• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I fot it from ehm... let's call it an alternative source, but you get the idea. Load it and then advance up to 6:52 and go from there. You need a lot of humour though.
:D

Click me!

Enewald said:
Spitfires and spitfires, isn't there anything else in this aar? :p

Profound Britishness? :D

The video you linked us to got sunk by copyright...:(

Enewald said:
Spitfires and spitfires, isn't there anything else in this aar? :p
What more could anyone want?

Although the profound Britishness is a not insignificant bonus. :D

The next update WILL be set in canada though.

ColossusCrusher said:
The video you linked us to got sunk by copyright...:(

bugger. i dont see why - theres whole episodes of certain shows that survive on there.

Was away all weekend and Monday... But without further ado... (which is some ado all on its own... No?)

Great Updates Trek! I am alos impressed at Dashwood's ability to find issues, but even moreso of his coolness under question from people that greatly outrank him. Great job on his part.

Can't wait for the canadian update. I am ikeen to see how a potentially hostile neighbor has altered the Canadian preaparation for war.

Glad you like it! The Canadian update will be up tomorrow-ish.

Considering that I am playing Scotland....

is that medieval 2? i think possibly the lord mayor may wish to eat his words

BritishImperial said:
is that medieval 2? i think possibly the lord mayor may wish to eat his words

This is indeed medieval 2. While I am waiting for Empires: Total War I am playing this instead. :D

Bloody frogs, constantly attaking the Scottish Holdings on the continent....

i wasnt a huge fan of that game, even though its so admittedly amazing. I actually preffered no.1 for a reason i cant quite work out. My laptop wont even play it. Empires looks bloody amazing but theres no hope ill be able to play that.

just brownnose the pope and everything will be fine.

I got excommunicated five times, and maybe that's the reason half of Europe is at war with me. What I already like about Empires is that it is set in the 15+ Century IIRC, IMHO a much more intersting period than the middle ages.

yeah i agree totally about the time period. Mediaeval's been done. And the sea battles sound bloody amazing.

elbasto's right now i come to think of it. The ai in that game was awful. my friend played to the end, and he was reduced to waiting for 15 (real) minutes in his castle because the enemy wouldnt attack. only seemed to happen later on though. i found it was fine at the beginnig when i played.

i experienced that too, and that's why my armies tend to be cavalry heavy, because charging them and then retreating sometimes coaxes the AI into action.

Still more than 400 posts to go, please comment so that I can give you feedback! :D

you could comment on my aar :p that'd give you more posts.

Chapter 23

November 1st,

RCMP Border post No. 354a, Ontario

“I'm telling you Sergeant, I don't think there is any way in hell that the Rednecks are coming here tonight, Sir.” Corporal Namara said in a low voice as not to disturb the napping Lieutenant at the desk. Namara took another sip from his steaming mug of hot coffee. Sergeant Powell looked out of the window across Lake Huron at the American City of Point Huron. “And why is that, Corporal?” the Sergeant asked, “What should stop them? Us lot?”
Namara gestured towards the American Shore.. The view before them in the rising sun was a rather depressing one. Directly in front they could see the unfinished skeleton of what had once been supposed to be Blue Water Bridge, unfinished after the Communists had refused to continue construction once their Civil War was over. Immediately across they could see Port Huron, abandoned by its population and now a Military City, completely occupied by the APA, like most of northern Michigan. Even now the Mounties could see the American Engineers erecting defensive installations on their side, bunkers, gun emplacements, the lot. On the other side Canadian strategy was wholly defensive. What Army Canada had and what scarce forces the British could spare were deployed far back from the border behind rivers, ravines and so on, prepared to trade space for time, time to raise more troops and bring in more forces from Europe. Namara did not know this. What he knew was that the Rednecks had started a massive building program, and the grapevine within the Royal Canadian Mounted Police had it that they were actually aiming to fortify the worlds longest undefended border. Namara stepped outside and reflected a bit on how life in southern Canada had changed since the Reds had taken over in the former United States. For starters Canda had lost its premier trading partner overnight, which had caused massive economic trouble, in fact loosing his job at the factory in his town had be his primary reason to join the RCMP in the first place. The economy was mostly working again, thanks to the revitalizing of the one in Britain and Western Europe, but now a Communist Scare was gripping the Nation. Namara's old school teacher had called it a “national hysteria” and that the Government was seeing communists in the soup people were eating for lunch. The Army was growing fast, and the RCMP had increased almost tenfold, both fuelled by a steady stream of refugees from south of the Border, as a matter of fact Johnson, the new recruit who had joined the unit a few days ago had been born in New York City.

Canada was at a crossroads, and if he was honest Namara quite liked the new direction it was taking, reorienting itself back to the motherland, away from America. There had been those that had argued for Canada to make her own way, yes, to leave the Empire all together, but that notion had been squashed by the House. If Canada was to survive the ties with the rest of the Empire needed to be strengthened, not weakened, because Canada by herself did not have the resources to hold back a determined American assault. She needed the aid from Europe, but it seemed what little the British could spare would be needed there soon. But luckily the Rednecks were busy with quelling what resistance remained in their own territory, giving Canada precious time to arm and prepare herself, and indeed the RCMP was constructing additional frontier installations at this very moment and RCN light ships were patrolling the Great Lakes, entering in staring contests with their American Counterparts. Rumour also had it that the Americans were massing old siege Artillery from the Great War at strategic locations, with the intent to use them to fire on natural chokepoints where a Canadian Invasion would have to go through. The situation was essentially that both sides weren't trusting each other and had their respective forces on, or in the Canadian Case slightly behind the border, each waiting for the other to make the first move. Namara took another gulp from his cup and noticed to his dismay that it was empty. He went back in for a refill.

Inside the Canadian Foreign Office

“Can we verify this?” “Yes Sir.” The Canadian Foreign Secretary was not sure what he was supposed to think of the message from London. The new man in No. 10 did not waste time, that much was clear. Prime Minister King did not personally know Churchill but the reputation the man had had led him to expect something like this. An 'Imperial Conference' on Bermuda? What on Earth was that for? But if the British Monarch called fur such a conference one went there without much asking. King had the gut feeling that Churchill would drop a big one on the assembled Prime Ministers of the Dominions, but “matters of the gravest importance to the future of the British Empire and the Commonwealth of Nations” could mean many things. “So what are we going to do, Prime Minister?” the Foreign Secretary asked. King. “We do what every loyal subject of the crown does when the monarch calls. We go.” The Foreign Secretary did not know if King was joking or not, but the slight grin the Canadian Prime Minister sported was an indication that he was not completely serious. King wiped the grin off his face and said: “Seriously, signal London that we will come.” “Yes Sir.” With that King left the Foreign Office and returned to his own. There was much to do. The RCA wanted more tanks, the RCAF wanted more planes and the RCN wanted more ships, and everything from the same meagre defence budget that also had to be sued to construct at least rudimentary border defences along certain strategic routes.

On the way back through Ottawa he could see the subtle changes from ten years ago. The Canadians were living in an atmosphere that was best described as a mixture of anxiety over what the Americans would do and resolution about not letting Canada fall, whatever the cost. He was sure that his fellow Canadians would fight, and fight to the very knife if need be. The last fortress of Freedom in North America would be no pushover. That was King's personal mission these days, making Canada ready for a fight that no one wanted but that might not be avoidable. He couldn't really say he had been sorry when Chamberlain had toppled over the Czech situation, in his own regard the man had stuck his head in the sand and hoped the problem would go away on its own. Whatever one might personally think of Churchill, at least the man was willing to fight if necessary, and that alone made him a good Prime Minister in the eyes of a colleague who was at the very forefront of this strange situation, this “Cold War”. Before becoming PM Churchill had described the border between Canada and the former United States as an 'Iron Curtain' and this was quite right. So far it was more an Iron Fence, but the Rednecks had constructed a massive fence all along the border, a couple of thousand miles long. In the areas closer to the population centres they had also started to lay minefields and had reinforced the fence with watchtowers and sometimes genuine concrete fortifications although these were rather seldom. Canadian preparations were rather small in comparison. King had argued a while back that it made more sense to concentrate Canada's limited resources and still recovering economy on enlarging the Army. Canada simply could not afford to defend all of her borders, even with the influx of American refugees and would therefore concentrate the forces that were available along the vital centres where the Industry and the population were. So far the Royal Canadian Army consisted of a mere five Divisions, but training of Canada's first Armoured Brigades already began, and Infantry Divisions were already in the process of activation. He reminded himself that he had to visit the War Office and review the new defence plans, especially now that the British had sent what Units they could spare, and that was unfortunately only a static defence Division, but still better than nothing.

[Game Effects: Nothing. Absolutely nothing, if you don't count that the US AI is actually garrisoning the Canadian Border. The atmosphere in Canada is a bit like it was in the West German Army during the mid to late 1960s. ( according to my dad who served in the Army back then, first with a maintenance Unit and then as a Medic.)]

Last edited: