• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello!

Long time lurkaar on these forums. I've been following your AAR for just over a year now (and, I confess, a majority of the British based AARs...) and have been impressed with the depth and quality of the work thus far.

I post now to point out the glorious silver lining of the UAPR - communist scum we may be, but the Glorious State of Georgia has reclaimed the lands stolen from it after the Yazoo scandal! Huzzah!

I hope it's not bad form to offer what might diplomatically be considered suggestions so early on (post 4, is it?) but you might consider changing the various republics back to their state names wherever this is possible.

Even if we have gone red, it seems an unnecessary pill to make Americans swallow by destroying the states entirely. Sure, they might be the product of a corrupt capitalist pigdog system, but... it seems that more people would fight to keep their states - even if the system made federalization of government a joke - where they might not fight otherwise.

Texas should certainly stay Texas, even in its expanded form. In fact, they'd probably give you points for that. Appalachia really only scrapes into Georgia, and we certainly don't like to think we're in any way associated with those people. Arizona/New Mexico you can get away with easy enough, and anywhere the communists were really strong (Great Lakes region was it? New England as well, perhaps) name changes might be more willingly embraced. The South though - better to just toss those would be capitalist lapdogs a bone with their old names, and get around to showing them the true light at a better time.

Otherwise though, I am loving this AAR. The pulling together of all the various aspects of the time, the regular updates and the quality of them make coming here a pleasure. Thanks!

Glad to have you aboard.

Anyway, the re-namings were done in the aftermath of a relatively short, but extremely brutal Civil war, in an effort to rid the country of as many US remnants of all sort as possible. Hence why New York was renamed.

Given some off-site feedback, I decided to make a new map.

Seize Hawaii and restore the King!

Not the best update, but I was incredibly tired when I wrote most of it.

Chapter 135
Palace_of_Westminster2C_London_-_Fe.jpg

2nd October 1940

Chequers

“And he told you so yourself?” Churchill asked the MP that had called upon him. “Yes, Sir. He approached me while I was enjoying myself with a newspaper in the club. He did not tell me who he was working for, but to me it seemed obvious enough.” The minor MP was one of the all-important backbenchers. He had been approached by a person that worked for a certain other person who was dissatisfied with how the country was handled, and had asked the MP if he would vote for and against the Government if it were to come to a vote. The member in question had asked for time and had promptly gone to the chief whip, who had in turn informed the Prime Minister. The two had then been ordered to report to Chequers post haste, where they had been grilled extensively by the Prime Minister himself. Now they were excused again and Churchill sat in his study, with his closest cabinet ministers seated in various chairs throughout the room. There was much they had to talk about, and not only the prosecution of the war that was admittedly going nowhere at the moment as General Brooke had ordered the advance into Italian Lybia halted until the BEF was fully deployed there and in French North Africa. The Royal Navy took great care to re-route to convoy lanes, so that they had only a small gap without aircover from either French North Africa or the United Kingdom itself. As much as it pained Churchill, home politics were on the forefront for a moment.

“Gentlemen, what is there to do?” he asked. The Chief Whip, David Margesson said: “The problem is Sir, that many of the backbenchers tend to agree with Lord Halifax' appraisal of the situation, even within our own party, to say nothing of Labour Party. God only knows that they think.” “So we are facing a palace rebellion?” Eden asked, looking at Morisson. “Looks about like it, Sir.” Silence fell on the room, while all pondered what to do. “We....could form a National Government, Sir.” Eden suggested, more to break the awkward silence than to actually get what he wanted. Churchill emphatically shook his head. “No, that would not help us at the moment, and Halifax might see it as a sign of desperation. Besides, the Labour Party probably has more communists in it than the BCP.” He shook his head again and took a cigar from the case on his desk. “No, we must take a different course. Morisson!” “Yes Sir?” the Home Secretary asked. “Morisson, I want you to silently and behind the scenes ask your contacts within your old party. Find out how the mood is there, and how their members would vote.” “Yes, Sir.” With that, the Home Secretary excused himself, and left. Eden stayed and asked Churchill: “What do you have in mind, Winston?” Winston explained.

“That's a bit risky, don't you think?” Winston grinned and placed the cigar in his and between his teeth. “True enough Anthony, but if it works, the Peace Faction will be thoroughly discredited, and our dear Lord Halifax will be off my back for good.” Eden did not answer, but his face made clear that he was not exactly convinced. Churchill however leaned back, chewed on his cigar and congratulated himself for his ingenuity, whilst the Chief Whip left to do his Prime Minister's bidding. Churchill picked the telephone from his cradle and said: “Get me Buckingham Palace.”

Two days later, Parliament was assembled to hear the Government's official statement on the fall of France.

Churchill rose from the Treasury Bench and walked to the platform, and by the look on his face everyone knew that he would hold one of his famous speeches.

“Everyone wonders what is happening about the war. For several months past the Axis have been uttering ferocious threats of what they are going to do to the Western Democracies-to the British and French Empires-when once they set about them. Now we have seen it, now we have seen their evil doings.

We, the aggrieved and belligerent Powers who are waging war against Germany, have no need to ask for respite. Every week our commerce grows; every month our organisation is improved and reinforced. We feel ourselves more confident day by day of our ability to police the seas and oceans and to keep open and active the salt-water highways by which we have; and along which we shall draw the means of victory. Here we are, after a year of war, of all they can do against us on the sea, with the first U-boat campaign for the first time being utterly broken, with the mining menace in good control, with our shipping virtually undiminished, and with all the oceans of the world free from surface raiders.

Very different is the lot of the unfortunate neutrals. Whether on sea or on land, they are the victims upon whom Hitler's hate and spite descend. Look at the group of small but ancient and historic States which lie in the North; or look again at that other group of anxious peoples in the Balkans or in the Danube basin behind whom stands the resolute Turk. Every one of them is wondering which will be the next victim on whom the criminal adventurers of Berlin will cast their rending stroke. A German major makes a forced landing in Belgium with plans for the invasion of that country whose neutrality Germany has so recently promised to respect. In Rumania there is deep fear lest by some deal between Moscow and Berlin they may become the next object of aggression. German intrigues are seeking to undermine the newly strengthened solidarity of the southern Slavs. The hardy Swiss arm and man their mountain passes. The Poles, the Belgians, the Dutch, the French-whose services to European freedom will be remembered long after the smear of Hitler has been wiped from the human path-stand among the shattered and raped races of Europe, stand united behind the cause until the lights of freedom once again shine over Europe. But I fear-I fear greatly-the storm will not pass. It will rage and it will roar, ever more loudly, ever more widely. It will spread to the South; it will spread to the North. There is no chance of a speedy end except through united action; and if at any time Britain and France, wearying of the struggle, were to make a shameful peace, nothing would remain for the smaller States of Europe, with their shipping and their possessions, but to be divided between the opposite, though similar, barbarisms of Nazidom and Bolshevism.

The one thing that will be most helpful in determining the action of neutrals is their increasing sense of the power and resolution of the Western Allies. These small States are alarmed by the fact that the Axis armies are more numerous, and that their Air Force is still more numerous, and also that both are nearer to them than the forces of the British Empire and France. Certainly it is true that we are facing numerical odds; but that is no new thing in our history. Very few wars have been won by mere numbers alone. Quality, will power, geographical advantages, natural and financial resources, the command of the sea, and, above all, a cause which rouses the spontaneous surgings of the human spirit in millions of hearts-these have proved to be the decisive factors in the human story. If it were otherwise, how would the race of men have risen above the apes; how otherwise would they have conquered and extirpated dragons and monsters; how would they have ever evolved the moral theme; how would they have marched forward across the centuries to broad conceptions of compassion, of freedom, and of right? How would they ever have discerned those beacon lights which summon and guide us across the rough dark waters, and presently will guide us across the flaming lines of battle towards better days which lie beyond?

Numbers do not daunt us. But judged even by the test of numbers we have no reason to doubt that once the latent, and now rapidly growing, power of the British nation and Empire are brought, as they must be, and as they will be, fully into line with the magnificent efforts of the French Republic, then, even in mass and in weight, we shall not be found wanting.

In the bitter and increasingly exacting conflict which lies before us we are resolved to keep nothing back, and not to be outstripped by any in service to the common cause. Let the great cities of Warsaw, of Prague, of Vienna, of Amsterdam, of Paris, banish despair even in the midst of their agony. Their liberation is sure. The day will come when the joybells will ring again throughout Europe, and when victorious nations, masters not only of their foes but of themselves, will plan and build in justice, in tradition, and in freedom a house of many mansions where there will be room for all.”

Applause roared, but Churchill noted that it was somewhat muted. When he was seated, Clemet Attlee, the partly leader of the opposition Labour Party rose from his seat. “Prime Minister, the honourable members of the house would like to know what the further strategy of His Majesties Government is and if any thought has been given on making an honourable peace.” “There is no peace to be made. The war will continue, as is the wish of the nation.” Rab Butler rose next, and he had to admit, Halifax sending Butler as his messenger to the House of Commons was a stroke of Genius, given how a member of the House of Lords and former Lord Seals could hardly be seen directly and blatantly usurping the Government. No, Halifax would stand in the background and just happen to be available to take over the Premiership. Despite his faults, Halifax was a skilled politician, he had to leave him that. Churchill was torn from his thoughts when Butler spoke: “The nation only sees that we have lost the war, so how can you be sure what the nation wants?” Churchill simply grinned and decided not to play his trump card just yet. Better to let them run deeper and deeper into the trap he had set. “I am convinced of that, just as the honourable member for Saffron Walden is convinced of his own position.” he paused for effect, “However, I think that we must fight on. We have an obligation to our allies, to the occupied nations of Europe to fight on, whatever the cost, whatever the peril.” Once again Butler spoke. “With all due respect, Prime Minister, this here Member, along with many of the other honourable Members of this House believes that we have lost the war and that it is time to cut our losses. There is no other way, sir. If we fight on we will have our homelands overrun. The Dutch and Belgians and French showed us that the war is not winnable.”

“On the contrary.” Churchill said. “Mr. Speaker, to make this clear once and for all, I have therefore asked his Majesty to dissolve this Parliament and call a General Election at the earliest convenient moment.” The murmurs running through the House of Commons were noteworthy as in sofar no one stood and yelled at the Prime Minister. Butler was sitting again, and Churchill could see that he was less than pleased. It was true then, the Rebels had truly tried to put in a vote that would have allowed them to take over without facing the uncertainties of a General Election before they had consolidated their position both within the house and within the country. The way it was happening now was much more uncertain, and Churchill would most certainly make it as hard as possible to unseat him. One thing however was sure, the next few weeks would be interesting to say the least.

[Notes: Can you tell I don't like them? Kudos to Le Jones and El Pip for supplying a few lines.]

Last edited:
Oh, Halifax is not going to be Pwime Minister, then? A pity, weally... :D

Halifax for PM! Halifax for PM! ;)

Ahem -I really liked your portrayal of Butler.

Kurt_Steiner I bloody well hope not. :D

Griffin.Gen Thank you, thank you!

Hardraade We will see in due time.

Le Jones Thanks!

Also, The Yogi, Brandenburg III, the Mods, and many others have made it possible to vote in the

I am encouraging you to head there, and look through the AARs that have been completed in 2008, and vote for one of them. So vote, and vote well!

Hmmph, I hope that I wont have to vote for yours anytime soon! ;)
Edit: Eh, I never knew you had another AAR. I shall be reading that while waiting for you to update :)

Hmmph, I hope that I wont have to vote for yours anytime soon! ;)
Edit: Eh, I never knew you had another AAR. I shall be reading that while waiting for you to update :)

:D

Also, I just noticed I put the wrong date on the last update. Will be edited momentarily.

BOOOOO! Down with the Peace faction.....
War shall be won through Blood Sweat toil and tears, not through Lord Halifax and his inability to speak English....

Lord Strange Indeed. However, it is up to the British electorate to decide.