• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
robw963 said:
I don't suppose you remember that name of that film do you? I have a masochistic interest in bad war films.

I think this one is it.

Edit: It's probably that there are too many mistakes in ot for me to really like it. Luckily I just noticed I actually bought the DVD a few years ago, so I might re-watch it at some point.

trekaddict said:
But to make up for that I announce that the war will start within the next five to seven updates at most.

YAY! That makes me very excited. :D

Chapter 51

Royal20apartments20at20Windsor20-1.jpg

June 1st, 1939

Windsor Castle

The King and Queen had taken the news of what had transpired in France with the solemn dignity one expected of a Royal, but later on the King had asked Churchill for a private meeting. When Churchill entered the room he could see, much to his surprise that the King seemed to have shed some private tears. He did not comment on it, but the Prime Minister felt that what was coming would certainly mark a first in the History of the House of Windsor. “You wished to talk to me, your Majesty?” The King took a second to regain his composure before answering. “Yes, Winston.” It seemed that the King was searching for the right thing to say, once more reminding Churchill that he was a human being after all. “Tell me, Prime Minister, what is the Government's official reaction to the assassination of my brother?” “That is difficult to say, Sir. The problem is that if we had a choice I would have preferred keeping it secret for a few more months, but as you can see, your Majesty, the press is screaming for war, and yet I must say that we are not yet ready for another Great War. In a few months the situation will be different, but you too have been at the briefing of the Imperial General Staff.” Churchill answered, referring to a report delivered by Field Marshal Ironside, revealing that the British Empire would be ready for war by spring 1940 at the earliest. Only then would all the services be able to guarantee the security of the United Kingdom, and until then war had to be avoided if humanly possible. This however seemed increasingly impossible with each passing day. The King nodded. “So what are we going to do? Short of war only breaking diplomatic relations with Germany would satisfy myself and the public fully.” The PM nodded. “Indeed, your Majesty. In fact we have already recalled our Embassy from Germany, so when we go public tomorrow the public can see that something is already done, so hopefully we can if not prevent then at least delay this war.” Little did the King know that Churchill had preferred going to war this instant, ready or not ready, but the King was still the King, and he still had considerable influence in Imperial politics.

Much to everyone's surprise King George VI had insisted that his brother was to be given the full state funeral fitting of a King. He had argued that despite his Brother's past endeavours and failures he still had been the Monarch at one point and therefore deserved to be buried as such. He had been obeyed, but according to several quiet but still outspoken sources the Queen had not been so supportive in this. But still, a state funeral was already being arranged, and the King had publicly stated that the House of Windsor would go into mourning for the time being, meaning that on all residences the flags of the house would be on half-mast. The state funeral was set to take place as soon as the Imperial Embassy managed to coax the French into releasing the Body, something the Foreign Office expected to happen each day now. HMS Hood would then take the bodies back to Britain where they would be buried with all the respect they deserved, the King would see to that. “It will all be taken care of, your Majesty.” Churchill promised, fully intent on keeping that promise. The King nodded in approval. “And the man who tried to save my brother, I trust they will be taken care of?” “Yes, your Majesty. Admiral Edwards will see to that.” “Good. I would like to meet them, especially these two officers, if that can be made possible.” “Yes, your Majesty.”

January 1st, 1939

Reichskanzlei Berlin, Third Reich

Adolf Hitler was happy with life at the moment. Operation Pinie had been cast off, and in a few days it would be known how successful it had been when the British papers stabbed their Government in the back like they always did in the weak western democracies. This would distract the British and keep them disunited, weakening them when the Axis was ready to strike. The only thing that was not improving his mood today was that the English Ambassador had asked for an audience, with the intention of bringing a note from their Government. The Foreign Ministry had no idea what that not might contain, but he had decided that whatever demands it contained it would be denied. The English had no businesses in interfering in German and Soviet affairs any more than they already had, and it was time that someone showed the crumbling British Empire its boundaries. For now that could only be done on the Diplomatic front, but the joint German/Soviet plans for Case White and Case yellow were in the final planning phase, in fact Guderian had met the Soviet General Zhukov to finalize certain things.

“Mein Führer, the British Ambassador is here now.” “Show him in.” The Ambassador, Sir Neville Meyrick Henderson, walked briskly up to Hitler's desk. He did not sit down and simply handed the Führer a note, with the seal of the United Kingdom and said: “His Majesties Government has instructed me to hand you the note I have just given you. It will inform you that the British Empire is breaking all diplomatic and economical relations with Germany until further notice, in reaction to the assassination of His Royal Highness, the Duke of Windsor. There will be no need for denial, as the British Empire, working together with her French Allies has irrefutable proof that it were in fact German Special Forces that killed the Duke and his wife. What is your response, Mr. Hitler?” At first Hitler did not react at all. He was stunned that the British not only had managed to deduce the German involvement in Operation Pinie, but were not, as they usually did keeping this secret to use in one of their schemes. They also showed considerable courage and determination. Von Ribbentrops English section had repeatedly assured him that even if the British found out they would not react, in fear of provoking a war. Hitler had not been convinced. He knew that Churchill was not Chamberlain, that Churchill was determined to deter any further German expansion, and this had been the very reason for Pinie, to create more breathing room and to delay any eventual British response. He had to respond somehow, and after a few minutes he had formulated his thoughts well enough to be able to say what he wanted to say.

“This is ridiculous! The German Reich has nothing to do with whatever killing you wish to blame on us! We are peace-loving and if the Empire cannot keep it's subordinate natives in line then it is not our problem!” Henderson smiled thinly, and reminded himself that a diplomat did not punch foreign heads of state in their face, no matter how tempting that prospect might be. Instead he said: “As I already said, Mr. Hitler, denial will not accomplish anything. We have proof, we have prisoners and most importantly we haven't told the public yet. We will do so tomorrow, and imagine what the reaction will be? The Duke might have abdicated from the throne to be able to marry a common woman, but he was a member of the Royal Family to the end, and touching them will make a lot of common Britons and all Imperial Subjects very angry. His Majesty will address the Nation tomorrow, and the British Empire will not stand for such dastardly attacks on any of her citizens. I was also instructed by his Majesty, King George VI to convey a personal warning of the Government of the British Empire and all her people and Imperial Dominions: One more false step, one more territorial expansion at the cost of any of your neighbours or any similar expansion by your friends in the Soviet Union will mean war, a war that will bring the entire might of the British Empire by land, sea and air down upon the Axis powers. Whatever your goal was with killing the Duke of Windsor, it has failed. If war comes then every single one of his Majesties subjects, from the United Kingdom to the Imperial Dominion of Malaya, from the Falkland Islands to Scotland will stand united behind the cause. Bear that in mind, Mr. Hitler. Now if you excuse me, I have an Embassy to dissolve. Good Afternoon.” With that he left. Hitler was furious. No one had ever dared to speak to him this way. The British would pay, oh yes they would pay. He would call Raeder. The Naval planning staff would be instructed to plan Operation Sea Lion immediately.

mw51368.jpg

Sir Neville Meyrick Henderson

[Game effects: All trade agreements between the Empire and Germany have been cancelled, and I will not react to any further. (HOI3 needs a better diplomatic system, if just for flavour) I may not like the Duke of Windsor, but my mom taught me not to speak ill of the dead, and he still was the King's brother, so he will receive the whole schebang while the house goes into public mourning. That's how I wrote it, so live with it. Please. From here on out it will be like this: British Empire for the whole country (duh), United Kingdom for the British Isles, and Britain when referring to Britain ( the Island ) The other home nations of the British Empire will either be called by their 'colonial' names or 'Imperial Dominion of (insert country)']

a welcome and long-awaited verbal kick in the balls for mr hitler, well done. i hope he had a taste for british-indian tea.

danielshannon said:
I eagerly await the coming war. I can't wait to see how you tackle this unholy alliance.
Quoted for truth.

BritishImperial I had much fun writing it. It simply flowed out of the Keyboard so to speak, it pretty much wrote itself.

danielshannon&Hellvink I plan to tackle it with a stiff upper lip, a huge pot of Tea and centuries of British Military tradition, how else? :D

Good Update! I can't wait until the war starts! :D

Ouch. His ego dropped a few points. :D

trekaddict said:
danielshannon&Hellvink I plan to tackle it with a stiff upper lip, a huge pot of Tea and centuries of British Military tradition, how else? :D
Then victory is assured.
ja.gif

Spiffing update, particularly the big confrontation scene between Hitler and the ambassador. Roll on to war and victory! :D

Griffin.Gen To be honest, neither did I.

ColossusCrusher It should have. The man needed someone to show him his place.

El Pip Let's hope so. Still, I already have a rough Battleplan at this point, hopefully it works out. If it does then we shall roll on to victory.

trekaddict said:
No scones?!?!?!
Darn, you sure a dastardly cheeky fellow.

Hellvink Indeed, old Chap.

Bafflegab I was so frustrated with that particular plotline for some time, as it dragged on forever, about two times the number of updates I expected, and I needed the release. :D Glad you liked it.

trekaddict said:
Something awesome I just found.

Familliarize yourselves with the content Gentlemen, as we will see quite a few of those.
Excellent, I feel your current style lends itself very, very well to descriptions of heroic tales of daring and courage. I'm looking forward to war immensely! :D

half those non-campaign medals look like 2p coins on a bit of ribbon. i suppose its what they represent's what counts. a soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of coloured ribbon, as we know.

El Pip Thank you. I too look forward to the war, but I am still unsure how I should handle the loooong campaigns. A well, I have a diverse cast of Military personell of all the services and Civillians aswell. I'll figure something out.

BritishImperial
True that, but it's the thought that counts, for example the Victoria Cross, the highest British medal for gallantry and valor is made from the cheapest imaginable metal.

Chapter 52

Royalburialground.jpg

Monday, June 11th, 1939

Royal Burial Ground, behind Windsor Castle

After the Ceremony that had seen the Duke of Windsor and his wife lowered side by side into the family graveyard the King and Queen had retreated to their chambers within the castle. To Churchill it seemed that the Queen still hadn't forgiven the Duke for abdicating over what she had perceived to be a minor fling, but then again he was her Husband's brother, so she and the children had appeared to be sufficiently solemn. Still, this was an internal matter, and therefore non of his concern. He searched out Fleming, personally invited by the King and situated in the centre rows of the congregation. The two did thought that they were simply there to brief the King and the Cabinet on what they had found out about the particulars of the German operation, no small task for two such relatively low Officers. Unknown to them the King planned to remedy this situation later in the day, with another half-stripe for each, along with the Distinguished Service Order, for their 'ultimately futile yet heroic deeds' in France. The rest of the combat group would not be forgotten either, but all would be kept very quiet. Churchill regretted this, as during wartime this would have been an extraordinary feat, one that would have been widely publicised. Still, if things were going as they were now that might change all too soon. When war came then the British Empire would face many more, similar attacks, but he already had some ideas about how he would deal with it. There was much that needed to be discussed. If the Empire was to wither the storm that the Axis Powers would unleash upon her then their war efforts needed to be matched on every level, including such clandestine work. Brigadier Browning, the commander of the fledgling 6th Airborne Brigade had already written a report that contained some interesting ideas about all this...

Three hours later the 'public' part of the meeting came to a close. Currently the Foreign Secretary was speaking. “...and it seems that the Nationalists are getting desperate. They have resorted to scorched earth tactics to slow down the Nip...Japanese, and it seems that it is not working at all. My China Desk estimates that organized Chinese resistance will collapse within the next month or so, especially now that the Japanese have hanged Mao in Tokio. They have approached us over Hong Kong.” Churchill was leaning back. He knew what that meeting had been about, but the others did not and for their sake he decided that Eden should explain it again. “Do they want it back?” Templewood asked. “Not at all, Minister.” Eden answered, with a quick glance at the King and the Prime Minister. “In fact the Chinese seem to know that they are loosing the war and fast, so they want to modify the lease agreement.” Eden paused for the dramatic effect. “Indefinite lease, and, in case the Japanese don't agree to a, and I quote: 'favourable peace agreement' end quote, with the Republic of China, then transfer of ownership to the British Empire.” “So you mean if the Nips annex China Hong Kong is ours for good?” Templewood asked. “Technically yes, Minister. They see it as their best bit to keep it out of Japanese hands in case they loose the war.” Templewood leaned back, and it could be seen clearly that he wished for the Japanese to wholesale annex China, as a Hong Kong that was British forever had been a long held dream of his. “What should I instruct my people to tell the Chinese? The Viceroy expects instructions.” Churchill shared a quick look with the King, who would have regarded the whole exchange with an amused expression had it not been for recent events, but now simply nodded. “Tell them that the His Majesty the King and the British Empire will be glad to agree to that deal.”

After another five minutes the cabinet members had left, except for the King, the Prime Minister, the Chief of the Imperial General Staff and two inconspicuous Royal Navy officers that had been sitting in the background, sweating blood in the presence of the highest brass that could be found in the British Empire. Both Fleming and Leiter had no Idea why they had been 'asked' to attend this meeting and had not known that the King would be there until the second he walked through the door. Both where sure that whatever it was, it couldn't be good. Would they be stripped of rank for not saving the King's brother after they had delivered their reports? Would they be drummed out of the Royal Navy for not achieving their goal? Both had no idea. “Well, then Gentlemen, there are other matters we need to discuss. Lieutenant Commander Fleming and Lieutenant Leiter here will brief you all on what we know by now.” The two men rose from their chairs and nervously glanced around before Fleming started to speak first. “Your Majesty, Gentlemen. We are about to report about the recent assassination of the Duke of Windsor by German Special Forces. Lieutenant Leiter will hand out copies of a Briefing Document we have prepared that summarizes what we already know and provides some background information, like pictures and so on that we have assembled over the last few days.” He cleared his throat and went on, after Felix had handed out the folders. “For the last week we have interviewed both the surviving staff of the Duke's household and the prisoners we managed to take during the attack.” He pinned a map to the blackboard that had been used in earlier briefings. “To begin with you must understand that most of what little evidence we have, is circumstantial.” Leiter said. “We did manage to capture the commanding officer of the raiding party, but he is still to heavily wounded to talk, and the other prisoners simply didn't do so when they were questioned by MI6.” Fleming continued. “An unknown amount of time ago Admiral Wilhelm Canaris, the head of German Military Intelligence, was tasked by someone high in the German hierarchy, probably Hitler himself, to plan and execute the capture or assassination of his Royal Highness, the Duke of Windsor. We are not sure if killing the Duke was on their agenda from the start or if it was just a result of the circumstances and the resistance offered by his security personnel. It seems that, no matter the outcome of the attack itself, the main goal was it to blame it on renegade factions within the Empire, in order to create political diversion, or to at least weaken the political and military response to whatever the Axis Powers plan to do next.” The stunned silence in the room proved to Fleming and Leiter that the sources the Cabinet had had not yet gotten wind of their results, something that proved that the new internal security measures the NID had enacted after the arrest of Philby.

Templewood was the first to speak again. “Do you have any proof for that?” It was Leiter who responded. “No, Sir. But with what we have learned from various sources, what little the prisoners told us and from what we saw in France it is simply a matter of deductive reasoning. The fake British Uniforms and the rest of the Equipment the Germans used are pointing clearly in that direction. Why else would they bother? The global weapon market is huge, so they could have used anything available today. Same goes for the Uniforms.” He looked around and to his relief both the King and the Prime Minister met his gaze with approving nods. “So anyway,” he went on, in order to stave of any more potential interruptions. “the Germans approached the mansion just about the same time we found out about the operation through a source, probably by U-Boat. Through this source we learned that the attack was very close to be launched, so we flew down to boost security and to persuade His Royal Highness to move back to Britain. Little did we know that, while we were disembarking the plane, the Germans were already in position. They had a Sniper Team here,” he indicated the position on the map, “and an ambush position here, in which we were caught,” he pointed the position. “they breached the main entrance, and...did their work, so to speak. When we arrived the sniper team was already gone, all we found were shell casings, of the same calibre used in standard issue British Army Rifles of the Lee-Enfield type, and a bit further towards the shore a corresponding Rifle with an attached telescopic sight.” The King interrupted. “So the assassins were taken out by U-Boat again?” It was Felix who answered. “No, your Majesty. They presumably made their way out through Spain. Having the U-Boats stick around would have been too dangerous. With the increased patrols of both the British and French Navies in the area it would have been much too risky. We think that most likely the U-Boats simply dropped off the two teams, and then moved back to wherever they were to go as a cover, most likely Italy, because coincidentally two German U-Boats are currently conducting manoeuvres with the Italian Navy, U-37 and U-47, according to a source we have.” For the next hour Ian and Felix detailed what little else was known to NID and MI6 at this point, which was little enough, but more than what the press was printing each day. The public reaction to the assassination had been ranging from indifference among those who still resented the abdication and all that had been going on around it to calls for war among those who felt that British honour had been insulted and that no one was to touch the Royal Family. In the end the calls by the King and the Government for moderation had lessened these calls, but they were still there. It was clear, the German plan had backfired drastically, and the population was now united in a way that had been unthinkable a mere year ago. Those who had called for appeasement at all costs had now either changed sides or had been silenced. Many said that the policy of appeasement had achieved nothing but making the Germans even stronger, had led them to believe that the British Empire was weak and unwilling to fight if need be. This was no longer the case. It was now clear for everyone, war would come on day, and it was better to go into the abyss prepared.

When the meeting was finally over Ian and Felix prepared themselves to drive back to London, but were stopped short by the voice of the George VI. “One moment please, Gentlemen.” The two immediately jumped back and snapped to attention. “I understand it was you who discovered my Brothers body?” “Yes, your Majesty, but much to our...” King George cut them off with a move of his hand. “I am sure you did what you could, and I can't ask any more than that of any of my officers. I am thankful that you at least tried.” “Thank you, your Majesty.” The King smiled and addressed Leiter. “I understand you two were wounded?” “Yes, Sir. Relatively minor wounds, but paired with heavy blood loss. These new transfusion packages saved me, Commander Fleming was more lucky.” King George had a winning grin on his face when he said: “Well, I asked Admiral Edwards to take care of you two, but I wanted to give you these personally.” With these words the King took two cases, lying on the table, where they had been concealed by a huge swath of Papers. “It is my honour,” he said, “to award the two of you the Distinguished Service Cross for gallantry during active operations against the enemy. Your post-nomination letters are in the post and should arrive in a few days, but I also wanted to give you these, as I felt that advancement in rank was also in order. Congratulations, Gentlemen.”

[Game Notes: Due to size in separate post below. They will also be called Game Notes from now on.]

If you look closely you can see that I watched way too many CSI Miami and NY episodes over the last few weeks... Sorry. So anyway, I am a bit itching to get the war started, so the the run up to the war will start soon. The 6th Airborne Brigade will eventually be expanded to a full Division, which will in turn be part of at least one full Airborne Corps ( four Divisions ) I plan to build. There can be no WW2 without British Paras. In TTL SAS will in the beginning only consist of 22 Regiment, which will be a true Paratrooper Regiment, but trained like the OTL SAS and do the same work. The 6th Airborne Division will also contain the “Royal Gurkha Airborne Rifle Regiment” ( final name pending ) which will probably be the single most terrifying military unit in history. My short term plan for the Airborne is clear, within the usual uses Paras have in the game, my long term plan is to form them into [I[the[/I] elite units, so in TTL 2008, or whatever year the AAR will end in, the Airborne is always the first to be called, it will be the Empires rapid reaction force, deployable anywhere on the globe within 48 hours, no dumb jarheads doing that job in my timeline! After the war the transport Aircraft of the paras will be taken from the RAF and given to Army Aviation, as a part of the British Army Military Transportation Command or BAMTAC. ( final name pending ) The SOE is like OTL, only that it will not be disbanded after the war, it will act as the British SOCOM, combining the efforts of the Special units of all the services, including SAS. I also say now that in the course of the game I have already personally awarded three Victoria Crosses, or two heroes are not among those honoured in that way. (yet :D )