• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Those Brits and their crazy guns...

And the IJN hasn't tried to stop the convoy? Dissapointing, frankly.

Those Brits and their crazy guns...

And the IJN hasn't tried to stop the convoy? Dissapointing, frankly.

I don't think the IJN was near enough, or that it even knew there was a convoy, seeing as all their island lookouts have been cleared by the Allies.

Agent Larkin Drat! You guessed my plans! :D

No honestly, when I had George VI die, this particular thing went right up there on the list of things to do for the Queen once she is crowned in '44. For the Powers That Be it's quite obvious that Singapore holding out tied down enough Japanese assets for Burma to be defended properly and the rest of the DEI to hold on.

Kurt_Steiner Well, someone else on another site asked me about the fate of a certain comedy trio when he read that I was having that certain Lance Bombardier on Singapore instead of North Africa.

ViperhawkZ What you said.

Agent Larkin Drat! You guessed my plans! :D

No honestly, when I had George VI die, this particular thing went right up there on the list of things to do for the Queen once she is crowned in '44. For the Powers That Be it's quite obvious that Singapore holding out tied down enough Japanese assets for Burma to be defended properly and the rest of the DEI to hold on.

Kurt_Steiner Well, someone else on another site asked me about the fate of a certain comedy trio when he read that I was having that certain Lance Bombardier on Singapore instead of North Africa.

ViperhawkZ What you said.

Hmmmmm.......was hoping the safe arrival of the convoy was a retrosepective lead in to a huge battle between the covering forces

The battle were Yamato was sunk was actually supposed to be what you desired at one point, but then the itch to actually write it grew too great.... Sorry.

Royal Canadian Marines? Oh hell yes. I'm quite looking forward the ass kicking that will ensue from that.

Keep up the good work, trek.

The Royal Canadian Corps of Marines will see a lot of action before this war is over, together with their British counterparts who bound for the Pacific.

First the East Indies, then Taiwan, then the Home Isles! Nothing can stop the RCMC!

(I hope)

It's the RCCM, i.e. Royal Canadian Corps of Marines, but other than that I like those ideas! :D

When I write I can always see the scenes play in front of my inner eye, that really helps. That particular scene was inspired by the ending of Guns of Navarone actually.

I can't confirm or deny any of this of course, but suffice it to say the Division will collect a fair few Battle honours and the upcoming campaign in Malaya isn't the only one, far from it.

Note: For the second half of this update it is recommended that you find a video with the Star Trek VI soundtrack, “Clear all moorings” and play it in the back. Also, this is the last update set in 1942. Say goodbye to the year of the fall of Rome, the last siege of Vienna, the year where half the Axis changed sides. 1943...now that will be interesting. In the Chinese sense.

Chapter 308

It was mid December but the weather in the small anchorage where the Kobayashi Maru lay and awaited some last arrivals was not showing the time of year in this part of the world. The ship itself was sheltered by the camouflage nets and the brushery draped over it.

The latest arrival to join the crew was already causing trouble and irritation among the Officers even though he had not yet arrived.

“Bloody hell Ian, he's a Nip!” Felix yelled. The two were sitting in Ian's cabin that luckily seemed to be at least partially soundproofed as the Marine contingent had yet to break down the door.

“That's painfully obvious, mate.” Ian replied. “I didn't request him, but the Admiral saddled us with him, and frankly I can sort of see the point. I mean look at his service record!”

“I know I know.” Felix said and quoted from memory: “George Takahashi, son of a diplomat's Daughter serving with the Embassy in Tokyo in the twenties, father emigrated from Japan to the United Kingdom when it was suggested by him by certain shade characters in Tokyo that it wasn't proper for a Japanese man to have relations with a foreigner, anglicized name and went through Dartmouth with flying colours and as the third of his class and has been serving on various East Asian appointments, mostly as an interpreter but still has at least some sea duty.”

Felix sighed. “He's still a Japanese by birth and I say we can't trust him!”

“Well, luckily I can and will pull rank.”

“That's your prerogative as CO of this whole bloody mess of course.” Felix said with not much conviction.

“I don't like it, you don't like it and a fiver says no one in the crew likes it either but we are following orders.”

Felix sighed again. “I'll do my best of course. If not for him then for Queen, Country and Service.”

Ian hesitated for a moment, then said: “Well, that's all I can ask for to be honest. Could you do me a favour, Felix? Get the rest of the staff in here.”

The object of the disagreement was very well aware of what awaited him. The Glass ceiling was very much present in the Royal Navy and it had only gotten worse since the damn Militarists had plunged Japan into an this unwinnable war.

Judging by the looks he was getting as he walked through the camp it was only his uniform and status as an Officer that kept him from being knocked over the head. To a certain degree he could not blame them, there was a war on but there was more than hatred for an enemy one was at war with in it, he could feel it.

The Marine at the gangway was thankfully of the sort that would have done the guards in front of Buckingham Palace proud and didn't let his emotions show except for a quick glance at the new arrival's face.

Inside the ship was luckily largely empty, most of the assigned crew and of the Marine contingent were busy loading ammunition and supplies, so it was clear that he and the crew would spend Christmas at sea.

He was happy that he found his way to the CO's Cabin without having to talk to anyone. He knocked.

Inside he found five Officers staring back at him. The cabin was small and incredibly cramped with six people in it but at least Takahashi had the time to study them all without being too obvious about it.

The oldest of the three Naval Officers was clearly the CO and the next in line his Chief of Staff or the Captain of the ship. Others were a Captain of Marines and another Officer without rank insignia but the cap badge of the Special Boat Service. All of them except the youngest Naval Officers wore enough decorations for at least another half dozen men under normal circumstances and Takahashi saw several DSOs and bars for the same in this room alone.

After introductions were exchanged and the Staff, including what had turned out to be the CO's second in Command, had left the cabin Takahashi knew that the real pep talk was coming now. He had heard it five times since the war out here had started and he steeled himself.

“Your record speaks for itself, Lieutenant Takahashi. You served well and from what we were told before you arrived you have always been a loyal servant of the crown. However. We will most certainly engage Japanese forces in open combat on this assignment and I cannot have you feel suddenly unable to shoot at what may be relatives of yours. Do your duty and pull the trigger if need be and we will have no problems with each other. Do anything less than your duty and trust me, I will personally lock you in the cable tier and throw away the key. That is all.”

The crew of the Kobayashi Maru was at last complete.

~**--**~​

On 20th December 1942 HMS Edgehill was due to set sail, less than a week behind schedule. On the bridge where all the Japanese instrumentation had been replaced or re-labelled over the last few months and now at last the ship was on her way, or about to be. She had been towed out of the anchorage but now, in the dark someone had to get the ship past the buoy and out onto the open sea.

Takahashi had the deck and he was well aware that everyone was watching.

The lines were cast off and now...

“Ahead one third.”

“Ahead one third, aye.”

The shudder of the engines increased slightly and the Edgehill increased speed.

“Buoy marker on the left, Sir.”

“Acknowledged.” Takahashi said and glanced at the blacked out map case. No, he had studied the map closely for several hours. He knew that this was a test.

“Come to heading 031.”

“031, aye.”

Felix leaned against the bulkhead near the hatch that led onto the bridge, watching Takahashi and having to admit to himself that the man seemed to know what he was doing. Felix had studied the map himself and it wasn't the easiest part of real estate to have to pilot a ship as cumbersome as the Edgehill through.

He suddenly turned around as he felt Ian pad him on the shoulder and only watched as his friend stepped through the hatch onto the bridge.

“We passed the outer marker, Sir and are about to set the course specified in our orders.”

“Acknowledged, Mr. Takahashi.”

The plan was that the Edgehill would make a dash past the coastal convoy lines during the early morning hours and move past them deep into the Indian Ocean before making for the Andaman Islands from the west, re-fuelling for the run towards Australia.

“Continue on course and have the Officer of the Deck report me when we change for the Andaman Islands.

“Aye aye, Sir.”

Edgehill was cumbersome and slow and it would at the very least be mid-January before they passed the outer defence perimeter but at the very least they would have the chance get this whole blasted mess to work halfway properly. There was nothing wrong with the basic seamanship so far Ian could observe and anyway, he was taking the fight to the enemy and was at sea again to boot.

Felix was probably the only one who knew how much the war had changed him and how devoted he was to his family, but even so he was a sailor at heart.

Though one who's most prized possession was a picture of his wife and his son.

He would have reflected more on this had he known what 1943 held in store for him, Felix and his command. The war would see triumph and catastrophe for the British Empire and her Allies, it would see proud ships sunk, good men killed and no end to the war.

+-+-+-+-

Comments, questions, rotten tomatoes?

In lieu of anything official, I decided to cobble together some symbols for the UAPR.

Flag:
pgJcp.png

Naval Jack (Option 1):
R3aaq.png

Naval Jack (Option 2):
C7a5m.png

Air Force Roundel:
6P0S4.png

When I cobbled together the hammers, I realized too late that they were misaligned :p

Trekaddict

One problem the Edgehill will face is that of course it that will be entering a major battle zone disguised as a Japanese ship. As such it will hopefully pass unattacked by the Japanese but it would be ironic if it was attacked by empire forces. Given the degree of secrecy that would be involved in the mission I suspect few people in the RN other than those on-board would know about it, let alone the RAF.

To a degree the hostility and mistrust is understandable but it does rather reflect poorly on the crew:(. For a man who's father openly chose Britain over his homeland. Especially Felix himself, who is also an exile from a less than friendly power. Hard not to think race has as much to do with it as national politics.:mad:

Steve

ViperhawkZ I like, Except that they are using white instead of yellow for their insignia to set themselves apart from the Soviets whom they see as traitors to the revolution.

My vote goes for Naval Jack V1.

stevep To that end Edgehill is actually flying the White Ensign at all times until they pass the perimeter. They are also avoiding the shipping lanes where ever possible and try to arrive in Australia during the day and from a direction where a single Japanese freighter is highly unlikely.

re hostility: It is part racial (it being the 1940s after all) and part that the Japanese haven't behaved terribly will in the areas they occupied.

Out of universe explanation is that I felt and feel that I was very close to have the British and my characters turn into Star Trek TNG Characters. As awesome as that show was, this AAR is set on Earth in the 1940s in what is a Nation born out of an old-fashioned Colonial Empire and that still has some ways to go until they are the unified nation present by the year 2000, and not a far-future post-scarcity utopia. My characters are born of their time, they have stupid racial prejudices and other assorted faults and foibles that common to their time and their status as normal human beings. That doesn't mean that some don't see the Sino-Japanese as anything but Nips/Japs/the yellow peril.

Felix dislikes Japanese and Germans, Ian hates the Russians and so on and so on. I hope you understand.

Last edited:
Right, round two.

Flag (Option 1) - Same as before, but in white.
0hUTa.png

Flag (Option 2) - As above, but with a laurel wreath around the hammers. (I think I recall something about a laurel wreath?)
soM6e.png

Naval Jack (Option 1) - Anchor without waves, in white.
43qLA.png

Naval Jack (Option 2) - As above, with laurel wreath.
RJeoD.png

Roundel (Option 1) - Cog is blue, to be more distinct against airplane silver than white.
UDsXt.png

Roundel (Option 2) - As above, with laurel wreath.
5Sa6T.png