• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Otoh,

here are two events the game desparately needs:

Code:
#Goes in normal event file
event = {
id = 138001
trigger = {}
random = no
country = BYZ
name = "I ... am ... Iron ... Man"
desc = "Did you not want to activate the Fantasy events for the Empire?"
date = { day = 3 month = January year = 1419 }

action_a = {
name = "Don't want 'em, don't need 'em"
command = { }
}
action_b = {
name = "Ooops... be right back..."
command = { }
}
action_c = {
name = "What events?"
command = { type = trigger which = 138002 }
}
}
Code:
#Goes in normal event file
event = {
id = 138002
random = no
country = BYZ
name = "Fantasy Events"
desc = "Basically, if you want anything at all to happen after 1453 (good, bad, or ugly but in any case, non-historical), you need to surrender this game and make sure to activate the Fantasy Events in the Game Options menu before you start your new Byzantine Empire Campaign."

action_a = {
name = "Oh"
command = { }
}
}

I always forget. :p

jay.

So I don't forget

I'll just paste this over from its appearance in the German thread:

Truchses said:
And though you don't like my suggestions I strongly support implementation of Coptic.

[NB. I reaffirmed that I thought his suggestions were great - for people playing countries other than BYZ :D ]

jay.

Plug

And if you come by here and didn't see - I put all the events I've scripted so far for BYZ over here. Feedback is loved, as always, either there or here.

jay.

|AXiN| said:
Those last two events need to not trigger if Fantasy events are selected, though.

Currently, they're slept by the first event in the fantasy series, which fires 1 Jan 1419. Alternatively, they can be slept by a new "ai" event which activates without appearing on the screen.

jay.

Llywelyn said:
Code:
name = "Mwahahahahahaha! Plus tauri!" #more bulls
command = { type = religion which = pagan }
[B]command = { type = inherit which = SPR } [/B] 
command = { type = treasury value = 100 }
command = { type = domestic which = aristocracy value = 5 }

Are you sure this is what you mean? Don't you mean
Code:
command = { type = country which = SPR }
? :rolleyes:

Although I'm the last one here to say that insanity is bad, I seriously doubt that this event will ever make it to the AGCEEP. It's a little too fantasy for most I think, I love the BYZ stuff though! :)

Hallsten said:
Are you sure this is what you mean? Don't you mean
Code:
command = { type = country which = SPR }
? :rolleyes:

I said he went crazy, not dumb. :)

Although I'm the last one here to say that insanity is bad, I seriously doubt that this event will ever make it to the AGCEEP. It's a little too fantasy for most I think, I love the BYZ stuff though! :)

Yeah - I wrote it in the knowledge that it was prolly never leaving the boards - still, even though I put them down a little in the event, there really are dozens of people who asked for an event along those lines over the years - and once you make it a pagan state, like i said, it's really fun to play :)

It's funny though - what's the fantasy option for if the only things in it are plausible historical outcomes? :) Am I right, people?

jay.

Llywelyn said:
It's funny though - what's the fantasy option for if the only things in it are plausible historical outcomes? :) Am I right, people?

jay.

I think that the HC wants the "fantasy"-option to reflect moderately unlikely situations. I admit that a surviving BYZ is highly unlikely, but if it had happened it's very unlikely that it could make a just claim to e.g. France. I'll probably use the event for my next BYZ-game though... :D

Llywelyn said:
Not so much - unless the Empire accommodated itself to the Armenian lords and their religious practices, my thought is you would get an exact replay of previous history - two Christian enclaves constantly feuding, the Empire subjugating Armenia only to get a constantly revolting ethnicity, and then some central Asian or Arabian power coming up and knocking them both around. Natch, the player should be more accepting, at the cost of some unrest at home.

The Armenians weren't under the Turks until later - they're at different ends of the peninsula - but they were just coming off of a fairly glorious streak as a largely independent kingdom under the suzerainty of the Caliph in Baghdad. The Mongol invasions and Timur ripped right through 'em, and the Muslims were beginning to get less tolerant, IIRC. The online book is actually pretty fun reading - there's a great scene where a Byzantine prelate is making fun of an exiled Armenian lord by going on and on about his dog, who he just happened to have renamed "Armenian," until the lord has enough of it, has his guys throw the prelate and the dog into a sack and beats the dog until it goes feral and rips the prelate to pieces.

Or am I not supposed to be amused by that now that we've got civilization? :)
jay.

Of course they weren't under the ottos, that's easy to see in the 1419 setup of the game... :eek:o

Anyway, my point was that maybe old differences might be set aside for the good of christianity (or whatever) but if they want to rebel I guess they should... :rolleyes:

With respect to basetax/manpower, cultures and scripted revolts, what will the net results from the "kill the turks"- and "befriend the turks"-options be respectively?

EDIT: Regarding the prelate and the dog, could this be the reason why some buddhist monks practice martial arts? ;)

Hallsten said:
Of course they weren't under the ottos, that's easy to see in the 1419 setup of the game... :eek:o

Anyway, my point was that maybe old differences might be set aside for the good of christianity (or whatever) but if they want to rebel I guess they should... :rolleyes:

With respect to basetax/manpower, cultures and scripted revolts, what will the net results from the "kill the turks"- and "befriend the turks"-options be respectively?

EDIT: Regarding the prelate and the dog, could this be the reason why some buddhist monks practice martial arts? ;)

Or that D&D clerics always have those staves and maces? who knows? :D

The net is pretty horrific - which is about right - Spain's internal economy was gutted after the expulsion of the Moriscos; it was just the imported gold that kept it gilded for so long. I upped the penalties, but I didn't add any of it up.

In my mind, it should go from worst to best - EXPEL THEM (instant and free conversion and culture; which early on is more profitable than the other solutions and then later isn't because of pop and tax loss) > TURKISH PRINCE (fastest Turkish culture by decades, plus Turkish generals, but no tax bonus goodies) > ACCEPTANCE (some goodies and turkish culture) > COLONIZATION (taking out 10k doesn't affect a 70k tax base, but can really impact a 6 or 1k; Greek culture used the land better than pastoral Turks (although Cheg'll come by to say otherwise :)); it's a blend of the best of both - on the other hand, it doesn't help for azerbaijan etc.).

jay.

Llywelyn said:
# The Malleable Turk
event = {
id = 138290
trigger = {
NOT = { year = 1550 }
NOT = { exists = BYZ }
}
random = YES
country = BYZ
name = "Success is its own reward"
desc = "Overwhelmed by our success and obvious favor in the eyes of the Almighty, some of the Turkish tribes have converted en masse to our faith! No doubt, there will be many with confused or heretical ideas, but the mother church will be there to guide them ... with torches, if need be."
date = { year = 1419 }

action_a = {
name = "Praise be to the Theotokos!" #Mary
command = { type = conversion which = -1 }
}
}
Isn't there a contradiction between the triggers and the country ?

I guess it would be more logical. :eek:o

In addition to that I see that in many events you use '(' instead of '{'.

command = ( type = addcore which = 482 } #Konya
command = { type = addcore which = 483 } #Adana
command = { type = addcore which = 486 } #Nuyssaybin
command = { type = addcore which = 485 } #Aleppo
command = ( type = addcore which = 472 } #Armenia

Llywelyn said:
Or that D&D clerics always have those staves and maces? who knows? :D

The net is pretty horrific - which is about right - Spain's internal economy was gutted after the expulsion of the Moriscos; it was just the imported gold that kept it gilded for so long. I upped the penalties, but I didn't add any of it up.

In my mind, it should go from worst to best - EXPEL THEM (instant and free conversion and culture; which early on is more profitable than the other solutions and then later isn't because of pop and tax loss) > TURKISH PRINCE (fastest Turkish culture by decades, plus Turkish generals, but no tax bonus goodies) > ACCEPTANCE (some goodies and turkish culture) > COLONIZATION (taking out 10k doesn't affect a 70k tax base, but can really impact a 6 or 1k; Greek culture used the land better than pastoral Turks (although Cheg'll come by to say otherwise :)); it's a blend of the best of both - on the other hand, it doesn't help for azerbaijan etc.).

jay.

aaaah, yes... D&D is so much like life itself... :rolleyes: :D

Ok, so colonisation does what expulsion does but slower and without most of the losses?
Turkish prince gives them more autonomy than acceptance or what? I like the idea of being able to salvage some of the killer leaders the ottos have, even though they should be a bit toned down I guess...

Imrryran said:
Isn't there a contradiction between the triggers and the country ?

LOL - yes. The first one should be TUR, not BYZ.

As for the ( thing... I don't know why - It's not even the same button *shrug* :) but yeah, those little errors are the kinds of things that need to be fixed.

[edits it,]
jay.

Last edited:
Hallsten said:
Ok, so colonisation does what expulsion does but slower and without most of the losses?
Turkish prince gives them more autonomy than acceptance or what? I like the idea of being able to salvage some of the killer leaders the ottos have, even though they should be a bit toned down I guess...

Depending on the Armenian events it doesn't really matter, but colonization also makes some provinces Greek (ie Hellenic) that turn Armenian if you just toss out the Turks.

The event kind of explains it, but the deal with the prince going native is just that a couple of generations of Palaiologids grow up surrounded by Turks and Turkish culture and promote them to the Imperial gov't. Whether that's more autonomy than allowing the beys to remain the local lords depends on how centralized you are, I guess. :) The effects end up the same - add_countryculture which = turkish :D

jay.

I've done preliminary debugging on the events in the BYZ annex and added events for Russia, Austria, Spain, and the Papal States. All event overlaps have been removed and obvious errors fixed.

For some reason, though, the Roman Empire event is buggy and will CTD within the month; the mainline events seem to work fine initially but are also unstable and CTD within a few years.

There are a number of programming questions listed within the events as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

jay.

Llywelyn said:
Yeah - is there any sort of tag that accrues to the HRE? ie., that we could use as a tag for a "Reunion of the Empires" event? (I know there's an HRE tag but I don't think it works that way.) It would almost certainly be short lived, but I figure a Catholic Emperor deserves at least 100vp and more like 250vp for pulling it off.

Turns out there is :
Code:
emperor = yes/no

What do people think it should be worth?

EDIT: Yeah, I'm for 150-250 myself.

jay.

Last edited:
everybody got quiet...

Sorry if I posted too much :( but I really would like to get some feedback over the next week about the events I scripted over here.

Also, I created a webpage over on Geocities to store all the events saved into a single file, and to provide all the extra files needed to run them smoothly. That's here.

jay