• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I just want to comment on The Boers.
Historically the Boers were much divided between entering the WW 1 on Britian's side, staying neutral or joining the Germans. Yes, there were in fact factions opting for the Germans. (Considering that they recently lost a war agains England.)
From there the rebelion of 1914.
When WW 2 broke out it was the same story all over again. Men that joined the War were frowned upon and considered traitors by some people.

I can tell you that up to date The Boers, or Afrikaner as we like to call ourselfs, are still not able to stand together (sadly), and they are mostly hotheaded, I can see that in your update (very acurately).

One thing though, the Boers of any era make some of the best soldiers ;)

ShadowWarrior said:
I just want to comment on The Boers.
Historically the Boers were much divided between entering the WW 1 on Britian's side, staying neutral or joining the Germans. Yes, there were in fact factions opting for the Germans. (Considering that they recently lost a war agains England.)
From there the rebelion of 1914.
When WW 2 broke out it was the same story all over again. Men that joined the War were frowned upon and considered traitors by some people.

I can tell you that up to date The Boers, or Afrikaner as we like to call ourselfs, are still not able to stand together (sadly), and they are mostly hotheaded, I can see that in your update (very acurately).

One thing though, the Boers of any era make some of the best soldiers ;)

Don't take this personal, but tbh I've never been a big fan of South Africa, and what you posted there confirms some of that. :(

Enewald said:
SA and germany alliance? :p

No, but SA will leave the Empire and the Allied Powers after the war when Churchill does go through with the remaining reforms despite their protests.

Highlight to read, Spoiler alert.

Enewald said:
SA and germany alliance? :p
As trekkie said, no!
What I wrote really happened in history and was only for interest sake. The chances of an alliance in real life was slim, as the faction who was for it was in the minority.
This is only to highlight that trekkie's AAR dicribe some of the nations caractiristics very nicely.

trekaddict: Me myself sometimes wonder why I'm still a Patriot, I love my country, no matter what happens here or the way some people act. I won't trade my country for anything else (soon).

I CAUGHT UP!!!!

that was a hell of a lot of good reading, interspersed with some over-my-head political stuff that i skim-read :D excellent stuff overall. i am in love with the idea of a united empire working together for the good of all (that sounded very cheesy and naive probably), and so i love this more and more as it goes on. though i cant wait for the war.

BritishImperial said:
I CAUGHT UP!!!!

that was a hell of a lot of good reading, interspersed with some over-my-head political stuff that i skim-read :D excellent stuff overall. i am in love with the idea of a united empire working together for the good of all (that sounded very cheesy and naive probably), and so i love this more and more as it goes on. though i cant wait for the war.

That is high praise, Sir, and thank you for that.

The next update will concern the Middle East, and Palestine in particular. I have an idea how to deal with that, and please bear with me and give that Idea a chance. It will be up within the next 24 h.

I finally got to watch "The Eagle has landed" again, which is btw partially the inspiration for Pinie. Churchill is NOT the target though. That movie is awesome.

Then let's hope that you'll see "the Great Escape" someday and get inspired :)

BTW, since you're living in Germany, did you see a dubbed version or a proper one?

Eams said:
Then let's hope that you'll see "the Great Escape" someday and get inspired :)

BTW, since you're living in Germany, did you see a dubbed version or a proper one?

Proper of course. DVDs are your friend. :D

Atlantic Friend said:
And so are the novels. :)

Novels? There are novels of this? Why has no one told me? Depsite appearances I love to read.

trekaddict said:
Novels? There are novels of this? Why has no one told me? Depsite appearances I love to read.
Jack Higgins, he was big in the seventies and wrote several books about Liam Devlin. Better than techno-thrillers for sure

arghh i've had my fair share of dubbing these last few days. i cant see how non-english speaking people put up with it. one programme i tried to watch even had a man dubbing a woman. i assume trekkie has seen the great escape which is one of the best films ever, though slightly weird in places. i've never seen the eagle has landed.

i forgot we could still guess the target. earlier when i was reading one of the gandhi - themed updates i thought it might be him, from various things you said, though it didnt really make sense, though i came up with a reason why killing him would work in germany's favour. i did have a wild notion earlier as well that they might be trying to kill Mrs Simpson (edward's bird) in order to keep him as king and therefore have a more sympathetic britain. then i remembered that they are over 2 years too late. my puzzlement continues...

Atlantic Friend said:
Lord, forgive him, for he is British.

That is a common misinterpretation as I've been born deep in Boche-country. :D

BritishImperial said:
arghh i've had my fair share of dubbing these last few days. i cant see how non-english speaking people put up with it. one programme i tried to watch even had a man dubbing a woman. i assume trekkie has seen the great escape which is one of the best films ever, though slightly weird in places. i've never seen the eagle has landed.

i forgot we could still guess the target. earlier when i was reading one of the gandhi - themed updates i thought it might be him, from various things you said, though it didnt really make sense, though i came up with a reason why killing him would work in germany's favour. i did have a wild notion earlier as well that they might be trying to kill Mrs Simpson (edward's bird) in order to keep him as king and therefore have a more sympathetic britain. then i remembered that they are over 2 years too late. my puzzlement continues...

Well, keep guessing. :D

Atlantic Friend said:
Mon Dieu ! Try to forgive him harder, it's getting worse by the minute ! ;)

To give you a reference I live about 250 kilometres east from that glorious military invention called the maginot line.