• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thought I'd post and say how much I'm enjoying your aar so far.

btw Did you know that Dost means friend? I hope he will be spreading his freindship to nearby lands soon. ;)

Renss, besides the counter-intuitive liberal character of the Afghan populace, I noticed something else: your country's religion is Sunni, but 100 % of the population is Shia? Or am I reading that screenshot incorrectly?

I see how it will be hard to model competing factions within a state in Victoria. You could, of course, vastly overtax everyone and use the resulting revolts to simulate the different warlords fighting each other. But that would not make for a fun game to play.

Anyway, looking forward to see where you'll take this.

Just saw this Renss, my apologies on being late. Interesting choice you've made, I wish you luck. Based on how well you're doing as Prussia in Fire Warms I expect nothing less than an Afghani Asia. :p

Stuyvesant said:
Renss, besides the counter-intuitive liberal character of the Afghan populace, I noticed something else: your country's religion is Sunni, but 100 % of the population is Shia? Or am I reading that screenshot incorrectly?

I see how it will be hard to model competing factions within a state in Victoria. You could, of course, vastly overtax everyone and use the resulting revolts to simulate the different warlords fighting each other. But that would not make for a fun game to play.

You could also make nasty revolt events, just to keep things interesting. :D

Stuyvesant said:
:rofl: Nope, you're right!!! I don't know why that would be... Or if it even matters in the scope of the game. ((shrugs)) :rolleyes:

Stuyvesant said:

Well, thank you! I played for a little while the other night, and happened upon a perfect way to make the factions apparent. I'm looking forward to having time to write in the first war... and the first internal conflicts! :D

Rensslaer

Looking very interesting so far. And yet ANOTHER Rensslaer AAR. Don't you ever sleep? ;)

Rensslaer? Sleep? No, night-time is when he 'works' security, writing the AARs! ;)

*ahem*

Kirk_scream.jpg

KHAAAAAAAAANNN!!

That is all.

Rocketman said:
*ahem*

Kirk_scream.jpg

KHAAAAAAAAANNN!!

That is all.
:D
Now that you've done that, it is a little surprising that it took until page 2 of this AAR for someone to do it ;)

angryclown said:
Now that you've done that, it is a little surprising that it took until page 2 of this AAR for someone to do it ;)
Quite true! :D

BTW... I just got Galactic Civilization II this weekend. No time to play, yet, but... I did notice that the environmental description of a particular "class" of planet was "This IS Ceta Alpha V !!!" :eek: Nice little chuckle.

Rensslaer

I was going to do feedback... But it's late. This will have to wait until tomorrow.

But I do have an update, of sorts! :D

The AfKhanomy
AfKhanomy.jpg

As you can see, the Afghan economy is not the best in the world. There are no "finished" products in any quantity. We have timber, sheep, fruits, grain... and mountains. LOTS of mountains, which are damned HARD to export!

And raising armies in VIP requires finished clothing. And there's plenty else we can't afford to do, either. Manpower is -41 at start, but we need the clothing, in VIP, just to make peasants into soldiers! Makes sense, but we don't have to like it!

We do manage to NOT tax at maximum! And we are even making a small profit.

Nevertheless, if Afghanistan is going to accomplish anything at all (even survive!), we will have to expand to pick up some more territory.

Which is why military spending and army maintenance are top budget priorities. We must earn a name, as a warlord, yes?

And survival seems very much in question when our neighbors start wandering through our territory. First, in ones and twos, but...

Our neighbors -- the ones who claim to be powerful -- are very rude. They seem to think they can wander through our territory and conduct business without permission.

Actually, though, it seems that Dost Mohammed has some connections with the British. Might come in handy... Or it might be an entangling alliance!

BritFwdPolicy.jpg

So one must wonder why Dost's "allies" are treating with Dost's enemies!

Thanks!

Rensslaer

Well you can't trust the British. They will want to 'civilise' you!

Take the civilization and then tell 'em to piss off, I say. ;)

coz1 said:
You, sir, are a little nutty. Good luck!
Yes, well... You knew that! :rolleyes:

Stuyvesant said:
Aargh! Nooo! ANOTHER RensselAAR (sorry, couldn't resist).

And I can't even make myself START on Fire Warms... It's just so... so... BIG... Frankly, its sheer size is intimidating.

I like the choice of country and the insular perspective, it should make for an interesting game. :)

I remember once reading a book about the Great Game (maybe the same book as you've read, I don't remember). Specifically I remember a description of some local two-bit Khan (Lord of two huts, five goats and a flintlock rifle or so), who, when meeting British envoys, suggested that Queen Elizabeth ought to submit to his power, since clearly he was a more powerful ruler than this upstart ruler from some piddlywink island. :)
Re: RensselAAR -- Very funny! :D Re: Size -- Yes, well... That is how it is with Afghanistan, too! We are so big and powerful, that those upstart rulers from piddlywink islands had better not come dirtying our soil!!! :cool: Re: perspective & interesting game -- I agree! I'm looking forward to this, too! I am sure that book was Hopkirk's. Great book!

Iron_Skull said:
Northern lands, took me from 10 in the morning till 3 at night to finish. And that was when it was around 65 pages :rofl: but truly! Its not that hard!
"...and then this Rensselaer guy went & inflicted Elizabeth upon me!!!" :rofl: Thanks for reading, Iron_Skull!

Garuda said:
Thought I'd post and say how much I'm enjoying your aar so far.
Garuda, thank you for dropping by!

RocketKhan -- Yes, the Kirk piece was quite amusing! ;)

Angryclown -- Thank you! And thanks for your readership and support, here, and elsewhere! :) No, I never sleep. I just transition from one job to the other, and imagine I must have slept somewhere in between!

And I apologize for taking so long to give solid feedback! Thank you, FJ44, VILenin, Peter Veenstra, Lifeless, GhostWriter, Sir Humphrey, Stnylan and everybody else for taking the time to provide encouragement!

This should be very fun!

Rensslaer

Rensslaer said:
Quite true! :D

BTW... I just got Galactic Civilization II this weekend. No time to play, yet, but... I did notice that the environmental description of a particular "class" of planet was "This IS Ceta Alpha V !!!" :eek: Nice little chuckle.

Rensslaer

I saw that too and had a bit of a laugh, though I had a devil of a time explaining it to my friend. :rolleyes: Glad to see I'm not the only geek out there who's seen Star Trek. ;)

Ye gads! Are you sure anything can be achieved with such a small resource base? I guess you have to be, otherwise you wouldn't be playing this country, but it sure is hard to believe...

Bring on Dost, and show us what he's capable of!

Rensslaer: As you can see, the Afghan economy is not the best in the world..We must earn a name, as a warlord, yes?

with an economy like that, you don't need an 'uncivil' war! ! :rofl: :rofl:

oh, did you remember to use your starting cash to buy some clothing on the world market on game start-up? ? btw, what was your starting cash? ? :wacko:

lastly, what does your military buildup look like? ? :cool: