• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Recently returned to Stellaris (and the new launcher) after taking a break in December.

@Deuterium Oxide thanks for the updates, the improvements have not gone unnoticed.

So a new Stellaris patch has been released, which means mod update time. How can I get the launcher to realize one of my local mods has been updated? If I change the supported_version in both mod/mymod.mod and mod/mymod/descriptor.mod from 2.5.* to 2.6.*, the launcher doesn't recognize that and still thinks it's a 2.5 mod. How do I get the launcher to read the descriptor files instead of using the cache (I assume)?

So the launcher keeps overwriting the path in my .mod files for local mods. No matter what I do, it always sets it to
"C:/Users/USERNAME/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/mod/ModName"
. It shouldn't be doing this, because that doesn't work for finding the mods. I'd love a workaround or something so I can update my mods sometime.

Do you mean literally that string? Or your actual user name and mod name?

If the latter, where are you wanting it to find them?

I believe that is defined in launcher-settings.json in the Steam Stellaris folder.

With that string, I do mean my actual username, and I've tried several mods, so I made it like that.

It should simply be
mod/MODNAME
, with the setting sin the launcher defaulting to the Stellaris Documents folder, but if I change it, the launcher edits it back.

Also, a new mod created by the launcher at least appears in the list, but I can't activate it because "The descriptor file is missing". I would think that it would be fine with the thing that it created, but here we are.

So I've been on and off about trying to make this work, and my launcher will not read any local mods. I can send mine to someone else, and they work. Someone else can send me theirs that do work, and they won't.

I hope this means I get to be a tester for something, cause at least then something good would come out of this.

Oh, I found something that did work.

Manually editing the mods_registry.json to insert the necessary data for the mod had the launcher read it properly.

I think the Paradox Launcher is ignoring the 'Mod' directory entirely somehow, at least in regards to Stellaris. It's reporting mods that don't exist, and not registering changes.

Another update. Manually editing the mods_registry.json to recognize one of my local mods makes it recognize all of them.

Now, I'm looking at mods_registry.json but it's....difficult to comprehend, both in Notepad and Notepad++. What's the minimum one needs to put down in there?
After the first colon, insert

{"gameRegistryId":"mod/James Fire's New Tech.mod", "path":"mod/James Fire's New Tech","cause":"},

with your modname. It'll show up. This has worked for me and 2 other users that I know of now.

....Not only did it not show up, not only did what I typed disappear from the json file, but now all the Steam Mods are showing as disabled; it thinks the descriptor files are missing. And even deleting the json to make it recreate hasn't helped.

To fix that, delete all the ugc files in the mod folder, and the json. Then start the launcher to regenerate the json.

At the start of the registry, there should be something like this.
{"f3c4ca2f-24e4-4ac3-85ca-4ddbb99f14cb":

Right after that should do it, using your correct path and name. It did that to me too, and trying again fixed it. I've also found that not having unupdated mods in the mod folder helps, as doing this thing with the manual insertion appears to cause it to search the whole mod folder, and fail if it finds anything that isn't up to date, or maybe simply too many.

Too many? That's a problem. I have 288, many from Steam. And that was after deleting and redownloading all the Steam Mods-5.5 GB worth.

Edit: Nope. Text still disappears, still disables all Steam Mods.

Okay, repeat: delete all the ugc files in the mod folder, and the json. Then start the launcher to regenerate the json. Check here if Steam mods are working. If they aren't, disregard the rest of this, and report.

Make sure your local mods all have a .mod file, with the supported version being 2.6.*, and with the path being

mod/YOURMODNAME

and a descriptor that is an exact copy in the modname folder.

And then again insert the previously mentioned string. If it still isn't working, we've got to the end of how I can help you over text, and I'll start needing screenshots to ensure you're doing each step correctly.

Too many local mods, it would be. I have 140 steam mods, and they work fine, but if I try to add all my local mods at once, some 30 of them, it dies.

Thanks a lot to James Fire for the fix. I was having a problem where my local mods were appearing in the launcher, but not appearing in-game when enabled.

If anyone's out there trying this same fix, remember to do it while the launcher is open. If you close the launcher, edit the files, then open the launcher, the launcher will simply overwrite everything you just did.

I'm not normally one to get negative over things like this, but, respectfully, this is stupid. I should not have to manually edit files at run-time every time I want to play this game.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot to James Fire for the fix. I was having a problem where my local mods were appearing in the launcher, but not appearing in-game when enabled.

If anyone's out there trying this same fix, remember to do it while the launcher is open. If you close the launcher, edit the files, then open the launcher, the launcher will simply overwrite everything you just did.

I'm not normally one to get negative over things like this, but, respectfully, this is stupid. I should not have to manually edit files at run-time every time I want to play this game.
Fully agree. It was very frustrating now being able to do anything, but at least with this workaround, I know there's something I can do to fix it, if I want to put in the effort.

So it's no longer just being completely unable to play with local mods. I hope this gets fixed sometime soon, cause I have mods to maintain, and doing this every time is not my idea of fun.

I think the launcher is a nice addition to the game, as someone coming back after a long time to EU4, it's nice to have a DLC and Mod overview.
Once it's fixed, it'll be great. But as it stands, mods are only useable sometimes. Which is a large part of the playerbase here. And we could already see the mods and DLC we had with the old launcher, so that's not new.