• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The power to select a ruler is not one to be given up lightly. It is in the interest of the empire to select the heir with most potential and greatest zeal; I vote option 3.
That's unquestionably true. And for a while, it surely will be. Once the vassals have a vote though, who knows what they will decide.

I vote Option 3.

Ultimogeniture

Meanwhile - it is (a) good that the son shows spirit, and (b) typical that children don't know what is good for them! :D
He was looking so promising, too! Eagerly joined the Olympians, only to deny his promise afterwards. I've been massively disappointed by Sisebutus (especially as I likely have to use the console again to give the Pontificate to Theodosios' actual heir - for whatever reason, it runs on agnatic gavelkind :confused:).

Heh :p.

Option 3 – Elective Monarchy

While primogeniture is tempting, there is still great benefit in picking the most optimum heir. Clearly this choice comes with the disclaimer that every effort must be taken to ensure some greedy vassal does not usurp the throne. Only those of the royal line should ever be selected.
Let us hope that these efforts will pay off. (And no matter what the game's succession law says - as it is wrong - the Charax will stay Pontifex Maximus/-a).

And with these votes, it is clear that we remain under an elective monarchy.

Chapter 14 – Successful Re-education
Chapter 14 – Successful Re-education

With the same élan you are starting to get used to, the Pontifex Maximus storms into the council chamber, but not exactly in a good mood. No, the Butcher is visibly angry. But no matter how imposing his powerful presence, the woman following him in quite some time after immediately catches your eyes.

The woman wears an Illuminatrix' toga, and takes quite a lot of space. One could safely say that while Theodosios gained weight in muscle, she gained it in another way. She is munching on some meat, and wipes her greasy fingers on her toga. It may depend on your taste in women, but she either is a sight of beauty to behold or once may have been – and still may become, should she lose some weight. Poets may be able to get lost in the features of her face – or once have.

“Zsófia the Heavenly”, Theodosios grumbles. “Illuminatrix of Nauplion. And, theoretically, much more.”

PfH25OJ.jpg

The huge woman nods in deference. “It's an honour to be in the same room as Promelux' chosen. I serve the gods in another capacity, so I have long dreamt of that moment.”

“She is our current point of debate”, the Pontifex Maximus addresses you. Another demon? No. No, she doesn't look the part. “A question of her Hungarian heritage. It shall concern you later.”

Theodosios unrolls a new map. “The Empire's reach has grown much in the past seven years; not as much as I hoped, but we will come to that. With my trusty commanders, I have conquered Sicily, Nagya, and... you shall see. I have to especially name Agne's and Liuva's assistance in battle, with my dear sister's horrific wounds sustained in my name and Liuva's death, after he brought the wrath of the gods down on them in many confrontations.

9DRWPEm.jpg

Sylvisorexny's hedgehogs were in civil war for the throne, and so I only had to face the Ursulaians in battle. Once dislodged from the mountains, they were unable to mount a strong defence.”

Z5hqUNm.jpg

Zsófia agrees. “Their leader carried Animus Animalis' guile, and thus we decided to perform a divination with his remains. The vile influence still lingered there, and we Illuminators were able to extract the names of some of his agents working against the Pontifex, preventing him from harm.”

huI7WAb.jpg

“The enemy never sleeps. After a demon, a gate full of them, a dancing plague... His attempts to destroy the New Empire will never cease”, Theodosios announces gravely. “But his ducks – are weaker than expected. Even with the signs in their favour, they only sent armies of around 3.000 men to Sicily, where they were swiftly crushed. The island is liberated of them.

And will remain closely tied to Greece. For I installed Achila as count of most of the island, after he agreed to marry Amália Dávid on matrilineal terms. With my brother Radagaisus nearly driving out Dávidia of Greece, once this kingdom has come to an end, the Hungarians may reassemble under the Sicilian banner on our side.”

yJFaWsf.jpg

The Emperor sighs. “Dávidia would be close to destruction already. And now we come to Zsófia's presence here.”

“My father was king of both Dávidia and Duroland”, the Illuminatrix explains. “Once a dog prince laid claim to Duroland, I sought out the Pontifex to present my claim. We can't let the kingdom fall back into their paws.”

“I led my retinue into the Nile Delta. Imre was weakened and struggling against Prince Laddie, so I didn't see the need to bring the full power of the realm south and offer the Imperial core lands a resemblance of peace. I did end up defeating Imre, after he had sacrificed Laddie, without high losses nor great trouble.”

qfS9MTq.jpg

Theodosios sighs. “As terms of his surrender, he presented Duroland's crown. That is ALL that we apparently won. He claims to be unable to surrender Duroland's actual territory, as it is in the hands of a duke which is inseparably loyal to Dávidia's crown.
I am tempted to just melt down that golden circle and drive every single Hungarian out of Duroland, to their 'rightful liege' myself.”

(Well, that didn't go as planned. My explanation is what Theodosios says above – the descendant of the duke who invaded still holds it and one county in Dávidia. He was unwilling to part with his lands for some reason. So I am giving you this additional choice:

Option 1 – leave it as it is

Option 2 – seize one county

Option 3 – seize all of Duroland (it's basically the Nile Delta)

I was tending to just grab a county to prevent Imre to simply re-usurp the title whenever he's got the money to do so, but then again I've been thinking that Theodosios may not exactly be happy about the outcome. And thus it offers an additional vote.)

He takes a deep breath. “To answer that, you probably do need to know the state of the empire and my reign. As for the latter, there isn't much to say other than that it is absolutely secure. Nobody dares oppose me, and I have been able to use my power for the benefit of the vassals.

Case in point, Taoeliland. Saurus' son Theudis isn't much more capable than his predecessor, but he did attack the Cumans. So I prevented the duke of Ikonio from fighting him. When my friend – and highly capable duke – Theodat of Slavia claimed the duchy, I didn't intervene. While I don't expect Theudis to win against the Cumans, both Theodat and Kyrillos of Symmachia may have the power to.”

YGW5jxO.jpg

Theudis is apparently a popular name amongst Gothic nobility again. And so we have this vassal constellation:
Me14pNs.jpg

“A wise course of action, great Pontifex”, Zsófia agrees.

That seems to remind Theodosios of something. “Ah, that's right. Amália and Zsófia aren't the only successes of our education. Lancelot has become duke in the realm of the Cumans. Or well, it would have been a success one day.” He sighs again, massaging his temples. “He only inherited a duchy title for a barony. Due to duke Kyrillos' conquest of Shotaia, while Lancelot's hedgehog father was rebelling against the Cumans. At least it is under Imperial control now, though we missed a chance to disrupt a hostile realm from the inside.”

HYaSeK0.jpg

He's been released immediately upon succession, but sadly won't be able to do much.

The fat woman nods. “And then there's Chito, your Imperial Majesty. A shining beacon of faith, the new diviner of the empire. Her Duckling ancestry completely in the past, she has used that fact to great effect in the conversion of her birth people, the Georgians of Rhodos. The example of us prominent new citizens of the empire might have played its part in inspiring the Arberians of Herakleia to adopt the superior culture.”

TM4qrpw.jpg

The Emperor, back to his energetic self, gives her a powerful clap on the back, upon which Zsófia struggles not to fall down. “True! A smart one, Chito! She doesn't just read books and cower in a corner like a certain someone that I might name – or no more, for the son I no longer have has apparently found his death over wherever he was. I cannot say that I mourn him. He was dead to me as soon as he fled!

nst0x1V.jpg

Another loss was more tragic”, he adds with much more grief. “The horses banded together to fight my youngest brother Innokentios, and overwhelmed him and his men. He will be missed. Radagaisus has already launched a campaign to avenge him, after I gave him Innokentios' titles.”

nOP5KC8.jpg

“But speaking of family, I have reason to be proud! Which may make the choice of succession a little more difficult, but that's a good problem to have!” He laughs heartily. “Together with the earlier question, you can answer me that of succession today.

Shall I name Antonios my heir? He doesn't have great physical strength, so I doubt he would be a warrior himself. But we have plenty of promising commanders in the empire, that isn't a problem. Antonios has presented me with an idea to more effectively organize cleansing the empire, but that needs clear leadership from the emperor – I will not do it with my engagement in the Olympian Champions on the battlefield, but he might if he succeeds me.

Or Ioustina may follow me on the throne. She hasn't even come of age yet, certainly, but she is close. And shows so much promise in following in both the footsteps of her grandmother and mine! Surely she will lead the men into battle by example, and be the terror of every abomination we have sworn to fight!”

Who shall Theodosios name his heir?

Option 1 – Prince Antonios (Stoic path – send out trained extermination squads into every beast-cultured Imperial province)

Option 2 – Princess Ioustina (Olympian path – never know a moment of peace longer than necessary)

lY8owj6.jpg

Voting ends Monday, 22:00 CEST.

Duroland, and I mean all of Duroland, belongs to our fair lady here. We cannot allow her to be cheated out of her rightful lands.

Further conquests will greatly expand the realm, but we must remember that our ultimate goal is the extermination of the beasts in the name of Promelux. We must focus on cleansing the lands we control before conquering even more beast-infested lands, and Prince Antonios will serve that purpose well.

Option 1 – Prince Antonios (Stoic path – send out trained extermination squads into every beast-cultured Imperial province)

Option 3 and Option 1

3-1

Those are some pretty comprehensive injuries!

Duroland, and I mean all of Duroland, belongs to our fair lady here. We cannot allow her to be cheated out of her rightful lands.

Further conquests will greatly expand the realm, but we must remember that our ultimate goal is the extermination of the beasts in the name of Promelux. We must focus on cleansing the lands we control before conquering even more beast-infested lands, and Prince Antonios will serve that purpose well.

It clearly surprised everyone that Imre II attempted this little trick. Well, it didn't work :rolleyes:.

Hopefully he may live that long. Theodosios looks like a resilient man and may live for quite some more time.

3-1

Those are some pretty comprehensive injuries!
Agne lives a shieldmaiden's life, and she happily sustains these injuries in service of the Pontifex. A hard choice, but admirable devotion to Promelux' cause.
(As every shieldmaiden, she'll likely lose every limb she can. At least she's still got both legs.)

Option 3 and Option 1
And that makes it unanimous. Duroland and Antonios it is!

Chapter 15 – Another obstacle in a foreign realm
Chapter 15 – Another obstacle in a foreign realm

Theodosios' usual vigour no longer surprises you. He may grow old, but he remains a very fearsome figure, and you don't doubt that he could fight the vast majority of young men bare-handed and win with ease. This time, he is alone. And looks like he's just come from the battlefield – no, all that blood on his armour isn't fresh.

fSBSiGk.jpg

“That I stand here today goes against someone's plans”, he announces. “I survived two assassination attempts! The first, an ambush by mercenaries. The second, a sabotaged railing. Luckily, I have found the perpetrator.”

c2JoM17.jpg

It takes more than that to kill Theodosios. And that's the extent of Duroland.

The emperor balls his right hand to a fist with pure hate. It seems fortunate he isn't holding his sceptre right now, or it may break in his grip. “Antonios.”

He lets his eyes wander over all of you. As if you would be responsible for it, he musters every one of you with distrust. “I have no sons.” This statement hovers in the chamber for a while. “The would-be murderer fled to duke Lancelot's court. Lucky for him, my guards were incapable. I have others now.”

pnrkXUZ.jpg

“The beasts felt my wrath. Not just for that. I wanted to cleanse the rich Sinai, and it seemed like a quick campaign – but then a Terrieran duke rebelled, holding half the peninsula. I dragged out the conflict until I could seize it all. More and more Ducklings joined in the hedgedog's defence, and I drenched the peninsula in their blood.

krYyUcO.jpg

Took over 5 years because of Arabia's revocation revolt (At least it didn't take the console to fix the result). Poor Agne collected all possible injuries, then died not much later.

Outside the Imperial borders, I am now known as the 'Heart-eater'. And while Antonios will not succeed me, Ioustina shall not join me in the Olympians. My dear daughter shouldn't have to suffer the same injuries as Agne did, if she shall become the next Pontifex Maxima!”

eFQxES6.jpg

Antonios' next betrayal – he also joined the Olympian Champions. Ioustina is now the heir instead, but she will found the Stoics instead so that the vote hasn't been useless.

Theodosios slams his balled fist on the table. It cracks a bit. “For Animus Animalis does everything he can to frustrate me! But I shall not waver! I have built cages in the amphitheater! Cages full of his vile creations! I perform the sacrifices through personally hunting them! From the smallest hedgehog to a daughter of the Jade Dragon, they all die by my hand! And for that, the amphitheater is too small, so I've begun an expansion!

l7gEcR1.jpg

And whoever thinks they can betray Promelux' trust, ends like that false illuminatrix Petronia – blind so as to be unable to receive his light, condemned to wander the world in search of shelter!”

ZHlnWOj.jpg

He calms down, lowers his tone from the shouting. “All his schemes fail. Having already slain countless of them in the war for Sinai, the false dog empire lost Zarnyland (Alexandria) next – an important merchant city. And as Theodat, allied with Radagaisus, defeated the Cumans, Theodosia of Symmachia attacked them next. I have provided help by seizing Nevenia (Antioch), but I am not sure if the duchess can end that war victorious.”

SbH39Oz.jpg

I named Agne's husband as Doge. Turns out the patricians weren't very creative though as they all are from the house “of Sidi Barrani”. If you have suggestions for them, I'm reading.

“So much for matters of the realm. On a personal note, I have won plenty of duels, always leading from the front, and am keeping the vassals in check not just with my strength, but also with plenty of strategic marriages. It shall serve my heir well. Speaking of which, Ioustina and marriage – it announces itself complicated.” He sighs.

“I found a good match. But she had managed to get herself pregnant before her marriage. I... dealt with it.” Theodosios balls his fist again. “Then her new husband died almost immediately after the marriage, and her next child's legitimacy could have been in doubt as well.” He lets you figure out the message contained in these words. “Strange – she does have a reputation to reject any male advances. By now, she shall soon remarry, but first has to survive her consumption.”

Radagaisus treated her perfectly, so she should recover. But I am beginning to put hope into Eirene – my granddaughter is far too young now, but she resembles my mother a lot, or so I am told.

jB1Nm8X.jpg

Twice! Despite rejecting seduction – and the second child could very well have been from her short-time husband. Radagaisus became a renowned physician treating her at least, and young Eirene is strong.

I have announced my intention to launch another legendary raid as well. It shall take another turn than Kyrillos'. Should I see the day of its begin, then I will return victorious – without having to resort to demonic powers, of course.

Unnatural powers have also spread their influence to the remains of Dávidia. Imre II died of cancer, and his son Jenö got murdered soon after – so now a foal sits on the Dávidian throne. I do have the occasion to put an end to that reign swiftly, though. Zsusza Dávid is not only the daughter of the foal's regent, she is also the granddaughter of king Imre I – and a re-educated young woman. I could secure her the Dávidian crown – or leave Dávidia to its fate of finding a brutal end, one which shouldn't take too long in coming.

I shall let you decide. Is an independent, but weak, Prohominist Dávidia preferable to the slower, but almost certain conquest of its lands?”

Tkj4kvX.jpg

Theodosios looks like he will await your reactions, but then he nods, more to himself than to you, and speaks again. “Ah, right. Before I forget. The New Empire has another pretender. Kunavidny is no more – the north is now known as the empire of Suensaariia.”

4U6tZd4.jpg

Its strength is comparable to the Imperium Novum's.

Install Zsusza as queen of Dávidia?

Option 1 – Yes

Option 2 – No

Voting is open until Wednesday, 22:00 CEST.

I'll also say that I will attempt to experiment a bit with either the next chapter or when Theodosios dies, because right now it seems very repetitive :oops:.

I vote Option 2. A weak Dávidia would not do well in protecting itself, and it may fall back into Animus Animalis’s hands. It will be safer in the Empire proper.

Yes.

We are at 2:2, so I am going to let the vote run until Saturday. If there isn't a majority then, then I'll simply roll the dice. I don't think Theodosios has a preferred option here, the foal is not going to reign much longer anyway.

Well, time for an announcement that probably won't surprise many: this part of the AAR will now end. Now that I had the time to work on it again, the AI began marrying animals - despite the hefty penalties and the dogmatic nature. Random lowborns and nomads have that effect. And I am neither inclined to chase after them in an ever-expanding number of rightful believers nor to suddenly notice that a vassal has strayed far from the Path to Salvation.

So this part ends, my thanks to everyone reading so far. You could say that the New Empire has just reached a critical mass anyway, as even though there were a few realms rivalling in strength, the Charax's troops always had the clear upper hand. So it isn't much of a stretch to take the next step.
As I want to hold the promise of a megacampaign, Promelux's light will advance to Stellaris. Someday.

No worries. It was a fun run.

Promelux will be worshipped worldwide and the animals crushed beneath humanity's heel in my mind, at least until it becomes a reality Stellaris. :D