• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think we mean the same but write it differently.
I meant that historically Venice lost Cyprus to the Ottomans as the major reason that the holy alliance is built because of the Ottoman threat and the next step is the battle of Lepanto.

And you mean that if Venice has lost the island *to someone else than the turks* before that then the events must be slept right?
That is not necessary. The Lepanto event in the last beta did not take that into account but with my proposed additions Lepanto will not fire if Venice has ahistorically ceded Cyprus to the Ottomans peacefully. The trigger checks if VEN has still a core on Cyprus - if they ceded Cyprus by event they have lost that core and Lepanto won´t happen.

And the "Battle of Lepanto" event requires the spanish "Holy League" SPA 3161event to have fired before which requires the papal "Holy League" PAP 3549 event to have fired.

And PAP 3549 with my changes requires the Ottomans to be a real threat to the mediterranean like they historically where: Either neighbour of the papal states or controlling Cyprus (historical reason) or controlling Crete, Tunisia (ahistorically early) or Vienna (ahistorical but possible as they sieged it twice in history).

So my proposed changes make it much less likely that the Battle of Lepanto event fires than before.

That is the reason that Venice has event 3637 in which they have 3 choices. Historically paying tribute and keeping the island for a while longer, preparing for war or leaving the island to the Ottomans.

Right. And that is the reason "Lepanto" must still be able even if VEN lost Cyprus to the Ottomans. Because historically Lepanto happened 2 month after they lost Cyprus to the Ottomans.

OK, but you must realise that SPA was already in conflict with the TUR via the barbary corsairs in Tunis, IIRC it was 5 years before Cyprus was invaded. .......I might reread it.
If I am correct, then the SPA version should still procede along a different path

I will test your changes in my games, now

OK, but you must realise that SPA was already in conflict with the TUR via the barbary corsairs in Tunis, IIRC it was 5 years before Cyprus was invaded. .......I might reread it.
If I am correct, then the SPA version should still procede along a different path

I´m certain that we will never achieve the exact historical situation in the game where SPA, KNI, VEN, PAP, GEN are all allied in one war against Algiers and the Ottomans.
With alliances broken when a war starts and a country dishonours and the AI quickly joining whatever alliance has a free slot the game will be a mess with the historical members of the Holy alliance spread among several different alliances.

So requiring them all to be allied to get a battle of Lepanto event would result in it never firing. But I think my suggested changes will make it less likely than before - but still possible and plausible for it to fire.

Remember that you need to change the spanish and papal "holy league" events as well as I use them as a trigger requirement for the spanish battle of lepanto event and before they would only fire on the historical date.

Last edited:
More Lepanto

I forgot that Venice has a "Battle for Lepanto" event too. Updated my post 3214.

Last edited:

What did your tests show? Could I activate the paused submission for post 3214 again?