• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
mandead said:
A king should have a regnal name; the question is whether he ought to be II or VIII... he could be Karl II Bonde or Karl VIII Bonde, however.

There is an ongoing debate about nicknames, but if his seems to be universal as you say (and evidence of course backs you up here) then there's nothing wrong with giving him Bonde as a suffix. :)

-So he shall even when he himself (or anyone else) never used it! Why not rename Erik XIV to Erik III (or whatever the 'correct' numeral is)? There's no history or precendece of naming him Karl II or VIII in Swedish literature.

-As Wilhelm indeed says, Bonde was the name that his family later adopted and used insted of a partonymikon. He himself did not use it as part of his name, but it is added now-a-days to distinguish him from other Karl Knutssons.

Edit: I've been looking for those coins that give his name as Karl II, but have yet to find one. I will however continue to look (I might even go to the city library for this reason only).

Last edited:
Let me know what you find out regarding the coins. :)

As for this debate, we should wait for others' opinions.

I am not being obtuse, I am simply trying to enforce a precedent/rule on monarch names... :)

mandead said:
Let me know what you find out regarding the coins. :)

As for this debate, we should wait for others' opinions.

I am not being obtuse, I am simply trying to enforce a precedent/rule on monarch names... :)
-Will do.

-Agreed (we might even want to move this debate to the 'Scandinavia'-thread in the meantime? ;))

-I know you ain't. But what I'm trying to tell you is that this is in a way the exception to the rule. It makes more sense to keep his name the way it is, than to change it. :)