• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
At long last the war has begun. :D God save the king/queen (Really though, from what?) ;)

danielshannon said:
To war to war to war we're gonna go

I can't wait!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That is hilarious!

Well, good luck!

i really like the way you put forward the reluctance of the british to go to war, and also the style at the end reminded me of a novel about dunkirk - 'ride out the storm' i think it was called. anyway handled wrongly that update could have been crap, with englishmen spitting out their tea in comical fashion and then expressing the desire to kick jerry's arse. twould not have been good.

I try and resist pedantry normally, but that I couldn't resist

It begins!

I look forward to the speech from "The Prime Minister and the Ling", for I believe the thoughts of a random Chinese chappy will be of great interest. :D

I fully approve of your main RN characters, following the Hood through the war is a spiffing choice.

GeneralHannibal Pretty much yes. With the 20 Divisions I have that are not garrissons or are needed to defend India ( more on that in due time ) I can't do that. Besides. it would be unrealistic.

Griffin.Gen Glad to have you aboard! The main problem are the many accents spoken in the British Empire I'm afraid.

danielshannon Thanks! :rofl:

humancalculator It took me long enough to get here.

ColossusCrusher Thanks!

BritishImperial I believe to correct way to handle any war like World War 2 by a democratic power is to try and prevent the war at all costs, but fight it through to the finish if it can't be avoided. I must admit the stile of this update was a bit borrowed from "Red Storm Rising", one of the few Tom Clancy novels I can read today without puking, which means I recommend it to you all.

El Pip Hehehe.

Well, Hood and the two won't be my only characters, especially since the naval war in Europe will become boring if I manage to destroy the KM, but we shall visit them regularly.

Enewald said:
Page 57 is a good place to begin the war.
Nelson was a lucky fool.
Very lucky. :eek:o

Ah, poles are fools, just as much as the french!

Well, they are all brave fools, and the British admire those. Seriously, the Poles will surprise you all. They certainly surprised me.

Enewald said:
In a good or bad way?

Btw, when do you sleep? :rofl:

I can't tell about the poles.

Note that I am currently unemployed ( a situation that will last until January ), so I still had about seven hours tonight.

danielshannon said:
Trek doesn't sleep, He waits.

I do sleep, and I consume one cup of coffee every morning.

Also I am already almost ready to post the next update, as it mainly consits of two stock speeches by the PM and the King that I grabbed off the Internet, but I felt I had to bring them in here.

Chapter 57

Churchilladdressparliament.jpg

September 2nd, 1939

House of Commons Emergency session, broadcast globally by the BBC

Winston Churchill stood at the microphones that had been installed hastily. The BBC would broadcast this speech and the proceedings for all the world to hear, and for many it would be the first news of war. The Dominion leaders would shortly do so on their own national radios and on the BBC. Canada had already declared war on the Axis Powers, and it was expected that the ANZACs and the rest of the Allied Powers would follow within the hour. Still, he had a task to perform right now, and started to speak.

“A few short hours ago Axis forces have crossed the border into Poland. Despite the assurances of the British Empire that such a move would bring certain retribution, Herr Hitler and Comrade Stalin have chosen to ignore these warnings and have sent their Armies to march. It is therefore my sad duty to announce that as of six AM this morning we are formally at war with the Axis Powers. In this solemn hour it is a consolation to recall and to dwell upon our repeated efforts for peace. All have been ill-faited, but all have been faithful and sincere. This is of the highest moral value--and not only moral value, but practical value--at the present time, because the wholehearted concurrence of scores of billions of men and women, whose co-operation is indispensable and whose comradeship and brotherhood are indispensable, is the only foundation upon which the trial and tribulation of modern war can be endured and surmounted. This moral conviction alone affords that ever-fresh resilience which renews the strength and energy of people in long, doubtful and dark days. Outside, the storms of war may blow and the lands may be lashed with the fury of its gales, but in our own hearts this Saturday morning there is peace. Our hands may be active, but our consciences are at rest.

We must not underrate the gravity of the task which lies before us or the temerity of the ordeal, to which we shall not be found unequal. We must expect many disappointments, and many unpleasant surprises, but we may be sure that the task which we have freely accepted is one not beyond the compass and the strength of the British Empire and the French Republic. I say it is a sad day, and that is indeed true, but at the present time there is another note which may be present, and that is a feeling of thankfulness that, if these great trials were to come upon our Island, there is a generation of Britons here now ready to prove itself not unworthy of the days of yore and not unworthy of those great men, the fathers of our land, who laid the foundations of our laws and shaped the greatness of our country.

This is not a question of fighting for Warsaw or fighting for Poland. We are fighting to save the whole world from the pestilence of Nazi and communist tyranny and in defense of all that is most sacred to man. This is no war of domination or imperial aggrandizement or material gain; no war to shut any country out of its sunlight and means of progress. It is a war, viewed in its inherent quality, to establish, on impregnable rocks, the rights of the individual, and it is a war to establish and revive the stature of man. Perhaps it might seem a paradox that a war undertaken in the name of liberty and right should require, as a necessary part of its processes, the surrender for the time being of so many of the dearly valued liberties and rights. In these next few days the House of Commons will be voting dozens of Bills which hand over to the executive our most dearly valued traditional liberties. We are sure that these liberties will be in hands which will not abuse them, which will use them for no class or party interests, which will cherish and guard them, and we look forward to the day, surely and confidently we look forward to the day, when our liberties and rights will be restored to us, and when we shall be able to share them with the peoples to whom such blessings are unknown.”
Thundering applause was the response to the Prime Minister's speech, and as he left the stage King George VI took his place.

“"In this grave hour, perhaps the most fateful in our history, I send to every household of my peoples, both at home and overseas, this message, spoken with the same depth of feeling for each one of you as if I were able to cross your threshold and speak to you myself. For the second time in the lives of most of us we are at war. Over and over again we have tried to find a peaceful way out of the differences between ourselves and those who are now our enemies. But it has been in vain. We have been forced into a conflict. For we are called, with our allies, to meet the challenge of a principle which, if it were to prevail, would be fatal to any civilised order in the world. It is the principle which permits a state, in the selfish pursuit of power, to disregard its treaties and its solemn pledges; which sanctions the use of force, or threat of force, against the sovereignty and independence of other states. Such a principle, stripped of all disguise, is surely the mere primitive doctrine that might is right; and if this principle were established throughout the world, the freedom of our own country and of the whole British Commonwealth of Nations would be in danger. But far more than this - the peoples of the world would be kept in the bondage of fear, and all hopes of settled peace and of the security of justice and liberty among nations would be ended.

This is the ultimate issue which confronts us. For the sake of all that we ourselves hold dear, and of the world's order and peace, it is unthinkable that we should refuse to meet the challenge. It is to this high purpose that I now call my people at home and my peoples across the seas, who will make our cause their own. I ask them to stand calm, firm, and united in this time of trial. The task will be hard. There may be dark days ahead, and war can no longer be confined to the battlefield. But we can only do the right as we see the right, and reverently commit our cause to God. If one and all we keep resolutely faithful to it, ready for whatever service or sacrifice it may demand, then, with God's help, we shall prevail.

May God bless and keep us all".

Upon exiting the House of Commons the King approached Churchill. “So, Prime Minister, what are we going to do now?” Churchill raised his head and replied: “Well, there's a war on, so I guess we shall both fight it to the best of our abilities.”

Somewhere in London

Marshal Gort was on his way to confer with the Prime Minister for the first time in this war. The drive took him through the centre of London, and the soldier took the time to study the differences that could already be seen. The recruitment offices of the Navy, Air Force and Army had long lines in front of them, and Uniforms of every imaginable form were popping up all over the place, even veterans of the last war, either too old or disabled to fight again had donned their old tunic to show support. Overhead a flight of Spitfires was patrolling, careful to avoid the rising barrage balloons. The Royal Artillery Regiment was stationing Anti-Air guns in every available open space, and he could see the heavy guns pointing their barrels skyward as the car drove past Hyde Park. On the highest buildings the Royal Observer Corps had lookouts posted, all in all it seemed as if the pre-war plans for the defence of London were already acted upon, the whole city seemed to be gripped in a mood of grim determination, unwilling to go to war in the first place, but now that it had happened anyway determined to fight it out. It surprised Gort. After the last war, the first war or however it was called now, as the new war would certainly be greater than this first 'World War', the British had been gripped in the same pacifism that had engulfed the rest of the warring powers. This had led to disarmament and the ideology of appeasement at all costs, something that Gort as a soldier despised with all his heart. Now the mood seemed different in many respects, and he wondered just how much of that the never tiring Prime Minister and the King had achieved. He wasn't complaining, but he knew that a man as adventerous as Prime Minister Churchill needed to be kept under watch, as everyone within the service still remembered Gallipoli. On the whole however Gort believed that Churchill just might be the right man to lead the British Empire through a war like this, as much to everyone's surprise he had proven to be a capable peace-time leader, and if he was even half as capable during wartime British chances were good.

[Game notes: Churchill has made many great speeches, and I will use many of them. Those who know me should know which one I mean in particular.]

Enewald said:
Erhm, so the poles are literally let alone, poland being only a reason for this war? :rofl:

Well. I can show you a screenshot that illustrates how little I can do for them with my measly little Army and the French as allies.

As you can see they are bordering Axis powers on three sides and face the Armies of Germany, the Soviet Union and to a lesser extent Czechoslovakia. They don't evne have access to the sea since they ceded the German cores, so forcing the Baltic with the RN like I had first intended is not an option, at least not alone.

Huzzah for war, the thousands ships of the royal navy descend upon Britians enemies. Come on Plucky little Poland.

I was already aboard my friend :p
I agree, Churchill made many great speech and I'm glad your gonna use many of them.

That map forms a most excellent reason why Poland is being left to it's own devices. :)

Well, I can just say that the Poles won't give up easily.

Seriously, I wish one could embedd Youtube Videos here.

Last edited:
trekaddict said:
Those who know me should know which one I mean in particular.
I don't know you personally, but I would guess that you will use this one of Churchill's speeches. (I am guessing as to the words, as I haven't heard it in a while. I know that several parts are totally incorrect. :( )

"We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the streets, we shall fight in the hills and cities, and we shall defend our island, and if all or a large portion of this island were occupied and starving, we shall, protected by the royal navy, continue our struggle from our overseas possessions, until, in God's good time, the New World with all of its power and might shall come and rescue the old."