• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Riekopo

Field Marshal
38 Badges
Apr 24, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • King Arthur II
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2

Alexander the Great founded, substantially re-established or renamed several towns and cities.

They are[1] (with present-day locations):

• 3Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
However sure of itself Wikipedia is on the matter its not always clear where an Alexandria was. We currently have 17 Alexandrias in the game, many of them are also on this list, which ones specifically would you say are missing and where do you think they should be? :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
However sure of itself Wikipedia is on the matter its not always clear where an Alexandria was. We currently have 17 Alexandrias in the game, many of them are also on this list, which ones specifically would you say are missing and where do you think they should be? :)

Even more then that, there's 19 of them! You'd think the guy who founded them had some sort of god-complex.

• 4Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
which ones specifically would you say are missing and where do you think they should be?
These are currently missing:
Alexandria in Troas, modern Dalyan in Turkey.
Alexandria near Issus; İskenderun in Turkey preserves the name, but probably not the exact site.
Six cities north of the Oxus, one of which may be Termez, Uzbekistan.

in addition, these 4 ARE on the map but lack the Alexandria modifier and hellenic maceodnian POPs:
Alexandria by the Latmus, possibly Alinda, Turkey.
Nikephorion, present day Raqqa in Syria. Isidore of Charax, in the Parthian Stations, wrote that it was a Greek city founded by Alexander the Great.[2][3]

You should fix this.

Reactions:
Most of those are in game, the only one that isn't is Alexandreia near Issus. The rest we have no location for, so they can't be added either. And Alexandria in Troas was not founded by him, just named after him by Lysimachus, so no modifier for that one.

Edit: Though looking where the Wikipedia article places the Maedi (where Alexandropolis Maedica is named after), perhaps this one can be placed at 4306 Bansko, which currently has a Slavic name which is quite out of place? It should not get the modifier though, in my opinion, since its unknown and it was not a city.

Last edited:
Reactions:
So to clarify: to add more I’d want a specific location and I’d want more than a Wikipedia sentence for a place, especially if that place is without its own article.
We added as many alexandrias as we were comfortable with from this list already during development, if you think more are lacking then please argue for why instead of just citing loose sentences from Wikipedia, often with no reference.

Saying that something is on a long river like the Oxus, or Beas or that it’s possibly near a city founded thousands of years later (Hyderabad in Sindh) isn’t specific enough unless you have something more to go on.

If you do find more about the existence or location of the ones we’ve failed to corroborate than we are happy to add them, but just linking that list isn’t enough in itself.
As far as we have been able to find some of these are the speculation of Wikipedia editors. :)

Likewise there are some that are mentioned without any reference to them being founded by Alexander or carrying his name. In this case I’d also love more to go on, especially when there’s every indication that they predate the Hellenistic invasion. This is the case with Patala for instance.

Edit: I use too many smileys...

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
I think there are enough Alexandrias in game. If anything there might be too much (from the perspektive of verifiability) :)
But Alexander himself would see this different I believe

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
So to clarify: to add more I’d want a specific location and I’d want more than a Wikipedia sentence for a place, especially if that place is without its own article.
We added as many alexandrias as we were comfortable with from this list already during development, if you think more are lacking then please argue for why instead of just citing loose sentences from Wikipedia, often with no reference.

Reason to add them all: more flavour and historical accuracy. More reasons noted below.

Alexandropolis Maedica: Rename Bansko as @Samitte suggested above.
Reason: It was the first city or town founded by Alexander.

Alexandria by the Latmus: rename Alinda.
Reason: it was called Alexandria by the Latmos for most of the game but renamed back to Alinda at some point before 81 BC. Perhaps make Alinda the non-greek name of this city?

Alexandria near Issus: New Tile, between Issos and Myriandros.
Reason: Commemorated the great victory nearby. Still exists today.

Termez, Uzbekistan is apparently Tarmantis. Make it a city, add some Hellenic Macedonian POPs and add the Alexandria modifier.
Reason: already in the game, but depicted incorrectly.

Arigaeum: Make it a city, add some Hellenic Macedonian POPs and add the Alexandria modifier.

Alexandria on the Hyphasis: judging by the map, it should be a new tile between Lubokla, Sarwmanpur, Sodal and Okara. Should be Owned by Paurava. The eastern border of the tile should follow the river.
Reason: Easternmost Alexandria and the locaion where he was forced to turned back.

Xylinepolis: it was built as a fortress to secure the Patala naval base. A new tile between Patala, Alexandrou Limen and Bibacta (carved out of these three). a settlement with a fort. The three ports would be in the Zone of control.
Reason: This would represent the role it played historically in the game.

Nikephorion: add some Hellenic Macedonian POPs and the Alexandria modifier to the already existing city.

• 1Like
Reactions: