• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Marvelous! Iberia needs more good, Christian kingdoms.

Onward into the peninsula and boy the foreshadowing sounds like it was nearly disastrous I hope at least in the end it doesn't hurt too much but I would like to ask a question. What is the best way to build an army these days I just am overwhelmed by the possibilities and wonder what is a good early game strategy?

The Weird Crusade
The Weird Crusade

The Second Crusade was often called either the Norman Crusade or the Weird Crusade. It was done so for several reasons. Amongst the first one was the participants. There was of course the Pope, Clemens III. Then, there was King Bohemond of Sicily. Also, naturally. Then, there were 13 counts from all over Europe. No Duke, no King, no Emperor partook in the Second Crusade. Just Pope, Normans and some counts.

1602544082134.png

Bohemond and lot of Counts and Countesses

Then, there was the opposition. Yes, all the Muslim rulers in Iberia joined in to defend against the Christians. Of course. All the Muslims in Iberia joined the Hadids in their defense against the Pope, fully understanding that they will be next if they sit this one out. Just, their forces were not that numerous and Bohemond had already culled their numbers a bit. Altogether, they managed to get little over 5000 soldiers in the field. Nothing special. The main opposition of the Second Crusade were instead Duchess Adalaida of Toulose and her ally, Duke Guilhelm of Aquitane. The Duchess was waging war against the Hudids, claiming Barcelona to herself and no way she was going to let some stinking crusaders stop her from doing that.

1602544101547.png

The main adversary of the Second Crusade- Adalaida of Toulose

Meaning, the Second Crusade was mainly fought between Christians, both trying to conquer the Muslims and neither side giving up.

When the war begun, Bohemond split his troops even more, leaving little over 4000 soldiers under his direct command and sending rest to reinforce the siege of Murcia. Mostly because the wares were running out and Bohemond did not want to risk attrition in the not so wealthy provinces.

First thing the Normans did was to hit the rebels at Castellon. In November 1110, the Normans brushed the peasants aside and ended the uprising against Queen Griselda.

1602544141543.png

That is the end of the rebels

The Normans then marched to Tarragona and put the province under siege. They were the first ones to arrive, though the Papal forces were already in the process of landing. They were not the first Christians to arrive though. The troops of Aquitaine and Toulouse were already present and were besieging Urgell. At the moment, the opposing Christians were happy to stay at their locations- neither Bohemond of the Occitan Dukes desired a direct confrontation.

1602544160985.png

Normans, besieging Tarragona. Toulouse, besieging

It stayed that way until Tarragona fell in April 1111. Then, Bohemond marched south, for the enemy had once again put Alcaraz under siege. In early July, the Normans hit the besiegers, killed off about a third of the enemy and forced the rest to retreat.

1602544237561.png

Marching south

Meanwhile, peasants, thinking that it is ok to revolt while the master is away, rose up in Palermo and several other places in the Kingdom. Most likely counting on the fact that all the Norman forces were aboard and the Kingdom defenseless. And they were right. Mostly. As it happened, the Norman secondary forces had finished the siege of Murcia. Now, Bohemond was planning to use them in Iberia, yes, but given the situation, decided to send them home instead.

1602544211457.png

It would have been devastating just a few decades ago

In October 1111, the Norman peasants met with the revolting peasants and the rebellion was crushed. That was awfully nice of them to gather in Palermo, relieving Normans from hard job of hunting them all over. Then, Bohemond disbanded his extra levy. Mostly because he did not want to pay extra money not to pay again to ship them over to Iberia.

1602544344065.png

Not anymore. Sorry, peasants.

Then, the Normans marched North again. In August, Bohemond caught a small Muslim force in Tarragona and destroyed them. After that, Normans marched to Barcelona and put that under siege.

1602544281574.png

Target practice

Meanwhile, the situation in Iberia had changed. The other Christians were pushed back due to Papal forces and other crusaders doing very unchristian things in their home territory. The Occitan Dukes were not totally crushed, but in Iberia, the situation had changed- the Muslims, using this as an opportunity, went on a counter-offensive and were besieging several provinces that were under Christian control.

1602544423943.png

Crusaders, pushing Toulouse back, Muslims marching in to fill the void

Barcelona fell on January 1112. Bohemond marched south, to get the enemy besieging Tarragona. Of course, the other Muslim army besieging Urgell did not just watch, but marched to relieve the first one. Meanwhile, all the Christian allies nearby seemed to be busy doing something else. This was where the Norman knights really shined. Günther, Arnald of Calabria and William of Lanciano, all made legends of themselves in that battle, as the Norman knights and their retinues broke into the enemy, leaving chaos, destruction and corpses behind. Killing nearly 2000 enemy soldiers and breaking the sieges of Tarragona and Urgell with just one battle- Normans were becoming legendary and their commander, Bohemond, was compared to Alexander and Caesar.

1602544458235.png

The kill count is unreal

Then, it was time to march south again, for it was Murcia that was under attack by the Muslims of North Africa. In May 1112, Normans came, saw and conquered. Well, relieved. For the small force of the enemy was thoroughly defeated, while Normans lost little over 100 soldiers. Some of the enemy commanders captured also added to the war chest of Bohemond.

1602544485503.png

To the south again

Then, it was time to hit the North again. Now, the situation had changed again. Muslims were somewhere else, while Toulose was making gains. This will not do, and for the first time during the Second Crusade, it was Normans who attacked their fellow Christians.

Bohemond hit a small for of Auvergne in Cardona in August. The battle was over fast- and good thing that it was, for reinforcements were arriving. The Second Battle of Cardona was almost as successful- though this time, Normans did not fight alone. The final number of soldiers under Bohemond reached nearly 9000, outnumbering the enemy 2-1.

1602544517532.png

The biggest battle of the war (that Normans took part in)

During that time, Griselda managed to sign a peace with Emir Tifan of Ghomara, ending the North African attempt to gain foothold in Iberia. The other war still raged on, but with the Crusaders fighting the same targets, the Queen had an advantage.

1602544543865.png

One Muslim Holy War, thwarted

This was all for the major battles of the war. Bohemond actually did make a small detour to Ocitane, destroying smaller Occitan armies and also fought against Muslims in smaller engagements. Nothing to write home about. It was clear that the Crusaders had won, against both Toulouse and the Muslims.

On 28th of April, the enemy gave up. Hudid Emirate was forced to give back their recent conquests in Aragon and Barcelona and now, the Christians again had four and a half kingdoms in Iberia (Well, Navarra. Technically a Kingdom). Normans to the East of me, Jimenas to the West. Here the Muslims are, stuck in the middle.

1602544571787.png

Four and Half Christian Kingdoms of Iberia

Griselda was left to fight Dhunnunids on her own, but she already had an upper hand. Bohemond was certain her sister would do well.

Royal Matters

Another son was born to Bohemond and Mernissa in August 1111. Named Tancred after his great-grandfather. The succession situation was starting to worry Bohemond for a bit, though he was still a young man.

1602544261936.png

Not that young no more though. In October 1111, the eldest child of Bohemond, Abelarda, came of age. It seemed like it was just moments ago when she was born, but now, she was 16 already. And Bohemond missed the wedding of his own beloved daughter, because of the war. The future husband, Michael Agyros, was an exceptionally beautiful man- a true prince charming. No titles, some claims, but something good to give to the Hauteville line- his looks.

1602544301638.png

When your firstborn marries, you realize you are not the youngest no more. Also, what a moustache Prince Charming has

Arnald of Kroumerie did create his own House in October 1111. Modest man as he was, he named it House Arnaldid, and thus, all his descendants would be known as Arnaldids from this moment on. This gave the man immense pleasure for sure. “Valor is Prosperity”, he added modestly.

1602544396961.png

Ahh, the modesty of Arnald!

Final Weirdness

Gerald de Hauteville. King of Aragon. Son of Count Tomasz of Constantine and Princess Mabel of Sicily. Fourth son. The previous three being Arnald of now Arnaldids, Duke of Kroumerie. Duke Alfons of Alexandria and Count Robert of Algiers. Making the youngest son most successful.

The weird thing is that Gerald had adopted the Baranis culture. Becoming native, as they called it. And according to the fine cultural traditions of Baranis, he called himself Amir-al-Umara Gerald de Hauteville of Grand Emirate of Aragon. Thus, the Crusade ended with a Christian Grand Emir taking over Aragon.

1602544738165.png

Amir al-Umara Gerald of Grand Emirate of Aragon. And his brothers.

Attachments

• 1602544133592.png
    1602544133592.png
    1.021,7 KB · Views: 0
Well, this one was a weird one. Fortunately, Pope plus counts dealt with the Toulouse while I was in the south, saving my sister. This was an utter mess of a Crusade though.

Also, while I appreciate the thought behind fervor instead of moral authority, the current implementation is more of a jojo then anything else. Heretics happen. Fervor goes up. Pope calls a crusade, plus some bad priests happen. Fervor goes back to 0 again. Heretics happen. Pope calls a crusade, plus some very naughty priests happen. Fervor goes back to 0. So, I modded the game a bit. Jojo still happens, but the crusades can now happen only every 20 years. Gives more time for very naughty priests.

I'm sure once there's no other closer target, the Hautevilles will be happy to go Crusading for Jerusalem.

I shall not comment about the current or future Hauteville plans for Jerusalem. :D

The crusaders all got a taste for paella, and you just can't find it in 12th century Lotharingia.

Heh, true that :D It Iberian cuisine, the driving force behind the Crusades. :D

Oh my, the Normans but be the crusaders the Popes love to hate.

I mean whacking Muslims is a good thing for a Crusade, so objecting is hard... but

:D

The Pope- I just really want to retake Jerusalem, ok?
Bohemond- Naah.

Two times in a row :D

Marvelous! Iberia needs more good, Christian kingdoms.

I just hope that they stay good, Christian kingdoms. Hmm, and does good, Christian, Grand Emirate count? :D

Onward into the peninsula and boy the foreshadowing sounds like it was nearly disastrous I hope at least in the end it doesn't hurt too much but I would like to ask a question. What is the best way to build an army these days I just am overwhelmed by the possibilities and wonder what is a good early game strategy?

In the end, things worked out quite ok :)
And well, to me at least it seems that there are two things that are vital, especially early on- martial skill of a ruler and good knights. Focusing on chivalry helps as well. Basically, your martial skill pumps up advantage. This pumps up the damage your knights do. And when you have several 15+ skill knights, then they are unstoppable force in the battlefield. Especially when you take chivalry buffs for the knights early on.
As for man-at-arms, first preference to me is actually siege weapons. Speeding up the sieges is vital for getting things done fast and losing as little gold due to maintenance as possible. After that, i'll go for something cheap, like bowman or light infantry, with some pikeman in the mix. Basically, bit of everything. I'm not sure that is a sound strategy, but in this case, thanks to Bohemond being a kick-ass general, nothing much else is needed.

Amir al-Ulmara Gerald de Hauteville! I love it. (Soon to be from House Geraldid, I would expect.)

Crussdes are...not quite right yet in this game.

Reactions:
A weird Crusade might as well have a weird result. Amir al-Umara Gerald of Grand Emirate of Aragon... I can't imagine you saw that coming.

Just a trifle to the weird indeed - but somehow I imagine not the last "oddity" the game will throw at you.

This is a great-looking gameplay AAR. I’m loving the copious screenshots. You also update super fast, or so it seems. I have a lot to catch up on, but I’m looking forward to it. Any story about the Sicilian Normans is bound to be a rollicking adventure.

The Private Crusade
The Private Crusade

After the Weird Crusade, Bohemond once again set his destination towards the Holiest of Cities. Like a good pilgrim, he walked the path from the shore to Jerusalem. Taking notes on the way. The good theological ones- like the strength of the garrisons, the status of fortifications, location of wells and of all other godly matters.

This was a more eventful pilgrimage then the last one though. For one, Bohemond met Adelard de Fauconberg, running around naked and preaching that this was a proper way to live. Bohemond gazed at the man, getting slowly more red under the scorching Palestine sun, and thought to himself that protective garbs was one of the finest inventions of humanity.

1602709510997.png

Not a proper outfit for Palestine

Then, he met Svatobor of Opava. An insignificant count from a province bordering the Holy Roman Empire and Poland. The way he treated Bohemond, acting all rude and superior towards the King of Sicily, one of the most powerful men in Europe. And one well-versed in fighting, much more then some random Moravian count. It was this that stopped Bohemond. He looked at Svatobor and decided that he is not worthy to spoil this pilgrimage with a simple murder with his bare hands. Instead, the King took a jog. And relieved the stress in a most efficient way possible- by ordering execution of some Muslims.

1602709531392.png

The stressful git and some stress relief

Meanwhile, back in Palermo, Bohemond started an expansion to the castle, upgrading the simple motte to a keep. First proper fortification in the Kingdom of Sicily. Though the island had not seen invasion for a long time, it is still better to be safe then sorry, thought Bohemond. Plus, the castles look cool.

1602709557391.png

Construction of keep

In September 1113, Giselle, the second child of Bohemond and Mernissa, came to age. He was married to yet another Prince Charming, Niketas Gymons. A greek nobody, known mostly for his looks. But it is ok to be superficial sometimes.

1602709582297.png

Giselle, all grown up and married

In January 1114, Mernissa gave birth to yet another baby boy, named Gerbert. Fourth son- meaning the succession will get interesting.

1602709600010.png

Gerbert, the youngest

In February, Duke Arnald of Calabria finished yet another private war- against chiefdom of Souf. Now, the Calabrian lands in Africa are more numerous then Calabrian lands in Mezzogiorno and Arnald is without a doubt the strongest vassal.

1602709617804.png

Arnald, expanding his influence

A few days later, Roger of Tunis did the same- he won a war for Cyrenaica, gaining the Muslim-owned province Awjila. Norman control of North Africa was well on their it’s way to being undisputed.

1602709643982.png

As does Cousin Roger

In June 1114, Uncle Roger created his own House of the Hautevilles. Instead of Rogerids or something, he named it Beaumount. No-one is sure why. And also, how well the latter part of the House motto, “Never Fearful, always peaceful” described the Normans was questioned a bit. At least, Uncle Roger had managed to spend some quality time with his new wife and produced several heirs, making sure the Duchy will stay Norman.

1602709693040.png

Roger de Beaumont

In September 1114, Guy, the firstborn son of Bohemond, also came of age. Just a middling administrator, he was definitely not as warlike as Bohemond and not as good as Bohemond. No royal wedding as of yet- Guy’s Princess Charming was still a bit too young.

1602709789580.png

Prince Guy, the future heir

The Private Crusade

On 24th March of 1114, King Bohemond of Sicily declared war on Caliph Badr ibn al-Majid of the Fatimid Caliphate. Of course, the Caliphate was even more down on their luck, owning Giza in Egypt, some counties in the Near East and most importantly- the Duchy of Palestine. Consisting of Counties of Ghazza and Jaffa- and the holiest of the cities, Jerusalem. This was the target of Bohemond.

1602709673358.png

Let the Crusade Commence!

Bohemond did not even bother to recruit all of his army. Just 4600 soldiers- this was enough. Raised in Alexandria, it was just a short march to Giza, where he put the new capital of Fatimids under siege.

In September, Giza well. At the same time, the scouts reported sighting of Fatimid army. All of their military might- with allies, totalling little over 900 soldiers. How far had the Caliphate fallen... But Bohemond did not mind. His enemies being weak and undermanned was perfectly fine with him. So, the Normans started their hunt and in the beginning of October, caught up with the enemy in Byzantine lands of Dumiyat. There was only one way the battle could turn out- when the sun set, there was just the Norman army left. As a bonus, Normans captured Nassib ibn Badr, son and heir of the Caliph after the battle. Hiding in reeds, trying to play baby Moses or something.

1602709817786.png

Successful battle and a pleasant surprise

“Boy, you have just cost your father a Caliphate,” said Bohemond with a pleased voice and ordered the boy to be taken away.

This war was just about done. Needing some fine-tuning though and therefore, Bohemond and his army marched towards Holy Land, putting Ghazza under siege.

At the same time, Queen Griselda asked for some assistance. It seemed like the Queen was now pressing onwards, declaring Holy War on Toledo. Bohemond joined, but made no promises of assisting any time soon- after all, he had a Crusade to win.

1602709851328.png

Griselda expanding the borders of Valencia

Ghazza fell in March 1115. This was it. Caliph Badr gave up. Few days later, Bohemond entered the City of Jerusalem for the third time in his life. This time, it was different. He had packed an army with him. And he entered the city as a pilgrim no longer. He entered as the new management.

1602709879712.png

This was easy

The locals watched in silence as the King Bohemond and his men marched the streets, towards the Dome of Rock. There was no looting, no pillaging. To be fair though, the constant wars of the Caliphate had left the city in a sorry state too. Crumbling buildings, sparse populace. Poverty and corruption running rampant. Despite attracting pilgrims from all over Europe, little of these profits entered the Norman coffins. For now.

Bohemond entered the Dome of Rock for the third time. At the entrance, he stopped, touching the stones near the entrance. “My church,” he said to himself. Then, he gazed back at the Holiest City. “My city,” he added. Then, he entered the church. His knights by his side. His army, filling the church after him. This was one victory mass he really looked forward to.

1602709997620.png

Jerusalem, not in the best of condition. Also, Dome of the Rock

Just entering the church made him feel somehow a better commander. Much better commander.

Thus, the Holy Land was back in the Christian hands. Norman hands.

Reorganizing the Realm

There was no chance that Bohemond would grant Jerusalem to something else. Though the capital of Sicily would still be in Palermo, the Holy City would be a jewel in his crown. His greatest achievement. After all, he foiled two Crusades to get this far.

So, he was forced to give up some lands. Logudoro and Arborea in Sardinia were given to Prince Gerbert, 1 years old. Soon to be made Duke of Sardinia. To be honest, the 1-year old boy was a better ruler than some grown-ups.

1602710030924.png

Gerbert of Sardinia

Salerno and Camarda were still currently in Bohemond’s direct control, while Former Duke Gaufrid was still safely in prison. Now, Bohemond granted one of the pearls of Mezzogiorno to Prince Tancred, age 3.

1602710059020.png

Tancred of Salerno

With this, Bohemond lost all his holdings in mainland Italy and Sardinia. The money was kind of tight at the moment, so the sons were not Dukes yet, but soon, they will be. And the Royal Demesne now consisted of four provinces of the Island of Sicily and three provinces of the Holy Land.

“Bohemond de Hauteville, Lord and Liberator of Jerusalem” said Bohemond to himself. He was pleased.

Well, there was a reason I kept redirecting my crusades to Iberia. Namely, this. Bohemond de Hauteville, ruler of Jerusalem. Sounds great, doesn't it. Add to the fact that Dome of Rock adds 1 martial per devotion, pumps up the knights, adds renown and piety and also gives gold- no way someone else will hold it!

Amir al-Ulmara Gerald de Hauteville! I love it. (Soon to be from House Geraldid, I would expect.)

Far being for me to spoil it, but you actually nailed that one :D

Crussdes are...not quite right yet in this game.

While I'd say they could use some improvement, and could use much less troops involved, I love the chaos. :D

A weird Crusade might as well have a weird result. Amir al-Umara Gerald of Grand Emirate of Aragon... I can't imagine you saw that coming.

Heh, i was seriously confused when I noticed that the Aragon is a Grand Emirate and the ruler is a dude with a turban calling himself Amir al-Umara. :D
It took me a while to realize that hey, I made it happen. :D

Well, that was a bizarre little affair all round. Christians fighting other Christians in a "crusade" where the winner ends up being conquered by his defeated foe's customs.

Well, there is a precedent to it. Fourth Crusade, where Christians got a little lost. :p Though these were not true Christians, of course.
And at least I replace Emir with Amir al-Umara!

Just a trifle to the weird indeed - but somehow I imagine not the last "oddity" the game will throw at you.

I seriously hope it is not!

This is a great-looking gameplay AAR. I’m loving the copious screenshots. You also update super fast, or so it seems. I have a lot to catch up on, but I’m looking forward to it. Any story about the Sicilian Normans is bound to be a rollicking adventure.

Thanks! :)
And well, it seems like i have too much time at hand and also, my work requires, well, a bit less effort then yours, I imagine.

Well, at least the Pope can't complain anymore.

The Pope is going to love to hate the Normans even more now! I mean, he can't complain about winning back Jerusalem, but after redirecting the Crusades .... that's gotta sting! :D

How very very Norman.

Also - "ever peaceful" - had to chortle at that.

That tricky Bohemund, good for him. And it sounds like his seizure of Jerusalem was substantially kinder than a Crusade might have been.

OH BOY the crown and crown jewel are now assembled but can the Hauteville's keep their foes at bay I wish you luck as you will sorely need it. Also thanks for the advice.

Crushing an Old Enemy
Crushing an Old Enemy

Once Again to Iberia

In April 1115, Bohemond gathered his troops in North Africa and once again sailed over to Iberia, to help his sister. This time, Queen Griselda had taken on an offensive and was in the process of conquering Toledo. This being the richest Duchy in the peninsula, consisting of six counties. An impressive swath of land indeed.

Emir Isma’il II ibn Isma’il of the Dhunnunid Emirate was a bit busy man at the time. Besides Queen Griselda, she was also fighting Castile with their ally, Isle of Man, over the same Duchy. And with Mundirid and Zirid Emirates over Valladoloid. Meaning, the Emirate was crumbling under the weight of it’s enemies. And also, meaning that Bohemond really did not know whom to fight. He settled this in a most simplistic way- anyone who isn’t Norman was a fair target.

First thing Bohemond did was to attack the forces of the Island of Mann in Madrid. They had been busy besieging the province and were just about done when the Hauteville forces descended upon them. Without mercy, Normans slaughtered the British invaders and took over the siege of Madrid. After a week, it fell. It was nice for islanders to do all the work for Normans. As a bonus, Normans captured Sheikh Amazza of Madrid and ransomed him for 50 gold.

1602946471102.png

Just in time to beat Mann and take over the siege

Then, In September, Bohemond attacked a small Dhunnunid force in Teruel. Learning one important thing- Emir Isma’il II is deep in debt and has not been able to pay his soldiers properly for years. Meaning, his soldiers are not really into dieing for the Emir. Also, Bohemond managed to capture Tililwit, son of Emir Isma’il, during the battle. Oh, and he also slaughtered the enemy forces. This was likely all the forces Dhunnunids were able to put to the field too- so Bohemond kind of relieved Emir Isma’il of the financial burden of having an army. It is uncertain if the Emir appreciated the gesture though.

1602946495485.png

Thanks for making the war easier

The Dhunnunid allies, Hudids, were in a much better shape. Despite just losing a crusade, they managed to field an army of 3000 soldiers. Upon hearing the news of Normans approaching, they started to move away though. Very quickly. Not fast enough though. Normans caught up with then in the beginning of the year 1116 in Gredos, a mountainous provice. The enemy took up defensive positions, but Emir Ahmad III forgot to pack his knights and had less man-at-arms and levies than Bohemond. Normans killed off about a third of the enemy.

1602946521433.png

Ahmad III was not a worthy foe

By the end of October 1115, Griselda was hit by yet another Muwalladi Uprising. Again, the rebels thought that it is a good time to stab Griselda in the back, but again, they forgot about the forces of Bohemond. Foolish. And it did cost them dearly.

After the Battle of Gredos, Normans marched all the way across Iberia to Murcia, where the main force of the enemy was desperately trying to take the city and kill all the good Christians (and of course, some Muslims, but hey, accidents happen) within. And they were doing fine until Normans arrived at the end of April and brushed the peasants aside.

1602946560676.png

Again with the peasants

This was it for another Iberian adventure. In May 1116, Emir Isma’il II gave up and ceded all of the lands of Toledo to the Normans. This made Valencia, alongside Leon, the Christian Kingdoms in the peninsula.

1602946623324.png

Valencia, flexing her wings

Bohemond kissed his sister good-bye. Griselda was now much more secure on her throne. Before, her personal lands consisted of just Duchy of Valencia, she added most of the newly conquered lands to her personal demesne, making her position amongst the vassals of Valencia and also, amongst the other rulers of Iberia, much more secure.

Africa, please!

Former Emirate of Kairouan had seen some political changes over the last decades. Emir Munis II had reformed the state from a tribal power to proper, civilized country. And in progress, renamed the country to Riyahid Emirate, after his own family. Unfortunately for Munis II, it meant two things for Normans- that first, former Kairouan is weakened now. And second, that the lands of Kairouan make a much more interesting target.

In May 1116, soon after the Normans were finished in Iberia, it was time for Emir Munis II to be de-throned.

1602946644264.png

Former Emirate of Kairouan

The enemy capital, Kairouan, was in an unfortunate position. Right next to Norman territory. Bohemond was well into using it to his advantage, as he and his nearly 5000 soldiers descended upon the enemy, still gathering their strength. Though bolstered by mercenaries, they were no opposition to the Normans, who cut through the enemy ranks like a hot knife through butter, ending the war before it could even properly start.

1602946718665.png

The decisive battle, fought a mere month after the war was declared

The enemy refused to give up though, and thus, Bohemond put the enemy capital under siege. It fell in October. Meanwhile, Munis II had been desperately trying to gather some troops, to keep up the fight. After taking the enemy capital, the Normans dealt with that threat too and then, continued the siege.

1602946825409.png

Second enemy attempt to raise some forces

West Quamuda fell in March 1117. With this, Munis II realized the futility of his struggle and gave up. Normans got themselves another Duchy in Africa.

First thing Bohemond did was to usurp the title of Kairouan from Emir Munis. Once, his ancestors were powerful players in the area, controlling the coastal areas around Tunis. Now, Munis II can call only two provinces in the outskirts of Sahara his own.

As for the new Duke- meet Michael Argyros of Kairouan. Brother of Doux Konstantinos II of Ephesos. Known for his beauty and his massive beard. Micheal would have been faded into obscurity, a younger son. But he caught a lucky break, as he was married to Abelarda of Sicily. Now, he is the owner of three counties. Two more than his older brother can call his own.

1602946858251.png

Michael of Kairouan. Too bad his branch of House Argyros ends with him

Royal Matters

In February 1116, Bohemond created the Duchy of Sardinia and gave the title to his youngest son, Gerbert, already a count with two provinces in the Island. Incidentally, Normans controlled three provinces in Sardinia, while the Holy Roman Empire, precisely Duchess Mathilda Welf of Lombardy, controlled the rest of the Island.

It also meant that Gerbert had gotten his fair share of the lands of Bohemond and was now considered to be out of the inheritance cycle. Well, Duchy of Sardinia is a nice price indeed, so Gerbert needs not to complain.

1602946584121.png

Gerbert, Duke of Sardinia, out of the inheritance game

The Papal Tax Returns have been a constant source of income for Bohemond. Clemens III had money and Bohemond had no issue petitioning the man for it. Clemens often found that he was in no position to refuse. The sums had been going higher and higher as the time passed as well. The last Papal payment to the Normans, received in May 1116, was already almost 400 gold. It also meant that Clemens III did not look very favourably upon Bohemond, but that is a small price to pay for constant influx of gold.

1602946671393.png

Hello Pope! Time to open your coffers again

Muriella, the third daughter of Bohemond, became of age in June 1116. She was married to Prince Mikulaš Premyslid, a true Prince Charming. Though the prince held no lands, he was known for his beauty, good manners and military prowess.

1602946761329.png

Union between Bohemia and Sicily

Also, Ibolya Szentgyörgyi, the bride for Prince Guy of Sicily, came of age in October and there was a lavish ceremony in Palermo as the son and heir of Bohemond married the Hungarian beauty.

1602946785540.png

Some hot Hungarian blood

Gaufird, the former Duke of Salerno and Apulia, had been contemplating the error in his ways in the dungeons of Bohemond for about two decades now. Landless, powerless, but not forgotten by all. Fressenda, his wife, became the mayor of Ascalon, a newly conquered city in the Holy Land and now pesters Bohemond constantly with offers to release his husband from the dungeons. These requests fall on deaf ears. But this perfectly shows the value of men. Once, Gaufrid was worth 100 gold. Now, he is worth only 15.

1602946920345.png

Gaufrid of Ascalon

Little wars this time. Though with Toledo, the position of Griselda is truly more secure. Now, she controls total 7 counties and opposed to 2. And well, there is no Kairouan no more. First opponent I had in Africa.

Well, at least the Pope can't complain anymore.

Well, technically, the Kingdom of Jerusalem is still in pagan hands. So i would not be surprised if the next Crusade would still be to Jerusalem. :p
And seeing how much money i'm extorting from the Pope, he can complain all he wants :D

The Pope is going to love to hate the Normans even more now! I mean, he can't complain about winning back Jerusalem, but after redirecting the Crusades .... that's gotta sting! :D

How very very Norman.

Also - "ever peaceful" - had to chortle at that.

Well, Jerusalem is nice enough to hold for oneself, so while the Pope might complain...
And since we are next door neighbors, the Pope can complain all he wants. He still holds some of MY lands!

And to be fair, Uncle Roger has been quite peaceful. :p

That tricky Bohemund, good for him. And it sounds like his seizure of Jerusalem was substantially kinder than a Crusade might have been.

At least much less numerous. Not having tens of thousands of heavily armed Christian forces marching through your lands is always a good thing.

OH BOY the crown and crown jewel are now assembled but can the Hauteville's keep their foes at bay I wish you luck as you will sorely need it. Also thanks for the advice.

Thanks, but the luck isn't much needed no more. Normans are the top dogs now and I doubt there will be many who dare to oppose Bohemond.

Well, technically, the Kingdom of Jerusalem is still in pagan hands. So i would not be surprised if the next Crusade would still be to Jerusalem. :p
And seeing how much money i'm extorting from the Pope, he can complain all he wants :D

They are wonderfully charitable people. Paradox still hasn't changed that.

I actually quite like the papacy so far. Haven't felt the need to meddle at all and stuff the cardinal council yet...

I do love how the friendship between Bohemond and Griselda has shaped a lot of his reign. So many wars to help here strengthen and defend her kingdom. It's downright wholesome.