• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
LLywelyn said:
Am I the only reader who came into this AAR expecting to see him using a huge pile of awesome new events no one else was allowed to copy?

God, I've been around here too long,
j.

I guess I haven't been around here long enough cause I am confused...

I haven't ever played CK, but that is an intriguing idea for an AAR. Maybe after this WC and one more I have in mind and after 1.2 comes out of course another ridiculous WC with all the fixes they put in to make it harder... and then there's that Magna Mundi mod which looks exceedingly interesting. And then after playing with that maybe 1.3 will be out... yeah could be a bit before I get around to CK.

Oh yeah Corbett that reminds me, the truce with Swahili was up somewhere in that last update, and so I DoWed. Luckily they were allied with the Mamluks, so both the Mamluks and Swahili are now reduced to 1 province each.

Oh and spies give +3% revolt risk I found out. I sent a couple to those isolated provinces in the middle of my empire, in the hopes that they'd revolt and join me. But the stupid province revolted from GB and became Hesse. :(

At least they are reformed, so when Gov tech 25 comes around (at 24 atm) Deus Vult will mean the end of their ambitions of independence. God wills it!

Primus Inter Pa said:
IIRC they have something like 6 and I have 24. :D Plus my 6 shock, 6 fire generals.
Those do tend to help things, don’t they?

Guy named Crook. Wrote an insane number of events for EU2 and then wouldn't let anybody use them claiming copyright law. :)

Primus Inter Pa said:
I haven't ever played CK, but that is an intriguing idea for an AAR. Maybe after

You could do the same thing with EU3; it's just there's a little less personality to the pontiffs, yknow what with the stars and all being about it.

j.

1661-1664: The End

So peace is secured for a few weeks... until,

447532202_c5bb11ed6e_o.jpg

I didn't have any troops on the border so it took a fair bit to get them into position. A mistake. :(

I declared war on Mali too, since the truce was up and I had a CB somehow or other,

447532206_1b4b14f395_o.jpg

With the annexation of Mali, my pagan provinces in central inland Africa have a land connection to Rome, so missionaries take less than have the time! Wootz!

447532210_0b6dfcf26e_o.jpg

Kazakh declares just then, breaking the truce... err, ok...

Their ally Al Koyunlu comes along,

447532208_dabb1d88e6_o.jpg

A battle in Kazakh,

447532212_d3913d0f8d_o.jpg

And with that the seemingly never-ending Kazakh army is finally destroyed,

I send a white peace offer, because I don't want to fight them. I just want to let my WE go down,

447532216_c52250525b_o.jpg

I send another the next month... again rejected.

So 5 months later, after all my sieges have triggered, I take a 98% WS peace instead,

447537118_06bad9ec08_o.jpg

Go go peace AI!

Is Borat running Kazakhstan? :eek:

This Papal States game, a retrospective

So I just finished reading the 1.2 patch notes... verrrry interesting.

Reignking (post 35) from the main patch discussion thread said, "Biggest change, IMO: the cost of colonists drops from 50 to 20."

I quite agree, and if you take a gander back at the beginning of my AAR, you'd notice how huge that would have been. I would have had so much less inflation, and would have been able to colonize so much faster.

But back to this game. Yes, it's over because of 1.2. But still, it's a papal states WC. I don't think there's any doubt about that given the 130+ years left, the massive armies, and the explosive expansion in the past 17. (On a side note, could any mods out there add "(a WC)" to the title?)

What are the lessons?

In retrospect, I managed the economy as well as I could I suppose in the beginning. The big thing I didn't understand was how "freeminting" works. Now I doubt my inflation would have hit 13 in the beginning - just using this freeminting would have reduced it to 10 or even less.

Also, I annexed without cores a lot in the beginning, which is a terribly inefficient way to expand in terms of BB. It may have been necessary, as I explained at the time since I didn't have the spare cash to build up relations, but I can't help but think that I should have vassalized and diplo-annexed a bit more. I think it would have sped up that initial expansion tremendously.

And also, an idea from Rensslaer's Milan AAR - I was eager to diplo-annex all my vassals as fast as possible. But why? Why not use my BB to gain new provinces from other nations, in addition to those vassals? My vassals continue to help me with wars, they continue to pay me, and every year I leave them as my vassals my chance to diplo-annex increases and therefore so too does the cost to diplo-annex them decrease.

All this talk of managing BB and vassals so as to expand super quickly perhaps gets its greatest expression (at least that I've seen) in Zeppelin's Burgundy AAR.

Also, Rennslaer's Milan AAR is inspiring in another respect: his early use of navy. In Victoria, the key strategy was to completely and utterly ignore the navy in favor of the army until such time as your economy was insane, and you got ships that gave troop bombardment bonuses, at which time you built a huge unstoppable flotilla all in one go.

But an early fleet of Galleys would have been incredibly useful, and do-able, in my papal states game. Combine that with the 100 naval tradition admiral that is easy to get from exploring, and I could have dominated the mediterranean quite early and quite cheaply. That would have enabled me to vassalize and take Milan much earlier, have faster troop movement via transports, and blockade much earlier, which speeds up sieges quite noticably. Also, my lack of immediately diplo-annexing would have played into this, as I'd have the formidable navies of Sicily and Savoy to back me up.

Another thing is innovative versus narrowminded - tech costs really do not matter past a certain point. And those extra colonists, in the long term, would more than make up for any slower tech gain.

I think my general strategy- expand as fast as possible militarily staying under the BB limit while colonizing and building the economy into a behemoth is the best for WC. Then, once you have an insane economy, highest possible tech, insane military, +3 stability, say to hell with BB and burst out onto the world, turboannexing everything in sight.

Also, since one optimally stays at about 15 BB at all times, and since one needs NI slots for rich colonies, trade is still pretty much worthless with this strategy. But given the relative cheapness of stability for small countries, a hybrid trade/colonization start, later switching those two trade NIs over to colonial NIs might work well actually. I'll consider it for next game.

(Ack, now that I look at it, 15 BB = -15 foreign compete chance, which is as much +compete chance as you get from both trading NIs. Yeah, trade is worthless for this strat.)

I should be starting another 1.2 WC coming up here in a while. It will be on VH, rather than normal as this game has been. Haven't quite decided what country to play yet. The smaller, the poorer, the more technologically backward the better, as long as WC is still possible.

Last edited:
So it has ended... *sigh*

But next time we can only hope that paradox will not release a patch before you have completed writing your next AAR. :D
(no, seriusly... paradox do whatever it takes to improve the game even further)

;(

:kmek: