Add the Banate of Severin as a march of the Kingdom of Hungary

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Entrone

Captain
Mar 27, 2016
As the title says, it would be good te see the Banate of Severin added to the game, as a march of the Kingdom of Hungary.
The Banate existed for centuries, including between 1444-1526 as a whole and for some 14 years more as a reduced version. While there were quite a few such banates of Hungary along its southern border (like Macsó or Szendrő), this was by far the most stable and longstanding: Banate of Severin
Was founded in the 13th century, initially as anti-bulgarian, the area was conquered from them. Population was sparse at first, but later recovered with Slavs and Wlachs returning and additional Catholic German and Hungarian settlers arrived. In 1429 it was given to the Teutonic Order, but three years later II. Vlad Wallachian voivode conquered most of it. In response, John Hunyadi is appointed as the Ban of Severin in 1439, and conquers it back, eventually defeating and executing II. Vlad and giving the Wallachian throne to a less Ottoman-friendly rival family.
Banate_of_severin.png

The banate, as it was until the Battle of Mohács in 1526, when Hungarian power collapsed. Thereafter the bigger southeastern part came under Wallachian (as Ottoman vassal) juridiction, while the smaller northwestern became the base of the Banate of Karansebes and Lugos, but that was shortlived.

About the country, it should have Catholic state religion and Hungarian primary culture. But only Krassó province should have those, the Wallachian parts should remain Romanian and Orthodox, despite the arrival of settlers. The capital was Severin. While the Banates were a type of autonomous margraviates, with the rulers appointed by the King rather than inherited, in abscence of such mechanism it should be a simple March.

With the current setup it would mean 2 provinces (Severin and Craiova-Oltenia), but 2 more provinces would be welcome: Krassó (24) and Valcea(37), somwhow like this:
HN.png

It would be a substantial improvement for Hungary when the Ottoman Wars kick in, because currently there's not much that keeps the Ottomans from the heartlands. In reality there were a lot of margraviates and forts, which took decades for the Ottomans to conquer one by one.
Also I feel like Southeastern Europe need more tags, the releaseable Bulgarian principalities are another ideas.

I hope the next patch is another big european one, this time covering north to east from Scotland over Scandinavia, Baltic and Poland to Carpathia and Ruthenia. :D

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Most (if not all) of it was pretty much under Wallachian control in the 15th century, I don't think this area should be given to Hungary, at all.

True Hungarian control over this region was over, or contested time to time.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Most (if not all) of it was pretty much under Wallachian control in the 15th century, I don't think this area should be given to Hungary, at all.

True Hungarian control over this region was over, or contested time to time.
The rule of the banate was shaky, no doubt.
Yet, around the start of the game, in 1444 the Banate of Severin was in the form as you can see on the map above, under firm hungarian control,throughout the second half of the 15th century, up until 1526, when it was reduced to Banate of Lugos and Karansebes

Matthias Corvinus' realms (1458-1490):
8S4JHOCCh0kmAj2ZphkoMu_8zJzQtETnft-LFLOCsheI2EsuggP_nGtvrPmih0lNJ8LykqdDzFdwehLT9wdHrWuyig

magyar14901a.jpg

The rule of the banate was shaky, no doubt.
Yet, around the start of the game, in 1444 the Banate of Severin was in the form as you can see on the map above, under firm hungarian control,throughout the second half of the 15th century, up until 1526, when it was reduced to Banate of Lugos and Karansebes

Matthias Corvinus' realms (1458-1490):
8S4JHOCCh0kmAj2ZphkoMu_8zJzQtETnft-LFLOCsheI2EsuggP_nGtvrPmih0lNJ8LykqdDzFdwehLT9wdHrWuyig

magyar14901a.jpg
Wallachia was a fledgling entity at the start of this timeperiod, and always between greater powers like Hungary and the Ottomans. The assumption of Severin and Craiova (basically all of Oltenia) under full Hungarian control (or vassalage) is just as shakey as having Serbia under Ottoman control in 1444.

Point is, Mathias Corvinus' campaigns might have asserted control over the region for a while, but there's nothing pointing towards Hungarian control from the end of the 13th century to 1444.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wallachia was a fledgling entity at the start of this timeperiod, and always between greater powers like Hungary and the Ottomans. The assumption of Severin and Craiova (basically all of Oltenia) under full Hungarian control (or vassalage) is just as shakey as having Serbia under Ottoman control in 1444.

Point is, Mathias Corvinus' campaigns might have asserted control over the region for a while, but there's nothing pointing towards Hungarian control from the end of the 13th century to 1444.
After IV Laszlo's rule, the banate was temporarily forgotten for the 14th century (mainly because it was after the bulgarian threat and before the ottoman).
But as the Ottoman threat was looming the Banate became relevant again, therefore the Knights came in 1429 as reinforcements, and when that plan failed, the Hunyadis took direct control after 1439.
So in 1444 the Banate was standing for years.

Indeed it's not as big of a change, but I feel like one more little tag would give more flavour. Otherwise both Hungary and Wallachia should have missions to integrate it, so this country would likely disappear by 1500 anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I love posts like these, I had no idea about its existence. This province setup is way better than what we have now too, it is far too square in Hungary for my liking. I'd love to see these changes added to the game, and that march would be a nice addition too.

Reactions: