• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nikolai II

A bunny with a hat
131 Badges
Nov 18, 2001
www.giantitp.com
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • War of the Roses
  • Lead and Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
With painstaking effort and plenty of help from the FtG design team (or at least a programmer ;)) and great help from posters on this forum, the Aberration 1.08 for EU2 has now been converted into a playable mod for FtG.

I am calling it a beta because there might be plenty of minor conversion problems remaining, and because I've been promised a slew of events and will probably tinker with a few files more before claiming that it is a true "For the Glory" release.

There, then. Now that the disclaimers are done with, what is Aberration?
Aberration was created mainly with one thing in mind - ahistoricity.

In Multiplay there was a lot of roles decided ahead of time, by our own hindsight. Some of these roles were even affected by the game engine, like Portugal and Spain having the Treaty of Tordesilla. Others were enforced, by editing if needed. Like to get a Netherlands colonizing nation because history said that there used to be one, no matter how well Spain or Austria might have been able to quell the insurrections in this particular game.

Similarly, in Single Play, if would often be annoying to see Spain constantly fail at Colonizing the Americas and Conquering the Natives, or closer at home to see the Ottoman Turks fail at Becoming a Menace and Threaten Christendom at the heart of Europe.

The solution was a stroke of genius, as simple as it was straightforward. Altering history even before the game begins. Suddenly the game can not lull you into a sense of being a re-enactment of history and turns fully into a what-if scenario-simulator. A what-if scenario made to favor the underdogs of history, because who doesn't sympathize with the underdog?

That the remake also was made with Multiplayer in mind and offers a larger number of approximately equal-powered nations to play with is only icing on the cake. :D

So, the world of Aberration is.. well, different.

Granada has managed to stave off the reconquista with a battle about as lucky as the one which allowed them to conquer Spain in the first place. This means that the phenomena of Spain and Portugal are more of rallying cries than hard realities.

Meanwhile Byzantium managed to avert the disaster at Manzikert and have declined much slower than in our timeline. This meant that the Ottoman Turks had no European power base to retreat to when they insulted Tamerlane, and the Anatolian highlands are as fragmented as ever.

And at the third corner of Europe, things are as much the same as they are different. Finnish nationalism was stronger, or just better supported by Novgorod and orthodox missionaries, than in our timeline, so the Swedish conquest of Finland faltered and died with merely the province of Finland, while the Norwegian fortress of Vardöhus was burned down or conquered soon after its inception. This left Sweden a slightly weaker nation and its noblemen slightly less obnoxious in the Kalmar Union. And with Norway using Scottish support to deny the same union, Denmark was more prone to give a little in return for what they got, forming a more stable Union of Kalmar which might well hold fast down the ages.

But will it, or will it all fall apart again? That is up to you as a player to decide?

And what has happened to England? (Gone) France? (Gone) Austria? (Gone) The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth? (No Lithuania means no PLC, so also Gone) Why? How? What has come in their stead? This, and more, will you learn if you download Aberration today!

(Instead of the beta version, you should download the pretty much finalized version, thanks to ViktorVVV)

Should work with 1.3 beta : http://www.mediafire.com/?szpj3nn7gb3jedf

(copied cultures.txt, religiousevents.txt, randomreligiousevents.txt, religions.txt and their corresponding English localization files from Vanilla FTG 1.2 in the Aberration folder, + minor fixes)

Attachments

• AberrationFTGbeta.zip
    2,8 MB · Views: 475
  • AberrationFTG_20121201.zip
    2,9 MB · Views: 191
Last edited:
My favorite too, which is why I went through the troubles of converting it :D
(And obtaining permission to take it over ;))

And feel free to use this thread for bugreports, comments and suggestions. :)

Yay. I will give it a try.:)

Couple of comments from my initial playthrough: wars seem to start pretty easily. Loading a save game is a guarantee to see a dozen wars start up overnight. Don't know if that's the intention.

City populations seem a bit off. 40,000 for Constantinople?

What's with all the provinces with Protestant/Reformed religions at the start of the game?

And it needs more events. :p

Still good fun.

Interesting. I will maybe buy FtG though I keep thinking Eu3 is better than EU2/FtG for a mod like Interregnum :)

EU3 is probably better for this sort of game, since it is a sandbox game from day one, while EU2 was a history simulation game, but there were two reasons for why I did this instead.

1. I had already worked on this mod and felt it should be upgraded to FTG now that I am a proud owner. It was also made in EU2 style which made it comparatively simple work to turn into a FtG mod while making it EU3 would demand a whole lot of re-thinking to make sure that each nation got to keep a "flavor".

2. It looked as if someone was doing an Aberration for EU3 and Interregnum might be on its way to be ported to either EU3 or FtG. Aberration for FtG gave me the option to "be in charge" ;)

Wow! This looks super awsome I'm gonna try it out right now. My favorite thing to do in paradox games is to re-wright history so this looks like the perfect mod for me:)

Feel free to come with suggestions about how to re-write the setting history or the faux future as well. :)

Yay. I will give it a try.:)

Thank you. I hope it will be at least as fun as when you made it in the first place ;)

Couple of comments from my initial playthrough: wars seem to start pretty easily. Loading a save game is a guarantee to see a dozen wars start up overnight. Don't know if that's the intention.

City populations seem a bit off. 40,000 for Constantinople?

What's with all the provinces with Protestant/Reformed religions at the start of the game?

And it needs more events. :p

Still good fun.

Wars.. well, somewhat, perhaps. We'll have to keep an eye on that and see if it is much more than usual, in which case relations might have to be adjusted. Still, a possible reason is that there are so many potential targets when most alliances are about equal strength.

City populations are just that. IRL Constantinople had even less at this time, IIRC. Or did you think it was too high? :p

Religions.. hmm.. that should be a bug. Probably a result from having been ported from EU2 after the change that allowed protestantism before Luther (to portray the Husites.)
That'll take a while to fix, I'm afraid. I'll have to look into how FtG/AGCEEP handles those wars of religion and province religions so that provinces are not protestant/reformed before their time has come..

Wars.. well, somewhat, perhaps. We'll have to keep an eye on that and see if it is much more than usual, in which case relations might have to be adjusted. Still, a possible reason is that there are so many potential targets when most alliances are about equal strength.

Perhaps. Most of the majors are at war within a month, usually with the same countries/alliances every time.

City populations are just that. IRL Constantinople had even less at this time, IIRC. Or did you think it was too high?

True, but the Byzantine Empire at that point wasn't much more than Constantinople itself. Unless the empire has undergone some other catastrophe that I failed to notice, it should be far higher. Same with Baghdad.

But then again, this is your alt-history. :p

That'll take a while to fix, I'm afraid. I'll have to look into how FtG/AGCEEP handles those wars of religion and province religions so that provinces are not protestant/reformed before their time has come..

:confused: It should just be a matter of changing the provinces' starting religions back to catholic.

Nikolai, as promisesd you can find the last release candidate of A4K under the following link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/353570617/A4K_0.83.rar

Thanks. Rapidshare is overloaded right now, but I'll keep trying. :)

Perhaps. Most of the majors are at war within a month, usually with the same countries/alliances every time.

True, but the Byzantine Empire at that point wasn't much more than Constantinople itself. Unless the empire has undergone some other catastrophe that I failed to notice, it should be far higher. Same with Baghdad.

But then again, this is your alt-history. :p

:confused: It should just be a matter of changing the provinces' starting religions back to catholic.

Wars: I might have to take a look at the warmonger ratings for the various AI:s, to see if they should be scaled down a notch. I'll await further testing there, though. :)

Constantinople: Point taken, and population changed to the IRL 1481 figure. (Which is still lower than the old Paradox 1419 value) I think they might have been lowered to avert some of the dreaded "999.999 population" cities.

Religion: Ah, that would be it, then. In EU2 it used to be that provinces had their future religions set in stone, so a province that was supposed to become protestant had that value in its "province religion" in 1419, then the engine would reveal it one the proper reformation came about.
Now some religions are altered in the Scenarios/AGC/provs_1419.txt, but the engine no longer hides them. I guess the easiest way for me to find out what will happen is to remove those markers (as you say) and then play past a reformation or two..

Is there a new map in this mod?:eek:

No new map, no, that would be the "Aberration for Kasperus World" that Basileios II linked to above (which is not for For the Glory, to my knowledge).
The only difference between the usual map and this is that I've added a port in Italy for the Milanese navy. (Although I'm considering that I should maybe add another few ports, but no move in that direction is in the works yet.)

That limit no longer applies in FTG if I recall correctly.

That is nifty, but I can't really mind any attempts at keeping city populations fairly low.. ;)

By the way, I've corrected the file in the beta in the first post so that there won't be any protestant or reformed provinces from game start. :)

That's great. I've managed to download Basileus' rapidshare eventually and indeed, there are some very nice events in there. Can't wait to see them implemented. (Even dear old Ragusa has some very interesting choices.):D

I just managed to get them too. (How clogged can Rapidshare get, seriously?)

So I'll try to find some time to look them over and test them one after the other during the week. Hopefully 1.2 will be out by the time I have looked them all over, so I can use that to check the integrity of the (probably flawless) code before releasing it. :)

But else I'll release it anyway, as long as it seems to be working. As it was said - people want more events, always :p

Are you intending on porting this to the WATK or some other non-regular map? Since I've always been fascinated by this mod and Interregnum, I am interested in contributing to this mod: events and historicity would be what I'm best at.

Damn good to see one of my favourite EU2 mods converted to FTG. Had I not as much work currently as I do right now IRL, I'd gladly download it and try as soon as possible. I guess this'll have to wait for some better times for me...

Are you intending on porting this to the WATK or some other non-regular map? Since I've always been fascinated by this mod and Interregnum, I am interested in contributing to this mod: events and historicity would be what I'm best at.

Basileios II was in the past, and once the groundwork has been laid by finishing it for the standard map, it should be reasonably easy to convert it to the AGCEEP or WatK map. (And this will also give them more time to finish their respective maps)

But right now I'll be working in the other direction. Translating events made for an old version of WatK back to the FtG vanilla map.

Damn good to see one of my favourite EU2 mods converted to FTG. Had I not as much work currently as I do right now IRL, I'd gladly download it and try as soon as possible. I guess this'll have to wait for some better times for me...

Well, Work is King, as they (I) say. Depending upon how long you'll be busy, the beta or even the 1.0 release will be around waiting for you when you are done. :)

So I just got around to realy testing this out. I was having a lot of fun playing as the Byzantine Empire but when I went to load up a save game I got an error message that said "Provance 67 is controled by Iroquois but has no owner" or something like that. I can upload the save if that would be helpful. Thanks in advance for any help.