• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I say C, if only because Dashwood is such a dashing name. :D

The Navy obviously, so C. Although I suspect it will just be the Captain licking his lips over the new list of targets. :D

El Pip said:
The Navy obviously, so C. Although I suspect it will just be the Captain licking his lips over the new list of targets. :D

Ehm... c would be Air Force. :D

In any case: thanks for all the votes so far. Voting will be open until tomorrow evening (CET)

trekaddict said:
Ehm... c would be Air Force. :D

In any case: thanks for all the votes so far. Voting will be open until tomorrow evening (CET)
A. then. Some people are just so picky. :p

I've decided to prematurely close the voting. After a sleepless night the RAF update is almost 60% done. Blame the coffee.

Chapter 20

October 7

RAF Uxbridge 3:12 AM

If it hadn't been pitch black on RAF Uxbridge any observer could have seen two men in the Uniform of the Royal Air Force strolling along the far end of the runway, smoking big cigars. The men were Squadron Leader Canfield and his old friend from flying school the freshly promoted Wing Commander Dashwood. “Say Dashy,” Canfield said, using the hated nickname Dashwood had been stuck with during basic training, “How does it feel to be the Air Force liaison on the procurment comitee?” Dashwood groaned. “Don't get me started mate. I'd rather fly these old kites you have here.” Canfield was only a bit annoyed about this. He loved the Hurricane, but he knew that Dashwood had been working on something several weeks ago that would to quote his own words 'blow him off the fu***ng rocker.' Dashwood never sweared like that, but maybe just returning from a pub crawl to celebrate his promotion had something to do with that. “Well, you've got to earn that new stripe somehow.” Canfield grinned. “Oh shut up.” Dashwood snorted. “It's bad enough that you have managed to lure my son into the same horrid profession we already have.” Canfield picked up the ball and retorted: “Excuse me? It was you who dragged him to Empire Air Day last year!” Now it was Dashwoods turn to frown. “It was his flaming Birthday!” The Friends grinned at each other and just laughed like the adolescents they no longer were, and for a second they were back on the train to basic training where they had first met and promptly proceeded to beat the living daylights out of each other over a game of cards. To this day both claimed that the other one had been cheating, but they had still become friends, keeping in touch with each other.

It had therefore been not much of a surprise when Canfield had called two days ago to drag Dashwood out of his office to celebrate two things, Dashwoods promotion to Wing Commander and Canfield's appointment as Dashwood's successor as CO of 243 Squadron. They turned around and walked back towards the big hangars that were being built. The sight of the monstrous structures sobered the moods of the two men and Canfield asked in a sober tone: “What do you think about that Russian business?” “If you ask me one of two things happens. Either this alliance of theirs breaks up again once they have annoyed each other enough or they go on a small vacation in France.” Dashwood shook his head. “Whatever happens the RAF will be ready, I will make sure of that.” he said. Canfield nodded, knowing that his friend would indeed do all in his power and even more. He then decided to change the mood. Always an outgoing and optimistic man he asked Dashwood: “So, Dashy, what is this new kite you and your boffin friends were working on?” “Sorry mate, but I can't tell you right now, but rest assured it is a beauty and YOU” he poked Canfield in the chest and continued, “will be the first to test it once it is ready. But when or where that I can't tell.” he paused, trying to gather his thoughts before resuming. “I am saying this in an official capacity. The last signal from 11 Group I received as squadron CO was that 243 was to be the first unit to test the new plane, but only a single prototype. Field testing so to speak, series production can't start for a few months at least. It seems that someone at the factory bungled something up, I have not the faintest to be honest, but there will be a delay, so take care of the kite will you?” Canfield said nothing, he only nodded.

Three hours later Dashwood had to leave his Squadron behind, men he had served with for almost two years, except that brief stint at Supermarine. He was picked up by a Whitle, much to the amusement of Canfield who immediately cracked jokes about Dashwood becoming a 'Bomber Baron' and no longer being able to do 'real flying in a real aircraft'. With a goodnatured “Shut up!” thrown towards Canfield Dashwood entered the Whitley. The converted bomber lumbered towards the takeoff and Dashwood immediatelywished himself back into the cockpit of his Hurricane or better yet in Mitchell's Spitfire. The single prototype hadn't flown yet, but Dashwood was absolutely determined to be the first one to take her up. Unfortunately it wouldn't come to 243 Squadron until January at the earliest, he would have loved to test this thing with his best friend at his side. At least he would be near his wife and kid, only an hour on the train, and London itself was not the worst place to spend ones time in.

The Whitley slowly made its way to London and Dashwood took the time to look at the landscape, something he rarely did when he was flying a Hurricane or an old Gladiator. The weather however was typically British: Low clouds and rain. The Whitley still managed to land at RAF Biggin Hill in one piece. There he was already awaited by the rest of the board. The Army and Navy were represented by a Lieutenant-Colonel or a Commander respectively and Whitehall by none other than Lord Beaverbrook, the owner of the Daily Mail and the Daily Express and former Minister of Information during the last months of the great War. It was obvious that Dashwood was supposed to represent the Air Force on this illustrious group. After introductions were exchanged the group leisurely entered the Officers Mess to chat a bit further. Coincidentally their first job of the week would be over at the Bovington Tank Proving grounds where the Army trained its Tank crews. Normally a hopeful Company/Designer would come to the offices of the committee over at Whitehall, but this time the mountain would go to the holy man. As Lord Beaverbrook put it: “Wing Commander, you are lucky that this is your first job with us. It is one of the rare occasions when we get to see the working prototype of an approved design. Now drink your lager my young friend. We have a long flight ahead.” Bovington, or rather Bovington Camp was a small village in Dorsetshire and therefore quite a distance from London. Beaverbrook used his excellent connections to the new boss at No. 10 to secure the use of the Flamingo, one of the official Aircraft that the PM normally used to travel overseas.

At 3:50 PM Dashwood once more felt the discomfort that all pilots ahd when they were sitting in a plane and not at the controls. Like all figher Pilots he trusted only his own flying fully, and this flimsy little machine had barely made it off the ground in the first place or so it seemed. What cheered him up where the other members of the comitee. While Beaverbrook and the Naval Commader seemed fine the Army LTC showed clear signs of airsickness and was indeed the first off the plane upon landing. Dashwood did not grin openly, but it was always nice when one of these arrogant footsloggers was shown his boundaries.

[Game effects: I am currently rushing Armoured Techs. I want the Armoured component of the BEF equipped with lvl III mediums before the war breaks out. Also this update is a two-parter. More this Weekend at the latest.]

Enewald said:
Uh, flying can make you sick. :rolleyes:

Dangerous thing that flyind. :p

So a new model, but how important is it?

I like flying. The tank is not important at all. I mainly use the fact that it is currently under developement for a bit RPG and plot advancement.

A nice character update, I do look forward to what's at the other end, even if it is just a plot point I do like a nice bit of tech. :)

El Pip said:
A nice character update, I do look forward to what's at the other end, even if it is just a plot point I do like a nice bit of tech. :)

With luck you'll see Chieftains prading through Berlin and Moscow one day. :D

Atlantic Friend said:
Wing Commander Dashwood...Now, Dashwood, this rings a bell...Would that be a "Ministry of Space" reference by any chance ?

Yes. I was waiting for someone to catch it. :D

Did you catch the Battle of Britain reference and the quote from that same movie.

trekaddict said:
Yes. I was waiting for someone to catch it. :D

Did you catch the Battle of Britain reference and the quote from that same movie.

Was that the bit about having to earn that extra stripe ? I haven't seen Battle of Britain in a while - the friend who borrowed my DVD hasn't resurfaced yet, the bastard !

I loved the opening issue of Ministry of Space - and the quite ambiguous character of Wing Commander Dashwood. I am therefore extremely pleased to see he's onto something !

Glad I found your AAR ! I should have caught it earlier, but I haven't had much time to read - or write - lately. Let's hope August will be a tad quieter so I can read more, and update in time. :D

The quote is correct and it was said by a character whos coincidentally also named Canfield.

My Dashwood won't fly into space. [spoiler alert below, higlight to read]
his son will be the first man on the moon. SQL John Dashwood on June 20th, 1967. In TTL the Ministry of Space will exist aswell, but use more convetionalr rockets and funding.

ooh love the hidden message. i hadnt realised i was 3 updates behind so i caught up. its still nice n british for the most part, i like. though the world is a bloody scary place (more so than usual)

BritishImperial said:
ooh love the hidden message. i hadnt realised i was 3 updates behind so i caught up. its still nice n british for the most part, i like. though the world is a bloody scary place (more so than usual)

I already know what it is going to look like in the end. :D

Great AAR Trek!

I personally would like to know how my fellow Canadians are staving off the red hordes south of the border...

Also, I was wondering what is happening in the far east? How would Japan react to the Unholy Alliance? Surely they can't be happy the SU will now be able to look eastward with impunity...

Bafflegab said:
Great AAR Trek!

I personally would like to know how my fellow Canadians are staving off the red hordes south of the border...

Also, I was wondering what is happening in the far east? How would Japan react to the Unholy Alliance? Surely they can't be happy the SU will now be able to look eastward with impunity...

I will deal with the Canadian Situation in short time.

The Japanese think, and rightly so that it will be some years before the recently purged Red Army can do much of anything in the east, especially now that they will most likely go west first. And even if they, also correctly, assume that the IJN can prevent any invasion of the Home Island.

[SPOILERS BELOW, Highlight to read]

They also plan to go south first. They think with some reason that the Germans will be thankful if they take care of their enemies posessions in Asia, and will gain mroe time to build up.

Okay, here are some random Photos I found on an old film that I apperantly forgot to get developed. There is some noise on these pics as it is a crappy camera with a relatively old film. I really, really need to buy a digital Camera. Also my scanner software is crap. On the scan preview those white areas on the bottom and side of the shops didn't show.

This is were all the magic happens. My desk. The little bits come from when I unpacked something from Styrofoam.

Just to make sure that no one doubts where I am coming from. :D

Our house, taken from the street. That flag is hanging in front of my little Brothers windwow