• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Eams said:
Clearly it's a plan to make the city's population primarily British before the treaty with China comes to an end.
The small island problem can be fixed by removing the passages between islands, but I guess that you don't want to restart your game again ;)

Ah, no, thanks but no thanks ! :D I keep adding a few modifications here and there to the scenario, but no restart !

The UK/US divisions seem happy to stay where they are - never an offensive, never a strategy except sending housing prices through the roof. It's as if we were not exactly fighting the same war ! So I hope the French AI won't decide to send the whole French Army to Martinique or French Somaliland ! But if it does...blames it on that grumpy ol'coot Gamelin.

I'm having serious trouble with making the rethorics in the next update sound like I want them to. So far everything is too cheesy, so the next update might not coem today as I planned.

Something else just occured to me. Would an extremely pressed Nationalist China agree to permanently sell Hong Kong to the British for a hefty sum and some military aid? To explain I know that the situation for them is extremely bad and gets worse by the day.

trekaddict said:
Something else just occured to me. Would an extremely pressed Nationalist China agree to permanently sell Hong Kong to the British for a hefty sum and some military aid? To explain I know that the situation for them is extremely bad and gets worse by the day.

Sell might be tough for them to swallow... Renegotiating Hong Kong to an indefinite lease on the other hand is quite likely.

KiMaSa said:
Sell might be tough for them to swallow... Renegotiating Hong Kong to an indefinite lease on the other hand is quite likely.

The thing is that the Nationalist Chinese are a few months from total defeat, so the just might be desperate enough, but for now I'm going with indefinite lease.

Also how would "Land of Hope and Glory" work as the unofficial Anthem of the Empire? It won't have an official one, as all the home nations compete seperately at international sporting events. And NO "Its not politically correct" is not a valid argument. This is the 1930s after all. :D

"No bananas today" would work much, much better :p

Eams said:
"No bananas today" would work much, much better :p

But it is not British enough I'm afraid.

Update in two hours or so.

Better late than never, but count me in :D

Chapter 34

bcce3fa9.jpg

Sunrise on December 1st, photographed off the deck of HMS Warspite. The dawn of a new age?​

December 1st, 1938 4:14 AM

HMS Warspite, just aft of the Catapult

The INC leaders had taken a bit time off to digest what had been discussed so far and to coordinate their course of action. Jinnah was all for accepting ever since he heard that a part of the official title of the King would be changed from 'defender of the faith' to 'defender of the faiths'. He had even been talked out of creating a separate Dominion of Pakistan, and that was something Ghandi who was desperate to keep India united was more than glad to hear. Nehru was still undecided. A staunch nationalist he was reluctant to let go of the idea of an unaligned, independent and republican India despite the the advantages of the Empire Plan. Patel was like Ghandi for accepting but still saw several obstacles that needed to be cleared first. What about defence? What about foreign trade? What about education? Still, he and the rest were convinced that some sort of resolution would be achieved, if not tonight then at least during the course of the conference. “So, Friends, what are we going to do? Accept?” Jinnah asked. Nehru answered. “I don't know. Who tells us that this is not simply another form of what we already have? Who can prevent the British from backing out of their promises once the crisis if over? I have read the Empire report, and I have trouble believing some of what is said in it.” “If you look closely then you can see the signs are there.” Ghandi said, and turned back towards the superstructure. “This Battleship for example. I read up on it when I heard that the Prime Minister and the King would arrive on her. The British simply pushed for a new naval treaty because they could not afford to keep their fleet at the level from before the war.” “But Mahatma, what about...” he was interrupted. “The problem my dear Pandit is that we have all been raised to see the British as invincible overlords and now that they themselves say that they can't be that any longer we have naturally trouble believing it. I for my part believe they are sincere. I also believe that India can gain a lot from being part of a global nation like the British Empire would be if we manage to go through with the plan, and we also have a lot to give.” Patel agreed. “Indeed. And if we can make sure that Churchill keeps his word on the economic programs then I will vote for accepting.” Nehru still was not won over. “But why if I may ask do we not get full independence? If they are for self-rule as they say then they must accept that some will want a republic.”

“That is true, but tell me, how big is the chance that an Indian Republic, freshly created and without British support can hold her own against the Japanese or the Soviets? The Empire plan is a plan that benefits both sides. The British get bases, political stability, allies and economic benefits, we get the same, and added to that also the protection and all kinds of support from the rest of the Empire. Imagine, One could travel all over the world without ever leaving the country, and we could build India into an industrial powerhouse second to none except maybe the United Kingdom.” Jinnah replied. Ghandi had his own views on this, but he had to admit that it had its perks when India remained a part of the Imperial economy. Now all he had to do was to convince Nehru. He was the last who could prevent a united INC Front in the matter, and one was needed if they were to convince the hardliners back home. If they could say that all their leaders were behind the plan then it couldn't be all bad, and anyway something needed to be done to end the riots and disturbances. Nehru conceded that he could see some of the advantages of the Empire Plan. “True, if we were part of such a global economy we could bring India into the 20th Century in far less time then on our own.
But we would still be at the mercy of the British, their pawns in fact!” “Not at all. If they hold true to their promises and the Imperial Decree we might one day be true equals, and isn't that what the INC was initially founded for?” Patel said. “And hasn't the Mahatma begun his campaigns for this very reason? It will take decades, but one day we will be equals, and this time we will have the support of the King and the British Government, and that is enough for me to accept this.” Nehru was grudgingly forced to agree. “Very well. I must admit that you convinced me. The only problem I see now is which form of political representation should we adopt?” The question was not easy to decide. The first would ensure that the Imperials would immediately be represented in the higher echelons of Government, but might create tensions with the British about the numbers in Parliament. The second was a more long-term approach as at first the bureaucracy would remain firmly in British hands, but would also later guarantee that all parts of the Empire were equally represented, no matter how large they were. In generally all leaned towards the second scheme, but the population might want the first, simply because not everyone would see the wisdom of a long-term approach to things. People would demand immediate action.

Later back in the Flag Cabin where Churchill had meanwhile ordered food to be brought up the negotiations commenced again with a ferocity that belied the fact that all parties were essentially agreeing already. In the end they agreed that elections for the local Parliament would be held as fast as they could be organized. These elections would be organized entirely by Indians without any help or interference from the British. Another problem was the state of the British viceroy who had de jure administrative control over India. After some discussion an agreement was reached on this as well. “So let me summarize,” Churchill said. “The Viceroy and the British colonial Administration will continue to administer India until the local Parliament and government can assume office which will be in what... two years at maximum. After that the Viceroy will simply be the representative of the Crown in India with no administrative duties.” “Yes, Prime Minister, that would be it.” There was still much to be done in this matter, but the transfers of property and the exact rights of the Viceroy was something that the officials on the lower levels would flesh out. As Churchill had put it: 'we are here to make things easier and not harder.' The intention of this meeting had been to remove the biggest obstacle before the more open discussions could begin and every bit of common sense was clouded by politics like it would have most likely been had these very things been tackled first under the eyes of the world. What the world would now see was a much more united Empire, and the population back at home in the United Kingdom needed to see that after the shocks of the Empire Report. Jinnah however brought up another problem. “What about defence, Prime Minister? The Indian Army to be exact. Will it be integrated into the British Army?” “That is something that our military representative can explain better.” He stood up and knocked at the door of the cabin. “Have Admiral Cunningham join us will you?” he said to the Lieutenant at the door. “While we wait for the Admiral let me tell you now that the Indian Army will remain an independent entity. It has served the crown well in the past and in the future no one shall be able to say that Britain does not take care of those who served her well, and that we have no sense of tradition.*”

[Game Effects: The Indians have chose to accept scheme 2. This will be implemented over the next years with possible delays because of WW2.]

*their sense of tradition is btw one of the main things I like about the Brits. Nobody else has that, certainly not we Germans.

TA, you've been busy over the weekend. 2 updates again! excellent. Interesting premise for the greater level of autonomy for India. I will be interested in seeing how these events are considered in the rest of the British Empire, Particularily those areas like Gibraltar who have small populations yet due to their startegic importance, remain critical parts of the British Empire. Haow are they to be represented in the Imperial Parliament? and with such a small population, how will their voices ever be heard?

Bafflegab said:
TA, you've been busy over the weekend. 2 updates again! excellent. Interesting premise for the greater level of autonomy for India. I will be interested in seeing how these events are considered in the rest of the British Empire, Particularily those areas like Gibraltar who have small populations yet due to their startegic importance, remain critical parts of the British Empire. Haow are they to be represented in the Imperial Parliament? and with such a small population, how will their voices ever be heard?

Gibraltar, the Bermudas, the Falklands and the likes will be constituencies within the United Kingdom which will in turn be one of the Home Nations of the British Empire. They will loose their 'independence' but will be represented that way.

trekaddict said:
Gibraltar, the Bermudas, the Falklands and the likes will be constituencies within the United Kingdom which will in turn be one of the Home Nations of the British Empire. They will loose their 'independence' but will be represented that way.

Will there be some form of collateral benefit to their status? I guess, it just seems to me that everyone else is getting some form of autonomy or hieghtened status, whilst the voices of these other constituencies will actually be decreased by the proposed alterations. (Basically, by giving India etal a greater voice (reduction in the British Isles voice, of which these particular entities are a part.)) Does that not decrease the already miniscule voice of these contstiuents to an even greater degree? Further does anyone give a S**t? (Other than me :D )

If you need an anthem, try Falalalan. :D

Bafflegab It is not a matter of getting more power but rather a matter of distributing what power there is in a fair way. Of course, this will decrease the power of the loca governements in teh UK but the constituencies will remain waht they are, as the MPs elected there go into the Imperial Parliament which will be vastly increased in size as opposed to how Parliament is now.

ColossusCrusher
:rofl:

I just noiticed that you are also a Medieval 2 player. The only games I play atm are Medieval 2 and HOI2.
Still trying to catch up on your AAR (p15). So far I like it, please continue with the good work.

Did no one catch the little spoiler in Chapter 33? :(