• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

FNK_Drake

Captain
39 Badges
Dec 23, 2005
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
I've just been watching some Let's plays on YouTube and one thing that I've noticed is the lack of Cul de sacs. I think this simple addition would make dead end streets much more useful by adding zonable areas at the ends of the street and make it easier to make efficient use of curved spaces.

Reactions:
Upvote 0
They end in turnarounds, as a vast majority of the city builders do nowadays(except Cities XL).

The cul-de-sac would add a whole neighborhood to the end of the road. In the US, new housing areas have plenty of cul-de-sacs.

In America, a cul de sac doesn't add "a whole new neighborhood". It adds 3-5 houses at he end of a road cause they added a 'bulb' on the end. My neighborhood has 4 of them. Basically it makes turning around in a dead end road easier. Most cul de sacs in America look like this: http://www.citylab.com/design/2011/09/street-grids/124/

Cims have no trouble turning around at the end of a dead end road. If you want to add a "neighborhood" at the end of a dead end, I still say make a small loop, or (if you want more houses) just extend the road. You'll get more houses with a loop, and yes, there's an intersection added. Is the problem with that is it doesn't 'look' right?

Hey, if some of you think cul de sacs are important enough for the developers to spend their time on them, fine. Personally, I wouldn't use them. I'd probably just end up tearing them out and destroying the houses later in order to expand the road anyway. But that's me.

I did it mostly for the picture, cause it wouldn't let me post just the picture. Actually, I haven't read the article, and have no idea what it says.

largest.jpg