• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Trytols

Captain
32 Badges
Mar 4, 2012
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
Hi.

My simple request is to add some flavour to the Florentine republic elections, and in extent to others "signorie" in Europe where the case is similar to Florence.

There is no need to change government forms, or create new one.

According to history for much of the time between 1115 and 1537 Florence was a republic dominanted
by various combinations of nobles, merchants, guilds and peoples representatives. The republic was so dominated by one person or family that it was in effect a dictatorship or oligarchy.

Sadly the actual in game republic candidates options doesnt reflect this very much, cause there is no choice to keep the same family in power unless re-elect the same ruler until dictatorship.

My suggestion is easy: THEOCRACY-STYLE elections for florence.

The options will be about to chose which of the families "de'medici \ degli albizzi \ coventino \ pizzichelli" will rule after the previous ruler.

Options, buffs, bonus and malus will be created for balance the choice, but this will keep the flavour of have just some families in power in the republic.

Does paradox is satisfied with the current method or this request can be take as an option for better roleplay?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Italy needs a bit of polishing in general. It is a shame that such an interesting region has many nations with the abysmal ''Italian ideas''. Pretty much the only options for playing in Italy are Milan, Venice and Florence (if you don't mind restarting a hundred times).

IMO republics in general need a little attention since its too hard to become one. Republic --> Monarchy = easy. The other way around requires you to have 2 set idea groups.

The fact is that the election style in game doesnt represent the truth and are immersion breaking stuff.

They should be less generical for some republics as Venice or Florence. There was no "elections" each 4 years in those republics, but often their rulers reign for life. Get rid of Cosimo after elections and all flavour is gone. There is no chance to get Lorenzo il Magnifico or Machiavelli in any way. No Leonardo, No events.... Nothing.

It doesnt feel to play as the birthplace of Renaissance in any way, not in political leaders nor cause the lack of events.

I had a different suggestion for Florence:

Give them the same type of government than the Dutch Republic, and replace Orangists by Medici and Statists by Signoria. As for the Dutch Republic, Medici rulers stay in power for life and Signoria rulers for a 4 years term.

As the Dutch Republic government is a part of the Res Publica DLC, this Florentine Republic should be aswell. But there is precedent to an update of old DLCs, namely the Random New World.

I argue that the Respublica DLC should have included this feature from the start, but it's never too late. :)

With this suggestion, you make possible various famous Medici rulers, and the modelisation is close to the historical situation. Also, this doesn't require extensive coding, except event modification.

I had a different suggestion for Florence:

Give them the same type of government than the Dutch Republic, and replace Orangists by Medici and Statists by Signoria. As for the Dutch Republic, Medici rulers stay in power for life and Signoria rulers for a 4 years term.

As the Dutch Republic government is a part of the Res Publica DLC, this Florentine Republic should be aswell. But there is precedent to an update of old DLCs, namely the Random New World.

I argue that the Respublica DLC should have included this feature from the start, but it's never too late. :)

With this suggestion, you make possible various famous Medici rulers, and the modelisation is close to the historical situation. Also, this doesn't require extensive coding, except event modification.

This would be perfect. It is very easy to code and implement in game and it will give those italian states some historical flavour.
I really dont know why nobody in paradox staff ever tought about this simple modifications.
I really would know their opinion about this suggestions, but seems like they are not interested about.

After all is not a "buff" request, but a simple historical government form improvement.
It could be easily coded in less than 1 hour and put in 1.22 patch... Unless they have other plans about this topic...

Since @Trin Tragula is working on 1.22 maybe he could tell us his opinion about this.

Last edited: