• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
First Blood

When you are a Norman, you have to prove to your subjects that you must be taken seriously. It takes more than rounding up a few prisoners and having a small execution party on the day you ascend to the throne. No, it takes more than that. You have to show your subjects that you are good at one thing that matters to a Noman- at warfare. You have to show that you can lead your armies, you can achieve victories. In short, you have to show what it takes to be a top dog in the ruthless medieval world.

Bohemond just happened to have a convenient target nearby. Amirid Emirate, a nearby Muslim state, with their capital in the Balearic Islands, but also with some holdings in the mainland Iberia, had just expanded. Emir Ali II ibn Fadl had conquered the province of Arborea in Sardinia. Logical step- expansion towards lightly defended and splintered Christian island that could offer no meaningful resistance. Only, he left out the Normans who now control two provinces in the island- and would love to make it three.

Without further ado, Bohemond declared his first war on 13th January, 1093. 6 days after he became a King, 2 days after his coronation. Leaving the city of Palermo to celebrate his ascension to the throne, he sailed away in the morning and set course for Logudoro. As did many of his soldiers. It was his first war and his first time of leading the Normans to battle. Bohemond felt a bit scared- but he had been tutored by Robert Guiscard himself, after all. He was confident he would pull it off.

1601306105720.png

Not even a week passed when Bohemond went to his first war

It took a few weeks for the Normans to gather. Then, they marched south and put Oristano, the capital of the Arborea, under siege. It fell in April. To be honest, it was not Bohemond who took care of the siege. He did not care much for mangonels and walls, he loved the open battle. The siege, he left to someone else- someone more capable in using the heavy machinery. After the successful siege, Normans pulled back to Logudoro. And waited.

In June, reports of Muslim ships were sighted along the coast of Sardinia. It appears that all the forces of Amiridis and their allies were making a combined invasion against the upstart Normans. Bohemond just grinned- the more, the merrier. In the beginning of July, both the Normans and Muslims entered Arborea. Muslims, still exhausted from the sea voyage, were at a clear disadvantage, though in numbers side, they had a clear advantage. The Normans started with a small advantage in numbers, but the enemy managed to march in additional 1500 soldiers.

In the end, Normans had about 4500 soldiers. The enemy had nearly 5000. Bohemond had just 7 knights under his rule, but the enemy had 22. The enemy did not have Bohemond though- nor did they have legendary knights like Günthar or Duke Arnald. That is what Bohemond placed his plan upon- the charge of the finest of Normans. Followed by levy and man-in-arms, pouring into holes in the enemy lines, created by the best of the knights. It worked wonders. With Bohemond, it was just 8 of them, but it was glorious. Galloping into enemy lines, ground trembling, lances up front. 8 men charging 5000. Right at the center of it, where the enemy is the thickest. These 8 breaking through, and the 5000 staring faltering. Then, as the levies close the gap, faltering turns into panic. Organized resistance turns into every man for himself. Sure, there were some pockets of resistance. The enemy left wing did their best to give a proper fight and quite a few Normans lost their lives. But the victory was glorious. Günther himself killed 82 of the enemy soldiers. Arnald got just 67, but he also killed one enemy knight, maimed another and wounded the third.

In the end, the enemy was forced to flee, the Normans captured their leader (ransomed for 50 gold) and killed off about a third of the enemy soldiers. As first battles go, this was a great success.

1601306078790.png

The first battle of Bohemond

Meanwhile, another army of 500 soldiers had landed in the nearby county of Tortoli. It was the enemy, but it was not the enemy. It was Yusuf ibn Ali of Menorca, vassal of Emir Ali II ibn Fadl, who had decided that it was the prime time to conquer Tortoli. Now, Bohemond showed his true colors. Though Pedru of Tortoli send him countless requests for help, begging him to come to the rescue of a fellow Christian, they all fell to deaf ears. Instead, Bohemond pulled back to Logudoro to recover.

1601305995194.png

The other army, the other war. Not our business.

In November, the enemy made another attempt to take back Arborea. This time, the Normans had all the advantage they needed. Again, the enemy was pushed back, while losing a thousand of their soldiers. “Perhaps they should not have taken the boats,” said Bohemond.

1601305934013.png

Perhaps you should be more careful with landing your troops

In February 1094, Tortoli fell, Pedru was kicked out and the Muslims settled in. It was then when Bohemond decided to move. In March, the Normans descended upon the enemy soldiers, still celebrating their victory, and wiped the victorious army of Yusuf ibn Ali from this world.

1601305908518.png

Now, the Normans come to the rescue

In May 1094, the enemy made their third and final attempt to retake Arborea. Final, because after this battle, there were no enemies left for the fourth attempt. So thorough was the Norman victory.

1601305838804.png

Disembarking and in debt. The enemy is out of armies now.

At the same time, Mernissa finally became of age. Wild oat of a queen, a Muslim in the throne of Sicily. Not for long though- she converted on Bohemond’s request as soon as she became the Queen. The couple married one day after the final battle of Arborea- though with Bohemond busy with the war, the ceremony was concluded in absentia. Bohemond now had his queen, and what a queen she was. Smart and strong. And pleasing to the eye. Incidentally, wedding was paid by other people.

1601305795027.png

Marriage during the time of war

The war continued. Bohemond took Tortoli from the enemy and that was that for military movements. Bohemond felt reluctant to invade Balearic isles and the enemy had run out of steam to mount any serious counter-attack to Sardinia. So, Normans parked themselves in conquered territories and waited.

Until in October 1094, the inevitable peace was signed. Bohemond gained the county of Arborea. He kept the county for himself for the moment. The enemy was thoroughly trashed and the first war of Bohemond was an astounding success.

1601305725917.png

Rattling King Bohemond

Royal Matters

In March 1094, Dragomir, the steward, died. Captured during Robert’s excursions to Balkans, the man was pressed into service. Grateful for not being dead, Dragomir did actually a fine job. Bohemond was sad to see the old man go- during his times in Palermo, Dragomir had taught him much about the thing that changes the world even more than cold steel- soft gold. Bohemond replaced him with Svetozar of Gabes.

In September 1094, Tomasz of Constantine died. It was life that got him. The good life. Food and wenches. The poor Count was fat to say the least. It was not a beautiful death, and 10 men were needed to carry his coffin. His son, Arnald of Constantine, just 10 years old, took over. He was a proper Hauteville now.

1601305754042.png

New Council after some unfortunate deaths

Bohemond decided to take a chance and offer the spymaster’s position to Pulcheria of Napoli. Though she disliked Bohemond, she decided to agree. The temptation was just too great.

In May 1094, Bohemond decided that the most important thing for the Hautevilles is to have proper blood. Much better chance for geniuses and such emerging from the Hauteville ranks is always a good thing.

1601305879492.png

Does anyone pick anything else?

Upon returning home, Bohemond kissed his young wife, who had patiently waited for the King for half a year. They held another celebration, this time, with the King very present, especially during the night, when the young couple finally consummated their marriage. Few days later, the King took off again. This time, to Jerusalem. Not satisfied with just Rome, the King decided that being a good Christian means visiting the Holiest of the Cities.

1601305695752.png

Jerusalem, here we come!

Small target, but fun war. Though the AI and islands do not seem to work very well and the disembarkment advantage is something really really useful.

Fair point re: successors :D

But only one person gets to be the true founder of the realm. Aside from that Bohemond has every advantage, if he can but grasp it. Somehow ... I doubt that will be too much of a problem.

One true founder, yes. One true successor, who makes the realm much stronger. And then, desperate successors who need to conquer more and more to surpass their forefathers. It is a downward spiral. :D
And yes, I imagine Bohemond got quite a grasp of thing.

Four days of being underage. Wow. That's hilarious. I appreciate the internal update on how the kingdom is fairing.

Sometimes, the predecessor kicks the bucket when the time is perfect :D

He's a tough old bird, right? The game seems to favour younger popes. When he finally died in my game, the game replaced him with a teenager.

Hmm, i've seen both. Just the teenage ones tend to stick around for longer while 50+ usually kick the bucket much faster.
I Was A Teenaged Pope, the 12th century YA bestseller
Considering the health benefits and boosts you get, he might be pope for an awful long time.

And some sources say Benedictus IX was about 12 when he became the pope, so it is not that far off :D
The Pope and The Puberty would also make quite an interesting book :D

A very Norman beginning :)

A good start to his reign.

Saving Uncle Roger
Saving Uncle Roger

King Bohemond sailed across the seas, to the Holiest of All Cities. Jerusalem, the Dome Rock, the entire Holy Land left him with an impression that he carried with him for the rest of his life. As the King himself described, following the footsteps of Jesus Christ was a life-changing experience. He felt the God near him and in him during his journey- and most importantly, he felt God’s good intentions towards him.

1601418338070.png

More like "I have slept through the Holy Path" by the look on his face

When he left the Holy City behind, he gazed toward the city once more. “Shame the Muslims own it,” he said to himself, thoughtfully.

One of the first things Bohemond did upon returning was to ask for some money from the Pope. In some ways, he still kept to the ways of his grandfather. Holy might be holy, but gold is something you can touch.

1601418317660.png

Holy Tax Return, Popeman!

Also, Bohemond kept the beard and new hair he grew during the journey. Looking less young and more kingly now.

1601418267112.png

The new look

Double Duke

“Gaufrid,” Bohemond said to the Duke of Salerno. “Care to explain?”

Gaufrid de Hauteville, son of Abelard, just a few years older than the King himself, tried his best to look clueless. “Explain what, my Liege?” he asked, feigning innocence.

Though he was a glutton and it showed already, the man had ambition. As usual- Count Abelard died too soon, leaving the young count fatherless. Surrounded by people who did their best to get to the good graces of the young count, they showered him with praise and really held back on criticism. Resulting in Gaufrid perhaps overestimating his abilities by a bit. Or by quite a large scale.

“Like,” said Bohemond with a sharp tone. “Like me going on my pilgrimage with you as Duke of Salerno? And when I return, I find you as both Duke of Salerno and Apulia?”

The King took a deep breath and continued “And I find my uncle Robert as definitely not the Duke of Apulia, and also your vassal? Alongside Geoffrey of Bari, that is?”

Gaufrid stiffened. “I am well within my right to do so, my Liege!,” he proclaimed loudly. “After all, my father, Count Abelard, inherited the claim from his grandfather, Duke Humphrey, brother of Robert Guiscard, and as such, my claim for the Duchy is as strong then Rogers!”

Bohemond felt the rage build up on him. He felt a vein on his forehead throbbing. He felt like grabbing his sword and just splitting Gaufrid into two, as he stood there, that arrogant look on his face.

Just, the King knew full well that splitting powerful vassals into two would create more problems than it is worth. As knew Gaufrid.

Bohemond gritted his teeth and forced himself to calm down. “And I understand there has been a bit of a war going on?” he added with a very icy tone.

Gaufrid just shrugged. “Well, your uncle did not recognize my claim, so a bit of persuasion was needed.”

The Double Duke had no idea how close to becoming Duke of Salerno on the bottom half and Duke of Apulia on the upper half he became. Bohemond gripped his sword until his knuckles turned bare white, but then he let go, slowly.

“You went to war against my Uncle,” he said, slowly, breathing out.

“I am well within my right to do so,” repeated Gaufrid.

“If that is all, my Liege?” he bowed and turned away. Leaving behind one very angry Bohemond.

1601418420999.png

Gaufrid, taking Duchy of Apulia from Roger

Rest of the council had been watching in silence. Then, Pulcheria looked up, with a mischievous smile. “Poison or dagger, sire?” she asked.

Bohemond stared at her blankly. “Eh?” he said

“Poison or dagger?” she repeated herself.

“No,” said Bohemond. “No, no, no! Not this way!”

“So, are you going to just stand by?” she asked.

“No,” said Bohemond again. “Death is too good for him. I want to make an example out of him.”

“I think death sets a good example,” muttered Pulcheria to herself, but left it as that.

“Abelard,” Bohemond turned towards his Bishop. “Can you get me a claim on Salerno?”

The Bishop nodded. “It can be done. It will take some time. You sure about it, Sire?”

Bohemond nodded. Then, he dismissed the council. Merenissa stayed behind. “You held yourself back really well there, my dear,” she commented.

“I was this close to killing him on spot,” said the King.

“I noticed,” said the Queen. “Come, my husband,” she said with a wink. “Let me think of something to take your mind off these things...”

Bohemond felt much calmer already. She smiled at her wife, already visibly pregnant, and allowed her to take his hand and lead him towards royal bedchambers.

He felt happy that his marriage was arranged with such a nice woman as Mernissa. Could have been worse. Much worse.

1601418285892.png

Bohemond and Mernissa, now more then just husband and wife

Holy War for Annaba

Judike Torchitor of Cagliari in Sardinia followed the Normans- he invaded Africa, taking the county of Annaba in 1079. Then, in 1091, he died, splitting the counties between his sons. Sergiu, the younger, got Annaba. Constantinu, the elder one, got Cagliari. Count Tomasz of Constantine used that fact and declared war on Sergiu. Then, Tomasz died. His son, Arnald, inherited the county and the war. To make matters more interesting, Ali II ibn Fadl of the Amarid Emirate that Bohemond just defeated, thought of finding new glory in Africa and also declared war on Sergiu.

War was not going well for Arnald, until he bethored his sister to be a relative of Duke Pere Ramon of Barcelona, thus gaining a valuable alliance. And gaining Catalan army, joining in their war. Pere Ramon turned the tide and in July 1095, Arnald relieved Sergiu from Annaba. And Bohemond inherited a Muslim holy war against Annaba. Once again, Bohemond was at war with Amarids.

1601418220174.png

While Bohemond gets the war...

First thing Bohemond did was to create the Duchy of Kroumerie and hand it to Arnald. Better for the boy to receive it from his King then to create it himself and hog all the glory and show no gratitude.

1601418238970.png

... Arnald gets the Duchy

Meanwhile, enemy forces were besieging Cagliari. This time, Bohemond heeded the call of fellow Christians and marched to the rescue. The enemy started pulling back, but it was too little, too late. Bohemond caught the small enemy force and destroyed them. Since it seemed that this was about it from the enemy, he then disbanded his troops again.

1601418139280.png

That's over with

Pope Alexander II finally died in October 1095. First thing his successor, Clemens III, received was a letter from Bohemond, asking for Papal aid against his long, hard and costly war against the enemy. Sighing, Clemens III empties his coffers a bit. With satisfaction, Bohemond noted that the Pope still had plenty left.

1601418155917.png

New Pope, new donations!

The war dragged on, with neither side showing any initiative. Until in March 1097, Bohemond and Ali II agreed that this was pointless and signed a white peace.

1601417795767.png

Boring an to an unglorious war

Royal Matters

Bohemond’s twin aunts became of age on 25th October 1094. Both were married to capable men, men who did not bring the power of their dynasty, but instead, were known for their own merit. Though Saltaru was a bit on the light side, The twins were married in a lavish dual wedding ceremony and they both settled in the palace of Palermo with their husbands. Waiting for Bohemond to conquer something nice for them.

1601418385164.png

Twins and their double marriage

Griselda, Bohemond’s sister and a friend, also became of age in July 1096. Bohemond married her to a handsome devil called Anfroi Fitzwalter. Griselda seemed happy.

1601417955429.png

A prince charming!

Succession is Safe!

On 6th October 1095, Alberada was born. A daughter and firstborn of Bohemond and Mernissa. There was much joy and celebration and the child looked exceptional. At least, to the eyes of the loving mother. Bohemond himself was campaigning at Sardinia at the time and it was not until late Novemer before he could hold the baby in his arms. Still, the succession was safe. Even if the child was a girl- but she was also a promise of plenty more to come.

1601418185799.png

Welcome to this world, Alberada

Saving Uncle

“Fuck!” said Bohemond. “Fucking fuck! I shall personally fuck this fucker so even his fucking mother don’t recognize that sad fuck no more!”

He held the letter in his hands and with swift movement, tore it into two.

“Fuck,” he repeated himself.

Then, he slammed his fist on a solid wooden table, bloodying his knuckles. The pain helped him concentrate.

“Fucker,” he said more calmly.

Then, he noticed his council, staring at him, eyes widened.

“Gaufrid,” he explained. “Our beloved Duke of Salerno and Apulia. Apparently, he had revoked Bari from Geoffrey in January. Apparently, he tried to do the same with Uncle Robert and he refused. Now, the Duke has been fighting my uncle Robert over County of Apulia since April. Apparently, Geffrey of now just Lecce is fighting alongside my uncle. Apparently, my beloved former chancellor Robert of Lanciano, God rest his wicked soul, joined Gaufrid in his war- and now, his son and heir William is continuing the war.”

1601418084361.png

Uncle Robert and Count Geoffrey in their desperate battle to hold their lands.

The King took a deep pause. Then, he said in a bit too loud voice. “Now, why wasn’t I informed? It is bloody November, you know!"

“Bloody November!” he repeated himself and slammed his fist on the table again, leaving small stains of blood behind.

“Can anyone explain to me how it is possible that there is a war within my realm and I wasn’t informed?”

Prince Guy, the new chancellor, Duke of Tunis, brother of Robert, uncle of Bohemond, smiled calmly at the angry King. “Nephew, I think you just answered yourself to your question. It seems like the late Robert was withholding all information coming from the peninsula. You being busy in Sardinia and the pregnancy of Merissa and all that. He might have even told you that, in a situation where he was certain you would not listen and in a way that you would not listen.”

1601418039985.png

Uncle Guy, the new Chancellor

Calmness of Guy seemed to have an effect on Bohemond as well. Making him a bit calmer. Then, a bit more. Then, even more. Then, the King sat down and said, in a quiet voice. “I want blood.”

Council just nodded.

It was the end of June of 1096. Things were not going well for Uncle Robert. Robert of Lanciano and Gaufrid had scattered the forces of both him and Geoffrey. Apulia was under occupation and Gaufrid was currently besieging Lecce. It was clear that the castle would not hold out for much longer and Gaufrid was already celebrating his future victory.

Failing to notice that Bohemond gathered an army in Bari. Failing to notice Bishop Abelard, doing things considered perhaps not the most appropriate for a clergyman. Failing to notice that the noose around his head tightens.

On 30th June, Bohemond had gathered (read: forged) enough documents to show that in fact, the fief of Salerno was granted to Abelard of Camarda by Robert Guiscard on the condition that the named fief would be returned to the King Robert or his descendants upon death of Abelard. Since Abelard is long dead and Gaufrid has not honored the agreement, King Bohemond is now sadly forced to press the said claim.

1601417980852.png

Bohemond greatly appreciates Gaufrid's stance in the matter
Gaufrid refused. “Good,” commented Bohemond.

The very same day, the army of Bohemond marched south. Both Gaufrid and Count William were besieging the province of Lecce. Just, upon finding out that he is suddenly at potential war with his liege, William sent envoys to Bohemond, claiming that he really did not want to do it, but his father’s last wish and so on, and begged the King for forgiveness. Bohemond promptly forgave and William gathered his men and left the siege camp, leaving one very angry Gaufrid behind.

The Battle of Brindisi has very little to write about. Gaufrid was not as good of a military commander as he thought he was. His army was about fifth of Bohemond’s army. When the forces met on 29th July, Bohemond demonstrated his superiority as a knight and as a commander. After the battle, there was no army of Gaufrid.

1601417908982.png

While William scatters to retreat, Gaufrid and his ambition really did on this day

Then, Bohemond did something questionable. He continued the siege of Lecce (after all, Geoffrey was a vassal of Gaufrid, and therefore, even though he was at war with Gaufrid, he, as a vassal, was also at war with the enemy of his liege, meaning King Bohemond. Made sense?) and sacked the castle. He also took Geoffrey of Lecce as a prisoner after the siege, along with half of his family. The total ransoms netted the King about 100 gold and one very angry count.

1601417887417.png

This is not the nicest thing to do...

Bohemond was not finished yet. His forces then marched to Salerno, only to find out an army of Lecce besieging the province. Since neither side could decide who would get to do what, Bohemond just beat the army of Geoffrey and took over the siege.

1601417846025.png

Hostile takeover of the siege

Salerno fell in November 1096. After the siege, Bohemond’s troops found Gunora, the daughter and heir of Gaufrid. Bohemond, trying to recover some of the costs of war, just ransomed her back to Gaufrid for 100 gold. Meanwhile, Bohemond marched on to Camarda.

1601417820589.png

Hello Gaufrid, time to pay up

Camarda fell in May 1097. With this, the original lands of Gaufrid were safely under the control of the King. A year ago, Gaufrid was an arrogant man, confident in his abilities and certain his ploy would be successful. He thought that the King cannot oppose him, that he would be the sole master of Apulia and Salerno both, that he would be the most powerful vassal of Bohemond- and perhaps, one day, it would be he who would be King. Now, landless, armyless, he had no choice but to beg Bohemond for mercy. He received none.

Bohemond forced Gaufrid to accept the sedition of Salerno to the King. Seeing that the Duke was in prison, he really had no choice but to comply. One of the richest, most developed provinces of the Kingdom was now under Bohemond’s direct command.

1601418575922.png

Making Salerno as part of the Royal Demesme

In addition, King took both Roger and Geoffrey from him as vassals and made himself the direct ruler of the two. Again, kind of hard to say no if the King had you locked up, right?

1601418464444.png

Taking over the vassals of Gaufrid

That is not all. Bohemond also forced Gaufrid to end the war with Uncle Roger and thus saved the poor man from becoming homeless and destitute wanderer.

Finally, Bohemond kept Gaufrid in prison and had no intention of letting him go any time soon.

Mass executions and wars against infidels is one thing. Here, Bohemond really showed all the Normans that dissent is not recommended. Bohemond might be first amongst the equals, but he is the first and it would be wise not to anger the young King, for he is quick and without mercy.

Paradox has been making grand strategy games for two decades now. Still can't get the message settings correct. Come on, I would really love to be informed when there is infighting in my realm. Sometimes I can even react. Keep me informed. Please. Pretty please.
Asking for more direct way of getting involved in internal conflicts is too much to ask, right?

Anyway, this episode became a bit longer then I expected, but I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed trashing Gaufrid. How to say- the strength of an enemy does not matter, as long as you can weave a good story from it.

Also, in case someone wonders what happened to Gaufrid's beard- the patch shaved the man clean. :D

Finally, Gaufrid actually refused my request to end the war with Robert. In my opinion, he was in no position to refuse, so I just switched to him and offered white peace to Robert.

A very Norman beginning :)

Hah, I guess so. Ain't no proper Norman if you don't do warfare.

A good start to his reign.

Aye, victory against reasonably sized enemy :D

And so the grand child begins his reign and the possibility of crusade isn't far off either.

With the fervor of the Catholics being once again all-time low and me bringing it even further down with holy wars, the chances are not that good for a crusade actually.

Reactions:
Pulcheria's solution is predictably, but was a worthy option. Still your course to punish Gaufrid sent a stronger message.

All should listen to the King. All should respect the King. He is King after all.

I find the message setting ... issue ... to actually be a very major issue. I definitely channel my inner Behemond in those moments.

I am sure the double duke (no more) is now fully appreciative of where he went wrong.

Reactions:
Call of God!

Fatimids were not the power they once were. They had lost lands to both Byzantines and Seljuks and controlled mostly the coastal areas of Egypt and beyond. Upper Egypt had been lost to Jukondarids, a coptic state. Holy Land was still in their hands though. Still, once they were holders of North Africa, Levant, North Africa, Syria and even the Island of Sicily.

1601587097085.png

Current Caliph

These days, Caliph Badr ibn al-Majid had less men then the Normans and an empty treasury to boot. Something Bohemond did not mind using to his advantage at all. In July 1097, he declared war on Fatimids, claiming Cyrenaica. Fatimids had taken the provinces just recently and now, it was time to lose them again.

1601587116672.png

Ain't much left of the mighty Fatimid Caliphate

Normans started their invasion from Sicily. In September, they embarked in Barqa without any resistance from the enemy and by January 1098, took the province. Still no resistance. Second province of Cyrenaica that the Fatimids held, Derna, fell in April. The Normans marched across the Byzantine lands of Tobruk to Egypt proper. Still no resistance.

In October, Sullum, the gate to Egypt fell. Bohemond’s supplies were starting to get low, but he decided to push ahead, towards the enemy heartlands. Only to find Alexandria to be under siege by the enemy (enemy of Emir of Alexandria, not Caliph Badr), so he settled for besieging Rashid in Delta instead.

The Cross

The siege was still ongoing when Clemens III assembled a council in Rome, calling all Christian rulers to join him there. Must be something to do with the recent rise of Cathars in Northern Burgundy. And must be important enough, so in February 1099, Bohemond left the siege under the capable hands of Count William of Lanciano and sailed to the glorious city.

There, he was greeted by the Pope himself- and there, he met indeed rulers from all over Europe. There, Clemens III addressed them all. Claiming that the Christians need to be united in these trying times. That Christians should muster their forces and join together as a proper force and together, liberate the birthplace of Jesus Christ from the heathens. He promised absolution of sins to everyone who promised to take the Cross and bring the Cross to the walls of Jerusalem. There was much cheering.

1601587312601.png

Holy War for Holy Land

Then, Bohemond stood up. “You know,” he said, addressing the rulers of Europe. “While Clemens does have a right idea, I’m not sure he has the right target...”

He waited a bit, allowing the translators to get the message across.

“Yes, the liberation of the Holiest of the Cities is a noble cause and while I’m more than happy to see the Cross decorate the Dome of Rock once again, we should not forget that this is not a perfect world we live in. Heathens are heretics are everywhere, and while taking the distant land of Jerusalem is a noble cause indeed, I think there are more pressing concerns nearby.”

He took a pause and gauged the audience. He noticed that he had some agreement. After all, Jerusalem was far off and travelling was expensive...

“Our brothers and sisters in Iberia are threatened by the Muslims there!” Bohemond continued. “For centuries, the brave Christians in the North have fought against the Muslim onslaught and they are slowly, but surely, losing against the Muslim tide! And that is much more concerning then the Holy Land, for loss of Iberia would hurt us all, it would weaken Christianity. It would make the battles of Karl the Great for naught!”

“I say that instead of Jerusalem, we should take Valencia! Oust the Emirates there liberate Iberia from centuries of yoke!”

Most rulers did some quick calculations and came to following conclusions:
Iberia is indeed much closer then Jerusalem
Muwalladism is a sect of Islam, not present in anywhere else but in Iberia, so the opposition would be less fierce
Iberia is a bit nicer and richer target then war-torn Jerusalem

So, much to dismay of Clemens III, the rulers decided that a Crusade is a fine idea indeed, but hey, Holy Land is not going anywhere, so let us all have an Iberian vacation.

1601587393709.png

...or Holy War for Land that is Moderately Holy

As for Bohemond, he named his sister, Griselda, as the main beneficiary of the Crusade. Not just because she was Hauteville. Nor because she was his best friend. She was also an intelligent woman, more then capable military leader and otherwise, had she been born a man, she would achieve great things. Bohemond had a rare chance to give her sister an opportunity to prove herself- and he took it without hesitation.

1601587346053.png

A Hauteville, a sister, a best friend. No nepotism involved, none whatsoever

Rush to Finish

Meanwhile, the Normans were still in the middle of conquest of Cyrenaica. One that is preferably done before the Crusade begins. Just, Rashid was exceptionally defended province and the progress was slow. It fell in July 1099 and Bohemond really started to feel the press of time.

1601587273079.png

Defenses of Rashid were tough to beat

Normans did find a battle though. Finally. In Alexandria. Against the Kings of Africa, the Zirids. They were there as allies or enemies or something- Bohemond really didn’t care. They were there, they were hostile and the King had really gotten bored of the endless sieges. So, he crushed the Zirids.

1601587438017.png

The only battle of this war, and this was against Zirid Emirate. Go figure.

Meanwhile, Byzantines had started war for Delta, and they were successful as well. Bohemond did not really enjoy the prospect of the Roman Greeks taking back their lands, for he knew that this will end up as a bloody conflict between the two nations, but hey, if Byzantines want to be fools, who is he to stop them?

There were more boring sieges going on as Bohemond marched to Giza. That is where Bohemond spent the change of the century as well. Celebrating in the shadow of the Great Pyramids, waiting for the city to fall. It did fall in January 1100. Then, the Normans marched to Cairo.

Time was on short supply already. The Crusade was about the begin and the Caliph still had some fight left in him. It was time to rush things. Norman mangonels did a good job weakening the castle and then, Bohemond ordered an assault. It was a bloody affair, something Bohemond did not like much, but hey, time was not on Norman side. Normans were ferocious and the enemy did not offer much of a resistance. On 7th March, the city of Cairo fell. Caliph Badr signed the peace, ceding Cyrenaica to Normans.

1601587535229.png

Assault on Cairo

Two counties of a four-province Duchy were now Norman. Barqa and Derna. Both still tribal, but that’s life. And two tribal counties is still better then no counties at all. Thus thought Torgils Egge, now Count Torgils of Derna, husband of Bohemond’s aunt, Princess Fredesende.

1601587555879.png

The end of war and the new Count

The Fatimids were beaten.

Royal Matters

Archbishop Abelard died in summer of 1097. The Pope sent Hamelin in his stead. He was a good Bishop, but he also happened to have some very not priestly desires. A lustful sadist of a Bishop? At least, he knew his scripture and Bohemond welcomed the wicked priest with open arms. Hamelin proved to be a man for the job though. In September 1098, he provided Bohemond with well enough documents to say that Camarda should also be part of Bohemond’s domain, not that of Gaufrid. Bohemond did not press it yet.

1601587054956.png

Wicked priest is ok. As long it is good wicked priest

In August of 1097, Giselle was born. A second daughter of Bohemond and Mernissa, the child seemed as brilliant as the first- and also, strong as a baby ox.

1601587162061.png

Giselle sure is exceptional

Uncle Guy of Tunis had been campaigning in Africa as well. In January 1098, this came to a conclusion- he is now the proud owner of County of Labda, extending his influence a bit further. Not much of a county though- still tribal. It had potential though- if properly developed, this could grow into a fine province.

1601587184247.png

Uncle Guy, now also Count of Labda

In September 1098, the joyous news were heard all around Palermo- Mernissa had borne a son to Bohemond. Called Guy, he was a bright, healthy boy and the succession of the main line of Hautevilles was ensured. The celebrations were grand, though Guy himself was a bit too young to properly enjoy them.

1601587227015.png

Welcome to this world, Bohemond Guy

In July 1099, Bohemond’s fascination with the bailiffs finally paid off. Now, Normans were able to send bailiffs everywhere and therefore, Bohemond was able to control more lands. Now, Bohemond started to become fascinated with the idea of Hereditary Rule

1601587475720.png

Bailiffs are utterly fascinating indeed, but Hereditary Rule also has it's benefits

After the war and discovery of bailiffs, Bohemond quickly visited Duke Gaufrid in the dungeons of Palermo. When he came back up, Gaufrid had a black eye and Bohemond had an official document where Gaufrid gave up all the claims he had on Camarda, ceding the province to Bohemond. Soon, he was Duke of Salerno no more, and now he just controlled Bari. It is not wise to cross the King. On a bright side, apparently visits were still allowed, for Gaufrid managed to sire another daughter during his time in prison.

1601587580518.png

Gaufrid, former Count of Salerno and Camarda

The First Crusade

Three days after the defeat of Fatimids, the plans set in motion by Clemens III (and altered a bit by Bohemond) finally came to fruition. On 10th of March 1100, the Christians all over Europe grabbed their swords and looting sacks and started their march towards the Iberia and various Emirs in the Valencian part of the peninsula. It was the first time Catholics fought as an united front.

1601587620602.png

Deus Vult!

Attachments

• 1601587087956.png
    1601587087956.png
    1,3 MB · Views: 0
Managed just in the nick of time! :)
Three days difference between crusade and end of the Fatimid beating means I can disband my troops and start fresh, instead of shipping them over from Egypt.

Pulcheria's solution is predictably, but was a worthy option. Still your course to punish Gaufrid sent a stronger message.

Murder would have not solver the problem- nothing to stop the successor of Gaurid from doing the same. Now that he is locked up and his powerbase reduces, he cannot do harm no more.

All should listen to the King. All should respect the King. He is King after all.

Aye, that is right. Or at least, refrain from grabbing land and attacking his uncles. That is not too much to ask, is it?

I find the message setting ... issue ... to actually be a very major issue. I definitely channel my inner Behemond in those moments.

I am sure the double duke (no more) is now fully appreciative of where he went wrong.

Oh yes, tell me about it. Hey, what are these angry dudes occupying my lands for? Oh, another vassal managed to ally half of the realm and declare war and is losing and... sigh. Or once again, my half of my council is wounded and dying because no-one bothered to even notify me because that there is a bit of civil war going on. Or hey, you have grandchildren! Or hey, there is a new Pope. Or... sigh. I feel the same.

And at least, Gaufrid has now plenty of time to reflect on his mistakes :D

The Popes shall yet rue the Normans all the more. Now they are taking over Crusades, what happens next? :D

A Crusade for Valencia, and your sister may well receive a crown for it... It would be nice to have a second kingdom spreading the Hautevilles.

"Yes, yes, we all bleed for the suffering that the pilgrims endure in the Holy Land. But have you been to Barcelona in the springtime? It's gorgeous!"

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Another kingdom for the Normans would be a welcome sight. Perhaps it will be inherited at some future time too, hmmmm?

First Crusade

Bohemond donned his new coat. Impressive deep black, with a white cross over it. It felt smooth and comfortable and most of all, badass. Then, he put on his brand new helmet. He now felt like a true crusader. All was ready, apart from having to win one crusade as well.

1601659727735.png

Looks are important if you're crusading

The Norman forces gathered in Sardinia. Shortest distance from Iberia and one extra bonus- forces of the Amirid Emirate just happened to be on the island. Not many of them, just 1000 soldiers or so, but it was a good target-practice. Even better, the constant wars had managed to deplete the Amirid treasury and as a result, the soldiers were demoralized. While Bohemond did not mind a challenge, he did not mind an easy victory. 44 Normans were killed, while the entire Amirid army was finally off the payroll of Emir Ali II. Bohemond was not certain Ali appreciated the gesture though.

1601659763599.png

First battle of the war

Then, it was time to sail to Holy Land. Well, to Somewhat Holy Land, where Jesus nor his apostles never set their feet upon. Still, it was filled with heathens and killing heathens pleases God, therefore it was good anyway. Normans landed in Denia, near the Papal forces. The Pope had gone all out and had more than 6000 soldiers there. Both his personal armies and mercenaries, hired from the endless coffers of the Pope.

1601659825000.png

To the boats! Papal forces in upper right corner

The Normans arrived in August 1100 and in November, the castle fell. Bohemond became a proper crusader, known for his dedication of slaying Pagans far and wide.

1601659900279.png

Deus Vult indeed!

Then, the Normans marched south, to Alacant, while the main Papal forces and rest of the crusaders continued northwards. Bohemond felt he needed some space.

At the same time, Muslims had been organizing their armies, and at the beginning of the new year, an impressive Muslim coalition consisting of over 8500 soldiers from 11 different rulers entered the field. Bohemond ordered to assault the castle and marched northwards, while the Papal Coalition, more then 10 000 in strength, marched to meet the enemy in battle.

1601659922337.png

As Bohemond assaults, the greatest battle of the war is about to start

When Bohemond reached Valencia, the battle was already well over. The enemy had been kicked back and were doing a final defense when the Norman forces arrived, hitting them in the back and delivering a coup-de-grace. Berthold of Swabia, the commander of the coalition, was an impressive man, knowledgeable in battle and one of the finest knights in Europe. An equal to Bohemond and both hit right off.

1601660042848.png

Berthold, one of the finest knights in Europe

Then, Bohemond was forced to join Ugo, courtier of the Kaiser Adalbert, recently disembarked, but more then willing to battle, in defeating a small enemy army in Teruel. Fortunately, it was small, for the young Ugo had rushed on like an idiot, wanting glory and not caring about his losses. It was only numerioric superiority that saved Normans from the worst.

1601660074870.png

Ugo and Teruel

The next enemy army was at Albarracin, against one smaller enemy army, again led by said Ugo. Bohemond was not a fan of the lad, but decided to keep his mouth shut and try to keep the Normans out of harm's way.

1601660097864.png

The bane of Organizer trait- first in, even if you aren't that much of a leader

Then, there were more sieges. Bohemond kept his troops more or less safe and did not engage in other battles, preferring to siege quietly and not take orders from others. Rightly so, the enemies were splintered, unable to mount any resistance and the Normans left hunting for others.

1601660233654.png

Muhammad lost all but his shirt

It was over in February 1102.

1601660347326.png

While Bohemond got quite the loot

Royal Matters

In June 1100, Muriella was born to Bohemond and Mernissa. Again, time for celebration. It seems like the King and Queen had no problem producing children. If they continued that way, they would have a problem of too many children instead.

1601659856243.png

One more daughter

In September 1101, Normans discovered household soldiers. Meaning, Bohemond could make bigger man-at-arms regiments and get a few more if needed. Showing a gradual decline of the importance of levies and the rise of small, but professional armies.

1601660141926.png

More soldiers

Also in September, Archbishop Hamelin was caught with his pants down. Literally. The Holy Father apparently decided to hold a very special mass for his servants and the rest of the world just failed to understand the pure intentions of the holy man. Unfortunately for him, Bohemond was amongst these who misunderstood.

1601660174521.png

Ehh, Hamelin. Catholism was doing quite well. Thanks a lot.

Queen Griselda

“Your Highness,” Bohemond bowed deeply as the Queen disembarked from the ship in Valencia.

As a reply, Griselda grabbed her hat and threw it to his brother’s face. Then, she stormed off and hugged him. “Brother dear,” she said. “I’m glad you’re all-right”

Bohemond smiled and hugged her back. “I trust the journey wasn’t too exhausting?”

“Too long,” replied Griselda. “I can’t wait to get started!”

Then, she held her brother at an arm’s length, looked deeply into his eyes and said “Thank you, Bohemond.”

Bohemond smiled. “Few would be as suitable as you for the role,” he replied. “I know you will do well, sister.”

“I have my doubts,” said Griselda. “But I shall do my best.”

“You’re a Hauteville,” said Bohemond, encouraging his sister. “You shall do well.”

“Now, let me show you to the castle,” he said. “Your castle, my little Queen Sister”

Griselda laughed. Then, she took Bohemond’s hand. “Let us walk,” she said.

Bohemond nodded. Like back in childhood, brother and sister walked hand in hand. Just now, they were King of Sicily and Queen of Valencia. To each other, they were still Bo and Gri.

Next morning, it was Bohemond’s turn to board the ships. Feeling a proper hangover from the feast, the King sailed back to his home. Last thing he saw was not so little Gri, standing in the parapets, waving. The King waved back and wished his sister the best.

1601660383672.png

Queen Griselda and his son and heir, Bohemond

Attachments

• 1601660315407.png
    1601660315407.png
    1,3 MB · Views: 0
A successful Crusade, and an embarrsing priest - situation normal for House Hauteville :)

And not just a successful crusade, but the looks of it a profitable one. Perhaps one should go crusading again one day :D