• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, here we go. Modern day equivalent of going to Vegas and waking up in the morning, hungoverish and head of the new religion. :D
Pretty Norman thing, i think.

And as for you all wondering why I had modded Christianity to allow warmongering instead of Pursuit of Power that does pretty much the same, then two reasons:
1. You allow me to take Ritual Cannibalism, but no warmongering? Seriously? Bah! :p
2. The offensive war penalty is offensive to me. Instead of thought-out system like war exhaustion in EU, we get some random modifier that just ticks, no matter how much of my or vassal's forces I use, no matter how well or bad I am doing and so on. Basically, random modifier I have no control over, designed to just curb my expansion. Warmongering removes this penalty. Therefore, warmongering it is. Plus, this is a pretty Norman tenent as well. As Norman as it gets, i'd say :D

I'm happy to inspire, feel free to steal it all you want. :D And Coptic eh? I like that. While being Protestant myself, I wrote my master thesis in modern history on the Copts. :D I came over a simple analogy on the difference between Coptic and Chalcedonian Christianity. Copts believe the two natures of Christ is like wine and water in a bottle; impossible to discern from each other. Chalcedonian Christianity (that is Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant etc btw) see it like water and oil. Separate, but still in one bottle.

That is an interesting choice for the master thesis, i'd say. And that is one really good comparison. At least I understood the difference pretty well.
Just, the differences seem to be mostly... well, minor.

This schism though... will be a bit different :p

Smooth move slipping out of the mad Pope's grasp and finding a sane Pope in Sinder. Time to add Rome to your collection of great cities.

Sane-ish. What sane Pole does not grant Normans right to attack Rome?
Well, fixed now.

Honestly a reasonable reaction to the Roman Pope's antics. Coptic shall spread throughout your kingdom, spicing up the religious landscape a bit more in Europe.

Reasonable reaction indeed. Just... the Coptic future might not be so bright as you'd expect :p

Well I am certainly chuckling reading this.

Drogo is doing a pretty job of ensuring he is not in anyone's shadow :)

Glad to hear it.
And a pretty good job ensuring no-one stands between god and him as well, i'd say.

Be honest, you converted to Coptic first just to get more gold from that Pope before forming Norman Christianity.

What, more heresy? Poor Coptic Pope, so close to having his faith become mainstream. Bet he regrets one or two things now...

Head of the Catholic Church

The first thing the newly founded Church of Norman Christianity did was to try out their new powers of Duchy conquest- and declared war on Pope- with the single goal- taking the heart of the Catholic lands, one of the most invested in the area in Europe, heart of the former Empire.

1606946311951.png

The heart of Papacy, the City of Rome...

As the Normans, they gathered in Napoli. First army, meaning man-at-arms, knights and mercenaries, marched to Capua to put the province under siege while the other army continued gathering. In March, the Papal force of 14 000 appeared in a direct path to attack Drogo and friends. Apparently, the Papal army was divided into two. About 10 000 of the Pope's own forces and 4000 of mercenaries and Templars, kept apart nicely.

News of the Norman reinforcements approaching caused the main army to change their mind and march elsewhere. The Templar-mercenary force did not apparently get the memo and kept on marching.

In the beginning of April, the Norman main army and the Papal lost troops clashed. Led by Emmanuelle of the Company of the Star, a well-known general, they were nothing to scoff at. And nothing, compared to Drogo.

1606946375338.png

Main army, marching off. Mercenary army, marching in

Then, Norman reinforcements arrived and it was suddenly 15 000 versus 4000. The rest of the Papal army turned around though and marched to the rescue. They were a bit too fast though. Just a bit. Normans were almost done with Emmanuelle’s army when the reinforcements arrived.

It was still an uneven fight. The Papal armies were without practice. After all, before the last crusade, when the Papal force arrived just in time to take glory of the last siege, the last time they had seen any action was in the Crusade for Scotland. As for mercenaries- you cannot be a good mercenary if you don’t have any troops left, so their fighting style involves running away when things do really seem to be going the other way. The Templars were the only ones with good fight left in them. This was not enough. The Papal army tasted defeat in the fields outside Capua.

1606946412158.png

Now, everyone is here!

This was different from other battles for Normans as well. First, it was Bossano of Pisa, an Italian Doge, who was the first amongst the Normans to find his inner beast and go bananas in the battlefield. First berserker of Norman Christianity, as the 52-year old man ripped the head of a mercenary knight clean off in a fit of rage. Then, screamed raised his sword, all bloody, and charged where the enemy was the thickest.

1606946489227.png

From peaceful Doge to crazed berserker

This was not the only difference though. The Battle of Capua was the first battle in Norman history when women rode the battle, equal to men. And proved that the title “weaker sex” did not apply if the member of the weaker sex happened to be a Hauteville. Drogo’s daughter, Mernissa, slew 45 of the enemies and his beloved Queen, Sibyl, bagged 42.

1606946466953.png

The new knights in their first battle

The Pope was bloodied, but not defeated. The Papal forces retreated northwards, and Normans followed after the siege was finished- until the Norman army reached the city of Rome. The magnificent walls, built by an Emperor called Aurelianus, almost a thousand years ago, still protected the city. And were still as tough nut to crack as they were at the height of the Empire. So, Drogo decided to leave all his siege weapons and around 5000 of his levies behind, under the competent command of Countess Eugenia of Napoli and marched North himself.

The Papal army, headed apparently for Pisa, changed course and marched to the lands of Tuscany instead, trying to avoid the Normans. Drogo was not having any of that- he ordered his men to pursue. In August 1172, two armies met in Cortona. The Papal forces outnumbered Normans by about 1500, but as we know, numbers are not everything. For example, Normans had Tancred, the Court Chaplain, in his 60-ies, who ripped the head off of Mayor Galeazzo. “Now, that is theology I can get behind,” said Drogo. Also, the Normans won.

1606946550951.png

Another victory

1606946581246.png

Meet Tancred, the most learned berserker in Europe

Meanwhile, the siege of Roma proceeded. Slowly. The supplies of the city were starting to empty. The diseases run rampant. Walls were showing off cracks. But the city still held on, showing no signs of giving up in near future. Drogo said hi and marched southwards.

1606946606735.png

The siege of Rome and Countess Eugenia, leading the siege

In November, Drogo caught up with the Papal forces again. This time in Alife, in the south. Before the battle, the Papal army was nearly 6000 strong. After, it was little over 2000 left. Like snow in the spring, the Papal army was melting. As a bonus, yet another mercenary party hired by the Pope arrived just after the battle. Just when the Normans were still warmed up, but the enemy was already retreating. Normans achieved yet another victory, and yet another mercenary company needed some time to recover.

1606946639329.png

Papal forces getting kicked, reinforcements getting slaughtered

The Papal forces fled northwards again. Again, Drogo hot on their tail. The enemy decided to go on offensive and besiege Pisa, but this did not turn out to be the best of ideas. In February 1173, Normans caught up with the enemy and this time, there was no Papal army left after the war. Combined army of Papal forces, Templars and mercenaries, being 14 000 just a year before, was wiped completely. Also, Sibyl ripped the head off of Mayor Baldassare and also became a berserker. “So hot, my Queen,” said the King when she embraced Sibyl, still covered in blood and led her to his tent for some private time.

1606946798128.png

End of the Papal Army

1606946762259.png

Sibyl, I did not know you had it in you...

Drogo then marched his army towards Rome, where the siege was still ongoing. In April 1173, he stumbled upon a freshly recruited mercenary army in Paterno and wiped them out. Few days later, the same happened in Vaticano. Italy was running out of mercenaries, fast. After that, Drogo joined Eugenia in the siege of Rome.

1606946826298.png

Some more small mercenary bands, finding their unfortunate end

No walls, no matter how mighty, can hold on forever. Especially when the defenders are losing their hearts. Eugenia had done a fine job. The city was starving, diseased, the walls had been breached in several locations and the loss of all Papal armies meant that there was no help coming- and the defenders knew it.

In June 1173, King Drogo met with the City Council of Rome. In secrecy, for the Pope had refused surrender and told the Normans that the “Proud Romans will defend their beloved Pope to the last man.”

Turned out that the proud Romans couldn't really count, for there were still plenty of men left, but the Pope was left undefended, as the Romans opened their city gates and let the Normans in. The deal was simple- anything secular would not be touched by the Normans. Anything else was free-for-all. And since the assets of the church fell into anything else category, Drogo was fine with it.

The City of Cities had fallen...

Royal Matters

One of the first things Drogo did was to release his former wife, Aubrey, from prison. After all, adultery was no longer a criminal act and no real reason in keeping her in prison no more. As for Yefemia, the first wife- the decades of imprisonment had really rattled her brains. She had gone absolutely bananas and filled her side of the room with pictures of Drogo, being killed in various interesting ways and drafts of contracts with the Devil in order to make the pictures make happen. Drogo thought it was safer to keep her there.

1606946270267.png

One ex-wife got out, the other... it was best for everyone to keep her locked up

Also, Drogo asked Gerbert to reconsider about his disdain for Normanism. Seeing that he was all alone, following the old ways, the nephew finally saw the light and converted too. Anfroi, the other Duke not converted, still preferred the old way though.

1606946347535.png

Anfroi, causing trouble

Aubrey became of age in May 1172, becoming somewhat proficient at managing a county. Drogo decided to marry him off to a Doukas. No, not the Basileous part of the family. More to head of the mercenary group called Normans of Dregnot, currently in Drogo’s service, part of the family. In addition, young Pavlos was easy on the eye, quite quick and actually half-Hauteville already.

1606946515275.png

Aubrey getting married to a Norman Doukas

In December 1172, Bohemond, brother of Drogo, ended his life as was good and proper. The Duke of Granada was only 63 years old, but he had grown tired of life and as a good Norman Christian, he decided to depart from this world and enter the other, better one. He said his good-byes, he hugged his loved ones and then, he departed.

Though Drogo knew and understood why, the loss of Bohemond was a heavy one. The King drank a cup to his brother’s memory. Then another. Then another. Until he had drunk himself to sweet oblivion. And the King tended to do that every time he remembered his dear brother.

1606946724474.png

Death of his brother, sending Drogo to drinking spree

As for Duchy of Granada- this was a first test of equal inheritance. The eldest child of Bohemond inherited the Duchy title. This was Griselda, a daughter of Bohemond. Married to Count Oswyn of Alcaniz, vassal of Bohemond, King of Valencia. Incidentally, Griselda was also the mother-in-law of Drogo, for she was the mother of Sibyl. How will this turn out? One shall have to wait and see. At least, the Duchess accepted Norman Christianity without a doubt.

1606946676444.png

This will create some problems in the future for sure. Also, hello mother-in-law. Hello, father-in-law and wife-fucker!

The fall of Rome took Gregorius VII by surprise. Even bigger surprise was the fact that his personal guard was not as interested in dieing in the name of the Pope as one would think. Seeing the city surrendering made them do something very logical- removing their uniforms and trying to look as secular as possible. Instead of thinking up daring escape plans for the Pope and sacrificing themselves to make the plans a success, everyone else seemed to follow suit.

So, when the Normans finally reached Aposteolic Palace, it was almost deserted. The Normans found the Pope, hiding under his very own bed and dragged him out, screaming and kicking. He was stripped of all his valuables and brought in front of the King.

Drogo looked at the sad sack that was one of the most powerful men in Europe just a year ago. Now, a sobbing pile of shit, afraid to even look at the King.

“Oh, how the mighty have fallen,” said Drogo. “Hello, sisterfucker. You asked and we came. Though not as how you imagined. And we will not be leaving.”

The Pope still could not get a word out.

“As for you,” Drogo continued. “You will also not be leaving. At least your head will not- for it will be put on pike in front of the Aposteolic palace and kept there until it rots away”

Gregorius now screamed and then, tried to crawl towards the King, pleading for his life, but without avail. Strong hands held the Pope in place, while someone went and fetched a meat cutting block from the kitchen. Still sobbing and pleading, the Pope’s head was forced upon it. The executioner bared the Papal neck and with one swift cut, separated the head from the body.

One final scream pierced the air and then, the dream of Gregorius VII, the implementation of the Divine Dynasty to rule over Europe, ended on the bloodied square in front of his palace. Instead, his legacy consisted of creating the biggest threat to all Catholic countries- Normans with a Holy Cause.

Then, the head of the Head of all Catholics was put on a pike, as promised. For all to see where one ends up if he decides to dabble in a little bit of incest and delusions of grandeur.

1606946859607.png

He thought to establish a weird dynastic papacy, where incest is allowed. Instead, he forced Normans to create their own religion and released them upon Europe

Holy See reacted surprisingly quickly. New Pope was elected within just a few hours. Looks like Drogo managed to speed up the election process considerably. Leo X, an English Pope, with no known sisters, was the new one. Sadistic and vengeful, true. But also, chaste. Something that Catholics really needed.

First order of business for the new Pope was the most unpleasant one. Peace with the Normans. The Papacy was not kicked out of just Rome, but from the entire Latinum, forcing Leo X to move his seat to Orbitello in Tuscany. Drogo also claimed the title of Duke of Latinum to himself.

1606946921021.png

Leo X, the sadistic and vengeful one. At least, this one is chaste and without sisters. Also, a new hope for the Papacy

In one swift war, the Papacy lost their heart.

To add insult to injury, Drogo did not deem the freshy taken Duchy important enough to keep to himself. Even worse. The Aposteolic Palace was now home to Duchess Mernissa, the favorite daughter of Drogo.

Female butt sat on the Papal throne. Female slept in Papal bed (though that was actually not that rare of occasion, female in Papal bed usually meant that there would not be much sleeping) and it was a female who, for the first time in known history, oversaw the city of Rome.

It was also for the first time Drogo could grant the title directly to her daughter, not for future-duke-in-proxy.

1606946982457.png

Mernissa, the Duchess of Latinum

As for the head of the head of the Catholic church, it dangled upon a pike for a long-long time. All the flesh was rotten off, the pike had to be replaced a few times, but the skull remained there for centuries as a simple warning to everyone “Do not mess with the Normans. And refrain from incest.”

I thought conquest of Rome was punishment enough for the Pope, but capturing poor Gregorius after the siege of Rome was too good of an opportunity to miss up. So, allow me to present one headless Pope and the Norman Rome. No ransom is comparable to the beheading of the Pope, after all.

Also, Drogo is married to a berserker.

And the female rulers will create interesting results for sure.

Be honest, you converted to Coptic first just to get more gold from that Pope before forming Norman Christianity.

Nah. That was just an added bonus. Converted to Coptic to get their holy sites when creating Norman Christianity. :D

What, more heresy? Poor Coptic Pope, so close to having his faith become mainstream. Bet he regrets one or two things now...

What do you mean heresy? You wanted to say "one true faith", right? Or should I start looking for some fuel to the fire? :D
And yes, for a few days, the poor Sinder was the most powerful Christian Pope. I guess he is not happy.

Meanwhile, I imagine the new Norman Catholics can be expecting a Crusade or two in the future. Can Coptics do Crusades? The Normans are tough sure but Crusades from both sides would be a pain.

Oh yes, I fully expect the Crusades to come. Just, I've timed the conversion quite well- the previous crusade had just finished, so there is few decades of time before that happens. Most likely not Drogo's problem no more.
And no crusades for the Copts, unfortunately. But they're not as scary anyway. Can muster about 10 000 or so soldiers.

I thought conquest of Rome was punishment enough for the Pope, but capturing poor Gregorius after the siege of Rome was too good of an opportunity to miss up. So, allow me to present one headless Pope and the Norman Rome. No ransom is comparable to the beheading of the Pope, after all.

Also, Drogo is married to a berserker.

And the female rulers will create interesting results for sure.

Nah. That was just an added bonus. Converted to Coptic to get their holy sites when creating Norman Christianity. :D

What do you mean heresy? You wanted to say "one true faith", right? Or should I start looking for some fuel to the fire? :D
And yes, for a few days, the poor Sinder was the most powerful Christian Pope. I guess he is not happy.

Oh yes, I fully expect the Crusades to come. Just, I've timed the conversion quite well- the previous crusade had just finished, so there is few decades of time before that happens. Most likely not Drogo's problem no more.
And no crusades for the Copts, unfortunately. But they're not as scary anyway. Can muster about 10 000 or so soldiers.
One wonders if the Byzantines will take issue with Drogo's new take on Christianity.

You know, with Rome, Jerusalem, and Alexandria in hand.... the Normans could, in two wars minimum, Mend the Schism in their favor. Possibly even before the next Crusade fires. Now wouldn't that be something?

Reactions:
A fitting end to a foolish Pope who forever changed the balance of faith in Europe.

You know, with Rome, Jerusalem, and Alexandria in hand.... the Normans could, in two wars minimum, Mend the Schism in their favor. Possibly even before the next Crusade fires. Now wouldn't that be something?
This is too good of an opportunity to pass up.

Down the Nile
Down the Nile

Duke Anfroi, the Serial Heretic

While the higher nobility of the Kingdom of Sicily (or the Hautevilles) had no problem adapting to Norman Christianity, the peasantry and lower nobility were not as flexible. The new ways, with women wearing the cloth and holding sermons and priests getting married instead of fornicating in secrecy and all that were too much for a lowly peasant.

Unrest was mounting everywhere in the Kingdom. Unrest like the Normans have yet to see. From Rome to Africa to Jerusalem to Sicily herself. Everywhere, the peasants gathered and plotted treason and rebellion. That was not so bad. Peasants, after all. Just, they recently had selected a figurehead.

Duke Anfroi of Gabes, still Catholic. Now, the only high noble within the Kingdom who still held on to the old faith.

1607035092419.png

Anfroi, figurehead of the peasant catholic revolution

Drogo was not even sure if it was collusion on the good Duke’s part or was it just peasants automatically decided that since the Duke is Catholic, he must lead them to victory. The King did not care too much as well.

“Anfroi, convert, please,” he told the Duke.

“I’m too old and set in my ways,” said the Duke, who back in his younger days, during the time of Bohemond, had no problem converting to Lollardism and loll about the lands of Gabes.

1607035041118.png

Anfroi the Lollard, back in his younger days

Now, more than three decades later, it was Drogo who faced the same issue.

Fortunately for him, Bohemond had already shown the solution as well. Easier this time too- no need to travel to Gabes. Instead, the soldiers nabbed several times the heretic Duke from the middle of the Council meeting and dragged him to the very same room they did back in Bohemond’s time.

1607035146895.png

Here we go again...

“Gaufrid’s cell,” said the King to the imprisoned Duke.

“You are familiar with it, I presume?” the King paid no heed to his ex-wife, Yefemia, who had retreated into a corner, crawled to a ball and started uttering some sort of curse towards the King.

Anfroi just nodded. He indeed got a strong sense of deja vu from this one.

“The good news is that you are 63 already. You most likely will suffer as long as Gaufrid did,” the King continued, with a sly grin.

Then, acknowledging his ex-wife for the first time, “And there is another bit of good news. You will not be alone in here,” she pointed towards Yefemia, who dropped mid-curse and scurried to another corner, where she began anew.

“Though I think you’ll not find the pleasure of her company to be not as much as was in her glory days,” Drogo eyed the Queen without emotion.

Anfroi was shocked: “You cannot keep me with this crazy woman, Sire!”

Drogo shrugged, indifferently. “You know full well it is in your hands, Anfroi."

The Duke sighed, heavily “You indeed are your father’s son, you know.”

“Why, thank you,” smiled Drogo

The Duke sighed again. “Oh well, have it your way. I shall convert to your faith.”

Drogo beamed. “As I expected, dear Anfroi!”

He held out his hand. “Shall we go downstairs, dear cousin?”

The Duke just nodded.

“No hard feelings, I hope?” the King added.

Anfroi shook his head. “None, sire.” Then, after thinking a bit, he added. “Some, sire. Nothing major”

“Good,” smiled Drogo. “Then, you can be my Marshal again.”

And for the second time in his long life, Anfroi, the Heretic Duke, marched down the stairs of Gaufrid’s dungeon a converted man.

1607035180759.png

Anfroi, going through his third conversion

The revolters, having lost their figurehead, lost their will to fight and disbanded. It was most likely a temporary relief though, for Norman Christianity did not really sit well on some of the people who also happened to be proud owners of pitchforks.

Succession Issues

Another thing Drogo had to deal with was succession. With Norman Christianity believing in equality amongst the male and female, it was reflected on the succession laws as well. Meaning, suddenly, the realm of Sicily was about to be torn apart once again- with young Paul receiving a few counties, rest of them being divided amongst her sisters. Apart from Mernissa, who already got the jackpot- Duchy of Latinum.

There would be Duchies for everyone, sure. But these things take time. And Alison already had a Duchy, but granted to her husband, Gegel of Tlemcen. Of course it did not count.

1607035212500.png

Sicily, divided between Paul and his sisters

Though Drogo was still healthy, he was already at his 50-ies, so the King decided not to risk it. In June 1173, the King re-instituted Male Preference Laws to the Kingdom of Sicily. None opposed.

Once again, young Paul would inherit everything. As is good and proper.

1607035237950.png

Don't worry, daughters, you shall still get your duchies

Down the Nile

In June 1173, Drogo turned attention to his really temporary religious brothers down south. The Jukondarid Emirate, northernmost of the Coptic states, was also a first step towards the Coptic Holy Sites in Aksum and Napata, down in the south.

Though the Jukondarids had grown, reaching the Red Sea, Sinai and even Arabian peninsula, they were still no match to the Normans.

1607035262279.png

Jukondarids, reaching far and wide

Drogo gathered his forces in Cairo and marched south along the Nile, besieging and capturing enemy castles in progress. It was swift and quite boring. By October, the Norman forces had reached Asyut and were about to siege the province when news arrived- enemy forces had taken the Red Sea route, were currently landing in Sinai and apparently, heading towards Cairo.

So, Drogo dropped the siege and marched north again. On 14th of December, the Norman army and Jukondarid one met outside Cairo. Drogo caught them in the most favorable time- still fresh from the landing. And though Jukondarid army had a small numeric superiority, it was mostly levies, while the Norman forces were only about a fifth of levies.

Long story short, Normans completely destroyed the Jukondarid army. Also, Normans had two fresh head-rippers. Price Adelard of Delta, son of King of Bohemia and Duke Amri of Kroumerie.

1607035359854.png

This went about as well as it could have

Then, Drogo marched back south, took the fortress of Asyut and in February 1174, the Jukondarids were forced to give up their lands.

The entire fertile valley of the Nile, up to the First Cataract, now belongs to the Normans. Namely, Princess Hermine.

Well, almost. Apparently, Count Adnan ibn Pangiros of Ushmun did not get the message and stayed in power, refusing to move from his holdings. “These are my lands and none shall take them from me,” he claimed.

1607035401110.png

One stubborn count

“Look, a heretic!” claimed Drogo and tried to revoke the title. Adnan refused. In March 1174, Drogo started another war in the valley of Nile, in order to take the final county.

There was only one way the war could go. Normans just happened to have an army nearby. The puny force of Adnan was cut down, the castle was put under siege and in May 1174, mere two month after the start of the war, it was over. To Adnan, the main difference was that instead of becoming a homeless wanderer, he was provided food and a place to sleep in the dungeons of Drogo.

1607035606609.png

His final day as a count

Drogo usurped the Duchy of Al-Said from the Jukondardids and handed the county of Ushmun, along the title of Duchess, to her daughter. Now, the entire valley of the Nile, from delta to the first cataract, belongs to the Normans. Fayyum doesn’t count, right?

1607035627524.png

Hermine, Mistress of the Upper Egypt

Royal Matters

In August 1173, Tancred became of age. The boy became quite a schemer, but otherwise, nothing really stood out. Young Duke was married to Adelin, from the Hauteville-Granada branch.

1607035288146.png

Tancred, all grown up

In September 1173, Drogo’s fascination with hoardings finally paid off. Now, the Normans could build new, improved castles and the first one built was of course in Palermo- and Jerusalem. As for Drogo, now that he knew how to build good, sturdy castles, the next logical question was of course on how to tear them down. So, he became fascinated with trebuchets.

1607035307505.png

How to build better castles. Next in line- how to destroy better castles

In March 1174, Adelard of Bohemia, Duke of the Delta and a fresh berserker, created his very own branch of the Hautevilles, called Hauteville-Faqus. “Loyal as the Unicorn” was his house motto. Since unicorns are mythical creatures with unknown loyalty, it raised several questions about how loyal the Duke actually was, but this was an academic question, for Drogo knew for sure the Duke was damn loyal.

1607035426434.png

Just how loyal are the unicorns anyway?

Just a year after his brief imprisonment, Duke Anfroi of Gabes finally took his last breath at the age of 64 in March 1174. During his life, Anfroi was a Catholic, then a Lollard, then Catholic again and finally, Norman Christian. He was also a good Marshal, a good friend and legendary general, who won Drogo a battle against the main force of Arslan back in the day.

His daughter, Millicent, took over as the Duchess. Apparently, she had dabbled into somewhere Anfroi had not had time to look into- the new Duchess was an Adamite. Drogo asked for her conversion, but the Duchess just had to go and ask for a favor. The King agreed, with a heavy heart.

1607035502978.png

This will bite me in the ass, right?

As for the Council, Drogo needed a new Marshal. And found out that the best Marshal is actually his old Chancellor, Amri, Duke of Kroumerie. Who was happy to accept a position where he could smash heads instead of smooching. The smooching part now fell to Mernissa, Duchess of Latinum and daughter of Drogo.

1607035452729.png

Death of Anfroi and the new, improved Council

March 1174 was a busy month. Young Paul turned out to be quite a brawler. Young toddler was looking for trouble, left and right.

1607035482095.png

Paul is growing up the right way

In April 1174, Basileus Michael VIII of the Byzanties died at the age of 67. He had ruled from 1127, meaning he held the helm of the Empire for almost half a century. During his time, he expanded the Empire, regaining some lands lost centuries ago and also, conquering places the Romans never had gone before. He also lost two wars against Normans, one against Bohemond, the other against Drogo. Both resulted in complete annihilation of Byzantine military. His son, Konstantinos XII, took over. A good knight, but also a coward. This also mean that the truce in place between Michal VIII and Drogo was null and void.

1607035530162.png

New Basileus. No truce no more.

Missionary Work

King Torgils of Jerusalem, proud owner of the Duchy of Negev, was a Christian on the edge. Edge of the Christian world, that is. And the closest Catholic country was in Italy. Not particularly strong, the King of Jerusalem (without the city of Jerusalem). All alone, the King of Jerusalem.

When in May 1174, Drogo asked Torgils to convert to Norman Christianity, he jumped on it, thus becoming the first independent ruler to join the happy warmongering Norman faith. There was much rejoicing.

1607035661926.png

Welcome to the fold, toy king

Even though the Jukondarid war was anything but a challenge, there was a lot going on. And the Conquer Duchy CB seems to have some interesting, albeit brief, side effects.

And look at Anfroi. From importer of Lollardy to defender of the Catholic faith to fresh convert of Norman Christianity before finally giving it a rest.

One wonders if the Byzantines will take issue with Drogo's new take on Christianity.

Well, can we just say that the Orthodox is hostile, the old Basileus just died and therefore the truce has expired. The question is rather, does Drogo take some issue with the Romans... :p

That is a fair point, you know. I can actually get Constantinople- and i'm planning to do so in the future. And indeed, it can be done with two wars.
But that would rob be from the joy of beating the entire Europe when they come crusading on my door! Think of how epic this war could be- Normans versus Europe.

I shall mend it, not just yet.

A fitting end to a foolish Pope who forever changed the balance of faith in Europe.

That is a fair, albeit a bit neutral description. A Pope who messed up life for Catholics in more ways then one would be a bit better :D

Catching up on the last few parts, which are wildly entertaining. I have to say, even for a de Hauteville Drogo's approach to religion seems a little... instrumental, shall we say. Hard to say that the late Pope wasn't courting disaster, though.

A dash of hypocrisy from Drogo changing the succession laws, but worst things have been done to keep the passing of titles as you've needed them. Perhaps Paul will change them back, as he'll have to time to choose the best heir among his children.

Anfroi should be getting his fair share of parts in Shakespearean plays I think.

Holy Antioch!
Holy Antioch!

In May 1174, Drogo delivered a coronation gift to the new Basileus. A whole army of Normans, coming to take the whole Kingdom of Syria. And liberating Antioch, a Holy Site of Norman Christianity, from the heretic hands in process.

It was a good time, for Basileus was not currently involved in any wars, meaning he can turn all of his attention to Drogo and Normans.

1607176189493.png

Holy Antioch, here we come!

The war started with Drogo raising three armies. One main army, with all the man-at-arms and two additional, levy-based armies. All of these were raised in territory of Jerusalem and all of them crossed the border to the North. At first, two armies dealt with the Byzantine-controlled final Jerusalem Duchy, sieging Acre and Tiberias.

Acre was the first to fall and the main force moved on to Damascus, where the rebels just happened to besiege the province. Four and a half thousand of them, all levies, with the leader that had managed to stay in debt for a decade. How he managed that is unclear, even more uncleared was why the peasants followed such a man, but there they were, deep in debt, out of supplies. Normans had much easier time then usual wiping them out. Then, since it is a shame to let a perfectly good siege go to waste, took over and Damascus fell with a few days.

1607176228985.png

The most debt-ridden revolting peasants ever

The Romans reacted much quicker then expected. In October, there were reports of a large force, over 11 000 soldiers, landing in Acre.

1607176267993.png

The Romans are sailing in!

Drogo consolidated his forces, marching his main army and the third army to Tiberias. Byzantines, who now amounted to nearly 19 000, were in hot pursuit. The fortress did not hold out though, and fell a few days before the relief force arrived. Of course, that did not stop the relief force. Their reinforcements arrived constantly as well and in the end, there were nearly 23 000 Romans versus nearly 14 000 Normans.

Long story short, in the glorious Battle of Tiberias, Normans ploughed through the enemy forces, leaving over 10 000 Byzantines dead on the field, the rest running for their lives and with as little as 1000 Normans lost. Again, the generalship of Drogo and the quality of Norman troops meant that no Byzantine soldier was a match for the Normans.

1607176363562.png

Outnumbered? Insignificant!

Meanwhile, Normans went and took Beiru, while in March 1175, the remnants of Byzantine army returned, trying to re-take Damascus. They were not only slightly less paid, but also bit undersupplied and demoralized from the previous battle. Led by Basileus himself, who also wasn’t the best of generals. This time, the forces were just about even, but again, Normans versus the Byzantines.. you get the drift. Once again, Konstantinos lost about half his army while the rest fled.

1607176443889.png

Romans, coming like lemmings

This was a turning point. A week later, Basileus signed a peace, leaving the entire Kingdom of Syria in capable Norman hands. With this, the Byzantine presence in Levant was seriously reduced. They still held one Duchy in Jerusalem and a few provinces in Egypt.

1607176478996.png

Byzantium, once again losing Levant

Also, the Holy Site of Antioch was now safely in Norman hands. And suddenly, Drogo became an even better general.

Royal Matters

In November 1174, Millicent, the fresh Duchess of Gabes, used her hook on Drogo to become a marshal. Drogo could not fire the woman for 25 years as well. Just, she was not marshal-material. At least not in the Hauteville Kingdom, where councillors were expected to be really-really excellent.

1607176295745.png

At least she did not aspire to be a steward

Since the Duchess left her no other choice, King Drogo was forced to take an alternative approach to the HR politics of the Kingdom. It was simple: No person, no problem.

1607176335994.png

Alternative approach to HR

Eleanor became 16 also in November. That child did not grow up only great. She became one of the finest military minds in the Norman lands.

1607176412270.png

This is one military genius of a daughter

Dividing the Plunder

Now that Drogo had the Kingdom of Syria, liberated from all of their previous occupants, the main question was: what do we do with this thing?

First one to get something was Aubrey, daughter of the King. She received Duchies of Antioch and Aleppo, a total of six counties.

1607176513581.png

The Proud Duchess

Then, there was Rayner. Son of Anfroi of Gabes, sister of the current Duchess, Millicent. He received the Duchy of Edessa and also, the County of Suhkna, the other part of the Duchy still held by Muslim remnants. It total, five provinces.

1607176539797.png

The pretty Duke

Herman de Nantes, son of Count Turstin of Awjila, with not much prospects on his own, received the Duchy of Lebanon and also, the County of Hama. In total, three provinces.

1607177095127.png

The Plain Duke

Finally, there was Duchy of Damascus. Another 4-province Duchy. This was given to Aveis de Hauteville, daughter of Eugenia Guidechi-Napoli and Armand, grandson of Bohemond.

1607177124681.png

The warrior Duchess

In total, Drogo gave away 18 provinces in a day. Seeing that back in the day, Robert Guiscard started with 10, of what he directly controlled 2, the Normans had come far indeed.

One short episode about defeating Byzantine Empire.
I love when they come to the field of battle to meet me. Makes things much more easier for me.

Also, wanted to give Antioch to Bohemond, but apparently, there weren't any around...

Catching up on the last few parts, which are wildly entertaining. I have to say, even for a de Hauteville Drogo's approach to religion seems a little... instrumental, shall we say. Hard to say that the late Pope wasn't courting disaster, though.

What? There is none as devout as Drogo! This is all baseless slander! The assumption that the King uses religion as an excuse to expand his territory is unheard of!

And yes, the Pope really really had it coming.

A dash of hypocrisy from Drogo changing the succession laws, but worst things have been done to keep the passing of titles as you've needed them. Perhaps Paul will change them back, as he'll have to time to choose the best heir among his children.

Retaining core lands is critical for the success of the Hautevilles, so no action is too hypocritical.
Better not risk it.

Anfroi should be getting his fair share of parts in Shakespearean plays I think.

Not to mention the fact that the man had his own 12-year old nephew killed in order to inherit the Duchy in the first place- and he also killed his wife. Unfortunately, I found out about this after Paradox did the good thing and implemented murder count.

A kingdom in one war! You'll be dealing with more than the Greek at this rate.

Hello all!
Due to pace of my real life picking up and also due to Cyberpunk being finally released, I shall be putting this on hold until Christmas or so.
See you during the holidays! :D

A kingdom in one war! You'll be dealing with more than the Greek at this rate.

I'll be dealing with the entire world soon enough :D
Distributing the titles is kind of annoying though afterwards.