• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

the_hdk

Grand Master
87 Badges
Dec 6, 2003
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
Advocati Sancti Sepulchri
History of Kingdom of Jerusalem

Y98VeEX.png

Introduction

Welcome everyone to my AAR. Not my first AAR at this forum but first one in EU4 and first one in years. I’ve had a few in the OT (FM, GPM2) and for CK2 and Vicky and Vicky2 in the past. And maybe more I forgot.

When I saw the extended timeline mod for EU4…and when I noticed the books on the Latin kingdoms in the Outremer by Steven Runciman…it gave me an idea to start an AAR and motivated me to re-read his brilliant books.

Few things before you jump into the AAR. First of all please excuse my English, its far from good and I apologize for it. Further I have modded the game a bit further. I’ve adjusted the names of rulers and the # to represent the correct time in history for most major European countries. So for example we do not get Louis XIV in 12th century. For any changes to the ongoing game for RPG purposes I will try to mention it in the AAR chapters.

Further good to know is I do not follow the rulers created by the game, mostly. Bear with me and let me explain. In game you start with a ruler and sometimes an heir…than the game randomly kills some of them off and generates randomly a new heir…or not and you get a random one. For the purpose of the AAR I will roleplay more. I keep track of the Royal Family and Major Vassals. (In Excel). I randomly give them a date of death and a random chance to have kids. So for example I keep track of the Princes of Galilee and over 100 years (or more depending how far we get) you might not hear a lot of them for the purpose of the AAR but I will have history of all their rulers. Why? Well why not? Let’s say the Royal Family dies out…or like the real Ruling houses in Outremer have lack of male offspring, I might role play a civil war between vassals for a power grab? Or the far cousin of the king might get the crown…or maybe the daughter married a French Duke and he became the King? I do have some rules…if the heir or ruler dies in-game (in battle or hunting accident…I keep that, the death date selected is the date they would have died without accidents…so to say). Well you will see how it works in the AAR.

At some point I will change course from real history but I’m not going to share when.

Try to enjoy, please comment as it gives motivation and do not be too harsh on me

Note: The glass-stained pic I used is from a glass-stained window in the Broodhuis in Brussels.

Below the List of Chapters will be updated:

#1- First Crusade

Last edited:
Y98VeEX.png

Chapter I – The First Crusade

Let therefore hatred depart from among you, let your quarrels end, let wars cease, and let all dissensions and controversies slumber. Enter upon the road to the Holy Sepulchre; wrest that land from the wicked race, and subject it to yourselves ... God has conferred upon you above all nations great glory in arms. Accordingly undertake this journey for the remission of your sins, with the assurance of the imperishable glory of the Kingdom of Heaven.” – Pope Urban II as written by Robert the Monk

Much more than the summary presented by me can be written and should be read of the events that took place in the years 1096-1099 of our Lord the Savior also known as the First Crusade. A movement that was started by the misguided Emperor of the Romans, Alexios of the House Komnenos when he requested help from the west against Seljuk Turks in Anatolia. The Roman Empire was in despair. Since the Battle of Mazikert they still have yet to recover and have gradually been losing ground to the Muslims, Turks in Anatolia and the Fatimids in Syria and Palestine.

In the West, second half of the 11th century saw an increase of power of the Roman Church and the role of the Pope in Rome as the supreme leader of Christians. In the east the Roman patriarch was just one of the big five next to Patriarchs in Alexandria, Antioch, Constantinople and Jerusalem. Following the Schism between Rome and Constantinople in 1054 the relation between West and East have not improved. Despite that Pope Urban II saw a chance to restore the diplomacy and maybe cure the schism and also to redirect the violence in Europe to an outside source and responded to the pleas of the Greeks.

Council of Clermont

pdzMFDj.jpeg

On 27 November the Council of Clermont took place where Pope Urban II held a sermon to an enormous group of people including much of French nobility and clergy. The speech focused on the necessity of helping the Roman Empire in the East and to reclaim lands in name of Christians in the East with the ultimate goal of reconquering of Jerusalam in name of Jesus. The council was a huge success and the Age of Crusades was born.

The Road to Jerusalem

Following the recruitment of great lords, knights, peasants and clergy the different armies departed from Europe to the Holy Land. Their first stop was Constantinople as their first goal was to help the Greeks. The great leaders of the first crusade led each their own army. The Italo-Normans ware led by Bohemond of Taranto, son of Robert the Fox of Apulia. The Lorraine army was led by Godfrey of Bouillon, Duke of Lower Lorraine. The Provencal army was led by Count of Toulouse, Raymond IV and English Normans ware led by the eldest son of William the Conqueror, Duke Robert of Normandy. The Roman Emperor Alexius made the crusaders swear fealty and promise to return conquered lands to the Greeks. And he levied the armies over the Bosporus to Asia Minor.

The first success of the First Crusade was the reconquest of Nicaea for the Empire. The Crusaders sieged the city together with the Greeks and beat the army of Seljuk Kilij Arslan. The Crusaders ware forbidden from looting but ware compensated by the Greeks for their losses and lost plunder. The crusaders split again into two armies, Norman and French led and moved through Anatolia to Syria. On their way they fought off the Seljuk Turks in multiple skirmishes but ware otherwise unopposed.

Conquest of Antioch

The first city to be reconquered by the armies of Jesus, was Antioch, the ancient Greek city and the cradle of Christianity located on the Orontes river in Syria. A major city that was the location of the one of the patriarchs of the Christian world. The city was considered almost impregnable with it’s huge walls and it was impossible for the crusaders to surround it completely.

WTzMIte.png

The siege saw many crusaders die of starvation and the Seljuks of Syria and Aleppo sent armies to relive the siege but ware both beaten. The success of the first crusade was due to the disunity and mistrust in the Muslim world. The infighting between the Seljuk turks and against Fatimids in Egypt made the conquest possible. In the End, the Norman Prince, Bohemond working together with Armenian local population entered the city and claimed it as his own. The first Latin Principality in the Outremer was born. The Principality of Antioch. The rest of the crusaders left in 1099 on their road to Jerusalem.

Kingdom of Heaven

The crusaders turned south on to Jerusalem that they reached on 7th of June on 1099. The final piece of the crusade within their grasp. After a heave siege and many losses the army of Jesus entered Jerusalem and liberated it from the heathen hold. *1

yFZ0h8f.png

Following the conquest of the most holy city a council was held in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre where Godwin of Boullion was elected the new secular leader and took the title of Advocatus Sancti Sepulchri (Defender of the Holy Sepulchre). In reality the Kingdom of Jerusalem was born and Godwin became its first ruler. The election of Godwin made the Raymond and his Provencal army dissatisfied as he also desired the crown. He later returned north to conquer the third Outremer Principality in Tripoli.

Most of the crusaders saw their vows as fulfilled and returned home. The Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem was born but left behind around many enemies with little defense.

Notes:
*1 -The crusading armies massacred most of the Muslim and Jewish population although it has been exeggareted by later historians.

- I have omitted to mention the People’s Crusade as although interesting it did not add much to the short summary.
- As you notice, I’m deliberately not very positive of the Greeks in line with Latin propaganda.
- I have also not mentioned the conquests of Baldwin and Tancred as that will come in future chapters.

Good start! Let's see how Jerusalem does...

• 1Like
Reactions: