• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LlywelynII

Field Marshal
11 Badges
Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
I don't want to tie us down to getting this exactly right & there should probably be adjustments at points for gameplay, but I'm starting this thread for people to post to who know what the actual populations of the towns and provinces in EU2 were.

I'm sure Paradox had better things to do with their time, but we don't, do we? :D

jay.

Originally posted by Garbon
I know this was brought up before, but I think it was tossed as history getting in the way of game balance.

I can see it presenting problems if e.g. Beijing is given 600k-1.2m people, but knowing that it had such a large, urbanized population at least shows us that ingame it should be represented by 200k+ (the highest population tier IIRC).

I do just want this to be a side-line & we shouldn't sacrifice gameplay to do it; but it seems like a needed service, if we can make it work on a volunteer basis.

jay.

I think it's critical to look at the population across the entire time period, not just on the date of interest (1419, 1492, 1520 or whatever). Places like Rome were pretty small in 1419 but very large in 1820, while Bruges would be the opposite (relative to average populations).

Originally posted by Isaac Brock
I think it's critical to look at the population across the entire time period, not just on the date of interest (1419, 1492, 1520 or whatever). Places like Rome were pretty small in 1419 but very large in 1820, while Bruges would be the opposite (relative to average populations).

It is important - but because paying attention to the population over time would show us where to script more deadly plague events, "depopulation!" "refuges!" or "baby boom!" events...

I'd just like to get the start-up right, for now :) but I do agree with you.

jay.

I know this was brought up before, but I think it was tossed as history getting in the way of game balance.
I agree it would be good for us to know what the actual populations were, but if we were to implement it evenly accross the setup some nations (like France) will be stronger.

Originally posted by Lord Tarleton
I agree it would be good for us to know what the actual populations were, but if we were to implement it evenly accross the setup some nations (like France) will be stronger.

Thats why I believe it to be a nice idea, but not a priority. You couldn't just change the numbers, you'd have to make sure they weren't upsetting balance to much.

Thats why I believe it to be a nice idea, but not a priority. You couldn't just change the numbers, you'd have to make sure they weren't upsetting balance to much.
This is definatly not a beta release issue...although this should be addressed as there seems to be little corralation between RWP at the time an GWP in whatever era you start in almost.