• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The next update is coming up soon, very soon, as the suspense is killing me too.

I am kind of a late comer to this AAR :eek:o , but I will be watching it from now on. Can't wait for another Update. :D

humancalculator said:
I am kind of a late comer to this AAR :eek:o , but I will be watching it from now on. Can't wait for another Update. :D

Glad to have you aboard.

That's torn it. Update as soon as I have written it. Tonight.

trekaddict said:
That's torn it. Update as soon as I have written it. Tonight.
YAY! :D

I just thought of something.
With all of this rapprochement with the British, I dont know why you haven't thought of talking about the Québécois' perspective about that and the threatening Rednecks.
Also, if somehow Quebec becomes independent, you better retake it or i stop reading this :mad:

Dunno when I'll get around to go to Canada again, but for now Quebec is quite content as a part of Canada.

Griffin.Gen said:
Hurray!
I wish i lived in this timeline :(

Wanna know the truth? So do I. A British Superpower... all that stuff that you won't see for a loooooong time ( :p )....

Chapter 50

Corporal2C_East_Surrey_Regiment_194.jpg

Ian Fleming had fallen asleep in his seat, only to be awakened by the unmistakeable chatter of a Vickers heavy machine gun. Luckily for him, although he did not know at this time, the charges meant to blow his lorry to smithereens had failed due to a faulty connector in the exploder. He would learn only much later that the screw-up of an unknown worker at Siemens had saved his life. For the moment he was busy screaming for everyone to get off the lorries. He jumped of the flat bed and rolled into cover under the wreckage of the truck, trying to get an overview. It was a hellish situation. In the back, the Vickers still held down the survivors of the second lorry, and much to his relief he could see Felix, bleeding from his arm, directing the fire at the positions of what had to be the Germans. All around him the British soldiers were exchanging fire with their opponents, both sides hampered by the brightly burning second truck. Suddenly the Vickers ceased fire, and Felix promptly used this opportunity to chuck a grenade in it's general direction. Much to Fleming's satisfaction the screams of the gunners could be heard, even over the cacophony of the battle all around them. Ian robbed to Felix' position and asked, yelling to be heard over the noise: “How we doing?” Felix fired leaned around the tree he used as cover and fired a short burst from the Thompson he had gotten from somewhere before answering. “Dunno, but from my truck at least two dead, almost all of the rest are wounded. From yours?” Ian mimicked Felix' earlier move with his Webley. “As far as I could see most made it out except for the driver. The poor bastard was probably the first one hit. Who the bloody hell are these guys? That machine gun was a bloody Vickers!” He leaned back behind the tree and reloaded his gun while al around them two bodies of Soldiers, both dressed in full combat gear of the British Army exchanged fire. “By the way, Ian, you are wounded.” Only then did Ian realize that he was bleeding heavily from a wound on his forehead, but luckily it was not as bad as it looked. “What should we do now?” “The best thing would probably be to kill those bloody Jerries and then go to the mansion post haste. How many grenades do you have left, Felix?” Felix quickly counted the grenades he had in his pockets and those of the men fighting around them. “About 13.” “Listen, here is what we are going to do....” A few seconds and hushed orders later the Germans were forced to take cover after the British showered them with hand grenades. When the storm of explosions had ceased the two only survivors looked down the barrels of British Machine pistols. No further resistance was offered.

Meanwhile at the Mansion Skorzeny could hear the gunfire from the Ambush, cursing his bad luck. Now he had no choice but to go in now, ahead of the plan. He signalled to the others and fired a rifle grenade from his Enfield, before throwing it away, drawing his heavy Revolver. The grenade was the signal for the others, and the sniper started to take pot shots at the windows, in order to keep potential defenders down, while Skorzeny and the three others stormed into the house. They kicked down the door, but were greeted by bullets from several smaller weapons that killed one of the Germans outright. Skorzeny threw a grenade at them, and after the explosion no further resistance was offered. They quickly started to search through the rooms unsure of where exactly the duke was. But at least they could be sure he was inside, as they had seen him go inside a few minutes ago and the only entrance was covered. Then, in the room the farthest back, at the south-west corner of the mansion they encountered a blocked door, locked and obviously barricaded from the other side. When Otto stepped in front to examine it, bent down to avoid any injuries, a few bullets flew through the door, showering his back with splinters, and the bang, increased by the confined space, temporarily deafened him. This was proof enough for him, the duke was inside. He quickly sent his remaining men back into the staircase, and quickly blew the door open, using his last hand grenade. The others rushed to his side, and together they fired their weapons blindly through the smoke into the room. When said smoke had cleared they ran into the room, only to see it full of shattered bodies and furniture. They searched the room and could see the Duke of Windsor lie behind the remnants of a bed. Thee rounds had caught him in the chest, he was unmistakably dead. Beside him lay his wife, killed by a clean bullet in the head. This was unfortunate, as they had planned to keep her alive, to give testimony that it had been British attacking the mansion. Now however she could not, and the body of the man killed at the entrance would have to suffice. What they could not see was that one of the guards was still alive. What they could not see was that he raised his Mauser C96. All they noticed was a loud bang as the dying guard fired a burst at the men standing over the dead body of the man he had sworn to defend.

At around the time Skorzeny blew open the door Ian and Felix had reorganized their squad to a degree that allowed them to take the first lorry, still in driving condition and continue on to the mansion. The tied up the prisoners and so the remaining British and their captives, by now identified as Germans, thanks to the inherit persuasive powers .45 calibre barrels seemed to have. When they approached the entrance to the property they halted the truck. Leaving one of the wounded behind to guard the Germans the remainder of the small British force and the two officers, their wounds covered by makeshift bandages, as they cautiously approached the house. Everything was quiet. Unknown to them the two Snipers had long-since turned tail and left the area after they had witnessed Skorzeny going down. The first thing the British found was a body, riddled by small-arms fire and dressed in an Army uniform, wearing the shoulder patch of a light Infantry regiment that, as they would find out later, had been deactivated ten years ago. The carnage inside the mansion was unbelievable. Bullet holes, scarred walls everywhere. It was all too clear now that they were too late, here they were, four minutes late. After a while they found the room where the Duke and his entourage had made their last stand. They could see a dead guard clutching his pistol tightly, and three more 'British' soldiers lying dead in a corner of the room, the Duke of Windsor and his wife under them. Fleming holstered his revolver and let out a loud stream of unprintables before ordering: “Get this bloody mess cleared up sharpish. I don't want the frogs to see any more than they have to when they show up here.” Suddenly a groan could be heard from one of the Germans, a man wearing an officers uniform and the insignia of a Major. “Get that jerry there some medical treatment. I want to get out of here as soon as possible.” The next few hours were a blur for Ian. Between the French Army arriving, getting the third degree from some arrogant French Colonel, de-something, definitely something with a G, talking with an official from the next British consulate and clearing up the whole mess the first thing he could clearly remember was when he was sitting in the plane again, returning to London together with Leiter to brief the Admiral and the PM on what had happened. Someone else would clear up the mess they had left behind. One thing was clear though. The German plan to blame it on the British had failed, the prisoners, one of them some Otto Skorzeny were already on their way to Britain with them, bound, gagged and under guard in the back of the plane.

They were all wounded, and Ian was glad that Felix had made it through. He would have to go and see a doctor as soon as they were back in London, he seemed to be rather weak and had passed out an hour ago, when the plane had just taken off. He had one of the RAF crewmembers keep an eye on him before exhaustion took him over as well. He only woke up when someone pulled his arm. It was the co-pilot. “Sir, we are about to land at Biggin Hill.” He nodded and strapped himself back into his seat, preparing himself for the endless interrogations that would follow, with both MI6, the NID and probably the Foreign Office, not to speak of No.10, where the PM had repeatedly stressed that he wanted to be informed of everything as soon as it happened. He wasn't sure how he was going to explain that a member of the Royal Family had been killed on his watch, and he feared that people might ask for answers he did not have.

[Game effects: It is a genuine coincidence that this happens in Chapter 50. Also I am sorry I didn't have the energy to describe the immediate aftermath in more detail. But to make up for that I announce that the war will start within the next five to seven updates at most. The next one will probably be history book format, to cover the rest of the pre-war period and to make a clear cut with what has happened so far.]

An exciting update that leaves much to be thought over. War is sure to come after the murder of a member of the royal family by German forces. Fleming performed very well and the fact that he could not arrive in time to save the Duke will hopefully not be held against him. After all, he did try to warn them and it's not his fault that the Duke's security team did not heed those warnings.

I am particularly concerned about Felix and Skorzeny. Hopefully Felix's wounds are not too severe. As for Skorzeny, it seems to me that he will end up in front of a firing squad having been captured while fighting in an enemy uniform.

Griffin.Gen Indeed.
ja.gif

Hardraade The relations between the Empire and Germany will basically be cut, but no war (yet ). More on that later.

Felix simply passed out from the exertions and bloodloss. A few days in the hospital should fix that. I did it as a plot device.

Skorzeny, well, I simply like the idea of having him rot away in some prison on the Isle of Man.... :D

Good to hear on Felix. As to Skorzeny, the British showing him the "mercy" of imprisonment rather than the death sentence that it would be their right to impose could be a mistake. Seems to me that Skorzeny could probably find his way out of such a predicament.

Hardraade said:
Good to hear on Felix. As to Skorzeny, the British showing him the "mercy" of imprisonment rather than the death sentence that it would be their right to impose could be a mistake. Seems to me that Skorzeny could probably find his way out of such a predicament.

True that, but he might prove to be valuable in some way. Besides, it would be something different from what everyone else has done with him.

Skorzeny must escape!
He has to die of cancer in Spain in 1975! :D

ColossusCrusher said:
Skorzeny must escape!
He has to die of cancer in Spain in 1975! :D
You could imprison him in Gibraltar and get almost the same effect, especially if you force him to smoke repeatedly.

Anyway, excellent update sir, perhaps a tactical failure as the Duke is dead but certainly a strategic success as everyone knows it was the Germans that did it. Besides any AAR needs a bit of success and failure to keep balance and a sense of reality, things I heartily approve of. :)

The regimental batches... such an odd mistake... The whole operation seems quite good... til it started... well, even Skorzeny and Canaris may be wrong from time to time.

Kurt_Steiner said:
The regimental batches... such an odd mistake... The whole operation seems quite good... til it started... well, even Skorzeny and Canaris may be wrong from time to time.

Well, in Germany the Abwehr has the reputation of being notoriously ineffective, and such a slip-up seems realistic to me. The idea behind that batch is based on an old and incredibly bad warfilm I saw a few years back, one that used Me-109 models to play the planes for both sides, where the Abwehr had a group of agents donn the uniforms of a light Infantry Regiment that was destroyed while doing rear-guard duty in Dunkerque, and infilitrate Britain through the chaos of operation Dynamo.

What Canaris and Skorzeny didn't expect was that the British might get wind of it earlier on and that if they did, that they would have the balls so to speak to act fast and completely ignore the political complications.

trekaddict said:
The idea behind that batch is based on an old and incredibly bad warfilm I saw a few years back, one that used Me-109 models to play the planes for both sides...
I don't suppose you remember that name of that film do you? I have a masochistic interest in bad war films.