Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why not mine the entrance to the system where you met the new ... more dangerous aliens?
They are hostile wiith you already, and you don't risk to start an avoidable shooting war with the Charlies...

Well, assuming the mines only target hostiles, it would make sense to work outwards from SOL, and quickly, rather than having to constantly cross a larger distance, and risk losing the ship at the start of the operations. Once SOL is secured, then expand and place these mines outwards at the jump points at Procyon etc

Why not mine the entrance to the system where you met the new ... more dangerous aliens?
They are hostile wiith you already, and you don't risk to start an avoidable shooting war with the Charlies...

That would come with the risk that the new aliens have already left 82 Eridani and made it to Gliese 229. Mining Luytens Star and Gliese 205 is a risk because they're spread, and Luytens Star in particular has a lot of unknown branches leading from it.

We can always start at Procyon, and work out as far as we're comfortable once we have a secure first line.

I was thinking of making a crap-load of mines and laying them ten at a time (and later doubling that), and mining the jumps out of Procyon, then in orbit around the planet itself, then the Sol jump points.

I'm going to call it a day, and you people can debate the situation and offer advice. See you tomorrow.

What about mining the entrance to Eridani and the entrance to Gliese 229 in the Luytens Star?

Remember that these mines need to be replaced every now and then, so it would become very costly and very time-consuming to maintain a minefield in several systems and jumppoints.

And I assume this answers the question of if they are aliens or precussor with alien?
I fear so...
For some time, I've been wondering when we would meet the next alien species. Or Precursor stuff gone mad.
And the high tech and power of these warships at first looked like Precursor stuff to me. The way it happened as well: grav-survey ship finds the jump-point, checks the system and goes back to another system fast. Another surveying ship arrives, for a longer stay deeper inside the system, is soon detected by Precursor ships and destroyed on sight.
Now, if these are not Precursor old junk but brand new alien empire, we're in serious trouble :/

RIP Polar Mongoose

Is there any chance Charlie Corporation could accidentally set off those mines? He's sending an awful lot of ships into our system, civilian and otherwise. It would create a diplomatic...incident... if we accidentally destroyed one of his Jump Gate constructors.
Is this missile on automatic launch, or can Blue Emu overrule it? In which case the Charlies are safe, because he'll know it's them and not some nasty alien.

That would come with the risk that the new aliens have already left 82 Eridani and made it to Gliese 229. Mining Luytens Star and Gliese 205 is a risk because they're spread, and Luytens Star in particular has a lot of unknown branches leading from it.

We can always start at Procyon, and work out as far as we're comfortable once we have a secure first line.

I hope they haven't left but if they have Procyon would have to be the first line of defence and we need to work forwards. But hopefully they happen to be very attached to their system and won't venture.

But looking at the map, Procyon makes most sense due to the fact that there are two ways to get to Eridani.

I fear so...
For some time, I've been wondering when we would meet the next alien species. Or Precursor stuff gone mad.
And the high tech and power of these warships at first looked like Precursor stuff to me. The way it happened as well: grav-survey ship finds the jump-point, checks the system and goes back to another system fast. Another surveying ship arrives, for a longer stay deeper inside the system, is soon detected by Precursor ships and destroyed on sight.
Now, if these are not Precursor old junk but brand new alien empire, we're in serious trouble :/
Is this missile on automatic launch, or can Blue Emu overrule it? In which case the Charlies are safe, because he'll know it's them and not some nasty alien.

Well I thought Precursor ships guard planets and leave those planets. Also doesn't there tend to be only one ship?

Well I thought Precursor ships guard planets and leave those planets. Also doesn't there tend to be only one ship?

I was confronted by 5 precursor ships just the other day.

-edit-
I second the vote for naming our first carrier Polar Mongoose in his honour. It would make him proud.

Last edited:
Even if this new threat is serious I would vote for a careful strategy that doesn´t undermine the economy.

Yes, the enemy are fast and capable of doing lots of harm.
But as far as I know the AI doesn´t cheat (could use a confirmation from someone on this). If that is the case we could be sure that this is the first time they spotted us. Otherwise they would have engaged sooner since their ships are so bloody fast.
That means that it´s unlikely that they have a active presence in any of the systems we have discovered.

On the map it looks like the Sol is pretty close to 82 Eridani, but if the enemy doesn´t know the location of it (and if he doesn´t cheat) he can´t possible knows where to find us. Even if his scouts are way faster than ours it could take several month, or even several years before he finds Procyon and perhaps later Sol and that if he search active.
I don´t know how clever the AI is, but if we put mines or buoys on every Jump Point that leads towards Earth, wouldn´t that be like drawing the enemy a map? (The Charlie situation is different since they already know Sol and they are not hostile).

The best strategy in my eyes is to send buoys and maybe mines to Gliese 229, since the enemy probably already knows the scout came from there, and from that point see if the tries to advance towards us and continue our research and explorations and try to catch up on him in some fields (maybe go for Ion-Engine and new faster designs).

Time is of the essence ladies and gentlemen.

I recommend we send a diplomatic team to these new hostile aliens to learn their true name, this could potentially clear up who exactly they are and whether or not they're going to be coming to the Sol System anytime soon.

We're going to need to do everything we can to improve relations with the Charlies now, by the way. Their technology and assistance might prove to be exactly what we need to defeat this new menace.

ESN CVN-1 Polar Mongoose has a nice ring to it.

First human blown up by aliens wasn't quite the entry to the history books I was looking for :(

ESN CVN-1 Polar Mongoose has a nice ring to it.

Indeed it does, especially if it is bristling with point defence.

Hopefully these new enemy are just precursors and will stay put until we can destroy them and take whatever it is they are guarding.

<Letter sent to Mrs. Polar Mongoose, London, Earth>

Dear Mrs. PolarMongoose,

Please accept my most profund sympathy on the recent loss of your husband
Cmdr Polar Mongoose, Geo-Scouts, ESN Lyell, who died in the service of his planet on 22 March 2029 performing his duties.

Polar Mongoose death came as a shook to all who knew him. He was a dedicated man,
who was well liked and respected by his fellow comrades.

I sincerely hope that you will be comforted in your sorrow by the abiding faith we all share in our common cause.
When the future generations read about the past, brave men like Polar Mongoose will be remember as the pioneers who
made it all possible.

Sincerely,

Lord Martin
Director of Survey Department
Fleet HQ, Earth

<Letter ends>

Last edited:
Precursors can have several ships, but indeed they just defend their own system and never venture beyond. Which means they can hit you far from any planet, though.

We should see what the "initiate contact" might do, though, as TLG said. Even if I expect them to blow up the diplomatic team, at least we wouldn't have any doubt about their intentions.

I don´t know how clever the AI is, but if we put mines or buoys on every Jump Point that leads towards Earth, wouldn´t that be like drawing the enemy a map? (The Charlie situation is different since they already know Sol and they are not hostile).

That would be a pretty clever AI.

Not to mention pretty steadfast and/or well-armored

that is to say: moar mines!

This is a HUGE star system, with nine jump points and two suns, each with their own family of planets, moons, asteroids, etc. It takes literally MONTHS for a civilian ship to drive across it... although those Lagrange points will provide some short-cuts. You can see Stonewall's expedition crossing the space between the two suns to establish the new colony on one of the planets at top left.

How do Lagrange points help? Intra-system jumps?

Also, is it possible to look at the tech tree and see how far you would need to advance to match Charlie's speed? If so we would have some idea of their general tech level when sizing them up for a fight.

Also, is it possible to look at the tech tree and see how far you would need to advance to match Charlie's speed? If so we would have some idea of their general tech level when sizing them up for a fight.

From what little I picked up when I fiddled with the game, you can put several engines in one spaceship in order to increase overall speed. So it might be possible to match their speed with inferior technology. But then you probably have little room for armaments etc.

AFAIK yes

edit: wiki says:
Lagrange Point. An intra-system jump point found in the L5 lagrange point of super-jovians or massive gas giants (about sixty degrees behind the planet in its orbit)

Precursors can have several ships, but indeed they just defend their own system and never venture beyond. Which means they can hit you far from any planet, though.

We should see what the "initiate contact" might do, though, as TLG said. Even if I expect them to blow up the diplomatic team, at least we wouldn't have any doubt about their intentions.

They wouldn't blow up our Diplo Team, as we'd be sending or listening in on their transmissions safely from Earth. :)