• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'll get back to you two if/when I start something there. This is way to good not to use it.

I'll get back to you two if/when I start something there. This is way to good not to use it.
Yup, you gotta remember that most Quebeckers are Anti-British Heretics (except me, obviously!) :rofl:
Although a revolution in Quebec might disrupt the Allies (France supporting Quebec, you know).
...This is getting better and better!

Yup, you gotta remember that most Quebeckers are Anti-British Heretics (except me, obviously!) :rofl:
Although a revolution in Quebec might disrupt the Allies (France supporting Quebec, you know).
...This is getting better and better!

I think that Quebecois are mostly anti-British because they just don't want to have anything to do "British Imperialism". :p

Anyways, trekaddict, if you want to write about somebody in Quebec during TTL, I suggest that you consider Quebec's former Premier Maurice Duplessis. IMHO, le Chef sure can't be missed.

I think that Quebecois are mostly anti-British because they just don't want to have anything to do "British Imperialism". :p

Anyways, trekaddict, if you want to write about somebody in Quebec during TTL, I suggest that you consider Quebec's former Premier Maurice Duplessis. IMHO, le Chef sure can't be missed.
Oh...him...
He has to be the worst Prime Minister ever. You think we call his rule the "Grande Noirceur" for nothing? :rofl:
But yeah, he probably would lead any Independence Movement. He was popular with the Rural Population and the Church. He's probably the best candidate for a character.

Oh...him...
He has to be the worst Prime Minister ever. You think we call his rule the "Grande Noirceur" for nothing? :rofl:
But yeah, he probably would lead any Independence Movement. He was popular with the Rural Population and the Church. He's probably the best candidate for a character.

Duplessis just liked babies too much, as in "La Revanche des berceaux", or the "revenge of the cradle". (Or even simply "let's make babies!!" :p)

Duplessis just liked babies too much, as in "La Revanche des berceaux", or the "revenge of the cradle". (Or even simply "let's make babies!!" :p)

The Question is, would he be willing to make a deal with the Devil for Quebec? Germany is too far away to matter, Japan even more so, and never mind China, and that only leaves the UAPR.

The Question is, would he be willing to make a deal with the Devil for Quebec? Germany is too far away to matter, Japan even more so, and never mind China, and that only leaves the UAPR.
Duplessis was a staunch Anti-Communist and would never EVER negociate with commies. He's way too religiously devout to make a pact with the Devil. But he WOULD have most of the Population's support and could start a Guerilla Warfare in Quebec.

Duplessis was a staunch Anti-Communist and would never EVER negociate with commies. He's way too religiously devout to make a pact with the Devil. But he WOULD have most of the Population's support and could start a Guerilla Warfare in Quebec.

Hmm. It is unlikely then. Because I figure that with the UAPR just across the border and the Mother country ( no matter which one ) fighting the goddless communists in Europe he might choose to support Canada for the time being.

Hmm. It is unlikely then. Because I figure that with the UAPR just across the border and the Mother country ( no matter which one ) fighting the goddless communists in Europe he might choose to support Canada for the time being.
Well that keeps Duplessis at home, The FLQ is still an option ;)

Chapter 117

Franzm__nner.jpg

10th June 1940

Somewhere to the North-East of Brussels, Belgium

'A retreating Army is hardly ever in love with it's Commander' was what the Duke of Wellington had reportedly once said, and in the case of the remnants of the four French and Belgian Regiments retreating from the Dutch border towards the capital of the country it was most certainly true. They had received what their British Allies would call a bloody good hiding at the hands of two German and Soviet Infantry and Armoured Divisions apiece, and had only just been able to pull back in relative good order. They marched silently through the light summer rain, their shoulders sagged in defeat. The ones in the front of the column however were treated with a strange sight. A British Officer was standing there, wearing full Battledress and a Tommy helmet. He had his hands behind his back, and there he held a riding stick, and constantly tapped his left leg with it. In his face he wore a moustache that was dripping with rainwater, but he seemed to ignore it. Recognizing that he wore the pips of a Major General, the French Colonel in command of the Regiment currently passing the Officer walked up to him. “Sir, you better get down, le boches aren't too far behind us.” “Pah. Jerry has better things to do than shoot me.” the Officer said dismissively. “We cannot stop them anyway. Nothing can stop them now that they have the road.” The British Officer turned around and said angrily: “I am Major General Percy Hobart, and I can tell you that down that road you will find the biggest bloody damn roadblock you have ever seen!” The French Colonel did not know what sort of outfit the General commanded, but he could not hope to stop an at least four to one advantage. Muttering something about 'crazy English' he walked on and past the General who was still watching the retreating Allied Forces. The Colonel on the other hand followed the road for another twenty minutes. Then his eyes bulged when he saw something that was hidden away beneath hastily erected shelters. So that had been behind the order to 'hold for four more hours' of yesterday....

At the same time General Hobart saw that the line of retreating men and machines petered out, only stragglers would remain now, and behind them... the enemy. He turned around on his heels and walked back towards where the Sergeant driving him and his Chief of Staff were waiting for him. He climbed into the camouflage-painted Morris with an ease that belied his age and just said: “Back to the Division, if you please.” The car roared off, struggling to make it's way through the retreating troops. Hobart started to give commands as soon as they were moving. His Chief of Staff was less than pleased at the micromanagement that sometimes came with serving under this particular General, but he came from the Royal Artillery, so he supposed that the RAC did things differently. Besides, the General seemed to have a gift for armoured warfare, something that was sadly lacking within the higher echelons of the British Army. Located in the barn of a farm about thirty miles north of Brussels, the CP was a rather cramped affair, as enough Staffers to direct a Division had been cramped into the small building. Upon entering the building, he scarcely acknowledged the salutes of the guards and moved over to the map. As it had been before he left, the picture that was displayed was anything but good, as a matter of fact, it was even worse now that it had been three hours ago. The Belgians and the French were being pushed south from Namur and pushed the French aside, without actually breaking the line again, the Russians and Germans were closing in on the main line of the 7th Armoured here and in the North-West of Belgium heavy battles raged as the enemy tried to catch the British Expeditionary Force in the rear. So far the Belgians, bolstered by a few stubborn Dutch Battalions and several French Divisions were holding firm. Only on the Maginot line did everything go as expected and when Hobart looked up, he saw a message that said that French and Belgian units had smashed an Axis Cavalry probing attack through the Ardennes. The BEF was in a good position, holding the centre in the main line and the secondary lines on the left flank of the Allied position. So far, aside from the attack that had pushed the British beyond the River, no major combat had taken place. It seemed that the enemy either regarded the BEF as insignificant, ( Hobard snorted at that ) or was simply unable to determine it's exact position. Only here, at the extreme left of the main British line was major combat to be expected any time soon. The enemy had a four to one advantage in Divisions, but Hobart was cautiously confident about his chances. For one, the enemy Divisions had to be bloodied, whilst the 7th was at full strength and superbly organized. Secondly, the enemy seemed to be unaware of the exact positions it was holding, because Artillery and Bombers still pounded the forward positions he had abandoned yesterday morning. He was suddenly torn from his musings by increased Artillery fire to the north and the droning of many many aircraft engines. “Sir, 2nd Rifles reports that one of their forward company's is under heavy artillery and air attacks.” Hobart nodded. “Send that to Corps. Gentlemen, the game's afoot.”

Amsterdam, Occupied Netherlands

Like the rest of the city the building that had once been the Dutch Ministry of Defence was not all that damaged. The Dutch had fought like devils for most of their country, but had declared Amsterdam to be an open city as soon as their lines to the north had broken and Artillery fire had started to fall and do some damage. Unlike most major population centres, this had spared Amsterdam for the most part, which in turn made it the perfect place for the forward posts from which the Generals were directing the German and Soviet Forces in the west. The German/Soviet Command occupied several floors of the building. It was heavily guarded by a group of German Field Police, as the Dutch, whilst their Armies had thrown in the towel, had not officially surrendered. The Government had retreated to London, and was directing what remained of the Dutch War effort from there. What remained of the Dutch Air Force was operating from British Airfields. What remained of the Dutch Navy fuelled and was based in British ports. One thing was clear. As long as the British were in the fight, the war was not won. Gerd von Rundstedt, Commander of the German Army Group A, and his counterpart with the Soviet 'Expeditionary Front', Vasily Chuikov, knew as much. The two Commanders were no friends, far from it, but they had a healthy professional respect of each other, and at this level that was enough. At the moment they were both sitting in the room that had been the Dutch Minister of Defence's office. They were smoking the cigars that had been left behind and were reviewing the map, taking a short break from actually running the battle. This was however interrupted when a Soviet Sergeant was coming in. “Comrades, the attack has started.”

Following the aide into the main map room, the two Generals saw that the red and grey arrows slowly advanced south, as of pursuing the slower blue ones. Then suddenly someone cried out: “The forward units of the 94th Rifle Division have run into opposition. Volume of Artillery Fire suggests British Infantry. 213. Infanterie-Division is moving to support. The two Generals frowned at that. The 213th was supposed to secure the roads that ran towards the Belgian Capital, not fight field battles, but then again, if the 94th couldn't secure the flank, then the whole advance was stalled. By the looks of it though, the British had a lot of their units in the area, because now the aides began marking British units in front of the 4th Panzer and the 1. Tank Division too. Could it be that they had run into at least the flank guard of the main body of the BEF? When von Rundstedt asked Chuikov as much, the Soviet took another drag from his cigar and said: “No matter, my friend.” He didn't really mean the last word. “But even if this was our main attack, I'd wager that the British can't defend everything.” The German General grunted agreement. He was perfectly fine with pinning the BEF in place for now instead of decisively it in the field right away. That had been one of the prime mistakes the last time around, and everyone within the German Army was beseeched with the will to do it better. “Our main drive will begin soon. Let the British stay in place. There they can't do too much damage.”

[Notes: I know how unlikely it is that it rains like this at that time of the year ( at least where I live ), but it fitted so well with the Story. No Manstein Plan, hence no pincer movement (yet). In TTL the Dutch did not officially surrender. The event did fire, but I chose to ignore it in the narrative.]

Hobart? A fighting command? God help us! Things are really hotting up on the Western Front. Great update Trek...

Maybe the B.E.F. still has hope.

Good update! :)

Le Jones Well, he did command what would eventually become the 7th Armoured in OTL, so I figured that with the Division not formed from Mobile Force (Egypt) but rather recruits and TA units in TTL he might end up commanding it anyway. Things are indeed hopping up and they don't look too god. I'll try and post a map later today.

humancalculator Indeed it has. The B.E.F. is most of the allied line in central Belgium.

Griffin.Gen He is leading one of four Divisions of Tanks I have in France. I hope he does a good job, and if it is good enough he might even get a Corps command.

Hobart?

This is going to be "Funny", then. :D

“For one, you speak impeccable German, Commander and Lieutenant Commander Leiter is of Irish ancestry.”

Im not caught up yet, but THAT sounds like something out of "The Eagle Has Landed" by Jack Higgins :D

K I did it! Good update bringing Percy in, I wonder what it could be that would make a Frenchman disbelieving!

What could make a Frenchman disbelieving? Hmm, an General who knows what he is doing perhaps? An Army that does not fall apart after three seconds? :D

What could make a Frenchman disbelieving? Hmm, an General who knows what he is doing perhaps? An Army that does not fall apart after three seconds? :D

Naughty, naughty, naughty, trek. :p

Anyways, a 50,000 ton leviathan being sunk just minutes after her first salvo in battle is disbelieving to me if I should say something about disbelief.

All just good-natured poking. Though the French Generalty left something to be desired in '40.