• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Even better to see the Hood!I think Lindemann's famous last words "no aircraft could attack a ship with any accuracy" could come back to bite his German hienie!

Griffin.Gen My favourite BB ever is the Queen Elizabeth Class.

El Pip Very true. But it is not the time yet for either sucess or failure.

KiMaSa The question is, will she be back on station in time?

humancalculator Glad to hear it.

Raaritsgozilla Not only his. Remember, HMs First Sea Lord is also of the gun school.

My favourite BB ever is the Queen Elizabeth Class.

Well, my favourite BB Richelieu can smash up your Queeny. :D

BTW I still hope to see some French naval actions along side the RN (hey the French are still your allies right?), although it is very likely you'll turn the Marine Nationale into a mere collection of target ships in your writing. :p

Well, my favourite BB Richelieu can smash up your Queeny. :D

BTW I still hope to see some French naval actions along side the RN (hey the French are still your allies right?), although it is very likely you'll turn the Marine Nationale into a mere collection of target ships in your writing. :p

Well... I didn't military control the French at this point in the game, I did it only later on for story reasons, and from what I can tell the MN is hiding in Brest, or doing coastal patrols in that area.

Well, Im sure when France falls, their navy will be "borrowed"/ stolen and used as extra padding for the RN.

Yes, yes, it will be a bit tough on Richelieu if she was attacked from behind, so that's why the Alsace should be around. :p

Alsace_class_battleship

Yes, but the sheer level of awesome that a QE contains, especially Warspite, will make the enemy shells bounce off without scratching the paint.

Yes, but the sheer level of awesome that a QE contains, especially Warspite, will make the enemy shells bounce off without scratching the paint.

Oh, you are resorting to the levels of awesomeness?

Well, I'm sure my photos of Richelieu are more awesome than the photos of your Queeny, since Richelieu had all her main batteries (8 x 15" guns) located forward, creating an altogether unmatchable awesome scene. :p (Don't argue with me with the Nelson class, since one turrent was blocked and cannot fire forward)

Therefore according to your "awesomeness creates invincibility" reason, I'll say that a nuclear strike will not even scratch the Richelieu. :D

Chapter 95

panzer_3_e.jpg

10th May 1940

South-eastern Belgium

Leutnant Kramer was advancing over open ground. Advancing, that was something they had done preciously little over the last few days. By now it was clear that the plan, whatever it had been, was a tactical, if not a strategic failure, because the dogged resistance by the cut-off units and constant counter-attacks by the Belgians and some motorized French units, although mostly only brigade strength, sapped the strength of the Axis spearheads, at least until more of the strength could be brought forward over the cramped roads, under almost constant British air attacks, pot shots by Belgian stay behind forces, that would have had trouble supporting the German Army alone, never mind dozens of Soviet Divisions. Still, progress was being made, and in a few days the advance would resume. The Regiment was currently advancing to a new frontal position after smashing a force that was comprised of the remnants of a Belgian Motorized Brigade, and soon they would...
'Whang!' “We are under attack!” It was the driver who made this unnecessary announcement. The shot had glanced of the frontal armour of his tank, and when he looked around, Kramer could see that his tank had been amongst the more lucky ones, as he could see that already three were knocked out, while the rest tried to spot the enemy that had so rudely ambushed them. “There they are, Leutnant!” the gunner yelled, indicating the direction. Kramer identifed them as French Char B1s and swallowed. The 37mm on his tank could not hope to penetrate the frontal armour of one of these beasts. He still defiantly ordered his gunner to open fire. “Target enemy tank, Fire!” As he had expected the shell bounced harmlessly off the armour of the French tank. To his horror he saw that there were at least four of those beasts, and whoever commanded them had laid an well executed ambush. The four French tanks advanced in the classical 'stop-shoot-drive-stop-shoot-drive' pattern, shrugging off the fire of the desperate Germans. Kramer instructed his radio operator to inform the Regiment and the Division. Meanwhile he was taking his platoon of tanks forward, trying to flank the French and hit them where their armour was the weakest and where even the small 37mm had no trouble penetrating the steel of it's hull. Unfortunately for him suddenly four more French tanks appeared, and a bad situation became a desperate one. At this time the French and the Germans were so close that the Stukas would not be able to hit one side without damaging the other, and the action degenerated into a medieval melee, with each crew fighting for survival. The French slowly but surely pressed their attack home, and soon the Germans saw themselves forced to retreat.

“FIRE! Reload!” Kramer yelled, struggling the make himself heard over the noise of battle. The shell smashed into the frontal armour of the French, but did not penetrate. “FIRE!” This time the crew of Kramer's tank had more luck, it destroyed the right track of the French tank, effectively immobilizing it. But it seemed to be to no avail. More and more French tanks were throwing themselves against the desperately fighting Germans who got pushed in the general direction of the provisional Division CP. 'WHANG' One more shell hit Kramer's tank. This time it was fatal. The shell penetrated the thin rear armour in the left side of the tank, destroying the engine and setting the remnants on fire. “Out! Out! Out!” Kramer yelled, and the crew scrambled out the side escape hatches into the dubious security of an environment filled with shrapnel and bullets. The men crawled away from the stricken tank that had carried them for so long and tried to go in the general direction of the German lines, crawling below the general arcs of fire. The French advance was still going strong, and as Kramer and his men hid behind a small wall that had once been a part of a farm, they could see that the Germans were giving ever more ground. Kramer had long since lost control of the engagement when a French shell had destroyed hid wireless antennae, and to his horror he saw that half the companies vehicles were knocked out, while the enemy had lost a mere two tanks. Then suddenly his radio operator yelled: “Leutnant, look!” and pointed in the direction from where they had advanced before the ambush. Before he could look around, he heard the distinctive bellowing noise of the 88mm flack gun. What in the blazes where they shooting at? This time he looked, and to his amazement the guns were shooting at the French tanks, knocking them out one by one. The guns were about half a mile behind the line of the retreating German tanks, firing from a slightly elevated position. Their precise fire held back the French, and eventually forced the survivors to retreat. Kramer rose to his feet, and tried to light his last cigarette with shaking hands. He eventually gave up and simply started to walk over to the guns on wobbly legs, not caring if his crew followed him. The whole violence of the sudden assault had shaken him deeply. He would never admit it, but he realized that he now knew how the others always felt when German armour attacked.

Suddenly however there was a distinct roar in the air, and before he could even throw himself to the ground again, artillery fire started to fall, churning over the earth Kramer clung to desperately and throwing huge columns of it into the air. With a strange detachment Kramer noticed that whoever was doing the shooting had mis-judged the position of the German guns, as the fire was falling short. The artillery fire intensified, and soon it was just a constant roar of incoming and exploding shells. Kramer desperately pressed his hands onto his ears, in a vain effort to block out the noise. He would never know it, but he screamed the entire time, and neither would he notice the Soviet Su-2 ground attack planes that were roaring overhead in an attempt to suppress the enemy guns. He did however notice when the enemy fire slacked off as it seemed it had only been intended to cover the retreat of the remnant of the French tank force. He stopped screaming, but refused to stand up, suddenly realizing that the small ditch he was in was incredibly comforting and cozy. He only looked up when he heard a voice, saying in a distinctively south-german accent that reminded him of home: “Everything all right down there?” Kramer looked up. At first he saw a pair of dirty field boots, then the trousers of an Officers uniform of the Panzer troops, followed by the upperworks of someone who was distinctively senior in rank to him. He scrambled to his feet and looked into the smiling face of the Division commander. He threw a quick salute. “General, I...” He was at a loss for words, and simply shut his mouth again. Rommel just grinned and said: “My reaction wasn't much different when I experienced that for the first time, so don't worry, Leutnant.” “Jawohl, Herr General.” “So, Leutnant, you encountered the French then.” “Yes, Sir. They came out of nowhere.” By now he had calmed down somewhat and proceeded to report what he had seen, while his crew stood in a respectful distance. “They fired at us first from ridge over there. The opening shots took out at least two of our Panzer IIIs, and several others were hit. They advanced down over the open ground. General, I hit one of them at least four or five times, and the shots just bounced off or didn't penetrate!”

Rommel nodded. “I noticed, Leutnant.” He sighed and said, with a tired voice: “Hopefully now the brass at the OKW listens to me.” Kramer did not reply, as he sensed that the General was not really waiting for a reply. “Tend to your men, Leutnant, and then get back to the CP. We should get you a new Panzer from Division reserve soon.” “Yes, Sir.” Rommel stalked back to the line of 88s, while Kramer approached his men. “Someone is collecting favours, eh?” his driver said, holding his right arm where it had been grazed by a splinter. “Shut up you idiot! How are you all?” “I didn't even piss my pants. Guess it means I'm a seasoned veteran now.” They all laughed, and although it sounded somewhat forced, it helped ease the tension they all felt. Kramer felt incredibly grateful that there was no more enemy activity he could see, and so they walked off to the Division Command Post. When they passed the line of guns, Kramer almost lovingly touched the one closest to him. If anyone ever managed to put one of these babies into a tank, nothing would stop them. But for now he had a war to win.

00024.jpg

[Game Notes: I am beginning to suspect that the lack of progress by the AI is not only caused by the stiffer resistance, but also an inability to deal with the situation I put it in...Ah well, I shall not complain, because it won't stay that way. From what footage I've seen over the years, Rommel didn't seem to speak a too accentuated German, but it is noticeable, especially for someone like me who comes from the same area. I figured that he tried to suppress it when speaking for the newsreel cameras, and didn't when he was just making conversation.]

Good to see some French Armour in action, but I was rather expecting Rommel to use the 88 on the Matildas. :p

Well, that was quite close... God bless the 8,8...
Yes, yes, it will be a bit tough on Richelieu if she was attacked from behind, so that's why the Alsace should be around. :p

Alsace_class_battleship

By the time that the Alsace wold be around the war would be over ;)

Howeber, the Alsace ships would have a magnificent class, indeed.

From what footage I've seen over the years, Rommel didn't seem to speak a too accentuated German, but it is noticeable, especially for someone like me who comes from the same area.

Gruss Gott... first it was Wüstenfuchs... now trekaddict... we are surrounded by southeners!

:rofl:

Heh, French tanks beating panzers, what weird alternate universe is this then? Still, sadly its only a matter of time till the Continent falls.

I echo gaiasabre11, its good to see French tanks beating back the Boche, instead of hanging behind the Maginot Line. Awesome to see Rommel too.
Nice bit of foreshadowing! Put an 88 in a tank... who woulda thought :D I like i like

Heh, French tanks beating panzers, what weird alternate universe is this then? Still, sadly its only a matter of time till the Continent falls.

Heh, it's sure weird. It should be French tanks obliterating panzers. :p

gaiasabre11 Aside from the 2nd RH's Crusaders there are no British tanks on the continent yet.

Kurt_Steiner The 88 was called the Queen of the Guns by the Wehrmacht for a reason.

And what's this about southerners? We are no southerners, we leave that for the smelly Bavarians. We are instead the technological powerhouse of Germany.

Lord Strange The general gospel on French tanks is: "Well armed and protected, poorly made and used". But rest assured, once the BEF arrives ze Germans and their friends have a real fight on their hands.

Raaritsgozilla Well, for now the technology and the need simply aren't there. :D

gaiasabre11 I leave that for the British.

By the time that the Alsace wold be around the war would be over ;)

Howeber, the Alsace ships would have a magnificent class, indeed.

Nah, the Alsace should be able to be commissioned sometime between 1944 ~ early 1945 (if not for the fall of France, of course). At the very least Alsace should still be able to bash up some Japanese ships or be at Tokyo Bay if she was completed.

Alsace will certainly be one magnificent BB, with a whooping 12 x 15" guns. :D Only the US Montana could top that with 12 x 16" guns. But then I'd hope that there will be a Super Alsace with 12 x 18" guns. :p

trekaddict said:
I leave that for the British.

I was expecting you to say that. :p

And what's this about southerners? We are no southerners, we leave that for the smelly Bavarians. We are instead the technological powerhouse of Germany.

Yes, nothing good came ever from Bayern.

But for beer and my greatgrandpa, perhaps.

And look at his greatgrandson!!!! :rofl:

Kramer has had a bad day at the office, someone should give him a stiff drink and tell him to calm down. When he goes back tomorrow those French tanks will either have broken down, gone on strike or (most likely) both.

Actually while I'm here I'll ask the resident French patriot if it's true the last batch of French employment statistics were indeed issued late as the civil servants responsible were on strike, complaining about the high levels of unemployment and the resulting extra work they had to do?

Kramer has had a bad day at the office, someone should give him a stiff drink and tell him to calm down. When he goes back tomorrow those French tanks will either have broken down, gone on strike or (most likely) both.

Actually while I'm here I'll ask the resident French patriot if it's true the last batch of French employment statistics were indeed issued late as the civil servants responsible were on strike, complaining about the high levels of unemployment and the resulting extra work they had to do?

For Kramer Case Yellow is pretty much the first time he faces real opposition that has the means to kill him, because even with his polish service he is still relatively green.

As for the French Civil Servants, I seem to remember hearing something along these lines from Atlantic Friend a while back.