Vile treacherous Judas
- Nov 7, 2001
The current precedents (East India Company events for Netherlands, Scotland, Austria and Denmark, Africa trade company for Brandenburg) do not have any conditions, however should probably have conditions as well. I'd say:Norrefeldt said:This idea sound like a good one. Idontlikeform says he got that old 'discovered' command working, perhaps that can be helpful here. What should these East India Companies trigger on? DP settings (naval, mercantilism/free trade, trade level), a minimum size perhaps. Are there any precedents?
- the respective country should not be completely mercantilist, aristocratic or enserfed, since it would then lack the dynamism from independent private merchants that an East India company requires to take off; however considering that even a very mercantilist and pretty aristocratic France operated a quite successful EIC, these conditions should be lenient - perhaps just that these DPs should be below 9?
- the country should also be somewhat geared towards naval, like land lower than 7; here it might just make sense to exempt France and Austria from the condition
- what kept the EIC's alive was efficient trade, therefore requiring a certain trade level (4?) definitely makes sense, a certain level of naval technology as well perhaps
- we would not want a one-provincer to found an EIC, but need to keep in mind that two pretty small nations - Portugal and Netherlands - ran at least for a while impressively successful Indian enterprises, hence the required countrysize should not be too much, 3-5 provinces maybe
- Portugal (which would not get an EIC, but get the cores on the Indian coast by an appropriate event in the early 16th century)
- Austria (which would some time after founding its EIC have to decide whether to give in to the colonial powers' demands to shut it down or to keep it up)
- Kingdom of Italy
- any suggestions?
For the countries who historically did not have an EIC, founding it would obviously be just a B (or even C) choice. I'm not sure whether it is indeed a good idea to give the event to the Italian states, however I think that huge parts of the MP community, where giving equal chances to Venice and Genoa in the colonial race is quite a popular idea I think, would appreciate this.