• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mad King James

Buzzkill Extraordinaire
66 Badges
Jan 18, 2002
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
Ireland is just...wrong.

Ok there are several ways to represent Ireland, and the one in EU2 is the worst. I see 2 real possibilities..

1: The high king of Ireland was the King of England. If we're going to represent Ireland as one state under the high king, we're a lot better off just giving it wholesale to England.

2: If we're going to represent Ireland accurately however, we need to make a bunch of Irish states who are vassals of, but not allied with, England. As this will take at least 3 new tags, you probably will want to go with option 1.

If not however...
ireland.jpg

Given these two options I'd go for 1 any day, since otherwise we'll see Irish states in all sorts of alliances and an island eventually divided by England, France, Scotland, Aragon and you name it. 2 cannot be an option.
I think I have seen events in EEP taking into account the regional incoherence, for a state struggling to form. To get a common legal code etc.

Originally posted by The Captain
The problem I have with this is Eire is one of my favorite nations to play.

I know man, but it's an anacronysm, Ireland STILL isn't united into a single state, and it's 2003 for chrissake ;)

Originally posted by mnorrefeldt
Given these two options I'd go for 1 any day, since otherwise we'll see Irish states in all sorts of alliances and an island eventually divided by England, France, Scotland, Aragon and you name it. 2 cannot be an option.
I think I have seen events in EEP taking into account the regional incoherence, for a state struggling to form. To get a common legal code etc.

I know what you mean abut Eire being divided up between other powers....it seems to always happen every game, due to Ireland getting into stupid alliances, and the ability of the AI's attritionaless navies. An interesting solution that I think might work to solve this problem is done in the Mongolian Empire Scenario. The island of Eire there is covered by Terra Incognito for most of the countries of Europe. (except Scotland, England) This seems to work well, and I would suggest it for the AGCEEP.

Late,
Jester

The problem with modelling Ireland is, at 1419, there wasn't an Irish state and there wasn't English control over Ireland. The best way to model would be:
-Give England Meath
-Have a nation of Ireland in the rest of Ireland and have it vassalized to England.
-Give it event effects for chaos, like +10 RR for like 70 years, complete decentralization, -3 stability, etc.
-After these 70 years there should be some sort of unification choice like -
-attempt to unify Irish people (-6 stability, massive RR, war with England because England wouldn't want that and England owns Meath)
-Yield to English superiority (+2 stability) - add Irish provinces to English cores (the cores represent a nations claims, not whether or not the areas would really like English rule)

However, for ALL Irish provinces, have constant RR for anyone controlling them.

I know it would be incredibly hard to survive as Ireland, but I think its possible. Its easy to survive RR and instability as a minor, and war with england can be assisted with an alliance and smart playing.

Ireland and Scotland should have fantasy "unification events". Like if Scotland conquers Ireland or vice versa you could have "The Gaelic Unification". It would give cores on Ireland if you're Scotland or vice versa. I know this seems odd now, but, at the time, Scots and Irish were quite united in hatred for the English. Edward the Bruce, brother of Robert the Bruce, attempted to take Ireland and had Irish support. However, the Welsh and Brittany were NOT Gaelic at all and were from an entirely different branch. The culture shouldn't even be the same.

How about making Ireland covered with ferocious natives and claimed by English trading posts?

Well then it would be altogether impossible for Ireland to form and Anglosaxon would end up being the culture of the island in like 5/6 games. My idea or the idea of England controlling it with incredible RR are the best ways to attempt it. However, if the tags were available, 3 separate Irish nations and a british Meath would be perfect, but I dont see how it could be done.

Thats exactly my point. So I think its better to show the other 3 provinces as one Ireland, but just have lots of RR and civil wars, complete Decentralization, income loss, etc etc. Basically, I think events should make Eire a chaos state, not a real state.

Originally posted by Phystarstk
Well then it would be altogether impossible for Ireland to form and Anglosaxon would end up being the culture of the island in like 5/6 games. My idea or the idea of England controlling it with incredible RR are the best ways to attempt it. However, if the tags were available, 3 separate Irish nations and a british Meath would be perfect, but I dont see how it could be done.

I think we'd see more cultures than Anglosaxon on Ireland, perhaps Iberian? And I don't share your view that several states would be perfect. The *setup* might be the best, but it will lead to results that are far from good, and even more non-historical behaviour and occupants than we have now.

Hiding it under terra incognita feels strange as well, a player should be able to attack it.

Originally posted by Mad King James
...thus my point that it should probably just be English. The English ruled Ireland in name if not in fact by 1419.

but still there should be *something* showing that it wasn't under control very much (lower base tax? events? RR?)
and perhaps (just as "free wales") a "free ireland" option for those who REALLY want to play ireland

It just plain wasn't a unified state though. Where to put the capital? I mean putting it in Ulster is one solution, except Ulster was the very first Irish kingdom to sell out completely to the English by 1500...