• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

froglegs

Colonel
4 Badges
Mar 10, 2005
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • 500k Club
I have been playing CORE for some time multiplayer. In current game I, as USA produced an a-bomb and attached it to a B29 and dropped it on Germany a month or so later. Nice effects. I have a level 6 reactor and soon it was a level 7. However, it is 5 months later and no new a-bomb has appeared at my reactor site.

How long should this take?

I have been playing HOI2 since 2005 and this is only my 2nd a-bomb and the last time was in 2006. Do anybody out there understand how these work anymore?

I'm not that familiar with nuke production mechanics, but nuke production should be low within the timeframe. Producing enough fissionable material took several years per bomb in 1945... The US only ended up with both Little Boy and Fat Man by having Oak Ridge and Hanford working full blast in parallel. I do know we have toned its use down because of it. Tactically it's not a wonder weapon to appear in large numbers. It can be a game changer however. I've managed to produce a whopping one in all of my HoI2 and CORE years, ending up dropping it after my US troops fighting WWIII massively stalling for months in Eastern Poland. The Soviet defense collapsed because of it, being a brick wall just moments before.

Decades ago I recall reading that by August 1945 that the US could produce 1 bomb every other month . I have waited 6 for the second and It still has not arrived.

JR

You're right it seems... The production rate of 3 bombs per month in August was expected to rise to 5 bombs per month in November, and 7 bombs per month in December. In 1946, it could rise much higher.

Source: General Groves to Chief of Staff, “Memorandum to the Chief of Staff,” July 30, 1945, U.S. National Archives, MED records, TS Manhattan Project files '42-'46, folder 5B, copy in The Atomic Bomb and the End of World War II: A Collection of Primary Sources, National Security Archive Briefing Book No. 162, edited by William Burr, The National Security Archive, Washington D.C.

So it seems that, though it took years to move from non-grade to nuclear-grade material, halfway 1945 they had enough throughput in place to speed up bomb production.

I understand what you mean.

I have been playing "War Games" since 1960 with Avalon Hill's "Tactics II". Most "historical" games favored the loser.

I actually agree with you about game-play aspects of the a-bomb. However, the bias should never nave been hard coded into the game for it spoils the simulation.

I have been playing HOI2 since 2005 and have only built 2 bombs and dropped one. I am playing 3 player CORE and after giving Japan and Germany a whole lot of added benefits arrived at a point in the game where the a-bomb was just about the only way to win. So I tried it. The game play aspects of the game should not be hard coded so that the doable event cannot be done.