• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A reform may be general, and named general, but only affect some significant parts of the territory. It was very common in all non-homogenous countries, and still is. Those are words, only words, and you should focus on facts.

The words are not empty but they show what is reorganized. The Kingdom of Germany was definitively the center of the Reich thus the Reform focussed on it but it nevertheless is a reform of the whole Empire's structures because not only Germany was effected but the whole Reich (as I said Burgundy is seperate from German Kingdom and it was still affected). Words can indicate hidden claims and are one of the most powerfull weapons a Nations Leader has in his reservoir they can decide about war and peace. The Reichsreform was not called Reichsreform out of some funny mood but because it's goal was to strengthen the Empire as a whole by creating more effective institutions. If you would have gone to the Holy Roman Emperor and telling him that his domain is neither holy nor roman nor even an empire you could have expected to be executed on the next day. Same it is with every word which indicates claims. Why do you think there were some serious conflicts about the right to be called Emperor ? Even Napoleon wanted to be Emperor because although only a title (an empty word :I) it brought enormous prestige.

The New World is the New World, Europe is Europe. The search for statu quo was for Europe, christian Europe in fact. His dream was a crusade, and France prevented him by its aggressivity, but Charles/Karl/Carlos only ever sought statu quo between christian princes
He did not sought status quo out of his ideals but because of political reasons. There were many problems he had to solve (Turkish onslaught, French agression, Reformation,) and it would have been impossible for him to fight the Protestants the French and the Ottomans all at once thus he needed to ensure some stability within the Empire and at the borders of the HRE. Still he was rutheless enough to expand Habsburg power in Italy or to make the Netherlands a entity seperate from both France and HRE. Beside the New World is not something entirely different. It shows that Charles had imperialistic ambitions.

Sure, Ferdinand would have asked, and been granted, support, but not in exchange of submission,
Charles would surely have demandet it. He was not agreeing to give Ferdinand full independance from Habsburg (!) policy in the Austria why should he give him full independance from Habsburg policy in Hungary ? He wouldn't risk Ferdinand or any of his heirs fighting and weakening the Empire.

but only affect some significant parts of the territory

Don't get me wrong giving Bohemia to Germany as soon as the first reforms are carried out would be wrong but it would also not be very historical to prevent a reformed HRE (which IS the ultimate goal of the reform) artificialy from annexing Bohemia during the procedure of further uniting the rest of the HRE territorys. In fact they should recieve it after a given time.

Again read carefully:
1st Extended Reforms are carried out thus allowing the Emperor to centralize the HRE These reforms are starting in Germany but will be in a step by step procedure to be carried out in the other HRE regions as well (Perhaps excluding Italy)
2nd Bohemian reaction: Fearing to loose it's special status within the Empire if the Emperor continues the reforms Bohemia resists (absolutely logical because now we have not only the historical reform but some extended and more successfull version)
3rd If the Emperor manages to break Bohemian resistance It becomes vassall or ally of Germany an gets annexed (+claims) later on by event.
This event chain would offer a reason why Bohemia would not be inherited by Habsburg (they don't like each other anymore) and it would make annexiation of Bohemia not to difficult.

The HRE would not "give up" these lands, it would just not be able to extend the reforms to them initially; as I have said, there should be a possibility to integrate these territories (and gain cores) in later events.
This was proposed by TwoFlower and I am perfectly satisfied with an option for further reforms (as long as they won't be that hard to achieve than the first one :p ) and what I proposed above is just one option to handle it after Germany is founded because I bet not only France and Poland but also Bohemia would be very distrustfull to an Emperor who just united a major part of the HRE under his rule. It's up to you to decide when the Bohemians will start to resist or wether they will resist at all. It was just proposed due to the tendency to limit Germany/HRE's power but if you want Bohemia can of course join the centralized HRE peacefully (I would prefer this for it offers the possibility to give HRE Czech and Slowak culture :p ).

Last edited:
I hope to have posted something includable soon and in time for 1.37. One question I have been wondering about is what to do with monarch numbering, i.e. how to accomodate the fact that e.g. the Hapsburgs Friedrich III and Maximilian I may or may not have been emperor so that Friedrich Wilhelm of Hohenzollern and Maximilian of Wittelsbach might correctly be Friedrich III Wilhelm or Friedrich IV Wilhelm and Maximilian I or Maximilian II as emperor after their countries have united Germany. Obviously creating lots of multiple versions of several monarchs that differ just by their numbers would be quite too much effort for such a relatively unimportant "flavour" detail. Therefore I think it would be best to, for the purposes of numbering, pretend that the dynasty founding Germany has been emperor since the death of Sigismund in 1437, so that all historical emperors except Sigismund are ignored. This means that the monarch file has a Hapsburg Friedrich III and Hohenzollern Friedrich III, Friedrich IV etc and a Palatine Friedrich III der Siegreiche, Friedrich IV der Weise etc. Any objections to that?

Twoflower, this stuff is looking great. :)

Hello, I'm trying to get my "force unification" events to be compatible with AGCEEP 1.37 (compatibility with event IDs, tags, and Twoflower's excellent monarch and leader files), but I'm having trouble citing the german_unification.txt file in my directory. When I include the event = "AGCEEP\Events\german_unification.txt" line in the events.txt file, I get an "illegal command" error when the game loads. Same problem if I try to get the AGCEEP_Specific_Germany.eue file to work. Anybody know how to correct this?

Norrefeldt said:
Can you explain what you mean with "German leaders are muslim"?

When I have the event (after correction of the general event file) hohenzollern leaders have muslim names (turkish maybe).

All annexation events don't work. Countries accept to be annexed but I haven't the event.

Hey, I was wondering if some of you could help me out in figuring out what's wrong with my unification events. Under EEP, the file worked fine, but I'm running into troubles here. The file compiles ok, no errors. When I tried a crude test (removing triggers or changing ownership to speed up the process), it worked once but now, whenever a chance of this event comes around, the game outright crashes. Here is the code for the event in question:

Code:
##################################
# The German Crown (durch Kraft) #
##################################
event = {
id = 132027
random = no
country = BRA
trigger = { 	owned = { province = 346 data = -1 } #Mainz
		owned = { province = 345 data = -1 } #Pfalz
		owned = { province = 328 data = -1 } #Bohemia
		owned = { province = 312 data = -1 } #Brandenburg
		owned = { province = 331 data = -1 } #Sachsen
		owned = { province = 344 data = -1 } #Koln
		owned = { province = 349 data = -1 } #Bayern
		owned = { province = 310 data = -1 } #Hannover
		emperor = yes
		atwar = no #must be at peace
                NOT = { badboy = 10 }
	  }

name = "The German Crown"
desc = "Through a sustained campaign of military conquest, clever diplomatic 
maneuver, and stalwart will, Brandenburg has positioned itself, so that the 
Crown of Germany is now within reach. By overcoming all of the Imperial 
Electors and major rivals in Germany, and in particular, humbling the Emperor 
himself, Brandenburg now has a claim to the German Crown that, if anathema 
to the nations of Europe, is clearly established by force."
style = 0

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1419 }
deathdate = { day = 31 month = december year = 1820 }
offset = 800
action_a = {
name = "The Crown is Mine"
                 command = { type = badboy value = 8 } 
                 command = { type = revoltrisk which = 60 value = 5 }
                 command = { type = revolt which = -1 } 
                 command = { type = stability value = -5 }
                 command = { type = treasury value = -500 } #extravagant coronation
                 command = { type = domestic which = aristocracy value = 3 } 
                 command = { type = domestic which = centralization value = -3 } 
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132028 } #Saxony's Reaction - permanent casus belli, -250 relations
		 command = { type = breakvassal which = SAC }
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = SAC }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132029 } #Baden's Reaction
		 command = { type = breakvassal which = BAD }
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = BAD }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132030 } #Bavaria's Reaction
		 command = { type = breakvassal which = BAY }
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = BAY }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132031 } #Berg's Reaction
		 command = { type = breakvassal which = MUN }
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = MUN }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132032 } #Bremen's Reaction
		 command = { type = breakvassal which = BRE }
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = BRE }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132033 } #Tyrol's Reaction
		 command = { type = breakvassal which = U19 }
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = U19 }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132034 } #Hessen's Reaction
		 command = { type = breakvassal which = HES }
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = HES }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132035 } #Pommerania's Reaction
		 command = { type = breakvassal which = POM }
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = POM }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132036 } #Holstein's Reaction
		 command = { type = breakvassal which = SHL }
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = SHL }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132037 } #Cleves' Reaction
		 command = { type = breakvassal which = KLE }
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = KLE }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132038 } #Strassburg's Reaction
		 command = { type = breakvassal which = STR }
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = STR }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132039 } #Lorraine's Reaction
		 command = { type = breakvassal which = LOR }
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = LOR }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132040 } #Mecklenburg's Reaction
		 command = { type = breakvassal which = MEC }
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = MEC }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132041 } #Oldenburg's Reaction
		 command = { type = breakvassal which = OLD }
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = OLD }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132042 } #Palatinate's Reaction
		 command = { type = breakvassal which = PFA }
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = PFA }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132043 } #Stettin's Reaction
		 command = { type = breakvassal which = SLZ }
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = SLZ }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132044 } #Wurttemberg's Reaction
		 command = { type = breakvassal which = WUR }
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = WUR }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132045 } #Bayreuth's Reaction
		 command = { type = breakvassal which = THU }
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = THU }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132067 } #Luxembourg's Reaction
		 command = { type = breakvassal which = LUX }
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = LUX }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132046 } #England's Reaction 
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = ENG }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132047 } #France's Reaction
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = FRA }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132048 } #Spain's Reaction
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = SPA }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132049 } #Castille's Reaction
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = CAS }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132050 } #Aragon's Reaction
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = ARG }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132051 } #Portugal's Reaction
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = POR }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132052 } #Burgundy's Reaction
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = BUR }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132053 } #Papacy's Reaction
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = PAP }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132054 } #Austria's Reaction
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = HAB }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132055 } #Poland's Reaction
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = POL }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132056 } #Lithuania's Reaction
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = LIT }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132057 } #Denmark's Reaction
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = DAN }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132058 } #Sweden's Reaction
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = SWE }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132059 } #Teutonic Order's Reaction
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = LAT }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132060 } #Prussia's Reaction
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = PRU }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132061 } #Italy's Reaction
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = ITA }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132066 } #Bohemia's Reaction
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = BOH }
                 command = { type = trigger which = 132068 } #Styria's Reaction
              	 command = { type = breakdynastic which = PRM }
		 command = { type = desertion which = 10000 value = -1 } # desertions
		 command = { type = desertion which = 10000 value = -1 }
		 command = { type = desertion which = 10000 value = -1 }
		 command = { type = setflag which = Force_Germany }#we are trying to form GER
}

action_b = {
name = "We will reject this burden"
command = { type = stability value = -1 }
command = { type = relation which = BAD value = 200 }
command = { type = relation which = BAY value = 200 }
command = { type = relation which = MUN value = 200 }
command = { type = relation which = BRE value = 200 }
command = { type = relation which = HAN value = 200 }
command = { type = relation which = HES value = 200 }
command = { type = relation which = POM value = 200 }
command = { type = relation which = HOL value = 200 }
command = { type = relation which = KLE value = 200 }
command = { type = relation which = KOL value = 200 }
command = { type = relation which = LOR value = 200 }
command = { type = relation which = MEC value = 200 }
command = { type = relation which = OLD value = 200 }
command = { type = relation which = PFA value = 200 }
command = { type = relation which = SLZ value = 200 }
command = { type = relation which = WUR value = 200 }
command = { type = relation which = THU value = 200 }
command = { type = sleepevent which = 132062 }
}
}

There's no event ID conflict, and I can't think it's a spacing error or anything like that...I updated the tags for 1.37...why would it crash upon triggering? It happens if I do the F12 trick...it happens if I removed all triggers and let it occur. Any ideas?

The full slate of my events are here: www.geocities.com/vercellae/AGCEEP_Specific_Germany.zip if someone wants to look or test, feel free (if you do use this file, backup your original AGCEEP_Specific_Germany.eue file). They're merged in the same file with Twoflower's reform events, which is way you should back things up. :) Like I said, it worked once, but not it just crashes. I'd appreciate any help.

how to unify german???

What should i do to unify Germany? Sorry if it was mention before. I have looked in event file, all condition i have done. I play Brandenburg, i am an emperor, i have conquered almost all german provincies. the year is 1620.

Last edited:
AFAIK the only way currently in the game is by Imperial Reform, and for that to happen you have to have either vassalised or +150 relations with most of the electors, less than 6 BB, and be the Emperor.

I gotta throw this in as an observation from watching the event results in a couple of games.

France has a very hard time staying alive! In the one game I played and the three games I have observed (only played them long enough to get the unification sequence to fire over then backed away and let the AI handle it), France gets stomped bloody in the wars of religion! In all of them France usually ends up a 4 or so province minor with Spain and Germany gobbling up sections. In one game Brittany controlled half of France, with France itself being a two province minor and the rest of it in English and Spanish hands ( and I should mention that Burgandy formed France in this one ).

I have also seen a Hapsburg unification go somehow tragicaly wrong... "Germany" at one point was..actually Switzerland, Austria proper (minus Bohemia/Hungary) and the whole of Italy minus Sienna.. really should have grabbed a screen shot of that one and the one in which Germany encounters an Orthodox Inca empire and proceeds to diploannex them giving them the bulk of South America...

Once some more events are written or modified to take into account Germany as a possibility (like the tin and silver mine events in Saxony which will happen to Germany just as easily as Saxony..etc), and Germany is added to the list of possible nations that can be elected HRE (nothing odder then having a unified Germany as the only "elector" voting the King of Spain at -200 relations their overlord...), then this is going to be a whole lot of fun.

I've got a little question. I'm playing as Brandengurg. So far, I've managed to be elected emperor, diplo-annex Saxony and Hinterpommern, and buy Kustrin from the Teutonic Order. I'm allied with Bavaria and the Palatinate, and have 200 relation with them. Bavaria controls Mainz, wich is a elector, at least I think so. So I would like to know if they (Bavaria) are electors now. The same question goes for Koln, wich is controled by Burgundy. Are Bavaria and Burgundy electors now?

MarianoV said:
I've got a little question. I'm playing as Brandengurg. So far, I've managed to be elected emperor, diplo-annex Saxony and Hinterpommern, and buy Kustrin from the Teutonic Order. I'm allied with Bavaria and the Palatinate, and have 200 relation with them. Bavaria controls Mainz, wich is a elector, at least I think so. So I would like to know if they (Bavaria) are electors now. The same question goes for Koln, wich is controled by Burgundy. Are Bavaria and Burgundy electors now?

I believe that Bavaria always is an elector? and Burgundy is not. There is an easy way to tell, in game--put your cursor over the shield of that country in the religious map. The text that appears gives information regarding the Holy Roman Empire

DSMyers1 said:
I believe that Bavaria always is an elector? and Burgundy is not. There is an easy way to tell, in game--put your cursor over the shield of that country in the religious map. The text that appears gives information regarding the Holy Roman Empire

You have all electors in the country.csv file.
Bavaria is an elector and Burgundy no.

You cannot become an elector other than by becoming one of the Electorates. IIRC they're Brandenburg, Koln, Mainz, Saxony, and Palatinate, but there might be others.

Germany as Elector?

If unified Germany manages to form, shouldn't it become an elector? Maybe even 2 votes like Bohemia, Saxony, Italy (!), etc.

This is easily changed by adding a 1 or 2 to the electors field for GER in country.csv.