• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If I can intervene in the debate, I don't really see where is the historical signifiance of a splitting of the french culture. Provencal culture has been integrated for one or two centuries, and I don't see where could be the alternative. :confused:

To weaken France (a little, after all this kingdom stayed the most powerful in population and wealth), I see two credible things :

1) As it was said, remove (until events) shields on Britanny and (maybe) Roussillon. The second is not a need, but for the first it could be good : after all, this is only because the king acquired the legitimacy of Duke of Britanny that he was accepted, not before. So, wait until wedding of Anne (and later if Anne choose the Habsbourg pretender).

2) Add some hard events of revolts, very soon in the game. French kings fought all along 15th and 16th centuries against nobiliar revolts (sometimes with the addition of religious reasons, as during the wars of Religion), and this is the main reason why French kingdom don't expand more despite his enormous advantages.
So we can add some times of troubles, more or less powerful : Praguerie in 1440 (not really great troubles, avoided thanks to Charles VII), Ligue du Bien Public in 1460 as precise events, but also some random events specifically hard, to illustrate this constant noble agitation. :)

Originally posted by Twoflower
There will be no more French vassals in the new HYW setup Sire Philippe created. However since it will generally give France a much harder time fighting back against the English, there might be hope that general balance will be much better without any further changes (not to likely though since it does not actually weaken united France).
Generally, France has a much tougher time against England using Sire Philippe's setup. As long as Burgundy supports England, France will have a very bad time indeed. But, no matter what is done in the end, those that seek historical outcomes will be more often than not, cheated by the ai.

Originally posted by Sire Philippe

So we can add some times of troubles, more or less powerful : Praguerie in 1440 (not really great troubles, avoided thanks to Charles VII), Ligue du Bien Public in 1460 as precise events, but also some random events specifically hard, to illustrate this constant noble agitation. :)

It seems to me that the Breton shields can go. I like this idea in particular - if the random events have an aristocracy trigger they could even provide a strong reason for France to reduce aristocracy.

Originally posted by Jacob Oppenheim
Do you think that the breton provinces should change to French culture at some point in time?

I was for a change as soon as the publication of the Edict of Villers-Cotteret, in 1539. By forcing britton administration to work only in french language, and progressively impose the french culture to the nobility, the provinces clearly integrated to french cultural era.

NB : In fact, britton culture was "contaminated" by french for a long time, and celtic language only massively speaken in the west of Brittany (province id = 415). The two others should be "french" as soon as 1419 (but at least surely for id = 416 ; Nantes was clearly a "gallo" city in beggining of 15th century).

So, I'm clearly for a change. Britton specificity has been definitively reduced during EU2 period. If it's done for Bearn (after Wars of Religion), it could be done in the same way for Britanny.

We can also wait until french Revolution (if any), which has totally restructured the notion of "Nation" : I'm for a "conversion" on provinces owning by France to french culture in 1789. So Britanny (but also Alsace) could be integrated. :)

Originally posted by Sire Philippe
I was for a change as soon as the publication of the Edict of Villers-Cotteret, in 1539. By forcing britton administration to work only in french language, and progressively impose the french culture to the nobility, the provinces clearly integrated to french cultural era.
I like this idea! But then I was always a sucker for history. :D The question is do we always code it to hit in 1539, or use a trigger and a date range so it can occur earlier or later?

A quick transcription :

event = {
id = xxx
trigger = {
domestic = { type = centralization value = 8 } # French king must be already administratively powerful #
NOT = { domestic = { type = aristocracy value = 7 } }
}
random = no
country = FRA

name = " The Edict of Villers-Cotteret "
desc = " In 1539, François Ier, King of France, published the Edict of Villers-Cotteret, in order to impose the use of the speaking of Ile-de-France everywhere in the kingdom for official documents. This decision, combined with influence of the royal court, caused a progressive decline of regional speakings, with the progressive 'conversion' of nobilities and others officials to the dominant culture."
style = 1
date = { year = 1539 }
offset = 300
deathdate = { year = 1789 }

action_a = {
name = " French speaking for French Kingdom ! "
command = { type = stability value = -1 }
command = { type = revoltrisk which = 24 value = 2 }
command = { type = provinceculture which = -1 value = french }
}
}

I think that, in 17th century, another event of the same type could appear, then in 18th (I'm for 1789, or maybe 1790 - Federation's Holiday). I don't specificaly target Britanny (as France could expand in another direction), but it could be preferable. :)

The Edict of Villers-Cotteret

I think this event would be a hard sell as written, a little too random. I believe a good many people would have trouble accepting provinces in the heart of Germany or Italy becoming French. If the goal is to allow a culture change in a province France tried to claim, an event chain targeting that province would be better.

Too bad their isn't a command that lets you limit it to a list of provinces.

Re: The Edict of Villers-Cotteret

Originally posted by Lord Tarleton
I think this event would be a hard sell as written, a little too random. I believe a good many people would have trouble accepting provinces in the heart of Germany or Italy becoming French. If the goal is to allow a culture change in a province France tried to claim, an event chain targeting that province would be better.

Too bad their isn't a command that lets you limit it to a list of provinces.

yes too Random

I have seen Fracne be so Uber in the game that I would propose that The two most Eastern Brittany provinces go French around the time of the Revolution.

Late,
Jester