• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mattius

Captain
13 Badges
May 15, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
These are my suggestions for more colonial features to be added. I don't expect everybody to like all of them, and numbers are likely to be unbalanced. I get that some of this is a little odd, and I probably won't stand by all of these.

1. Arm Natives
This option would be placed on the province screen of rival's colonies and allow you to grant the natives in that province the same unit types as you use when they rise up against their colonizers. This would cost (15? 50?) military points. Grants (1?) Power Projection

2. Discourage Settlement
Probably placed near arm natives, decrease the settler chance in a rival colony by (10? 25? 50?) For (five years? One year? Forever?) This would cost administrative points. Grants (1?) Power Projection

3. Harass Shipping
Next to Arm Natives and Discourage Settlement, this would steal some of the colonial maintenance the colonizer spends on growing the colony. Grants (1?) Power Projection

4. Forts
Forts next to uncolonized or partially colonised provinces stop native uprisings in those provinces

5. Contesting Colonies
By sending an army (maybe even a fleet) to a (coastal, perhaps?) province that's being colonized, you have to option to try and seize the colony. This would cause nearby (Not really sure how this would work) fleets and armies of the nation colonizing and the nation seizing the colony to be hostile to one another. During this time the colony is under the control of the aggressor but still has the religion and culture of the colonizer. The colonizer should now move forces to the colony to recapture it. This would be just short of war, and would capture quite well events like the Dutch snatching New Sweden and the English taking New Nederland from the Dutch. I'm sure there are more examples, but these come to mind. This feature is intended to represent small colonial border conflicts and minor incursions. The AI should be extremely reluctant to engage with large fleets and armies.

6. Raise Colonial Militia
Probably most useful when seizing or having a colony seized, this would allow you to gain a few regiments from your colonies to stave off an attack on your colonies.

7. Colonial Entry and Exit Points
These simulate the main ports where colonists leave for and arrive at the New World. I'm not sure how these would be determined, (Important centres of trade and the like should certainly increase the chances) but Colonial Entry Points should slowly gain development when you colonize provinces in their colonial region. This is to simulate the growth of important New World cities like New York, Boston, Havana, Rio de Janeiro, and New Orleans. On the other hand, colonial exit points determine the main ports the colonists are leaving from. They would probably just receive extra trade value and taxes, but they could also increase settler chance. Each nation could receive one colonial exit point per coastal trade node they have land in, and one Entry Point per colonial region/trade company region after a certain amount of provinces in that region is met.

Thanks for reading. To be honest, I'm surprised you made it so far, if you did :D

Reactions:
Upvote 0
I quite like your ideas but I can't imagine how could they possibly be implemented... Especially your idea of low-level colonial conflicts. Now it works in a way of wars between colonial nations in which colonial parents are not necessarily involved. I'm not very happy about it. If I'm not mistaken, some adjustments are planned for 1.13 patch. We shall see.
But your suggestions go even much much further. AI has a binary brain...

Reactions:
I quite like your ideas but I can't imagine how could they possibly be implemented... Especially your idea of low-level colonial conflicts. Now it works in a way of wars between colonial nations in which colonial parents are not necessarily involved. I'm not very happy about it. If I'm not mistaken, some adjustments are planned for 1.13 patch. We shall see.
But your suggestions go even much much further. AI has a binary brain...
I know they're pretty unrealistic, but the Colonial entry and exit points were the things I had the highest hopes for, and they don't seem too bad.

Reactions:
These are my suggestions for more colonial features to be added. I don't expect everybody to like all of them, and numbers are likely to be unbalanced. I get that some of this is a little odd, and I probably won't stand by all of these.

1. Arm Natives
This option would be placed on the province screen of rival's colonies and allow you to grant the natives in that province the same unit types as you use when they rise up against their colonizers. This would cost (15? 50?) military points. Grants (1?) Power Projection

2. Discourage Settlement
Probably placed near arm natives, decrease the settler chance in a rival colony by (10? 25? 50?) For (five years? One year? Forever?) This would cost administrative points. Grants (1?) Power Projection

3. Harass Shipping
Next to Arm Natives and Discourage Settlement, this would steal some of the colonial maintenance the colonizer spends on growing the colony. Grants (1?) Power Projection

4. Forts
Forts next to uncolonized or partially colonised provinces stop native uprisings in those provinces

5. Contesting Colonies
By sending an army (maybe even a fleet) to a (coastal, perhaps?) province that's being colonized, you have to option to try and seize the colony. This would cause nearby (Not really sure how this would work) fleets and armies of the nation colonizing and the nation seizing the colony to be hostile to one another. During this time the colony is under the control of the aggressor but still has the religion and culture of the colonizer. The colonizer should now move forces to the colony to recapture it. This would be just short of war, and would capture quite well events like the Dutch snatching New Sweden and the English taking New Nederland from the Dutch. I'm sure there are more examples, but these come to mind. This feature is intended to represent small colonial border conflicts and minor incursions. The AI should be extremely reluctant to engage with large fleets and armies.

6. Raise Colonial Militia
Probably most useful when seizing or having a colony seized, this would allow you to gain a few regiments from your colonies to stave off an attack on your colonies.

7. Colonial Entry and Exit Points
These simulate the main ports where colonists leave for and arrive at the New World. I'm not sure how these would be determined, (Important centres of trade and the like should certainly increase the chances) but Colonial Entry Points should slowly gain development when you colonize provinces in their colonial region. This is to simulate the growth of important New World cities like New York, Boston, Havana, Rio de Janeiro, and New Orleans. On the other hand, colonial exit points determine the main ports the colonists are leaving from. They would probably just receive extra trade value and taxes, but they could also increase settler chance. Each nation could receive one colonial exit point per coastal trade node they have land in, and one Entry Point per colonial region/trade company region after a certain amount of provinces in that region is met.

Thanks for reading. To be honest, I'm surprised you made it so far, if you did :D

1. Agree
2. Disagree (I think 1 is a better idea standalone for achieving the effect)
also arming the natives should decrease the cost to westernize / reform tribals of the appropriate tech group (which tech group gets the bonus is determined by the colonial region) by 1%
3. Yes, if it increases the maintenance by the amount stolen and is effected by privateer efficiency
4. Agree
5. Disagree - just send in your dudes and seize it anyway if at war - like can currently be done for unfinished ones. Since they're so cheap to demand it works OK as is I think?
6. Disagree - if not using 5, is unnecessary, but if 5 is implemented, agree.
7. YES.

I know they're pretty unrealistic, but the Colonial entry and exit points were the things I had the highest hopes for, and they don't seem too bad.
Yes, those 'points' inspired me and fit well into my own modding plans. :) But I'm not going to 'steal' your idea, it's just I have evolved some other concept which could possibly behave in rather similar way.

1. Agree
2. Disagree (I think 1 is a better idea standalone for achieving the effect)
also arming the natives should decrease the cost to westernize / reform tribals of the appropriate tech group (which tech group gets the bonus is determined by the colonial region) by 1%
3. Yes, if it increases the maintenance by the amount stolen and is effected by privateer efficiency
4. Agree
5. Disagree - just send in your dudes and seize it anyway if at war - like can currently be done for unfinished ones. Since they're so cheap to demand it works OK as is I think?
6. Disagree - if not using 5, is unnecessary, but if 5 is implemented, agree.
7. YES.
Yeah, #2 was kind of a placeholder/filler. I mean, if you have an diplo button, and a mil button, why shouldn't I go all the way?

I like #8, the colonial entry point is quite interesting. It could be something that you assign like your trade and government capitals. You could maybe only have one at a time, but it would give significant bonuses to...something. Cause automatic development, or increase settler numbers nearby, or something.

Natives should be able to burn down colonies without being at war, but this should also require fighting any troops in the area (if you want to be real generous, have troops auto-generated in the colony depending on how many settlers there are, similar to Attack Natives. Obviously, this should give a relations malus and perhaps a Diplomatic Insult CB to the colonizer, but I think it falls in line with the "falls just short of war" area, and has historical precedents as well.

I like #8, the colonial entry point is quite interesting. It could be something that you assign like your trade and government capitals. You could maybe only have one at a time, but it would give significant bonuses to...something. Cause automatic development, or increase settler numbers nearby, or something.
Maybe a sizeable reduction to development costs.
Yes, those 'points' inspired me and fit well into my own modding plans. :) But I'm not going to 'steal' your idea, it's just I have evolved some other concept which could possibly behave in rather similar way.
It's okay, you can use them in your mod. Consider the idea in the public domain.

Once i finish the mod im working on, if u would like, i can make all ur ideas into a mod and try make it compatible with other mods so it's as if it is now part of the game. It will be messy on how this is all done but i can most certainly make all this happen