• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nicephorus

Yeah, I picked up Norwich and didn't find any real mention of the senate. My thoughts were since (in our fantasy timeline) the Roman Empire was essentially reborn, some of the past practices of the Empire might make an appearence. Even though the senate started in the republic's days, just the idea of the re-creation of the Imperial Roman Senate would announce to the world that the Roman Empire was an true empire again. Plus the Roman citizens would feel like they had a say. Scratch one idea.
The art manufactory would reflect the new standing in the world of Constantinople as a culture center. I mean, Constantinople is at the crossroads of three continents and is the capital city of the Empire. That is an unique position.

I did notice thumbing though that the regular citizens did make themselves heard in different ways. They sometimes forced the Emperors into situations that the emperors didn't want. Remember Zoe? And all of her husbands. The people demanded the the current emperor be married to her. And when there was a plot to send her to a nunnery, the people removed the plotting emperor. Plus there are other emperors who were removed through citizen action. Remember the mob did have an effect on the Roman (both) Empire.

This gives me an idea. When I'm playing as BYZ, and finally destroy the OE (after several attempts/restarts:D ) I notice that after 1463 (modified) till early 1500s, my monarchs suck! Maybe we could make an event which gives the R/B empire fantasy monarchs through citizens actions. Maybe the Comnenus' line. We could tie it into the inheritance event of Trebizond. Just a trial balloon. Fire away!!

Nicephorus, how do you think we could improve MJK's 1419- early 1500s events? Or should we continue with our fantasy timeline?

Okay, it's the early 1500s. The OE has been defeated. Constantinople has been rebuilt. Constantinople has a COT. The minor Roman "empires" have been assimilated. Everyone hates the reborn Empire. What's next?

Last edited:
Yeah, let's forget historical accuracy because it would be so much easier.
You sound like a fellow American!

Originally posted by CCR_of_the_Code
Yeah, let's forget historical accuracy because it would be so much easier.
You sound like a fellow American!

Hmm, I though that we were discussing fantasy BYZ events. Anything we make after 1453 is fantasy, isn't it? In fact after a player hits the go button at 1419, history goes out the window for all of the world. I'm not sure if your post was to be humorous (please include smilies next time:D) or to which of my ideas was unrealistic.

I agree that the set-up cultures of asia minor should be changed but that's the way Paradox has it. AKA canon law. It would be very hard to have it changed in the mod community. The AI OE is weak enough. Or are you suggesting that we create our own BYZ mod?

I thought that I gave valid reasons for the art manufactory event. The reason Constantine moved the capital of the Roman Empire to Constantinople was because of the city's strategic land position. That's in addition to my prior reasons.

Idiotboy's leaders are a good mix of good, fair and downright bad! There were many times in 1,123 years that the Empire was saved by a good military leader during a crisis. Don't you think that a resurgent empire wouldn't have had military leaders?

And the Comnenus' line had as much right to the throne as the Palaeologi. Remember Alexius I, John II and Manuel I? My take on an event would be that the Roman citizens (or the military) would remember the past glories of the Empire, see the ineptitude of the Palaeologi (have you seen their ratings??) and demand a change. This happened before in the history of the Empire. Plus from my understanding Alexius Comnenus of Trebizond was an able monarch.

The roman senate event I did retract. I explained why I thought it was a good idea. The majority did not. I'm :cool: about it.

If you posted in jest, accept my apologies:eek:. If not, thanks for the opportunity to get my post total up!!!: :p

mudder

See, people in this period of time had no interest in having a say in state affairs. Almost up to his execution Louis XVI. of France was broadly supported by the peasants who really loved him, because they didn't know better. It was a certain view people in those times had that it was also in God's interest to have the state function as a monarchy. We completely agree that in Ancient Rome they thought different, they wanted the feeling to be represented in a way.
My point is just that we should expel the imagine from our minds that a revived Roman Empire would try to reestablish this, at least nominally, republican institution. The Roman Emperor is enough to represent Rome I think.
Nevertheless we should make an event for the reestablishment of the whole Imperial bureaucracy that I mentioned in previous posts. This should be highly effective for the emperor and only extends his power (should give player centralization, stability and maybe even plutocracy modifiers, plus tax value increases). This could be in the time from '63 to beginning of 1500's. This bureaucracy was so efficient and its also a broad term (starting from the tax collectors of Athens to the emperor's private secretary ;) ). But we should define which provinces the player must own.

About Zoe: I think you are referring to Empress Irene, who tried to get married to Charlemagne. Zoe was Justinians wife. Whatever, Irene was overthrown by palace officials who were backed by the people but also by the army. If the wedding had happened, the Empire would have become part of Charlemagnes Frankish Empire ;).

About Imperial succession: Well the whole thing about Demetrios and the others becoming emperor is simply absurd, since the monarchs.byz assumes that Constantine XI dies in '53 anyway, but as we all know he died defending his empire, and his death marked that empires end. He had sent envoys to Trebizond, King Alfonso V. and even Murad II.'s widow. The trace is lost in Georgia though. This is a very critical point here, but I think we agree that if under his leadership the empire had reconquered certain territories, then he would produce an heir or somebody else capable of succession.

Lets agree on something here btw, before we go any further :cool:

I was always surprised that Paradox didnt hardcode the end of Byzantium as they did with Burgundy. Possibly we could have an event in the early 1440's say, where the player is given a choice - the people are terrified of the Ottoman threat, and revolt - demanding the incompetent Palaeologi be replaced with the Comneni. Or possibly we could introduce, early on, an amazing leader for Byz forces. It is he who is responsible for saving Byzantium because he's a Napoleon-type leader, four centuries earlier. Just way ahead of everyone else. Maybe the populace demands he be the new king.

Whatever, the played is given the choice and if they stick with the old kings, its end of game, you are swallowed by the Turks. Only the new leaders get to play on.

This would enable us to go in new interesting directions, but also to ensure Constantinople was swallowed, if the Ottomas are playing as pathetically as usual.

Originally posted by mudder
Idiotboy

I found and copied your leaders and I am using them for my personal use. They were WAY back there! Good stuff, well balanced. I also copied alot of the events that were posted there but never used by EEP. That's where I got the idea of sacking Venice. The event was originally "Sack of Rome". I gladly give credit to the scripter of the event.
Do we have permisssion to use your leaders? We might not be able to get them all included! Lots of good (and bad) leaders!

mud

Sure go ahead. You can use or rescript or whatever anything I´ve done.:)

Driftwoods and my events however suffer from a fatal flaw (or at least they did back in the day). They have incredibly shitty triggers in some occations. This is of course due to the fact that they were written back in 1.01 and 1.02 days when there weren´t many triggers to use.

Nicephorus

You wrote:

My point is just that we should expel the imagine from our minds that a revived Roman Empire would try to reestablish this, at least nominally, republican institution. The Roman Emperor is enough to represent Rome I think. [ ***** I thought I had already agreed to this:confused:.]
My earlier post----The roman senate event I did retract. I explained why I thought it was a good idea. The majority did not. I'm :cool: (cool) about it.

About Zoe: I think you are referring to Empress Irene, who tried to get married to Charlemagne. Zoe was Justinians wife. Whatever, Irene was overthrown by palace officials who were backed by the people but also by the army. If the wedding had happened, the Empire would have become part of Charlemagnes Frankish Empire ;). [ ***** Zoe was one of three daughters that Constantine VIII had. Zoe was married to the following emperors - Romanus III, Michael IV, Michael V. IF you wanted to be Emperor you had to marry Zoe. Michael V tried with his brother to banish Zoe. A riot of citizens overthrew Michael V and placed both Zoe and her sister Theodora on the throne. Finally Zoe married Constantine IX. Very bad choice by the way! All this happened between 1028 and 1050.:D ]

Originally posted by Von Bek
I was always surprised that Paradox didnt hardcode the end of Byzantium as they did with Burgundy. Possibly we could have an event in the early 1440's say, where the player is given a choice - the people are terrified of the Ottoman threat, and revolt - demanding the incompetent Palaeologi be replaced with the Comneni. Or possibly we could introduce, early on, an amazing leader for Byz forces. It is he who is responsible for saving Byzantium because he's a Napoleon-type leader, four centuries earlier. Just way ahead of everyone else. Maybe the populace demands he be the new king.

Whatever, the played is given the choice and if they stick with the old kings, its end of game, you are swallowed by the Turks. Only the new leaders get to play on.

This would enable us to go in new interesting directions, but also to ensure Constantinople was swallowed, if the Ottomas are playing as pathetically as usual.

This is an excellent IDEA!!! I never thought about this. The event giving Constantinople to the OE would calm some of the disputes about the BYZ fantasy events (because of the weak OE AI) and give us a base to start.

The trigger would be May 29,1453. (The date of the fall).
Choice A : BYZ annexation by OE. Game over.
Choice B : Accept turks peace offer. BYZ moves capital to Morea. Gives Constantinople to the OE.
Choice C : Not sure. Maybe stay in Constantinople without the 'perks'.
Choice D : BYZ will fight on! This choice would activate all of the sleeping leaders/ monarchs, sweetners etc.

With 4 choices the AI would usually choose 'A' 85% of the time. The 'D' choice is chosen 5%.

Borrowed from Harvard's Editing Bible

Two options action_a 85/90 94,4%
action_b S 5/90 5,6%
Three options action_a 85/95 89,4%
action_b 5/95 5,3%
action_c 5/95 5,3%
Four options action_a 85/100 85%
action_b 5/100 5%
action_c 5/100 5%
action_d 5/100 5%

This event would help out the OE AI, plus give us a base to start our events. If the event is still not acceptable to the mod community ( because of the 5% 'D' choice), we could add a second 4 choice event where the 2nd 'D' choice is also needed to activate the special fantasy stuff. The odds of the BYZ AI picking two 'D' choices has to be very low.

Originally posted by Idiotboy
Sure go ahead. You can use or rescript or whatever anything I´ve done.:)

Driftwoods and my events however suffer from a fatal flaw (or at least they did back in the day). They have incredibly shitty triggers in some occations. This is of course due to the fact that they were written back in 1.01 and 1.02 days when there weren´t many triggers to use.

Thank you sir! I like to use # of provs as a trigger for alot of the BYZ fantasy events. Using a certain date (unless it's related to a monarch) can have disavantages to a player, esp if they're struggling. (most my games!:D )

Originally posted by mudder
This event would help out the OE AI, plus give us a base to start our events. If the event is still not acceptable to the mod community ( because of the 5% 'D' choice), we could add a second 4 choice event where the 2nd 'D' choice is also needed to activate the special fantasy stuff. The odds of the BYZ AI picking two 'D' choices has to be very low.

Event 'C' could be 'Make the Comneni our kings' at which point, Byz gains the Trebizond king - Ioannes IV, I think - and Konstantinos is imprisoned and blinded.

Event 'D' could be the army basically having a coup, overthrowing Konstantinos, and placing their Napoleon-esque general in charge. Uber-general probably shouldnt live that long though - just long enough to get some breathing room for the Byz player.

Possible further events could be Konstantinos' brother, Demetrios, having a rebellion to try and claim the throne back. Based out of Morea, obviously. A Dutch Revolts/Wars of Religion 30-year kind of revolt. Assuming the player can survive Demetrios and the Ottomans, then they probably deserve to do all sorts of crazy things as the reformed Roman Empire. (Reformed as in rebuilt, not religion)

Von Bek

The Palaeologi were the legitimate emperors. Although today we can regard them as not the best of Roman emperors, they still had their claim. Comparisons are always difficult but look at the Valois kings. They were not the most capable of French kings but still they were accepted as kings. The Comneni have no such claim. And who in Constantinople should support them? So much about Event C.

Now about Event D. Look at the history books. Everyone in the army (or what was left of it) was loyal to Constantine XI. And where should this "uber-general" come from? Lets see it in the historical context please! If there was such a man, where was he in May '53?? And why a coup? I'm sure Constantine would have done everything to support a capable general, who again wouldnt even benefit from a coup.

The idea of the "Fall -yes or no?" event is great, but it also just be limited to Yes or No. Again, if we want to make this realistic we cannot just let some Napoleon appear who fixes all our problems. A reconquest should be made by Constantine and the Palaeologi, and then theoretically (if not before), history alters and this general can appear.

Tested the Sack of Venice event. The BYZ player gets the cash and bad relations but the lose-manufactory and lose 1 lvl of fortification didn't happen to Venice. I might ask for help over in the main mod thread. Took me to 1650s to occupy. Must be slipping!

About the master trigger BYZ event. The event should have 4 choices in order to have the BYZ AI NOT pick selection 'D'. A human player will always pick 'D'. AKA the goodie pick. The first three choices should all be crap for the AI.

We should go with 4 choices to lessen the chance of the BYZ AI (PO) of choosing the fantasy pick. If there is a yes or no pick, the BYZ AI will pick the second one 15% of the time. I think that's why Burgundy is still active once in a while.

The trigger would be May 29,1453. (The date of the fall).
Choice A : BYZ annexation by OE. Game over.
Choice B : Accept turks peace offer. BYZ moves capital to Morea. Gives Constantinople to the OE.
Choice C : Stay in Constantinople without the 'perks'.
Choice D : BYZ will fight on! This choice would activate all of the sleeping leaders/ monarchs, sweetners etc.

I think that this would be the best way to set it up. The first three picks are crap and the fourth one is the money pick.

Nicephorus

Well, you got me - I know very little about the Byzantines. :) So mostly I was just throwing out some zany ideas (why do they always have to be zany?), but Im more than willing to be shot down. How else to learn, eh?

I object most strongly to the putting down of the Valois though. Well, alright - not strongly - but I cant resist the urge to defend my fave dynasty. The filthy French Valois were sappy and crappy, sure - but the strong Valois-Bourgogne line was a very powerful lineage indeed. If we had a series of 4 leaders like that in Constantinople... well, theres nothing we couldnt accomplish.

Silly arguments aside, lets assume that we chose event D - ie, the player has probably taken a few provinces between 1419 and 1453, and are probably within a century of eliminating the Ottomans. Were do we go from there? Feud with Moscow over Orthodoxy? Try to reclaim the Holy Land? Was it Pope Pius who had the 'Crusade-that-wasnt' during the 1480s or so? Get involved in that?

Id like to see a revitalised Byzantine go for the Arabian peninsula, and take Mecca and then become a quasi-Ottoman empire - at least in terms of religious tolerance.

I also tested an old event (thanks go to the original scripter!) where GEN gives up Kaffa to BYZ. I tied the trigger to the COT appearing in Constantinople. Works fine, but I have to make an event to tell the BYZ player that it occured. I didn't notice the land transfer until rebels popped up there.:rolleyes:
Someone from the OE thread should script an event like this for the OE. The OE AI never goes that way.

I think that this is a realistic trigger/event because IRL wasn't Kaffa abandoned by GEN after the OE took control the trade in the area, from owning/possessing the straits in Constantinople ie the Bosphorus.

Some comments and ideas are below concerning possible events between Russia and the R/B Empire. I think that Driftwood (?)wrote these thoughts back when we were babies. It's sad to see all the work done by Driftwood, Idiotboy and all just sit there unused. We should try to use (and credit the scripters) as much as possible. Why do some events all over again when we can use/modify older events and give credit to the scripters. Plus it's less work!:D

-The council of Florence in 1438-45 which was used as an excuse by the Russians to declare themselves 'autokephalic' (or something like that) in 1448.
-1459 when the synod of Moskov elected a metropolitan without consulting Constantinople (my sources conflict here, one says that this too was in 1448).
-1547 when Ivan IV was crowned Czar (this was approved by the patriarch of Constantinople).
-1589 when the metropolitan of Moskov became the patriarch of Russia (this was approved by the patriarch of Constantinople too)
-I read that somewhere around 1550 the patriarch of Constantinople and the metropolitan of Moskov 'made a truce' but I can't find the source.
-The reforms of Peter the Great and their effects on the relations.

Also if we want the R/B Empire to have a say about when the Russian Church Asserts itself, the Russian event # is 3415 but the event trigger includes BYZ not existing. If we want to tie into this with a BYZ-RUS event this needs to be changed. That might be a problem messing with another country's files.
The question should be asked. Would the Russian church assert itself with the revival of the R/B Empire? Or should the RUS church event stay sleeping?

Last edited:
Those do seem like intriguing ideas, mudder.

Id say that eventually, the Russian church would assert itself, simply because Russia is so big that they'd object to being dictated to by a lesser power. And unless Byz goes on a WC, they'd be classed as a lesser power.

Russia already has the event choosing to go independent doesnt it? Something about taking Constantinople? We could just build from there.

From the stuff youve listed, it seems we have about 100 or so years of religious quarrels between the two. With the outcome being either: Russia submits, or Russia is independent. And if Russia submits, possibly the Byzantines can gain events telling them to go for the various other patriarchies around.

Some more thoughts....

I think that every fantasy BYZ monarch with a MIL rating of 7 or higher should also be a military leader. Give him 3/3/3.

I think that the relations at start between BYZ/VEN and BYZ/GEN should be friendly but of course it will deteriorate during the game. There shouldn’t be a problem of BYZ entering an alliance with VEN at the start of the game if BYZ is in an alliance with Morea.

I think that BYZ should have CBs on every Greek cultured province at the start of the game.

Concerning BYZ’s CBs. There is an web site that shows the limits of the R/B Empire during different times.

http://www.euratlas.com/summary.htm

Von Bek

Yes, the independent Russian church is event 3415 but one of the triggers is that the BYZ has to be dead. Anyone can kill BYZ, doesn't have to be Russia.
Really the only thing we can do through religious quarrels events is the relation between the two. We might try to make an event where BYZ assists Novgorod or another of the minor Russian states.
No alliances though, please! Do you know how hard it is to make peace with Sweden when she's a couple of thousand miles away?! :)

The BYZ does receive CBs on the patriarchs' provinces in AGC. As the BYZ player grows and takes certain provinces, events are triggered which gives the CBs.

Not sure if this has been suggested, but maybe a 'Restoration of Constantinople' event? By the time it fell the city was nothing more than scattered villages surrounded by huge walls.

Plus, a resurgent, united Christian Empire would almost certainly scare the hell out of the Muslims. Perhaps, if Byzantine conquered the OE and took back Anatolia, there would be an event for Muslim countries to build a coalition against Imperial power?

Dogface have started a thread AGC & EEP, "Byzantium" that will be used for the merged projects AGC and EEP. Contributions of what AGC have changed from the Paradox GC are most welcome. No one could better describe what has been done and why than the ones that did it :D

Palaeologi-Commeni Dynastical Conflict

I seem to remember someone suggesting a Dynastical conflict between the Commeni of Trebizond and the Palaeologi of Byzantium over the Byzantine throne somewhere.
And im pretty sure it was here for the AGC.

I have scripted some events to this end for my ordinary GC and I thought i could submit them here.
I havent playtested them yet - but from what I can tell I see no reason why they shouldnt work...

Byzantine Events=
event = {
id = 3833
random = no
country = BYZ
name = "EVENTNAME3833"
desc = "EVENTHIST3833"
style = 1

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1439 }
offset = 300

action_a ={ #Laetentur Coeli! We accept!#
name = "ACTIONNAME3833A"