Adams hotfix (1.6.1) released [checksum b38e]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Consumers have different standards, I'd wager. It's clear any time you plug into a game community that some people really expect and demand a bug free experience and if they don't get it they feel ripped off and abused. Some people are more used to the errors that crop up through game development and are more patient with the unavoidable bugs.

There aren't -any- games that are bug free that i've ever found ever but that is apparently not the experience some people have had and instead the games they've experienced with bugs make them feel like they've been ripped off.

AKA first world problems. Overreacting as usual.

Imo you should have fixed more bugs before releasing the beta patch. There are still a lot of issues and they are not hard to find. I encountered most of them within two hours of playing the update.

If this means you're moving on to 1.7 before actually fixing more issues with 1.6 I won't be buying any more Paradox games or DLC. After all the feedback from 1.6 and the bug reports for 1.6.1 hotfix if you continue ignoring your customers you're going to lose us.

Do you really think because 1.7 started, all bugs of 1.6 and below are ignored ? It does not work like that. Bugs have priorities and patches can causes regressions. (New Bugs)

It is amazing all the peoples in here crying at PDX for bugs not fixed in what they believe their time, I'm sure they are know and you don't have access to the PDX Jira where everything is logged with priorities, technical informations and the reasons why this has not been fixed yet.

You guys are speculating about Software development, a lot.

@Jamor What is the development cycle going to look like moving forward? Can we expect a new beta patch every Friday for the lifecycle of 1.6?

Edit: Please?

@Jamor What is the development cycle going to look like moving forward? Can we expect a new beta patch every Friday for the lifecycle of 1.6?

Edit: Please?
My understanding is that they don't give out exact dates since the actual release may change depending on their work, but I will be quite discouraged if we don't receive a 1.6.2 beta quickly. Waiting yet again for 1.7 to tackle bugs that have plagued paid content for months or other issues that have already been solved by modders is really pushing it. There's no longer any use in listing out the litany of problems, they are well known, and they need to be fixed.

My understanding is that they don't give out exact dates since the actual release may change depending on their work, but I will be quite discouraged if we don't receive a 1.6.2 beta quickly. Waiting yet again for 1.7 to tackle bugs that have plagued paid content for months or other issues that have already been solved by modders is really pushing it. There's no longer any use in listing out the litany of problems, they are well known, and they need to be fixed.

That's why I'm asking the question that I'm asking. If 1.6 is a bugfix/quality of life patch, then it should continue to be that throughout its lifecycle. It shouldn't be fire and forget.

PDX should, in my humble opinion, strive for a weekly bugfix cycle, beta on Friday, fix/release the beta on Monday. If it didn't need changes, release it as 1.6.x. if it did need changes then roll it in to next week's patch.

With the rapidity of 1.6.1 and the repeated notion that they are striving for improvement on this beta/patch release front, this is the development cycle I think would work best from my outsider perspective. But I'm just that, an outsider, so I'm asking if it's their plan instead of assuming.

I have to agree with some of the sentiment expressed here. People have raised issue with the current beta.
1) it is unclear if the devs are acknowledging the issue (and sorry given recent release state the "we know" is not doing it anymore);
2) no change has been made on the beta...

You need someone to start working on the PR. You released a mess of a patch, you coupled that with a big sale. Some people first experience with the game will be the 1.6 mess that cannot be a good thing.

-- xenophile faction is still bugged;
- sector food priority is too low early on;
- everyone bringing the pacifist in their government;
- everyone signing defense treaty so no war occurs after a while (which may be the root cause of the above);
- missile being dreadful (for player fine don't use it, but it is easy to cheese an AI that does even early game...);
I'm pretty sure from what I've read here on the forum that the issues with missiles are not something that can/will be fixed in a hotfix patch. The impression I've gotten is that anything more than the equivalent of slapping a bandaid over the problem is being held back to be part of a complete overhaul of the space combat engine.

<rant>

Stellaris has the potential to be a seriously good game. But there are just *so* *many* bugs. And it feels like the devs are concentrating far more on paid DLC than on fixing the multiple game-breaking issues that have already been raised in the bug forum.

I'm a huge fan of EU4 and CK2. You guys sold me on grand strategy so hard that other strategy games seem shallow by comparison. I'm a fan. I buy all the DLC in part because I want to show my appreciation for your work. I'm trying to do constructive criticism. So: please please just work on bugs for a while, not DLC.

</rant>

Also, I agree with previous posters - it would be good to know for certain which bugs have been acknowledged by the devs. A "known issues" thread would be a good start.

The bug support forum is terrible. They need to acknowledge bugs that they verify. There is currently no way to know if they've even read your submission let alone are actually doing anything about it.

Personally I think they should scrap the forum and implement an a real bug tracker like JIRA or an equivalent.

The bug support forum is terrible. They need to acknowledge bugs that they verify. There is currently no way to know if they've even read your submission let alone are actually doing anything about it.

Personally I think they should scrap the forum and implement an a real bug tracker like JIRA or an equivalent.

You took words out of my mouth. Please, adopt something on the lines of JIRA, Paradox! https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

Not sure if this just started with the 1.6.1 patch, but anomaly research rewards are not being credited to their respective research pools (physics, society, engineering). If the event tool-tip says I received 150 engineering research (for example), that amount doesn't get added to the engineering progress bar--more than once, I've checked the research screen afterward and the amount of progress was less than the award amount.

So many people complaining about this patch...I haven't really had any issues outside of the egalitarians hating me for settling a world with pre-sentients because they consider pre-sentients to always be enslaved apparently. I guess I've just been lucky?

Well, at least with 1.6.1_beta like 99% of the complains are from usual whiners and can be ignored. I played around 15 hours 1.6.1 on the weekend, there are some little annoyances like AI terraforming their inhabited planets again and again, but there is nothing game breaking / game changeing (like the no war bug in 1.6.0).

Of course there are the usual complains where the problem is local in front of the PC instead on paradox side: For example "war in heaven" works totally fine now, endgame crisis is balanced (scourge visited), achievements of course work, etc.

All real bugs seem to be fixed and we all can be sure that the left minor annoyances will be fixed by paradox at some point. No need to still insult/etc., Jamor actually did an awesome job. If every team would work and communicate like the stellaris team, that would be an awesome improvement overall!

So many people complaining about this patch...I haven't really had any issues outside of the egalitarians hating me for settling a world with pre-sentients because they consider pre-sentients to always be enslaved apparently. I guess I've just been lucky?

Some of the issues are broken features that affect everyone, you just haven't been looking in the particular spots to notice them (which is fair enough).

The major problem I have with the game at the moment is that "Governing Ethics Attraction" does nothing, and hasn't done anything since 1.5. This effectively means the main spiritualist bonus does nothing, and a whole bunch of buildings, edicts and the planetary mind control laser all do nothing as well. It also means the entire ethos system is way out of whack with what it should be. This is a huge issue if you care about your pops' ethos at all (or play spiritualist), but I can see why you wouldn't immediately notice it. It's hard to tell in general what's going on with pop ethos, none of it is made very clear to the player.

The other one is the AI crippling itself by terraforming its own planets into forms that are useless to them. This completely destroys any chance for the AI to be competitive, but again it's not immediately noticeable because it takes place in AI empires.

This beta patch seems to have been handled right, but as I've said there are still issues in the game that stop me from playing at all. I really hope the intention is to continue with these bug fixes before moving on to anything else this time.

I'd love to be able to (finally) get back into the game properly, a lot of the improvements sound like they would be great if there was only a decent version of the game to play them on.

Last edited:
Personally I think a 1.6.2 -> 1.6.3 -> 1.6.4 etc. cycle before moving on to 1.7 would be a great way to make Adams live up to its designation as "the bug-fixing patch". Would go a long way towards generating goodwill in the community too - I bought Utopia on release but unless Stellaris reaches a point where all major features work mostly bug-free before the next DLC is out, I'll be getting future products on sale well after release. Your games are great, guys, but I'm not comfortable paying full price for a product with broken features.

I'm guessing it cant recognize them retroactively? I just finished a play through that I was happy with for 5-6 achievements on ironman, and ended up with nothing, but I started it pre-hotfix. I'm arguing whether I should start another Ironman post-1.6.1 now to see if it works. Just have to get over the cool-down of my own disappointment. But hey, an excuse to try a different play style. Haven't tried a tall start yet (stay small to rush ascendencies and tech), could be worth the challenge.