• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vivat, vivat! Glory to the best AARthor to come out of the bleak fields of the Midwest and his excellent graphic skill that only pale in comparison to his written writ.

Thank you Svip for the honor of AARtist of the Month!

When I started Rome AARisen, I had no idea how to use Photoshop or any graphics tools whatsoever (and, well, it shows early in the story.. :rofl:). I've mostly learned through trial and error, in both the AAR and side projects, so to receive this award means a great deal to me... it's an affirmation that all those hours cursing because the layer button didn't do what I thought it did, or other silly things, was well worth it and people have enjoyed the end result. I haven't done a battlemap in quite a while... It's time I do another... :)

Ironically when I first started, I'd envisioned RA to avoid using movie stills for character pictures at all--now they're a staple. I can't claim credit myself for finding all of those pictures... [AlexanderPrimus, RGB, and Calipah have all been a tremendous help in pointing me to websites that have good movie stills such as Long Ago Captures, or sharing their own collections of images with me (RGB and Calipah deserve special thank yous here). Without their help, I doubt I would have half the character images I do.

Thank you all once again, and I hope people continue to enjoy the artwork I put into the story!

Nice choice. Congratulations General_BT :)

Grats BT. :)

Thank you everyone for you kind words, but its time to think about selecting a new AARtist of the Month. I've started looking for my successor, and I'd be more than happy to entertain nominations from you all!

After looking around, I've settled on the next AARtist of the Month--Saithis, for her work in Piety of the North Star. The AAR has a blend of in game graphics, usually done with tasteful borders (something I haven't been able to accomplish), as well as an excellent choice of art to illustrate the story. Congratulations, Saithis!

Last edited:
Congrats Saithis. :)

Congratulations, Saithis! :)

It's an honour and a privelege to be chosen for this award, but I'm glad to know that the many, many hours of work I spent trying to find and perfect an art style have paid off.

I've started to "update" my old graphics with newer ones, despite the fact that I may risk pulling a Lucas. I'm not swapping out images or anything, I'm mostly just updating the old borders to those with new ones (although I may photoshop the MTW images to use the proper heraldry on some certain battle images, such as Krutoj's Obotrites being played by Hungarians...) so you may see a decline in quality followed by a return to normal quality until that's finished. It's relatively low priority.

Finding good pictures is pretty hard as I almost always work solo (although RGB has helpfully lent me some of his own pictures, the majority of my work has been self-collected/edited/drawn), so I'm quite proud of what I have managed to find so far.

Thanks for all the congratulations, I hope to keep striving to improve my AARt and impress!

Last edited:
Congratulations, BT and Sai.

Always glad to see good people get recognition!

Alright, sorry this is a little late! Real life made me forget, despite reminding myself several times before the date passed.

I'd like to nominate Sensational, the writer of What do you mean "They're going to war"? I'm the real shogun! - Ashikaga AAR.

Long-winded title aside, I feel the AAR is a good example of how you can do more with less - it doesn't use fancy filters, excessive amounts of external imagery or anything other than Sengoku's own screenshots, photoshop and a good sense of composition to create an attractive, dynamic set of visuals out of surprisingly little. I feel it's a good example to anyone who wants to spice up their AAR, but doesn't want to put in hours of effort searching for images or drawing complex, highly detailed works. Hopefully others will agree!

In any case, that's my nomation. Congratulations, Sensational!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.