no, it'd just screw the AI more often than the player.

I don't have any event creation experience, but would it be possible to create a very general event that says something like this and owuld fire every time you gain a province?:

if
province is conquered

option
a
don't change
b
change culture to 1st state culture
c
change culture to 3rd state culture
etc.

if b, c, etc then
for 50 years higher revolt risk in province
-50 gold
after 50 years culture changes

I don't have any event creation experience, but would it be possible to create a very general event that says something like this and owuld fire every time you gain a province?

You could do it, but it would take more than one event.

It's hardly a desirable change though. I mean events that change culture (other than in very specific cases where it happened or there is an excellent justification) simply serve to undermine the whole point of the culture system.

Originally posted by Isaac Brock
It's hardly a desirable change though. I mean events that change culture (other than in very specific cases where it happened or there is an excellent justification) simply serve to undermine the whole point of the culture system.

It would be penalised and take some time. In history, France only conquered certain provinces, in EU II you can conquer any province as France. So if historically, countries sometimes actively changed the culture of certain provinces, you should be able to do that to any province you conquer in EU II.