Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's Greenhouse Pressure... but the limit of 3.0 probably isn't going to be a constraint, since currently with 83% of the atmosphere being greenhouse gas the greenhouse pressure is only 0.0506 (base temperature of Mars at this distance from Sol is 225 kelvin, albedo has been 1.0 ever since we started... no change).

hmm, ok - how about Earth itself? (base temperature, Albedo, greenhouse pressure.. atm. pressure at 1atm, I assume?)
Venus would probably need a ton of greenhouse gasses removed, but otherwise possible?
Mercury.. might need a <1 Albedo?
How about the outer planets, or moons around them?

Obviously, I don't expect that to be *worthwile*, but should you have terraformers to spare and/or a hugely inflated ego, would it be possible?

Would any big thermal sensors help at all with those Rock-class ships' ability to detect/track missiles at all, or do you absolutely need active sensors for that?

(edit) also, when I click "commercial only" in ship design, it hides all of the active sensors I have designed except for 2. I don't know what those 2 have that sets them apart, but indeed when I try fitting them to a commercial vessel it doesn't change the ship's designation to military. Bug? Dunno, but worth investigating. Here are the 2 "commercial" active sensors in my game:

Active Search Sensor MR13-R60 (70%) GPS 960 Range 13.6m km Resolution 60
Active Sensor Strength: 16 Sensitivity Modifier: 110%
Sensor Size: 1 HS Sensor HTK: 1
Resolution: 60 Maximum Range vs 3000 ton object (or larger): 13,630,000 km
Range vs 1000 ton object: 1,514,444 km
Range vs 250 ton object: 94,653 km
Chance of destruction by electronic damage: 70%
Cost: 20 Crew: 5
Materials Required: 5x Duranium 15x Uridium

Active Search Sensor MR1-R100 GPS 160 Range 1.8m km Resolution 100
Active Sensor Strength: 1.6 Sensitivity Modifier: 110%
Sensor Size: 0.1 HS Sensor HTK: 0
Resolution: 100 Maximum Range vs 5000 ton object (or larger): 1,760,000 km
Range vs 1000 ton object: 70,400 km
Range vs 250 ton object: 4,400 km
Chance of destruction by electronic damage: 100%
Cost: 2 Crew: 0
Materials Required: 0.5x Duranium 1.5x Uridium

And here's proof. A freighter with active sensors.

DAF class Freighter 24,100 tons 383 Crew 550.4 BP TCS 482 TH 1000 EM 0
2074 km/s Armour 1-74 Shields 0-0 Sensors 6/1/0/0 Damage Control Rating 8 PPV 0
Maint Capacity 114 MSP Max Repair 25 MSP
Cargo 10000

Nuclear Pulse Engine E0.8 (10) Power 100 Fuel Use 8% Signature 100 Armour 0 Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 300,000 Litres Range 280.0 billion km (1562 days at full power)

Active Search Sensor MR13-R60 (70%) (1) GPS 960 Range 13.6m km Resolution 60
Thermal Sensor TH1-6 (1) Sensitivity 6 Detect Sig Strength 1000: 6m km

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

Last edited:
You are still assigned to a Spitfire fighter. The new Spitfire II models are under construction, and you can choose between receiving one of them (faster than your current fighter) or one of the new Hurricane II (not quite as fast, but radar-equipped). Your squadron will be assigned to Carrier duty as soon as the Carriers finish their refit to Mountain II standards (much faster, better protected) currently underway.
After thinking over it during the weekend I'd like to apply for the new Hurricane II sir. I'm confident my experience on the Spitfire I will help me in my duty.

NEWS FLASH!

Important news has arrived from Governor Richard Nixon, who has been supervising our new Xeno-Archeological dig on Sigma Draconis A-II. He tells us that Brigadier Quift's 32nd Engineer Brigade has unearthed an intact Research Lab on that planet. Careful study of the data still contained in the Lab has given us a new technological advance... Fusion-Boosted Fission Warheads for Missiles. This advance will allow us to increase the destructive effect of our missiles by +25%, or alternatively to use smaller warheads with equal effect, allowing the weight we save to be used to increase engine power and missile speed.

Brigadier Quift has been awarded the Xeno-Archeology Badge. Governor Richard Nixon has been awarded the Xeno-Archeology Badge II to hang beside his first Xeno-Archeology Badge.

Cool, Do engineers do anything else besides digging, or am I confined to quarters til we find some new ruins?

Would any big thermal sensors help at all with those Rock-class ships' ability to detect/track missiles at all, or do you absolutely need active sensors for that?

You can see missiles with thermal sensors, yes. You just can't target any of them.

Cool, Do engineers do anything else besides digging, or am I confined to quarters til we find some new ruins?

Besides of digging holes to find artefacts, you can also dig holes and place PDC components into them.

hmm, ok - how about Earth itself? (base temperature, Albedo, greenhouse pressure.. atm. pressure at 1atm, I assume?)
Venus would probably need a ton of greenhouse gasses removed, but otherwise possible?
Mercury.. might need a <1 Albedo?
How about the outer planets, or moons around them?

Obviously, I don't expect that to be *worthwile*, but should you have terraformers to spare and/or a hugely inflated ego, would it be possible?

Earth:

Base Temperature : 268.18 kelvin
Greenhouse factor : 1.1
Albedo : 1
Greenhouse pressure : 0

... that gives a final surface temperature of 295 kelvin, or +22 centigrade.

Almost any body can be terraformed unless the gravity is too high (there's nothing that can be done, in that case). Gasses can be added or removed from the atmosphere, and there are both Greenhouse and Anti-Greenhouse gasses available. At base-level technology, Venus would take nearly 100,000 years for a single terraforming station to bring it to class-0. Of course, tech advance can speed that up, as can using lots of terraforming stations (or ships, or satellites) instead of just one. I'm using five on Mars, with another five queued for construction.

Professor D'aazrof has recently developed new armor for our ships, by the way, and is currently working on still-better armor.

(edit) also, when I click "commercial only" in ship design, it hides all of the active sensors I have designed except for 2. I don't know what those 2 have that sets them apart, but indeed when I try fitting them to a commercial vessel it doesn't change the ship's designation to military. Bug? Dunno, but worth investigating. Here are the 2 "commercial" active sensors in my game:

Not sure why those designs are allowed. The second one is pretty odd...

Active Search Sensor MR1-R100 GPS 160 Range 1.8m km Resolution 100
Active Sensor Strength: 1.6 Sensitivity Modifier: 110%
Sensor Size: 0.1 HS Sensor HTK: 0
Resolution: 100 Maximum Range vs 5000 ton object (or larger): 1,760,000 km
Range vs 1000 ton object: 70,400 km
Range vs 250 ton object: 4,400 km
Chance of destruction by electronic damage: 100%
Cost: 2 Crew: 0
Materials Required: 0.5x Duranium 1.5x Uridium

... detecting size-100 targets at 1.76 million km? Why not just look out the window?

I don't think Thermal sensors would help much. I'll be using these puppies not far in front of my fleet, and my Command Ship's active sensors will reach a lot further out than the Rock's Thermal sensors would.

After thinking over it during the weekend I'd like to apply for the new Hurricane II sir. I'm confident my experience on the Spitfire I will help me in my duty.

Sure. No problem.

Engineers count as Factories (ie: they add to Production), so they are often used to assemble prefab Planetary Defense Complexes on new colonies. You could always transfer to the Space Marines... although you've been seeing a lot more action than them, so far. With no enemies to fight, they've been limited to training.

... detecting size-100 targets at 1.76 million km? Why not just look out the window?

Hey, that's the first sensor I ever designed - don't laugh too hard. :)

Still it serves a purpose (finding bugs in the game). It's also very small, I had intended it for mounting on fighters.

The other sensor design should work fine if you can reproduce it. I'm using it in several destroyer-size and smaller vessels - like my FAC.

Last edited:
Engineers count as Factories (ie: they add to Production), so they are often used to assemble prefab Planetary Defense Complexes on new colonies. You could always transfer to the Space Marines... although you've been seeing a lot more action than them, so far. With no enemies to fight, they've been limited to training.

Nah, Engineering is fine by me. Someone has to build the outposts before placing the grunts in them. And I'm rather building barracks than living in them.

I think the first active sensor design should be reproducible. I just made another one very similar to it (Active Search Sensor MR13-R60 (50%) ) and it's still classified as commercial. The only difference is a higher level of EMP hardening.

Been looking at the Aurora forums as well, it seems that other people are able to fit active sensors to commercial vessels: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,3558.msg34785.html#msg34785

Last edited:
March 8th, 2034. The last two Star class Destroyers have been refitted to Star-II. Now we are only waiting for the last Mountain and the last two Attitudes. The two extra Mountain-II class Carriers, ordered at the same time that the last Mountain went into refit, will also be ready this year, and can join the Prix-bashing expedition.

@stamasd... still can't reproduce your sensor as a Commercial device. I suspect that my tech level is still too low, so it masses too much (or draws too much power, or something).

Finally, we get some sweet sweet revenge on those damn Prix!

Finally, we get some sweet sweet revenge on those damn Prix!

Yes... and several people will be promoted to command of a warship just before we set out to attack them. We will have seven more warships (six Carriers and one Destroyer) than we did before, and the six Fighter Squadrons will also need PCs to command them.

Aye, I'd guess hullsize 1 or smaller is considered 'commercial', high power systems are military things or some such logic. (On this small samplesize, haven't built any myself to test it).

Yes... and several people will be promoted to command of a warship just before we set out to attack them. We will have seven more warships (six Carriers and one Destroyer) than we did before, and the six Fighter Squadrons will also need PCs to command them.

*Crosses fingers*

Aye, I'd guess hullsize 1 or smaller is considered 'commercial', high power systems are military things or some such logic. (On this small samplesize, haven't built any myself to test it).

That's it!!!! I made one Hull Size 0.9, and the game accepted it as Commercial. Excellent... this way I can give my position away by using active sensors (I realize that sounds odd, but I actually WANT the Prix to shoot at these decoy puppies, instead of at my warships).

@stamasd... still can't reproduce your sensor as a Commercial device. I suspect that my tech level is still too low, so it masses too much (or draws too much power, or something).

I did a bit of experimenting, it looks like any active sensor size 1 or smaller can be mounted on commercial ships. Looks pretty consistent. Size 0.9, yes... size 1, yes... size 1.2, no. No other design variable seems to have an effect.

:eek:

G_170_Blekinge.jpg

Did you want to start a new character?

Hmm, if there are new warships, can I be promoted to a bigger one? ;)

That's the usual procedure... Scout Ships => Destroyers => Cruisers => Carriers... but with the exception that Carriers also draw commanders from the Air arm, since they are more likely to have the +Fighter Ops bonus, which translates to faster re-arming for Fighters based on Carriers.

That's it!!!! I made one Hull Size 0.9, and the game accepted it as Commercial. Excellent... this way I can give my position away by using active sensors (I realize that sounds odd, but I actually WANT the Prix to shoot at these decoy puppies, instead of at my warships).

Though ultimately, the decoy ships will present such an unimposing target for the battle AI that it will start shooting at something more interesting once it spots it. The AI likes to target ships with high EM signatures. I'm quite interested to see how this goes. Superprotected AWACS style command ships do work, but that's because the AI would shoot at them anyway from the list of targets.