• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We've been considering expanding the province modifiers for v0.2. (v0.1 is gonna come out on Sunday)

Some ideas we have so far are Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood being turned into a Cetic temple and New York City's subway system being flooded with rumors of sea monsters dwelling there (reference to sewer gators).

The sea monsters thing could be interesting for the occultists as well, since part of their religion is based on the Old Ones from Lovecraft, and the sea monsters rings a bell : the Deep Ones from the Mythos. Maybe there should be an event, a specific casus belli or even an event to seek thoses monstres, like the Hunt the White Deer chain of event

The sea monsters thing could be interesting for the occultists as well, since part of their religion is based on the Old Ones from Lovecraft, and the sea monsters rings a bell : the Deep Ones from the Mythos. Maybe there should be an event, a specific casus belli or even an event to seek thoses monstres, like the Hunt the White Deer chain of event
On that subject, another idea could be to remake bear events/portraits into Deep Ones for an Innsmouth-inspired supernatural event chain for the occultists.

About the presidency. I did some work on the issue and the good news is that we, apparently, don't need to destroy the title for things to work.

The only real hickup is in Run for President decision. The AI just doesn't take it. EVER. I honestly don't know why, I got rid of all conditions and prereqs and still, not even one hit.

The player can take the decision, sure, but since there is only one candidate he wins automatically.

I will do some more debugging with logs, maybe I will find something I missed before.
Unless anyone has idea how to fix this.

About the presidency. I did some work on the issue and the good news is that we, apparently, don't need to destroy the title for things to work.

The only real hickup is in Run for President decision. The AI just doesn't take it. EVER. I honestly don't know why, I got rid of all conditions and prereqs and still, not even one hit.

The player can take the decision, sure, but since there is only one candidate he wins automatically.

I will do some more debugging with logs, maybe I will find something I missed before.

Hum if it really doesn't work you could as well do it in an event. When a President die, you have an event popping asking weither or not you want to run, then ponder the probabilities according to traits or whatever.

It's kinda shitty but if it doesn't work that's always a possibility

We just fixed it - the Presidency is now a duke-level title, and you can only run for President if you are either independent or if your liege is above the rank of Duke. Now, everything works as it should.

Minor issue but the Mormon religion keeps saying that your vassal as been elected to the College of Cardinals but it should say Quorum of the 12 Apostles.
That's a minor issue with localization - it shouldn't affect anything gameplay-wise. Still, we'll try to look into it before release - we might not get around to fixing it, though.

Last Dev Diary before release!

Good tidings, all!

As you all know, v0.1 of the After the End Fan Fork is set to release tomorrow at 12:30 PM! We've just finished fixing the last major bugs related to presidential elections, and we're really happy with the way things turned out for this version. That being said, we did include a few new major features that we wanted to officially outline before the mod's release.

The first thing you'll probably notice is that Deitschrei is now a de jure kingdom.
ENiaC8M.jpg

We made this change because the whole "titular title" set-up was a little messy and we wanted to properly represent the IRL cultural divisions between East and West Pennsylvania in the game. We also spit up the duchy of West Susquehana into West Susquehana and "The Wilds", so that the de jure split would look less awkward.
xmPo2b4.jpg

Huge shoutout to /u/TacticalStrategy from Reddit - he was the one who gave us the idea to do this in the first place, and he provided the name and flag for the new Duchy of Wilds.

The Channel Islands are also now part of their own de jure duchy.
KX30Trn.jpg

This is supposed to help Captain Jeremy Marx stay independent for a little longer. It's also a convenient place for a merchant republic in SoCal, should the king ever decide that he wants to hold Los Angeles directly...

We've also added [a new independent Jewish ruler to the county of Grande Ligne in Montreal. It's ruled by one Meshulim fun Tash, and Grande Ligne itself gets renamed to the County of Kiryas Tosh if held by a Yiddish ruler.
ao6cLTA.jpg

This lets us segue nicely into the other major change that we've made - unique names for counties and titles!

The first thing we'd like to draw attention to is that Americanist rulers are no longer called "Counts", "Dukes", or "Kings". Instead, they get called Majors, Colonels, and Generals. There's also a special title for Emperors, but I'll let you find that one yourself.
OAWp6QN.jpg
t0bfMEQ.jpg

The ruler of the Airmen still gets called a General. We figured that changing this might make some people upset, so we didn't do it. Also, every single county and many barony-level holdings in the Northeast now have unique Deitsch names - huge shoutout to Wat Tambor from our Discord server for helping us out with this!

As for personal names, rulers from various East Asian-style cultures, such as Chino and Calaotian, now have their family names displayed before their personal names. (This also applies to characters from Japan, of course.)
jXNGM53.jpg

EZJnoJv.jpg

The final major change that we've made is to the way Americanist elections work - the Presidency is now a duke-level title rather than a count-level title. Paradox changed some things behind the scenes that prevented count-level titles from being deactivated properly, which screwed up the entire election event. We changed the Presidency title to accommodate this. Also, you can only run for president if you're either an independent ruler or the vassal of a King or Emperor. (By the way, opinion polls work properly now - you won't get "0 votes" for every single candidate now.)

Those are all the major changes we've made to the game since the last dev diary. Of course, there have been a lot of more minor changes - you can now ask for a blacksmith using the new JD decision rather than waiting for a random event, and we've added two Deitsch/Anabaptist counties to Mexico to represent the Mennonite community there.
i012bwV.jpg

LVz8Lo4.jpg

Also, we have of course fixed a lot of bugs - one example is that Brethren rulers are now the only people who will actually gain piety for tumbling with a courtier.

Just as a reminder, we will be posting the download link for the mod right here tomorrow at 12:30 PM EST. We're still waiting on word from the original devs for a Steam release, but I'm hoping that we can get that done soon.

Again, thank you guys so much for your continued support!

Last edited:
jXNGM53.jpg
Why does the child have Iberian Portrait instead of Chinese one in the screenshot?
Child portraits are a little weird in AtE - he has an Iberian portrait because the Chino culture is in the Mexicano culture group, even though the Chino culture uses Chinese portraits. However, when that child becomes an adult, he will have a Chinese portrait.

I thought both Nepali adults and children get Tibetan portraits despite being in the Indo-Aryan culture group.

I thought both Nepali adults and children get Tibetan portraits despite being in the Indo-Aryan culture group.
Graphical cultures work differently in AtE than they do in vanilla - rather than every culture having one portrait and one portrait only, the portraits of randomly-generated characters are instead determined using a special diversity event. To put it simply, each culture has a different chance of getting different kinds of ethnic portrait - for example, a randomly-generated Gothamite won't always show up as white, but might show up as black, brown, or even Asian. Cultures along the West Coast have a higher chance of getting Asian portraits than other cultures, Afro-Anglo cultures are set up so most characters are black but some are brown or occasionally even white, etc etc. It's one of the most technically impressive parts of the original mod, to be honest.

The side effect of this system is that certain things, like child portraits, can get a little weird as a result.

Some completely random thoughts:

Delewarians seem to all be wearing crowns, from courtiers to counts to kings. Is this intentional or a bug?

Are Antinomians the "have sex and kill in the streets" types of Antinomians, or are they the liberty-driven free-thinking Antinomians? If the latter, would it be appropriate for them to be able to intermarry with Americanists?

I'd just like to say that changing the names of "khagan" and "khan" to "sheriff" and "lawman" is probably one of the best changes I've seen done to this mod. Triple thumbs up, it immerses the crap out of me.

In one of @Georgus's compatibility patches, he made Atomicists have a religious head (the already existing prince-bishop of Los Alamos), do you guys intend on implementing this to the fan fork?

Looks amazing, really looking forward to playing the mod with all the new improvements!

Edit: Speaking of Georgus' Atomicist change, it could alternatively be set up as an Atomicist heresy present in Los Alamos and the surrounding area. The religious head and maybe monastic feudalism would separate it from regular Atomicists, and they are well-suited to becoming the main branch of Atomicism due to their higher moral authority and religious spread into the remaining Atomicist areas. The adventurer in NW Mexico could also belong to this branch, with his expedition be sponsored by Los Alamos.

Regular Atomicist uprisings would remain as the regular, "unorganized" faith, without a religious head. The Russian invasion's faith could also plausibly remain as regular unaffiliated Atomicists.

Last edited:
Amazing work there folks, will definitely be excited to play some more of this excellent mod, much sooner than i'd initially expected anyways!

Two questions though.

12:30 PM in what time zone?

Any plans regarding a New native religion in the far northwest? It seems strange to have the rulers around the hudson bay worship a faith that was founded west of the rockies, and having the Mi'kmaq and innu be brethren loses them a lot of native-related events, which is only made sadder by the fact that they start with some inland brethren provinces (not much swashbuckling and seafaring to be done without a coastline). Having a seperate religion that makes more sense lore/gameplay-wise would be pretty neat (not to say that it's a priority, just wondering if it's been suggested).

Are Antinomians the "have sex and kill in the streets" types of Antinomians, or are they the liberty-driven free-thinking Antinomians? If the latter, would it be appropriate for them to be able to intermarry with Americanists?

I'd imagine it's a little bit of both, with a small core of free-thinking intellectuals who are generally outnumbered by the hoi polloi attracted to the "there are no rules" aspect (though the really badly-behaved ones are likely a bit of a minority as well). Unfortunately, it's probably the latter set that tends to get most of (what passes for) the press, as it ever is with heresies and other marginalized subcultures.

As a fan of After the End, I'll be following this along as well. Glad to see the mod's still got a pulse.

I'd just like to say that changing the names of "khagan" and "khan" to "sheriff" and "lawman" is probably one of the best changes I've seen done to this mod. Triple thumbs up, it immerses the crap out of me.

I honestly think "deputy" is better than "lawman" for "khans". Sheriff and deputy go together much more smoothly.

Is the mod going to be on steam?
Last Dev Diary before release!

i012bwV.jpg

Just as a reminder, we will be posting the download link for the mod right here tomorrow at 12:30 PM EST. We're still waiting on word from the original devs for a Steam release, but I'm hoping that we can get that done soon.

Again, thank you guys so much for your continued support!