Adding custom deposits, planet modifiers & custom buildings

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HMS Enterprize

On loan to the C.S Navy
26 Badges
Jun 21, 2004
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Iron Cross
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Darkest Hour
Ive been looking at other mods and trying to work out how to get custom deposits, planet modifiers & custom buildings into the game. This is to mod the planet earth for a human faction.

Ive added a 'palace' deposit to the mod folder in the file 05_starting_deposits in a similar fashion to the existing first in the file eg: Scandanavian reclamation. However, the deposit does not appear. What am I missing?

Ive been looking at other mods and trying to work out how to get custom deposits, planet modifiers & custom buildings into the game. This is to mod the planet earth for a human faction.

Ive added a 'palace' deposit to the mod folder in the file 05_starting_deposits in a similar fashion to the existing first in the file eg: Scandanavian reclamation. However, the deposit does not appear. What am I missing?

For a good idea on how to add those I suggest getting Planetary Diversity and its sub-mods. All the things you are looking for are there. :)

For a good idea on how to add those I suggest getting Planetary Diversity and its sub-mods. All the things you are looking for are there. :)
That’s what I’ve been trying to do but I’m obviously missing some important steps.

That may be part of the problem. I’m running a couple of mods & for some reason one takes priority over the other - no idea why.

For example, I defined the size of earth in my mod as 25 but one of the other mods defines it as 18 & that was what was loaded.

That may be part of the problem. I’m running a couple of mods & for some reason one takes priority over the other - no idea why.

For example, I defined the size of earth in my mod as 25 but one of the other mods defines it as 18 & that was what was loaded.
The mod files are loaded top to bottom going by the load order you set in the launcher, but that's mostly only relevant if you overwrite entire files. Only the last version of a file with a specific name will actually end up being used, all other copies of it will be overwritten when the game load things into memory. Or in other words, your mod must be at the very bottom of the load order in the launcher if that's how you're implementing the overwrite, and any other mods that try to also make changes by overwriting the entire file will be disregarded.

That's fine for personal use, but generally not recommended if you're working on something that you want to eventually upload on the workshop - you should overwrite only the specific sol initializer that you're actually making changes to if possible.

The rules regarding the overwriting of those specific elements are (mostly) listed here:

So if you're modding a solar_system_initializer, since it's 'first in only served' according to the wiki, you can copy the specific sol-initializer into a txt document and name the file something like !!_my_new_sol_initializer.txt, and as long as another mod doesn't do the same, your version will be the one that ends up in the game.

]

So if you're modding a solar_system_initializer, since it's 'first in only served' according to the wiki, you can copy the specific sol-initializer into a txt document and name the file something like !!_my_new_sol_initializer.txt, and as long as another mod doesn't do the same, your version will be the one that ends up in the game.
Cool, I’ll try that. So the game will read any custom text file I create?

Thanks for the tip

That worked. I created a custom sol_initialiser and the game read the custom file.

I then created a custom starting deposits file in the deposits folder (mod_05_starting deposits) and made the entry below:
(Existing Scandanavian deposit for reference)

The error log mentions this:
[19:42:15][deposit_type.cpp:283]: Missing name localisation for deposit d_terra_palace
[19:42:15][deposit_type.cpp:287]: Missing description localisation for habitable deposit d_terra_palace

But I havent found where to add these entries yet - assuming this would stop the deposit from forming?

### Terra: Imperial Kyoto Complex
d_terra_palace = {
is_for_colonizable = yes
icon = d_terra_palace
planet_modifier = { planet_crime_add = -2 district_farming_max = 2 district_generator_max = 2 }
drop_weight = {
weight = 0
}
}

# Earth Deposits
d_scandinavian_reclamation_sector = {
is_for_colonizable = yes
icon = d_radioactive_wasteland

planet_modifier = {
district_farming_max = 1
}

drop_weight = {