• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, only a DD sunk and some kind of undocumented damage on the Hood?

even though Kurt_Steiner has suggested that Hood be equipped with a TARDIS. Mind you, TTL's Doctor Who will be interesting.]

Who needs radar or seaplanes having a TARDIS? :D

Deathsheadx Noted. :D

ColossusCrusher Yes I am. I am such a Whoinite. :eek:o

Sir Humphrey It's the worst war-damage she has suffered so far, and it'll take a couple of months and a trip back to the UK to get her back into shape.

Carlstadt Boy It would be, but Yamato will have a rather interesting fate anyway.

It's chapter 164 btw. Index 2, Book 3.

Kurt_SteinerYes. The Damage on Yamato will have however more repercussions down the line, hence the "destiny" statement. And of course Mr. Pertwee is on the road to 'The Navy Lark' and later on something that looks like a blue Police Box.

Well that could of been worse, though I'm impressed the lumbering Yamato caught up with the Hood's squadron at all, why it's almost as if the naval battle engine in HOI2 has some weird flaws. :D

And what is this 'destiny' line? I even restored to searching for the word and couldn't find it? :confused:

Well that could of been worse, though I'm impressed the lumbering Yamato caught up with the Hood's squadron at all, why it's almost as if the naval battle engine in HOI2 has some weird flaws. :D

And what is this 'destiny' line? I even restored to searching for the word and couldn't find it? :confused:

Hood's Speed: This is why I had Hood travelling at a slow speed at first and the RDF knocked out.

Destiny: I said that a while back in an update.

trekaddict

Great chapter and good to see the old girl survive, although like the others I doubt that she would have hung around that long once she realises what she was facing. As El Pip says it sounds like a game bug - or extreme stupidity by the commanding officer, which doesn't seem to have been the case. Mind you it would depend on what else was with the Yamato as supporting cruisers and destroyers could cause the Hood some problems.

Depending on what actually sunk her the Stewart was probably unlucky as if its supported to be long ranged big gun fire that's a very efficient way to throw away much of you're ammo against a small fast moving obstical.

Not sure, didn't the Hood have some a/c capacity herself or was that lost in the refit? Most of the big ships had at least one amphib for scouting I think. Although with the radar problems meaning the Japs got so close there might not have been time.

Given the amount of damage inflicted Hood was very lucky not to be finished off, especially as she had been slowed. Although there is the famous example in the Philippines I doubt if the Japanese would have at least sent some DD or CL in to finish her off with Long Lances.

However given the damage, it sounds like it will probably take a month or two to reach a fully capable port for repairs, then a long time to patch her up again.

Good to see Jon get a more prominent mention. Never knew he was in the RN in the war, let alone served on the Hood. Could well mean, even if the drastically different world [and especially British] situation, doesn't butterfly the Doctor totally, he ends up with a longer naval career and I lose my favour Doctor:eek: - although I'm not going to be there either as my mum's still a child at this point.;)

Like El Pip I'm intrigued by the destiny remark and can't track it down either. Can you give a location please? Sounds like its possibly going to trigger a very big clash, possibly the last major battle of the big guns?

Steve

Murray was determined to screen the Cruiser and Destroyer Force, and Hood got an early hit that slowed her down. The Japanese CL/DD force was apparently sent somewhere else, dunno where. In the game there are no single DDs, the unit you can build is Destroyer Flotillas, and I roleplay partial damage to a DD flotilla as one or several but not all DDs sunk, Stalwart in this case was sunk by combined fire of a cruiser and DDs, her Wireless taken out a few minutes before she was actually destroyed. Hood lost her Aircraft and Torpedo Capacity during the last refit, which was OTL as far as the basics go since OTL most ships lost their Aircraft from 43 onwards, Radar made them kind of redundant IIRC, that and the RDF problems let the Japanese get close. The reason why the Japanese didn't attempt to finish her off with torpedoes will become apparent in a near future update.

Hood will go to Java (closer than Australia), do emergency repairs there, head to India, do some more there and then go to the UK.

Jon Pertwee will be the Doctor eventually, because I am far too much a Doctor Who fan to not have that show around, and Pertwee is my favourite Classic Doctor too, so rest assure taht he will leave the Fleet after the war and end up working for the BBC.

The remark is from the latter half of Chapter 238.

It was bound to happen, but still.

:(

Notes: SORRY! I couldn't help myself! When I found out that Pertwee had not only been in the Fleet but also served aboard Hood at one time it was pretty much inevitable. However, no Nastines, no Cybermen or little blue boxes in the near future, promised, even though Kurt_Steiner has suggested that Hood be equipped with a TARDIS. Mind you, TTL's Doctor Who will be interesting.

Note that Pertwee was also a great fan of hovercraft (Whomobile in some later Who episodes was his own vehicle) which may open up some other options......

The remark is from the latter half of Chapter 238.

Trekaddict

OK, I remember it now. Mentions a date with destiny for the Hood but no more details so we will have to wonder over it until we see developments. Sounds like some result of the clash, although no major units were sunk, that will have long lasting effects. Intriguing.

Thanks

Steve

Chapter 242

They were running as fast as they could even though they were hungry and tired beyond measure. They had hidden in the wilderness of the Border Exclusion zone inside an abandoned hunting lodge for days, trying to get the schedule of the patrols that passed on the road a mile away worked out while the daughter of the three-headed family was fighting with a bacterial infection that almost killed her.[1] What had worried mother and Father more was that their six year old daughter was among the first of the 'New Americans', people that had never known life under the old United States, she was fully indoctrinated and had been looking forward to joining the Youth Movement of the Party. When her parents had decided to 'Go North' she had protested, he had tried to run away several times only to be stopped by her parents several times and the last time by the infection. She wasn't too fond of her parents in the first place because they were under constant suspicion, her Father had been the Mayor of their hometown and unsuccessful candidate hopeful for Governor of the fine state of Washington, and thus classified as a 'Politician of the Old Order'. This wasn't that bad, the Communists had said numerous times that those that had served the Old Order had a chance to redeem themselves, and they had acted upon it, but the Father still wanted the old system back. He was no great fan of the British, his members of his family had fought and died in 1776 and 1812[2] and his own father had joined the Navy to avoid having to go to France. Now that the Land of the Free was no more it's roles as a safe haven had been taken over just by those British and their former colonies.

What had made them decide to go north was when their sweet little girl had started to make noises about going for a Party Career and when she had begun express her disgust at her parents. That they had been arrested two times on suspicions of seditious activities under the new, wartime 'Preservation Act' was only the tip of the iceberg too. They simply wanted to breath free, and if rumours were true that was what one did in Canada and in the United King... British Empire in spite of the name.

“How is she?” the Father asked as he stepped into the derelict room where his wife had made up a bed for their daughter. His heart rose when he saw is wife smile.
“Once she wakes up we are ready to go.” He didn't reply and instead just walked over to her and hugged is wife tight.

“Dear God..happy enough now, Betty?”

“Yes.” she said and nodded.

“Good. Wake her up then, we have to move yesterday.”

“Are you sure?” Betty asked with concern clearly evident in her voice.

He nodded. “The Reds have patrols out everywhere and we have to move while it's still dark.”

“Oh Luther, I hope we can make it.”

“We have no Choice...we can't go back.”

Betty just nodded.

An hour later the tree Americans were stumbling through the woods that comprised much of northern Washington State and British Columbia, it was an area that the Border Guards still hadn't done more than a patrol road and a few miles of non-barbed wire fence. Crossing over into Canada was in itself not hard, they simply dashed across the road between two motor patrols, cut their way through the fence and crossed into Canada.

bctrees1.jpg

The Canadian Border Guards were still consisting of RCMP patrols even though there was talk of founding a separate Branch of the Federal Police that would take over these duties, working together with the Army. The Carter Family had however picked a spot that was about as far as one could go between official crossings and any given RCMP posts, it would be almost an hour in any direction. Knowing that Vancouver City was at most a day away on foot, Luther decided that it may be better to go there, the closer they got the better the chance to stumble across civilization. They dashed into the woods, gave the last of their remaining food to their daughter and then sat out the rest of the night, knowing that even if they were found by someone they wouldn't be shot for 'desertion of the People'. For the first time in almost a week they all slept at the same time.

When they woke they were not only relatively rested and staring into the high sun, but also looking at an actual horse-mounted patrol of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police which weren't wearing the 'classic' Red Tunic but rather Army-issue Fatigues with an RCMP badge over the left breast pocket.
“Can we help you?” asked the Staff-Sergeant-Major who had already dismounted and approached the group. Their ragged clothes and generally dishevelled appearance made it clear that they were yet another group of refugees from America and one purpose of these patrols was not only to do the impossible and prevent American spies to enter but also to find these small, scattered groups before they starved to death in the wilderness of the Canadian south which happened far more often than anyone liked to admit.
One of the men had a wireless set on his back and thirty minutes later a lorry came rumbling down the road that was a mere forty-something yards farther into the woods. Loaded onboard and given some of the C-Rations the Mounties carried the Family was taken to a location near Vancouver.
The Family was lucky that they had come over at that point, because British Columbia's biggest 'Processing Camp for Displaced Persons' was only two hours away, a few miles outside Vancouver. While they sat in the back of the lorry they were given better food, real food and generally excellent treatment. For Elisa this was a very novel experience. For all the 'Common enemy in the Japanese Aggression', the propaganda painted the Canadians as Imperialists that were busy with repressing Indians, exploiting the working Class and being hard-faced unfriendly people that scratched a living from the cold and frozen north. That the Canadian Policemen could be polite and adored children, what bought the little Elisa over was not the smile of the Mounty in front of her but rather the Chocolate Bar that was one of Canada's largest exports thanks to almost undisturbed shipping lines to South America.[3]

“Say thank you.” her mother said when she saw what the Canadian had done and a meek and timid “Thank you.” could be heard from the Girl. It was a mixture of shyness, fear and genuine dislike that shone on her face, but since she was a little girl for all the indoctrination her attention immediately reverted to the chocolatry goodness in her hand. Her Parents on the other hand were still worried, years of propaganda against the Canadians had left an impression even on them, and it didn't help that they drove past various military bases that trained, amongst other things, the “Royal Canadian Marine Division” made up of volunteers from all parts of the Country. Soldiers marching where nothing new to them, but it still made them feel uneasy.
“Where are you taking us?” Luther asked when the lorry stopped at an intersection to let the British Columbia Volunteer Marine Regiment march past.

“Up to Vancouver, Sir. We have a facility up there, you will be taken care of. We'll be there in...” The Sergeant looked at his watch, “about twenty minutes.”

And with that they entered the outskirts of Vancouver, the biggest City in the Canadian West and the Allies most important base of Operations on the West Coast of North America, not that there was much going on at the moment, the Canadians were still building up and planned to start deploying their remaining Field Forces to the Far East, the last few Units of the Canadian Marines would embark tomorrow in fact. The newest members of the Expatriate American Community didn't know that of course, they were busy staring out of the back of the lorry as it drove northwards through Vancouver. The Camp Facility they were heading for was actually on the outskirts of the city and consisted of brick buildings that had once been the home of the local Boy Scouts before they had moved to another camp farther north some years ago, and now it was the British Columbia processing centre for Displaced Persons. When the lorry moved through the camp the family saw that they weren't alone, there were several dozen people of all ages moving around, but what was the most surprising, aside from a fence around it all and an attendant at the entrance who went to take their names there were no guards or anything.

The family was off-loaded and led into a building where a doctor was giving them a medical check-up, then to another one where they were fed properly for the first time in days.

Betty and Luther were just sitting there and watching their little girl devour a thick soup that was laced with more meat and fat than anyone in their Ration Group had seen in years. The next few days were nothing but a whirl of new and almost totally forgotten things for the family. They were given new clothes, temporary papers (wartime necessity) and most of all, some pocket money and train tickets, since they had expressed a desire to travel to Montreal where a cousin of Betty's was living since the late 1920s.
“Why weren't our papers checked?” was Elisa's first question when they were in the third-class compartments of a troop train that went back east almost empty. She hadn't travelled much since the family had spent the last four years in the village some three dozen miles south of the Border, but even she knew that any voyage that went over a meaningful distance entailed a wholesale nightmare of paperwork and permission slips that needed to be obtained. Here all you needed were a ticket and and proof of Identity in case you went through a restricted military zone. As the train hurtled eastwards Elisa began to realize that not everything that the nice woman at school and at the youth meetings told her was true. The Canadians had not taken her away to re-education, her Parents hadn't been arrested for 'bringing the enlightenment of Democracy and Freedom' to Canada and it didn't look like they were being turned over to the American authorities.

“Daddy, why have we come here?”
That threw Luther into a loop. How was he to explain concepts like Liberty, Democracy and the basic human Freedoms that had once been enshrined in the constitution? How was he to explain everything that he had fought for during and before the Civil War and for what the Allies had gone to war in Europe? When he had been younger he had taken the freedoms of the United States of America for granted only to discover that they were anything but. The UAPR Authorities liked to sprout the usual crap about the Allies fighting for less than honourable causes (which weren't clearly defined ever since the Japanese entry into the war) but it wasn't true. The US had liked to say of itself that it was the land of the Free, and yet the very nation the Thirteen Colonies had broken away from was now the only major power on the globe that was still holding true to these ideals. History did have a certain irony, that much was clear. What would the future bring? Would the dark forces win or would the British win the war, Against all Odds? He sipped on the first Coca Cola he'd had in almost a decade and began to explain...
[Notes: Go Canada! ]

[1] Penecillin is pretty much on schedule, which means that mass production won't begin in earnest until a few months later, and in any case the Yanks wont get any until after the war.
[2] A British victory, considering what else was going on in the world.
[3] Remember, the U-Boats are almost totally defeated in the Eastern Atlantic and are a non-factor in the West Indies, the Western and the Southern Atlantic, the Battle of the Atlantic will be over the moment the Tallboy comes into being, even though the Allies will most likely win it before then

Last edited:
At this pace Canada is going to be most populated than the USA...

What had worried mother and Father more was that their six year old daughter was among the first of the 'New Americans', people that had never known life under the old United States, he was fully indoctrinated
Honestly while indoctrination is bad, the fact their daughter is a 'He' should be more of a worry! :D

El Pip - Nit picking small mistakes for comedy effect since 2005

Nevertheless a very good update. :)

Kurt_Steiner Canada will end up with a significantly larger population.

El Pip I changed my mind about the gender mid-writing. I'll edit it asap.