• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ShelxCNS

Recruit
4 Badges
Nov 17, 2018
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
I've been looking for information but not successful on how to add mechs to the game without using mods. I've tried some of the mods available, but they've changed the gameplay too much for my tastes because all I want to do is add a few chassis with integral double-heat sinks and more available mass (XL engines). All that means in the mechdef and chassisdef files is changing the starting number of heatsinks and free mass, which is very simple. I can do this if I modify an existing mech, but when I try to create a "new" mech by copying the mechdef and chassis files, then giving them new file names (keeping all internal references consistent with the new file names), the game will not load, it just hangs. Searching for answers, I found that one has to modify the MetadataDatabase.db file to add entries for the new mech, and did that as well using SQLite, but still had no success.

So, is anyone able to tell me what I am missing or point me in the direction of a solution? What I am doing should be pretty simple, but I don't know what I am missing. From what I found previously, the changes I made should have worked , but that information was from a while ago and I don't know if it's now out of date due to changes in the game. I can modify an existing mech to give it the attributes I want, the issue is when I try to add a "new" mech so I am not having to replace the old one with the new one, I'd rather have both.

Thank you all

add mechs to the game without using mods

This is the problem - you're trying to reinvent the wheel.

You can try using this simple mod to add your mech designs. Just put it on the /HBS mods folder and put your files on the appropriate subfolders.

Attachments

• MechLab.zip
    896 bytes · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
This is the problem - you're trying to reinvent the wheel.

You can try using this simple mod to add your mech designs. Just put it on the /HBS mods folder and put your files on the appropriate subfolders.
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately the mod did not work - it's not loaded by the game, not listed in the mods menu. I think the files are in the correct locations, as per the README file from HBS.

I found a workaround - I put the appropriate .JSON files into the regular subdirectories, then edited VersionManifest.CSV with the new additions and that appears to be working fine. It means that I'd have to redo that work if there were any more updates, but at least I have it working now. Thanks for the assistance, I appreciate it regardless.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: