• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Rensslaer

Strategy GuidAAR
49 Badges
Jun 24, 2004
www.orinthia.net
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Victoria 2 Beta
Af-Khan-I-Stan:
The Insular Khanate

afghanistan.jpg

Welcome to the land of Afghanistan -- or Af Khan i Stan as I believe it would once have been said and interpreted. The land of the Afghans. But I believe also it must have at one time referred to the Khans. These points of ancient history are sometimes obscure.

The version will be VIP 0.4B. This is my first VIP game, and I'm looking forward to trying it out! Settings are middlish or normal (I figure I'll be lucky to survive in any case, why make it harder than it has to be?!).

This will be a mostly gameplay sort of AAR, with an occasional delving into history book style. I think rarely if ever will I use narrative, which is my forte (but which takes time!).

The inspiration for the mood and feel of this game (and the rather dense fog of war, so to speak) is found in Peter Hopkirk's The Great Game, in which he describes a very insular and not very coherent government structure. They were (and will be) aware of little beyond their own borders, and not quite understanding the concept of a nation-state as opposed to warlords of various strengths and stature.

Surrounding powers the Afghan leaders recognize include Bukhara to the north, Khiva yet further to the north, Kokand to the northeast, Kashgar far to the east through the Khyber Pass, and Punjab and Kalat to the south.

af1.jpg

While these powers, which surround the territories of the Afghan warlords on 3 frontiers, are generally of equal or lesser strength and of occasional concern, the Kashgaris have caused the second-most worry because of the assistance they sometimes get from a powerful land to the east which supports them (China).

Then there are the Persians. If an Afghan leader wakes up in the night with an ill omen of defeat, it is usually the Persians of whom they dream.

As for the other powers of the world, they are very obscure. On rare occasions a very powerful warlord from the far north has sent an expedition to trouble the Afghan people (as well as the Bukharans and Khivans), but the idiots lost enormous numbers of men because they were not prepared for the harsh conditions during winter in the Pamir Mountains. Why they were not smart enough to travel during the summer is a mystery lost to us. But twice they have come. And twice they have died.

There is another powerful warlord with delusional boasts of having control over half the lands of the world. They appear occasionally on trade missions or diplomatic missions from the south, where they are based, in a place called India. Supposedly, they follow a woman they call "Empress" or "Queen", which is patently absurd. These are madmen.

af0.jpg

Mostly, Afghans worry about their neighbors the Persians. We are of a blood, in many ways, with the Persians. But we are an independent mountainous people, and we do not wish to be part of their vast, glorious empire. We shall have to be wary, as we build an empire from the neighboring warlords, lest we incur the wrath of the Persians and face a true threat to our existance. Then again, perhaps the Persians will be useful at times.

Temporary alliances are the way of the Afghans. Whatever serves our purposes shall be. And only so long as.

Conquest is the ultimate goal. Isn't it always? But unity between the Afghan tribes must be achieved first. Happily, unity will often come if we have an external threat to unify us. I will be happy to find some for us.

I have played a vanilla Vicky game as Afghanistan before (part of one) and seemed to have been very fortunate. Whether I can repeat that in VIP I do not know. I reserve the right to scrap the VIP game after a while and go back to the other if I feel it's likely to end in a horrible death by the 1850s. :D I don't mind losing my country, but... I will have to see if I have the fortitude to lose it utterly and still write about it! :rolleyes:

I will have pictures for you once I have time to edit them.

Thanks everybody!

Rensslaer

EDIT: Added pics, and corrected some silly geographical mistakes that I made simply because Prussia never made it to Central Asia! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You know you still have TWO AARs to finish, right? ;)

Looks good, though I would think Afghanistan would be hard enough under vanilla. VIP seems like it makes it harder for unciv minors. Good luck, and I'll be watching.

As regards crashing and burning, it will be entertaining for your readers, to say the least.

Ha, first comment. :cool:

Rensslaer said:
Welcome to the land of Afghanistan -- or Af Khan i Stan as I believe it would once have been said and interpreted. The land of the Afghans. But I believe also it must have at one time referred to the Khans. These points of ancient history are sometimes obscure.

:wacko: Oh man.. you'll be busy..
I wish you strength! :D

Good luck with Afghanistan, and all that that entails. :)

fj44 said:
You know you still have TWO AARs to finish, right? ;)
Yes, well... :rolleyes:

Castles is more or less on hold until I finish Fire Warms, which won't be more than 2-3 months.

This will be a project I will play and write upon during the 2-4 hours I sometimes take after my wife goes to bed. Not a whole lot of time, but it keeps me occupied. I've been wanting to do this ever since I read Hopkirk's book.

Rensslaer

Rensslaer said:
Yes, well... :rolleyes:

Castles is more or less on hold until I finish Fire Warms, which won't be more than 2-3 months.

This will be a project I will play and write upon during the 2-4 hours I sometimes take after my wife goes to bed. Not a whole lot of time, but it keeps me occupied. I've been wanting to do this ever since I read Hopkirk's book.

Rensslaer
Very well. If you start slacking off, we'll be noisy and obnoxious. :p

Can't wait for you to start this thing. It should be good. :)

You, sir, are a little nutty. However, this should be good. I recall Afghanistan had a great manpower base when I conquered them as Persia. Always wanted to try a game as them. Good luck!

Aargh! Nooo! ANOTHER RensselAAR (sorry, couldn't resist). And I can't even make myself START on Fire Warms... It's just so... so... BIG... Frankly, its sheer size is intimidating.

I just left a happy message in Castles in the Sky about being up to date on one of your AARs (the inactive one) and you have to go and start a new one! :rolleyes:

Well, I'll try to follow this one from the beginning, maybe that way I'll be able to keep up.

I like the choice of country and the insular perspective, it should make for an interesting game. :)

There is another powerful warlord with delusional boasts of having control over half the lands of the world. They appear occasionally on trade missions or diplomatic missions from the south, where they are based, in a place called India. Supposedly, they follow a woman they call "Empress" or "Queen", which is patently absurd. These are madmen.
I remember once reading a book about the Great Game (maybe the same book as you've read, I don't remember). Specifically I remember a description of some local two-bit Khan (Lord of two huts, five goats and a flintlock rifle or so), who, when meeting British envoys, suggested that Queen Elizabeth ought to submit to his power, since clearly he was a more powerful ruler than this upstart ruler from some piddlywink island. :)

Definitely he is a madman - but whether this is for starting another AAR or playing this particular country I won't comment ;) I liked the playing around with perceptions.

Northern lands, took me from 10 in the morning till 3 at night to finish. And that was when it was around 65 pages :rofl: but truly! Its not that hard!

Ren, can you promise me something? Your my favirete authour, but your 2 other AARS besides Prussia always seem to be strange nations! Next AAR you make, can you make it a normal country again? Like france, or Sardina? :D Much obliged!

But I will be following this!

Note: I have edited the first post, above, to insert pics, which should give you a better sense of the lay of the land in and around Afghanistan.

The military forces of the region are controlled, mostly, by regional warlords.

The foremost among these is an ambitious and visionary man named Dost Mohammed. Dost is, frankly, smarter than the other rival leaders of Afghanistan and the surrounding lands. He also has the region's only cavalry, which gives him the upper hand.

AfArmies.jpg

Threat-wise, Dost must consider the armies in Bukhara -- sizeable! -- and in Kokand. There is also an army in Kashgar, but they rarely venture this far.

But that's not where it ends. There is intense tribal and personal rivalry betwen Dost Mohammed and the various other Khans and Shahs that populate Afghanistan itself. While it's difficult to imitate this in Victoria, you should remain aware that it will color the text of the story, if not the screens!

The people of Afghanistan are of a wide mixture of ethnicities, which generally causes much friction -- Pashtuns, Uzbeks, Tajiks, and Hazara, among others.

people.jpg

They are a rich and powerful people, accustomed to warfare, and very proud. They are most proud of their village, and their tribe. But Dost Mohammed feels he can bind them into one force to be reckoned with.

Certainly if they can manage to transfer that loyalty to something supra-village and supra-tribal, a people not to be understimated!

Like I said, a good population base. That helps a lot. I'll be interested to see how you handle the tribal influence you suggested. That ought to make it a little harder to present a combined front against common enemies.

Looks good thus far. One thing I noticed from your screenshots is that the majority of your people are liberal. So, my question is: are you overtaxing them just to stay in the black? :p

I actually played a multiplayer game with my brother, taking unciv minors. He had Siam, and I had Afghanistan. That country has potential, and the only requisite is patience.

fj44 said:
Looks good thus far. One thing I noticed from your screenshots is that the majority of your people are liberal. So, my question is: are you overtaxing them just to stay in the black? :p

I actually played a multiplayer game with my brother, taking unciv minors. He had Siam, and I had Afghanistan. That country has potential, and the only requisite is patience.
Very good! Very interesting.

As for the political opinions of the population, I would more likely suspect a nation of 95% libertarians!!! :rofl: Like herding cats!!!

Renss

Rensslaer said:
...But Dost Mohammed feels he can bind them into one force to be reckoned with.
that should not be a problem. :wacko: :D

Rensslaer said:

As for the political opinions of the population, I would more likely suspect a nation of 95% libertarians!!! :rofl: Like herding cats!!!

Renss

Simple. Just a lump of cheese in the direction you want them to go! Or a live mouse as you prefer.

Rensslaer said:

Renss
:rofl:

You know, I just used that phrase today. :p

They should be conservative. Well, this will certainly make the AAR interesting. :D