• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Succession sure is a trouble in this game. I still struggle in my game.

I am not looking forward to my realm being split four or five ways. It's going to make earlier starts insane past the first few decades. Which...I think I'd prefer really, since it really was that unstable in europe, but not in other areas...

Future for Daughters
Future for Daughters

In January of 1079, Princess Mabel of Sicily came to an age. Robert found a very suitable man for him. Tomasz, a Polabian commoner from Lubsko, wherever that is. Tomasz liked the fine things in life, like fornication and food. Behind his jovial looks and easy-going nature, a truly cunning and intelligent man was hiding. Something Robert really appreciated. A man he could really use...

1600376590302.png

Tomasz managed to look completely harmless

A year later, it was Princess Eria’s time to reach adulthood. She became a scholar. She was also married to a commoner, this time a Czech man named Jarohněv. Also, known for his intelligence, though he did not do so good on martial matters.

1600376748986.png

Eria, all grown up and ready to bear next generation of Hautevilles

January of 1081 brought also some joy and jubilation to Sicily. Bohemond and Eudokia got another child! This time, it was a baby girl, named Griselda. Also, bright and intelligent. It was joyful occasion.

1600376835004.png

Hello there, little one

The alliance between Hungary and Normans had been in place for over a decade. King Salamon of Hungary was instrumental in defeating Matilda and helping the Normans to retain all their lands. Since then though, the relations had deteriorated a bit. Mostly because Salamon had totally lost his marbles, killing his own son. And torturing his own brother to death. And most likely, murdering his sister. David, the youngest of Salamon’s siblings, was still alive and well, though Robert was deeply worried about the safety of his eldest daughter, Emma, married to the lad. The alliance between nations was still alive and well, but Robert swore to ignore all pleas of help from the filicidal King. Thus ended the friendly relationship Normans had with the Kingdom of Hungary.

1600376569942.png

This is one sick King.

Constantine

Meanwhile, in the Island of Sardinia. Zirid Emirate, a nation holding half of Tunis and half of Gabes and some lands in Iberia, managed to invade the island and gain one county. Just across the Papacy, making the city of Rome to be perfectly within a raiding distance. A worrying development for the Pope, though a welcome one to Robert Guiscard, who now has a proper free Casus Belli to enter the island. At the same time, Judike Torchitor, the ruler of the southernmost province of the island, Calgiari, expanded to Africa, taking Annaba. “Copycat,” was Robert’s comment.

1600376620143.png

Robert was no longer the only European ruler invading Africa

Annaba was part of Duchy of Kroumerie. The other province of the Duchy was inland, called Constantine. Currently under control of the Emirate of Zab. Yet another small tribal nation of bedouins, more than happy to raid their neighbors and wage war against all whom they did not like. Robert, eager not to see Cagliari expand further into Africa, decided to take the county. Just in case, as he commented. So, in August 1079, he declared war on High Chief Hassan, claiming Constantine for himself.

1600376654967.png

Let us take Constantine, before anyone else does

The forces of Hassan tried to avoid the Normans and head towards the inner regions of the Normans. Robert heard that and changed direction and caught up with them in Qalama in October 1079. Outnumbering the enemies, having a better commander and more knights- plus also, now the Norman army was not just the levies, but also came with some bowmen and light infantry. Poor enemy forces were slaughtered.

1600376681930.png

An easy victory

At the same time, Count Musaddid of Constantine, the war target, decided to go on a war of his own, rose his levies and was wiped out in November. Normans, having beaten the enemy in Bilizma, stayed there to put the tribe under siege. Looked like victory was at hand.

Just, on 25th December of 1079, Robert got an unexpected and entirely unwelcome Christmas present. Munis of Kairouan, perhaps feeling a bit bitter about the fact that the Normans had taken half of his lands, decided now was time for revenge and joined the war. In February 1080, the Normans received reports of the army of Munis marching to Mahdiya, in Zirid lands, and trying to rent boats from there. Successfully, for in April, they landed in Sicily, marched towards Palermo and put the Sicilian capital under siege.

1600376707342.png

Munis in Palermo

Too little too late though. Robert let them continue their siege, for Constantine was about to fall. Still, it showed that Palermo was perhaps more vulnerable then the Normans would like to admit and the peasants around the province once again felt the joy of Arabs coming to raid and plunder, but it was temporary.

In May 1080, Constantine fell. Normans found the Count and his son, hiding in the broom cupboard. Quickly, they ransomed them back to their family and then took their county from them.

The newly conquered county was assigned to Tomasz, who promptly founded House Constantine, with a cool white lion on black background. And with a peculiar motto “By and sword,” whatever that meant. Still, since the marriage was matrilinear, House Constantine died with his owner. Unfortunately. It was a cool House.

1600376788184.png

Tomasz, looking even more jovial and harmless. Also, granting titles is really not a strong suit for Robert

As for Robert- granting the titles was not his strongest suit. To get over it, he went for yet another visit to the brothels.

Jafara

Duke Roger of Calabria had taken the county of Djerba a few years back. A worthless province, for sure. But since he already got one, Robert thought he might as well expand to the territory of Tripolitania. Especially as Tripolitania herself was a really good county, worth keeping.

In January 1081, Robert declared war on Chieftain Abd-al-Qawi of Jafara. A single tribal holding, with no allies, not much armies and now, without any hope. Robert gathered his armies in Djerba and by the end of February, had defeated less than 1000 strong army of the enemy and was putting the castle in siege.

1600376858396.png

Since Roger got one, Robert wants his own worthless county if Tripolitania as well!

Most important thing of the war- Robert finally learned how to properly use mangonels to crack the castles. Now, there was no need to give the command of the siege to someone else- Robert was the one having all the fun.

1600376900219.png

Understanding how the siege stuff works

In June, the castle fell. Robert took both the Chieftain and his wife during the siege, ransomed the wife back to the chief for all the gold he had (23 out of 50) and then made them both homeless wanderers.

1600376924288.png

Taking the last gold from Abd-al-Qawi

Jarohněv, husband of Matilda, got the newly conquered tribe. No nepotism involved again, none whatsoever!

The future of both Robert’s daughters was more or less secure. Both were happily wed. Both had their own lands, though their husbands controlled that in name. Both had a good chance to become duchesses and if they bore many children to their husbands, the Hauteville line will flourish in the future.

1600376960485.png

Future of Eria secured

And now i'm in the process of granting land of husbands to my matrilineally married daughters.
Kind of risky business, for it depends on their ability to produce a male heir. Or at least a female one. But if it all works out, then the land will be ruled by Hautevilles. And in case you are wondering why the land must be ruled by Hautevilles- county/title holders seem to have a higher chance to children and so do their children. So, in order to let the dynasty grow and reap all the reknown, there must be dozens of Hautevilles running around, ruling everything! It is a shame I can't teach the same behavior to my vassals.

Also, Salamon is really low.

There's still time yet for the succession to go all squiff! :D

Still things do look hopeful for the next generation.

Nah, seeing as Robert and Sichelgaita are old, I think they are more or less out of the baby-making process :D

Good to have the succession more or less finalized to cause as few problems as possible. Don't want your heir to spend half his reign dealing with rebellious brothers.

Yeah, that would be a pain. Fortunately, the primary heir has more power and land then the bothers combined :)

I am not looking forward to my realm being split four or five ways. It's going to make earlier starts insane past the first few decades. Which...I think I'd prefer really, since it really was that unstable in europe, but not in other areas...

You know, both of you- I just discovered something nice in my other game. When I, as a King, grant a duchy of my liking to my secondary of tetriary and so on heir, they will be removed from succession. Meaning, they received their fair share and therefore, could expect no more. I imagine this works the same way as Duke and counties and as Emperor and Kingdoms. This gives me a better control as who will get what and say, when a conquer a new duchy, then granting it to my son will leave the royal demesne untouched upon my death and him happy and all the good stuff. Still have to pay for the Duchy though.

I see matrilinear marriages are your thing. ;)

Well one could not expect to keep Africa entirely for oneself - though I suppose that could be arranged in due course.

Reactions:
Your daughters will (hopefully) be safe and you've got things planned out to have more family as vassals. Some useful wars here.

Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick

Not even a month had passed since the Norman conquest of Jafara, Robert declared yet another war- this time, against the Emirate of Cyrenaica, reaching from Tripolitania, along the African coast, until to well, Duchy of Cyrenaica. Ruled by Emir Djafer ibn Kilab of the House Suleimid. Currently at war with the Fatimid Sultanate- or at least, with Emir of Alexandria. Also, allied with Fezzan, a tribal nation deep inland. The goal- county of Tripolitania. Fezzan was actually the stronger one this time- over 3000 soldiers, while Cyrenaica had around 2000.

1600467473558.png

The enemies this time

This time, Robert Guiscard did not march straight into enemy lands. Quite the opposite, he did not raise his armies at all, but stood around, waiting. For having a capital in the Island of Sicily is a pain and a boon. It is expensive to ship your troops out. But it is also expensive for the enemy to ship their troops in- and that is just what they did. First were the Fezzans.

They marched towards the sea as soon as the war began. In July, Normans noticed them sailing north from Tripolitania- and it was no doubt where their destination is- the Island of Sicily. Few fast, sleek galleys that Robert had sailed ahead, carrying the message. Even better, Thakiya Banu Khattab, the ruler of Fezzan, had decided to split his armies into two. Instead of fighting the whole army, Robert could pick them apart.

Mazara was the first location. Around 4500 Normans versus 1700 Fezzans, still in the process of disembarking from their ships. Robert had an advantage and he used it mercilessly. The enemy light infantry countered by Norman bowmen. The enemy levies, unused to the great sea and sea voyages, feeling lost and confused. The Normans, offering cold steel to everyone interested and not interested. The army, led by Thakiya himself, melted like a northern snow under Saharan sun. Normans had won their first total victory.

1600467502533.png

Strike one!

The other Fezzan army, the lesser one, was caught up by the end of September. Normans, still eager from the first victory versus the enemies, suffering from the same problems as the first army. In addition, they were not led by a man of Thakiya’s caliber. That was the end of the second Fezzan army, as the battle of Agrigento turned out to be even swiffer and more brutal than the other.

1600467523954.png

Strike two!

By October, there were no more Fezzan armies. Sicily was clear of any dangers and Robert had put himself in a more favourable position.

The war always comes with a price though. Count Abelard of Camarda got wounded in battle of Mazara. Badly enough that the wound started festering and now, poor Count was feeling really unwell. No way he was going to miss the great adventure into Africa though- as Normans boarded the ships to sail to Tripolitania, Abelard was carried on board with the rest of Normans, promising to get better on the journey and put up a good fight once the Normans arrived.

1600467549564.png

Poor Abelard

By November 1081, the Normans were on the boats and ready to sail to Cyrenaica. Robert thought to bring war to the enemy capital. Having paid 40 gold for the ships. Then, the news arrived- Cyrenaica fleet was spotted near the shores of Sicily. Robert cursed and ordered the fleet to land in Siracusa. Realizing that he had just paid 40 gold for a trip from Agrigento to Siracusa, he cursed more. Much more.

1600467570000.png

Let us turn around, right now!

Still, you have to use what you can. Predictably, the enemy, threatened by Norman presence in Sicily, landed in Palermo. The wise thing to do would have been to turn the ships around and sail somewhere far away from Sicily, but hey, you do not stop an enemy making a mistake.

Instead, Robert hanged around until his troops had recovered from the long and arduous sea voyage from Agrigento to Syracuse, and marched into battle with an enemy whose troops were still recovering.

This one was even better. Besides landing his troops, Emir Djafer had managed to get his coffers into red and the enemy commander, Shujah of Waddan, was not half the man Thakiya was. Normans lost 71 soldiers, while the enemy army was yet again wiped from this Earth, their commander captured (and ransomed for 50 gold), the Island of Sicily secure once again and both the enemies kind of out of armies.

1600467618408.png

And we have a hat-trick! Three wipes!

Using the 50 gold ransom to ship yet another fleet (or as commented by the leader of Genoans, whom the Normans hired ships from- “I’m sorry, but there is a fixed cost for entering the ships. If you decide to move your troops across the Mediterranean or just one province, this is not our problem no more. Your contract becomes null and void once you land. You want to board the ships again, you have to pay up.” So, Robert grumbled and paid up). Now, the Normans were sailing to Tripolitania.

This time, the Normans did reach their destination and put the city under siege. Abelard of Camarda did reach the shores of Africa, but his condition worsened by the day and in June of 1082, he died. An ox of a man, he managed to survive for over half a year, and according to Hauteville family legends (with emphasis on legend), actually managed to kill some defenders. From his sickbed. With a bow. Take it or leave it. His son, Gaufrid, aged 9, took over both the Counties of Camarda and Salerno.

1600467734914.png

Rest well, Abelard. You will be missed.

As for his new marshal- who better than his own son, Bohemond. Robert had been planning to give the position to Bohemond anyway, but did not want to upset poor Abelard, now resting with the angels.

1600467696006.png

New marshal, Bohemond. And the rest of the council.

In June 1082, the city of Tripolitania fell. Robert started his march towards Cyrenaica. March though hostile desert provinces, for he was too cheap to pay for the transport again.

In August, everything changed. Emir Djafer ibn Kilab died. Not just did, but was murdered. And was not just murdered, but was killed by his own son, Hina ibn Djafer. Upon his death, the realm was splintered, with his oldest son, Musa ibn Djafer, inheriting Cyrenaica, Tripolitania and the war with Normans. The murdering son, Hina, got Syrte.

1600467765751.png

Another example of filial love. Patricide at it's finest

The result of the filial love was that Musa, understanding that after half of his realm was gone, there was no fighting with the Normans no more. At least not the successful kind. So, the first thing he did as the new Emir, he signed a peace treaty with the Normans, ceding Tripolitania.

Hina on the other hand sent a strict letter to Robert, complaining that the Normans were now marching and ravaging through his lands and would they kindly fuck off, please, for the Emirate of Syrte is a neutral party in the war between Cyrenaica and Sicily. Robert thought about it, then compiled.

Count Jarohněv of Jafara was now also granted the County of Tripolitania. And Princess Eria, his wife and another murdering sibling, got three times as powerful, for Tripolitania was a proper, civilized county, not some tribal holding. Sometimes, murder does pay.

1600467859937.png

The war ended by murder

Royal Matters

One of Robert's youngest, Yolanda, caught the consumption in December 1081. Just three years old, the poor girl was suffering immensely. Fortunately, Bishop Abelard was not just a man of the cloth, but also quite a good physician, knowing full well what to do without actually hurting the poor child.

1600467590964.png

My poor daughter indeed. She truly looks sick

On the 4th March of 1082, Eudokia died. She was at the age of 33, fully healthy, hopefully ready to bear more children to Bohemond. Then, one evening, after the meal, she felt ill, returned to her quarters and by nightfall, she was dead. In horrible pain. Robert had a nasty suspicion that her daughter, Princess Eria, now Countess of Jafara and future Countess of Tripolitania, had something to do with it. It was also something Robert was not ready to pursue. Having his own daughter pinned as murderer would be a scandal unlike any other, something he did not wish upon the House de Hauteville. Instead, Count Geoffrey, the spymaster, was instructed to do a very not thorough investigation.

1600467650901.png

Just why, Eria, why?

As the heir cannot be without a wife, Robert was forced to remarry Bohemond. The grieving widow, who truly did like his wife, was married to Ansegundis von Adenau, a Franconian minor noble, known for her enticing beauty.

1600467670360.png

New future Queen

Robert the Conquer of House Normandie, the King of England, had abandoned his Norman ways. Instead, he had managed to create a sort of fusion between the Norman and Anglo-Saxon cultures, called not really inspiringly, the English culture. Half of his provinces of England accepted, the Normans on the continent remained Norman and half of the Anglo-Saxonds did accept the change as well. Quite a few, seeing that he had ruled England for dozen of years and half of the time he was fighting the Norwegians.

1600467822957.png

Northern Normans becoming not so Norman no more

Roger Guiscard had taken a different approach. Instead of adopting, he forced the others to adopt. Norman culture was now prevalent in Palermo, Agrigento and Siracusa, with steward Dagobert currently converting Messina.

1600467798507.png

Hautevilles do not adapt. The others do.

While I appreciate the AI doing proper naval invasions nowadays and I kinda like the pressure they put on Sicily, it also has some interesting downsides. Like -30 advantage penalty. While it kind of makes sense, I don't think that is actually gamey if I exploit this- i'm defending my home after all, and anticipating the fact that enemy sends troops over.

Also, i'm with good change of becoming the culture head of Normans soon.

And blasted princess Eria, killing off Eudokia. At least, she bore Bohemond the Younger before she died.

I see matrilinear marriages are your thing. ;)

More useful then the alliances once you get over the early bump. At least, in my opinion- give land to sons-in-law, ensure that the Hauteville line flourishes! Well, everyone

Well one could not expect to keep Africa entirely for oneself - though I suppose that could be arranged in due course.

We shall see how a two-province county will manage to hold on in the future. At least, no more competition. Apart from some Byzantines.

Your daughters will (hopefully) be safe and you've got things planned out to have more family as vassals. Some useful wars here.

It is not the daughters you should be worried about, but the son-in-laws. Who also get used as knights in the army. :D
Here's to hoping the daughters breeding fast enough. :p

And so the dynasty grows. Hopefully your reach will also grow with time.

Well, i'm already out of Italy and well into Africa. And the succession laws force me to either expand on splinter. I prefer expansion :D

That's it. Be resolutely Norman to the end! :D

There is a "line them up and beat them down" aspect to the invasions to some extent - but no, not gamey.

Man, I feel bad for Musa here. He inherits a doomed war because his own brother killed their father. That's a rough week.

As for the naval invasion topic: it makes sense logically to defend territory you know the enemy will be landing in, so it's not gamey to me.

The Battle that was Not to Be

Once, the Zirid Grand Emirate reached from Gibraltar and beyond to Tripolitania. Years had not been kind to them, and internal strife, hostile conquests and the Fatimids did their best- now, the Zirids were reduced to some of the lands in their core territories. A sad fate, all too common these days, where Kingdoms rose and fell within generations.

Lately, they have been showing some muscle again. Amir al Umara Tamim ibn Al-Muizz had managed to unite the Zirids of Iberia and Africa under his single rule. In addition, he also made an invasion to Sardinia, grabbing the county of Gallura. Still, nothing compared to their former glory.

Robert Guiscard had been ignoring them. Mostly because they were allied with the Almoravid Emirate, the biggest Muslim nation in the area. Nothing Robert wanted to deal with. Yet.

Unfortunately for the Zirids, Tamim ibn Al-Muizz got wounded in the battle last year and died of internal injuries. A sad fat, all too common these days as well. His son, Yahya ibn Tanim, took over as the Amir al Umara. He did not inherit his father’s alliance with the Almoravids, making him suddenly into a much more interesting target.

1600555027715.png

Yahya and his father, the late Amar al-Umara

In September 1082, Robert Guisrard declared war on the Zirid Emirate. You’d think the target is either Mahdiya or Sfax, situated near the Norman lands. You’d be wrong. Robert Guiscard had been eyeing the island of Sardinia for a long time now and this was a perfect opportunity to expand Norman influence over the other big island nearby. Target was Gallura in Sardinia.

1600555066400.png

Let the games begin!

The main attack would not be in Sardinia though. Robert decided to hit the heartlands of Zirids- their capital, Mahdiya. There, in the camp, where the troops were still gathering, news hit that Emma, sister of Robert (and mother of Count Geoffrey) had died at the age of 65. Robert, at the current age of 67, felt the gripping had of death. In short, he mourned his sister in the company of naked ladies. To each their own...

1600555089675.png

What better way to mourn the loss of your sister then wenches?

In November, the Norman forces caught the enemy outside their capital in Mahdiya. The Normans, outnumbering the enemy more than 2-1, did a good job, forcing the enemy to retreat and hit the boats. Then, it was time for yet another siege.

1600555127713.png

The battle was a success. Naturally.

One of the enemy knights was truly good at his job. Abu-Bakr, a commoner from Somali, fought like a lion, getting the attention of Duke Robert. Also, getting conveniently smacked on his head, so he passed out and was captured later. Robert, seeing his bravery, offered him a choice- convert to Christianity and become one of the select Knights of Robert himself, or be hanged. Abu-Bakr decided that the Christian God is not so bad after all and converted on the spot.

1600555452938.png

Hello, the new Christian Knight!

Munis of Kairouan smelled blood. After all, when you see your fellow Ash’ari being attacked by your common enemy, the one who had taken the better part of your lands, what do you do? Naturally, you declare war against your fellow Ash’ari. After all, he already had the County of Gabes. Why not complete the collection and take Sfax as well?

For Yahya ibn Tanim, whose troops fled by the sea, it meant that their retreat through Gabes did not go as planned. Instead of quickly disembarking and then marching to the North in hope to defeat the Normans, he now met an enemy in the battle- unprepared, of course. Though the numbers were almost the same, the recent landing meant that the Battle of Gabes would only go one way. Not in favor of Yahya.

1600555174065.png

Munis attacking the enemy

In January 1083, Mahdiya fell to Norman troops. Among the bigger prizes was Prince Tegama ibn Yahya, less than a year old baby, who happened to be the only son and heir of Yahya. Normans, not being too cruel, did not throw the baby into the dungeon, but into a nice house with his wet nurse. Was it kindness of their hearts of just pragmatism, for Tegama was a valuable hostage and dungeons were not the most ideal conditions for the baby? In any occasion, the capture of Tegama meant that the war will be much shorter than Robert planned. Preferably without the shipping costs to Sardinia as well. Also, Robert captured the wife of Yahya, Ballara. She was ransomed back. Free gold over motherly love for Normans, that is for sure. Tegama had to settle with just the wet nurse.

1600555210249.png

Hello, greatest catch!

Yahya ibn Tanim was not totally without allies though. It was still the Almoravids, but not a Grand Emir no longer, but Emir. Emir Yusuf ibn Tashfin, house Tadlid. The thing is that the Emirate of Tashfin is the most powerful vassal of the Almoravids. Almost rivalling in the power of the Grand Emir himself. The holdings of Yusuf reach from the Algier in the east to modern-day Morocco in the east. To make matters worse, Yusuf was no stranger to warfare. His military knowledge was actually tad better than Robert Guiscard’s. And his personal skill in battle was amongst the legends. A gallant knight, a reaper on a battlefield and commander that the world had seen little of. An opponent to be feared.

1600554969143.png

Yusuf ibn Tashfin, one of the greatest Muslim generals, a powerful ruler and a knight without peer

Robert had hoped that Yusuf would consider this war to be too distant. Or hoped that the war would be over before Yusuf would have arrived. None of these hopes came true. Yusuf was thrilled, for an opponent such as Robert Guiscard is a challenge. As soon as the war began, he gathered his forces and marched to the rescue. Or rather, sailed. Upon arrival in February 1083, he gazed at the situation. Any hopes of Robert that Yusuf would land in Mahdiya were crushed. Instead, Yusuf quickly assessed the situation and decided that the best course of action would be to attack the undefended underbelly of the Normans. His fleet sailed to Sicily, made a landing in Palermo and put the city under siege. Putting Robert really in a bind. Loss of his capital was not something he wanted to experience.

1600555534693.png

This is not a nice sight

Meanwhile, in March 1083, the remnants of Zirid army, after being beaten up by Normans and then, Kairouan, reached their home again. Now, it was Norman time again. Less than a 1000 men remained- and after the battle of Monastir, none remained. Zirids were defeated.

1600555238874.png

This was actually more than enough. Robert Guiscard was able to convince Yahya ibn Tanim that the war is lost and he has no choice but to admit defeat, nevermind the fact that the Normans never even actually set foot on Sardinia and that in Sicily, Yusuf was besieging Palermo- that wasn’t the most defended fortress of all times, to be fair.

Peace was signed in March 1083 and begrudgingly, Yusuf ibn Tashfin abandoned the siege of Palermo and started shipping his troops back home. Battle between the greatest of Christian and Muslim generals just was not to be. Yet.

1600555486080.png

Peacemaker has its uses

Gallura was given to Richard de Hauteville, a nephew of Robert Guiscard, son of Drogo de Hauteville.

1600554944151.png

Richard, son of Drogo

On other news- Robert Guiscard became the new Culture head of the Norman people in February 1083. Mostly due to the previous culture head, Robert of England, had decided to be fascinated in English matters instead. Robert of Sicily decided that the Bailiffs are fascinating enough and kept them.

1600555569669.png

Bailiffs. Fascinating enough.

I really wondered how the battle between Robert Guiscard and Yusuf would turn out. Normans had more soldiers, the enemy has a slightly better general. Close victory for the Normans, perhaps? But the opportunity to end the war without paying for trip to Sicily. And without risking the castle of Palermo falling- this was too much to pass upon. So, there it is- a battle that almost happened. All thanks to Tegama being captured.

That's it. Be resolutely Norman to the end! :D

There is a "line them up and beat them down" aspect to the invasions to some extent - but no, not gamey.

That is the plan :D
And good, not gamey, will keep on doing that.

Man, I feel bad for Musa here. He inherits a doomed war because his own brother killed their father. That's a rough week.

As for the naval invasion topic: it makes sense logically to defend territory you know the enemy will be landing in, so it's not gamey to me.

At least, it was over in a week and he still had his core lands. But yes, finding yourself in a shitshow because your brother loves patricide... not the best way to start a day :D
And ok, makes sense. Not gamey :)

Not too sure how that fight would have gone, honestly. We'll find out in the future, I'm sure.

Sicily is slowly becoming the dominant force in the region. Excellent!

Why a Guiscard would be fascinated by the idea of extorting money from people is anyone's guess :D

More of Brotherly Love
More of Brotherly Love

To the Pilgrimage! Again!

In July 1083, Robert Guiscard made yet another attempt to show the world how good a Christian he really is. It is time for yet another Pilgrimage. Yet again, to Rome. Because this is the cheapest option, of course. And conveniently located nearby. And having good relations with the Pope does not hurt as well. So, Robert donned his pilgrim’s hat and started walking. Of course, since he was a King of Sicily, he did not walk alone. Lots of pilgrims started their journey, some seemingly carrying weapons and having chainmail under their pilgrims outfits.

1600620100740.png

There you go, invest 90 gold

Fortunately, no standing in the rain this time. Mostly because the rain is rare in the Mezzogiorno summer. Heat can be unbearable though. So can be bandits. Stupid, stupid bandits, thinking this would be yet another pilgrims camp to rob. Instead, they met a wall of steel and military expertise. Imagine, sneaking upon a camp, hoping to find some easy prey, rob them of their valuables and leave them to starve and beg. Instead, upon attacking, a tent opens up, an eldery gentleman in his nightgown jumps out, sword in hand, smiling widely, but his eyes spoke murder. Soon followed by other gentlemen with similar disposition and weaponry. The bandits, around 20 of them, didn’t even get a chance to run. Half of them were dead, half of them wounded. Robert gave quick judgement, and five minutes after the skirmish, the rest of the bandits were promptly hanged. Normans went back to sleep.

1600620126916.png

Now the camp to attack

In September 1083, Robert reached Rome. There, he asked the Pope for some tax refunds. Pope Alexander II, so pleased that Robert took the pilgrimage, answered favourably. As Robert Guiscard himself commented: “Invest 90 gold in pilgrimage, get 255 in return. Plus you get to skewer some bandits on the way. Perfection!” Then, he paused. Thought about it. “Oh, and you get to visit the Christian holy site and reflect upon Christ or something like this as well.”

1600620175256.png

... and gain 255 in return. This is a good deal

Robert used the pilgrimage on another thing as well. Finally having some time for himself, he used the quiet nights to let the scribes read him the “Gallic Wars” by Caesar. Proper Christian literature for one’s pilgrimage, after all. Robert did actually pick up some tips from the grand master.

1600620202059.png

Some light reading during pilgrimage

More of Brotherly Love

From October 1076 to October 1078, for the entire two years, Robert Guiscard fought against Doux Nikolaos of Cephalonia and Epirus who tried to revoke some countries from Count Romanos, his very own brother. Unfortunately for Nikolaos, Romanos was also son-in-law of Robert, having married his eldest daughter, Matilda. Robert saw it as Nikolaos was trying to make his own daughter homeless wanderer and intervened. This resulted in Nikolaos being thoroughly beaten, deposed of his titles and the middle brother, Gregorios, installed as the new Doux.

Unfortunately, Gregorios died of wounds in October 1082. Died heirless. Meaning, Nikolaos got something few of us do- a second chance. He was once again the Doux of Cephalonia and Epirus. And he had learned nothing. For in October 1083, he once again tried to make Countess Matilda a homeless wanderer. Once again, Romanos came crying to Robert Guiscard and once again, the King of Sicily sighed heavily and ordered his troops to be gathered.

The military power of Doux Nikolaos and his allies was just about the same as it was half a decade ago. The same did not apply to Normans, for the muscle Hautevilles could put out had increased about twofold.

It was actually such an overkill that there is nothing much to write about the war. Sure, Normans fought some battles. Outnumbering and out-commanding the enemy by far. Sure, they took some castles in sieges. But overall, the war could be summed up with a simple sentence: Robert Guiscard came and won.

Nikolaos Pailailogos was once again deposed. This time, his son Athanasios, aged 4, took over the Duchy and once again, the lands of Count Romanos were secure. As the Normans left, Robert Guiscard looked deep into the eyes of Romanos and said in a quiet voice: “Finish it, boy!”

1600620238950.png

Doux Nikolaos, wasting his second chance

Hautevilles and Marriage

Yolanda got better! In January 1085, young Yolanda had finally recovered from consumption. Only to get typhus a year later. She recovered within a few months though.

1600620316732.png

From consumption to typhus. Some people don't have all the luck.

It was then the King arranged marriages of his daughters as well. Yolanda got Saltaru. Man with a bit of pale complexion, but quite an intelligent man. Suitable for breeding new fresh young bright Hautevilles. Fresende got Muniu. Not the brightest, but the boy had exceptional prowess.

1600620539669.png

More brilliance coming to Hauteville family

To the more pressing matter though: Bohemond the Younger. Finding a suitable match for the heir of Bohemond, most likely the future King of Sicily, is no laughing matter. It needs careful consideration. So, consider they did.

Abelard was first. “How about Princess Emilia, fifth child of King Kresemir the Great of Croatia? House Trpimirovic is quite powerful and also nearby. The alliance between us between them would be beneficial to all of us...”

There was agreeable nodding all around the table.

Then, it was Robert of Lanciano. “Princess Mautild of England. Four years old, but we could get the houses of Normandie and Hauteville joined. Northern Normans and Southern Normans, united...” he sounded dreamy.

Roger said with a cold voice: “Last I checked, they were Normans no more. Plus, too distant for the alliance to be of any practical value. Next!”

Robert sighed, looking a bit disappointed, but he understood what Roger meant.

Geoffrey of Bar was next. “How about Infanta Sanca of Galicia. House Jimena is no small catch- and even better, she is the current heir of King Garcia Fernandez, so there is a good chance that the sons of this union will rule over both Galicia and Sicily.”

There was again agreeable nodding. Then, it was Robert of Lanciano who opened his mouth. “Queen Emma of Galicia is just 30 years old. And King Garcia is known for his familial duties, meaning also bedding the queen frequently. Our reports say that the likelihood of a male heir coming sooner or later is inevitable.”

“And besides the lure of the throne, Galicia has nothing much to offer us.” Roger ageed. “Next!”

Dragomir, the steward, beamed. “I have the best of all- Princess Eunike of the Byzantine Empire. Nothing like marrying your grandson to the daughter of Basileos himself! Just think of the prestige!”

He was silenced by the cold looks of the Normans. Being a Croatian, former capture of war and all that, he did not understand.

“No,” said Robert. “Not the Byzantines. Never!”

And that was that.

“Bohemond, you have been silent?” said Robert to his son and marshal. “Don’t you have any preference?”

“Hmm,” said Bohemond. “How about Mernissa?”

“Mernissa of what? What House?”

“Mernissa of nowhere,” said Bohemond. “Just a girl I met when I visited Count Serlo of Medjerda.”

Rest of the council was shocked. “A commoner?”

“As was my dear Eudokia,” Bohemond reminded them. Robert nodded in agreement.

“The child was exceptionally strong,” continued Bohemond. “Like an ox. And I talked with her. She was smart too. Something that would strengthen the line of Hautevilles for sure...”

“Just,” he continued. “She is born out of wedlock as well. “Her father is Youkhanna, the steward of Serlo. And her mother is Adilah, a simple nobody in the court of Serlo. It is a well-known secret there that these two fornicate- and Mernissa is a result of that.”

“Hmm, what else?” asked Robert

“Well, she also is a Muslim,” Bohemond added.

“So, a child born out of wedlock, whose parents are known fornicators, but known for nothing else?” said Robert. “To marry the future King of Sicily?”

Bohemond just nodded.

“And yet, she is exceptional?” Robert asked

Bohemond nodded once again.

“Ok,” said Robert. “I always thought that merit wins over whom your parents are, but putting a bastard Muslim on the throne... interesting. Mernissa it is!”

Thus, Bohemond the Younger was betrothed to Mernissa, a girl with no lineage, no prospects and even no clear parents. The world was in shock.

1600620281122.png

Bohemond the Younger and Mernissa the Wild Oat

Finally, Gaitelgrima, the soon-to-be-of-age daughter of Robert, was betrothed to Svetozar. A commoner from Russia, who forgot his spine, but who again was smart and bright. Robert kept the meritocracy thing going.

1600620648315.png

Yet another commoner

Also, during the time, Robert got even better at warfare. Now, he was a strategist, known for his cunning of finding new devious ways to slaughter the enemy on the battlefield.

1600620401039.png

Robert, even better at kicking butt at large scale

Even More of Brotherly Love

The following years, apart from the matrimonial issues, were quiet. Robert helped some of his vassals with their pesky peasant revolts, but beside that, nothing much happened.

Until in February 1088, yet another message from Count Romanos arrived. This time, the Count was asking for Robert’s help against Doux Athanasios, age 7. But now, it was the Count who was the aggressor and went on to press his claim of Epirus. “Good,” commented Robert as the Norman forces gathered once again.

1600620709644.png

Here we go again

The highlight of the war was when Robert and over 5000 of his merry men caught up with the enemy besieging Metzovo, led by good old Perctarit of the Longbeards. Normans, taking full advantage of the mountainous nature of the province, surrounded the enemy and picked the Longbeards off.

“See, I told you to pick better contracts,” said Robert to Perctarit after the battle. The mercenary just shrugged and said “Paid in advance. More gold for me.”

1600620735281.png

Hello Longbeard my old friend

The other notable event was the Battle of Gardiki, in September 1088. Not because the battle had been special. No, it was around 500 enemy against a force 10 times their size. It ended as predicted. Just this time, Robert Hauteville got Nikolaos Palailogos as prisoner. The main reason why he had to cross the Adriatic for the third time.

Robert thought of torture or perhaps an execution. Just to show them who is the boss. Instead, he beckoned Nikolaos to him and simply said: “Few people will get to know what they are truly worth. You do. 25 gold, paid fully by your son. Now, start walking and if you ever cause trouble again, I will not be as lenient.”

1600620781809.png

Perhaps I should have killed the chicken...

War was over in November 1088 and now, Count Romanos had changed into Doux Romanos II of Epirus. Incidentally, also meaning that Matilda was a countess no more, but Duchess. Robert once again left the Byzantine lands, but before, he said to Romanos: “Boy. Remember who made you the Doux. Remember this the next time you think of getting a lover or going whoring”.

Romanos just flinched and nodded.

1600620815967.png

From a simple Count to powerful Doux

Neither of the wars had something to write about. Meaning, the Normans have gotten strong enough to steamroll over at least some of the smaller opposition.

And also, Mernissa is quite a find. A commoner, born out of wedlock, but strong as Pippi Longstocking. The perfect Queen for Hautevilles! :D

Not too sure how that fight would have gone, honestly. We'll find out in the future, I'm sure.

By pure numbers game, I would have most likely won. And also, I could crank Siechelgaita to focus on martial and therefore be a bit better commender- though that would push me over my demesme limit. But yes, i'm sure we will meet again sometime.

Sicily is slowly becoming the dominant force in the region. Excellent!

Yes, nothing can stop me! Apart from Byzantines, the Pope and the Holy Roman Empire, but details-details! :p

Why a Guiscard would be fascinated by the idea of extorting money from people is anyone's guess :D

Hmm. I'm not sure I would call getting rightful taxes the peasants voluntarily pay to their beloved liege extortion. :D

Robert thought of torture or perhaps an execution. Just to show them who is the boss. Instead, he beckoned Nikolaos to him and simply said: “Few people will get to know what they are truly worth. You do. 25 gold, paid fully by your son. Now, start walking and if you ever cause trouble again, I will not be as lenient.”

I'm going to miss this guy when he's gone.