Accompanying with the new dev, ask a language problem

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kommunist Fried Chicken

Second Lieutenant
40 Badges
Feb 20, 2020
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
What does "Necrophage" mean?

In Chinese localisation, this origin means something like "the culture that eat corpses". But according to the description, I think it's like a culture that transform aliens into their form, like a kind of fungus or virus, instead of eating the aliens and pooping them out(and there's no evidence that they prefer to eat corpses rather than cooked food).

The difference confused me when I try to translate devs or something else, even talk to my friends. This translation is... strange, and I(and many Chinese players) am not satisfied with the Chinese localisation in many ways. It's better to listen different voices.

How can I get contact with the localisation team? I've got a load of suggestion.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Necrophage is odd in english as well, the latin means Death Eater, which as you said is really not what is going on in the game.

• 6Like
Reactions:
The species is called Necroid, but they kept that name for the portraits, so they had to come up with a different name for the origin (and the associated trait).

I agree that corpse-eater might be inaccurate description of what they do, not just in Chinese. Keep in mind, they have reduced pop upkeep, so maybe they ARE eating corpses.

• 1Like
Reactions:
One way the civic can be interpreted is that dead aliens somehow allow the necrophage species to reproduce when they otherwise can't (maybe they have to lay their eggs in the corpses like a wasp, or they can only become pregnant after eating pineal glands from an intelligent species, or whatever). It's not necessarily the case that aliens are directly transformed into members of the necrophage species, although it might work that way.

• 1Like
Reactions:
They're reverse corpse eaters in a way. Near-Dead Creatures that feast on the Living to sustain or expand their undead race.

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Necrophage is odd in english as well, the latin means Death Eater, which as you said is really not what is going on in the game.
Ahem. Greek. And it means "eater of the dead".

"Death eater" in Greek-derived English would be thanatophage.

• 5Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Well, at least they literally translate it right...But I think it's not enough, especially for paid works. "Fidelity, fluency and elegance" are the value of translators in my mind.
I'm wondering how do you understand it, does it have some explanation, or just "Necrophage is Necrophage"?

The species is called Necroid, but they kept that name for the portraits, so they had to come up with a different name for the origin (and the associated trait).

I agree that corpse-eater might be inaccurate description of what they do, not just in Chinese. Keep in mind, they have reduced pop upkeep, so maybe they ARE eating corpses.
At least in English(maybe and other Latin family languages, but I'm not sure), the prefix "Necro-" shows some relation between "Necroid" and "Necrophage", till it may be hard to describe, but in Chinese, they make no sense, and easy to confused people. Maybe only devs can answer the question.
For the last sentence, I've supposed they are just metabolism slowly, like turtle. Eating corpses may be too wild for a space civilization.

One way the civic can be interpreted is that dead aliens somehow allow the necrophage species to reproduce when they otherwise can't (maybe they have to lay their eggs in the corpses like a wasp, or they can only become pregnant after eating pineal glands from an intelligent species, or whatever). It's not necessarily the case that aliens are directly transformed into members of the necrophage species, although it might work that way.
But if necrophage will spawn from dead aliens, they don't need to "study the practices and rituals", at least they should keep their memory. Here comes a question, what kind of death will keep memory? Or should we call this situation "death"?

Reactions:
At least in English(maybe and other Latin family languages, but I'm not sure), the prefix "Necro-" shows some relation between "Necroid" and "Necrophage", till it may be hard to describe, but in Chinese, they make no sense, and easy to confused people. Maybe only devs can answer the question.
For the last sentence, I've supposed they are just metabolism slowly, like turtle. Eating corpses may be too wild for a space civilization.

You mentioned "the culture that eat corpses", and in "corpses" there is a clear relation to the "necro-" in "necroid" and "necrophage". Additionally, the "eat" part is clearly a reference to the "-phage" suffix.

I'm not arguing that the naming is clear or good (it probably isn't), I'm just saying that, according to your adaptation back from Chinese to English, it's very similar to the meaning evoked by "necrophage" when I read it as a westerner. So as much as it is "confusing" or "makes no sense" in Chinese, when compared to how they actually operate, I can assure you the confusion also exists in the English version of the game

Also, "other Latin family languages" is probably not what you meant, since it implies that English is derived from Latin. English has a lot of Latin-derived vocabulary, mostly due to French influence, but it's not a Latin language by any means.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The term "necrophage" is in a bit of an odd spot. Its literal meaning is not immediately apparent to the vast majority of English speakers (native or no), but necro- is common enough that most will see the word and associate it with death. Gamers are more likely to recognize it from other games like Witcher 3 and Endless Legend as well. Since only people with an interest in either biology or etymology (or who speak Greek) are likely to notice or care, necrophage serves as a word that is both somewhat accurate (association with death) and somewhat familiar. Only pedants (like myself) are likely to be bothered.

Since the translators opted to actually translate the term in the Mandarin localization, they should have considered their choice more carefully so as not to confuse people playing the game in Mandarin.

Edit:

At least in English(maybe and other Latin family languages, but I'm not sure), the prefix "Necro-" shows some relation between "Necroid" and "Necrophage",

You are correct that the use of necro- will create an immediate relationship between necroids and necrophages (and the concept of death) in the minds of English speakers and likely those of other European languages as well, though this doesn't have much to do with Latin since the term is Greek and English is a Germanic language, not a Romance one.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Ahem. Greek. And it means "eater of the dead".

"Death eater" in Greek-derived English would be thanatophage.
Sorry, knew it was one of the classical languages and assumed latin because it sounded more latin than greek.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sorry, knew it was one of the classical languages and assumed latin because it sounded more latin than greek.
If it contains ph, rh, th, or y, it's very likely to be Greek.

(The name for 'y' in several of the Romance languages literally means "Greek 'i'" :))

• 2Like
Reactions:
If it contains ph, rh, th, or y, it's very likely to be Greek.

(The name for 'y' in several of the Romance languages literally means "Greek 'i'" :))
Used to be for a time, yes. But later on, native Latin words containing digraphs traditionally used to transcribe Greek have appeared.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Necrophage is Greek through and through, Greek prefix and Greek suffix.

Latin counterpart is "Carivore", or "Mortivore", both unattested, because we just call them Scavengers in English.

Our current classifications are disappointing because the biologists have passed up some cool names. Carrion eaters are just carrion carnivores or scavengers. Then we also have some worms and mushrooms feeding off the decomposing dead, and they are either called Necrophage or Detrivore.

From a brief study of the word "Necrophage", I am seeing some Witcher's influence here.

Used to be for a time, yes. But later on, native Latin words containing digraphs traditionally used to transcribe Greek.
Technically they are all English. The Greek is Νεκροφαγος, transcribed into Latin spells Necrophagos.

Necrophage is in English.

It's just when we say a word in English is Latin or Greek, it doesn't refer to the language of the word. But the etymological source of the word, that is either Latin or Greek.

It is Greek in English or Latin in English, but not in Greek or in Latin, for all these words.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, at least they literally translate it right...But I think it's not enough, especially for paid works. "Fidelity, fluency and elegance" are the value of translators in my mind.
I'm wondering how do you understand it, does it have some explanation, or just "Necrophage is Necrophage"?

But if necrophage will spawn from dead aliens, they don't need to "study the practices and rituals", at least they should keep their memory. Here comes a question, what kind of death will keep memory? Or should we call this situation "death"?
Maybe I can help you. I am from Hong Kong so I know how to read Chinese. What are the corresponding Chinese words that you are finding confusing? Let me see if I can help explain.

But then, the Necrophage in Stellaris has been designed to confuse. The way it is now feels like parasitic assimilation.

Necrophage means litteraly Corpse eaters, its not only chinees localization, its just a name for the origin, that seems to be translated accurately (tho i believe names should be never translated, and always stays original).
But in a sense they do feed on corpses, but not litteraly, they are growing through death of other species, very simmilar to necromorph from "alien" series.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
For all we know elevation centers are for fine dining.

They might be eating the dead in there.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Necrophage is in English.

It's just when we say a word in English is Latin or Greek, it doesn't refer to the language of the word. But the etymological source of the word, that is either Latin or Greek.

It is Greek in English or Latin in English, but not in Greek or in Latin, for all these words.
That’s not what I meant. I just added that words with “ph” with them MAY have a Latin origin rather than a Greek one, because the French substituted P for PH in many words, a prime example being “nephew”, which is absolutely a word derived from Latin, but the “ph” could throw you off.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think they were following the "rule of cool" when they came up with the name. I tend to interpret it less literally: Necrophages are scary undead-like or death obsessed creatures that are here to eat YOU!

• 1Like
Reactions:
That’s not what I meant. I just added that words with “ph” with them MAY have a Latin origin rather than a Greek one, because the French substituted P for PH in many words, a prime example being “nephew”, which is absolutely a word derived from Latin, but the “ph” could throw you off.
This is interesting. It's Nepos in Latin but the French was like "Let's confuse our people by using ph." Thanks for the lesson.

• 1Haha
Reactions: