• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Favorite AAR, EU3 - canonized - "Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World?"
Favorite Narrative AAR, EU3 - thrashingmad "History of the White Eagle"
Favorite Comedy AAR, EU3
Favorite History-Book AAR, EU3 - English Patriot "Woodhouse Dynasty"
Favorite Gameplay AAR, EU3

Favorite AAR, HOI1/2 - Myth " Permanently Operating Factors - A Soviet LAN AAR"
Favorite Narrative AAR, HOI1/2 - TheHyphenated "Weltkriegschaft"
Favorite Comedy AAR, HOI1/2
Favorite History-Book AAR, HOI1/2 - Mr Hearts " Legacy of Rome: A Byzantine AAR"
Favorite Gameplay AAR, HOI1/2

Favorite AAR, CK - Jestor " The Beautiful Girl in the History Class"
Favorite Narrative AAR, CK - jeffg006 "Regnum Angevinus ~ A Plantagenet EmpiAAR"
Favorite Comedy AAR, CK - Alfred Packer "Adventures of the Crovan Clan"
Favorite History-Book AAR, CK - VILenin "A History of Byzantium"
Favorite Gameplay AAR, CK

Favorite AAR, Vicky - DerKaiser "The Golden Nation"
Favorite Narrative AAR, Vicky - jeffg006 "Empire Under Heaven"
Favorite Comedy AAR, Vicky - Kaixxor "We AAR All Doomed! A Terribly Odd Prussia AAR."
Favorite History-Book AAR, Vicky - Estonianzulu ""The Footsteps of Illustrious Men"- USA GC AAR"
Favorite Gameplay AAR, Vicky

Favorite AAR, EU1/2 Mettermrck "The Eagles of Avalon"
Favorite Narrative AAR, EU1/2 - Duke of Wellington " Golden Horde - Scourge From The East"
Favorite Comedy AAR, EU1/2
Favorite History-Book AAR, EU1/2 - SeanB "The Fallen Eagle"
Favorite Gameplay AAR, EU1/2

Favorite Graphics, Overall: AlexanderPrimus "Chronicles of the Golden Cross"
Favorite New Writer, Overall: AlexanderPrimus "Chronicles of the Golden Cross"

Last edited:
Favorite AAR, EU3: Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World? by canonized
Favorite Narrative AAR, EU3: Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World? by canonized
Favorite Comedy AAR, EU3: There There might be Vikings out there! Or: how I accidentally traded my wife for a halibut by Grubnessul
Favorite History-Book AAR, EU3: Rebirth of England: History of the Woodhouse Dynasty by English Patriot
Favorite Gameplay AAR, EU3: Sforza!!! - A Milan AAR by Rensslaer

To be filled in over time.

Favorite AAR, EU3
Favorite Narrative AAR, EU3 : Timelines:What if Spain Failed to Control the World by canonized
Favorite Comedy AAR, EU3
Favorite History-Book AAR, EU3 : Rebirth of England: History of the Woodhouse Dynasty by English Patriot
Favorite Gameplay AAR, EU3 : What if the Pope had 200,000 Men by Safferli

Favorite AAR, HOI1/2: For King and Country by Draco Rexus
Favorite Narrative AAR, HOI1/2: Permanently Operating Factors - A Soviet LAN AAR by Myth
Favorite Comedy AAR, HOI1/2:
Favorite History-Book AAR, HOI1/2

Favorite AAR, CK: Rome AARisen - a Byzantine AAR by General_BT
Favorite Narrative AAR, CK: Rome AARisen - a Byzantine AAR by General_BT
Favorite Comedy AAR, CK
Favorite History-Book AAR, CK: Chronicles of the Golden Cross by AlexanderPrimus

Favorite AAR, Vicky: "The Footsteps of Illustrious Men"- USA GC AAR by Estonianzulu
Favorite Narrative AAR, Vicky
Favorite Comedy AAR, Vicky
Favorite History-Book AAR, Vicky: "The Footsteps of Illustrious Men"- USA GC AAR by Estonianzulu

Favorite AAR, EU1/2
Favorite Narrative AAR, EU1/2
Favorite History-Book AAR, EU1/2: Shield of the West: A different kind of Byzantine AAR by SeanB

Favorite Graphics, Overall :
Favorite New Writer, Overall : Chronicles of the Golden Cross by AlexanderPrimus

Last edited:
<weeps>

I haven't read much over the last quarter...I'm a terrible readaar!...waa!

If I can get some time to do some reading I'll post a ballot...maybe. If not, it will be a sad month.

TheExecuter

I'm only active in the EU2 subforums, but I have always used the ACA to find fun and well-written AARs in the other subforums. However, lately I feel that some of the point of the ACA is gone, since some AARs is nominated and winning over and over again. By all means, those AARs do have a very high quality and deserves to get attention, but I'm sure I miss a lot of other good AARs this way. So, I propose that AARs that have won the ACA can't be nominated in the next one... perhaps a bit drastic, but it would at least bring some refreshment into this. It should be doable for EU3 and other active subforums, perhaps a bit harder for EU2 where there's few new AARs.

That's my $0.02.

Speaking as a new writAAR myself, I do believe that your heart is in the right place. It’s very important to ensure that new writAARs get noticed, or they will become discouraged. Call me an idealist, but I don’t think that this noble objective should come at the cost of AARs that already exist, nor should it force or confuse the voters in the ACA. Admittedly this is my first experience with these awards, but after speaking with some of the people who have been involved in previous years, it has become clear to me that winning is not necessarily the prime objective here. You’ll notice that there are a plethora of votes for different AARs in different categories. Each one is a nod to that author and each one will, hopefully, lead to them getting more attention. Winning the award itself is only an extra boost to our self-esteem.

The ACA is also different from the “X of the Week” awards because it shows that it’s a democratic process. Fellow authors and readers alike get an equal vote. It’s not based solely on one person’s opinions since there are so many people here. Winning awards is great, but the awards will lose their purpose and meaning if writAARs stopped earning them, and were simply chosen by committee, being set up to win just so that everyone has a turn. After all, the ACA was intended, as you said, to help encourage reading other AARs. It already does that by allowing you as an individual to publicly display your vote. Stopping people from endorsing their favorite writAARs would be robbing those authors of the acclaim of their own fans. The only thing worse than not getting any fans at all would be getting faux-fans who have been coerced into endorsing you for “fairness’ sake.” That’s not really fair; in fact, it’s communism. :)

Let’s also take a look at real life examples. Allow me to liken popular television programming to our AARs. The format is similar in many ways, and some programs are nominated for awards no matter how long they run. Sometimes TV shows like Everybody Loves Raymond or The Daily Show win awards consecutively. Is that also unfair? No, certainly not. Rather, you’d say that if the other TV shows want the award they should work harder to get it and edge out shows like Stargate, the Sopranos, etc.

And how about once you start winning AwAARds? Do you deserve it less in future after you’ve already won an ACA? You can voluntarily drop out like Amric did, that’s your prerogative. But who makes that decision? Why not let the people decide? Even then, should the people say “Okay, well writAAR X has already won Y awards, so I won’t vote for them even though they’re still the best?”

As a writAAR yourself you know how hard it is to actually write a good AAR. Lately I’ve been trying to read long ones like Timelines and Rome AARisen which are dozens of chapters long, and I know for a fact that these are not easy to write (or to read with perfect comprehension for that matter). Is it fair to stop people from recognizing the quality of their work? Does one say to people who have been writing for a long time like General_BT or Mettermrck that they should keep producing top quality work but that we’re just not going to give them any more awards for what they’re doing because they’ve had their turn? Even though these great writers would probably keep up their good work, they would definitely be discouraged.

Furthermore, many of these writers already do great things for the community and set a good example of encouraging readership. There are interviews, moderatorships, “Guess the Author,” and heck, plain word of mouth. Some writers like canonized even do guest spotlights in their own AARs.

I recently wrote for Instrumentality (now combined with the AARlander) which is run by a group of writers who want to encourage the community. Many of these people have already won the ACAs several times because they have done the most to help new writAARs get recognized. They are veritable celAARbrities, so of course they get noticed.

Nevertheless, I believe that a viable solution can be found. Anonymous4401 was very wise to add the “Favorite New writAAR” category. It’s exactly the kind of category you’re talking about. My proposal is simple: instead of just one of these categories, let’s do several. Have a “Favorite New writAAR EUIII” category, “Favorite New writAAR CK” category, and so forth, so that each sub-category gets its own new writAAR award. This will not only ensure that those AARs that deserve the recognition of their fans keep getting those nods of approval, it will also allow new writers to rise to the occasion.

I don’t think this should be implemented immediately since the ACA cycle has already begun and it would be unfair to surprise everyone with an abrupt rule change. However, I think that the recent retirement of anonymous4401 presents an excellent opportunity to update how the awards are conducted. I don’t think we should implement something quite as drastic as your suggestion (although it was well intentioned), but perhaps my idea or a variant of it might prove a good compromise for the next ACA?

Also, I think we should reserve this discussion for another thread if necessary, as it may detract from the voting that will be going on here.

Regards, Alexander

My only fear with repeat winners is whether or not people are voting for them for the work done during the relevant period. It is often the longer, more prestigious AARs that have a large readership and therefore win awards however sometimes these AARs actually have comparably less content written during the period than some of the lesser known, newer AARs. I see nothing wrong with the AAR with the largest readership winning just so long as readers aren't judging the AAR on the entirety but rather on the 3 months work. That's my philiosophy anyway. Do others think AARs should be judged in their entirety instead? I would think that a bit unfair.

I'll use this post as my placeholder too.

Favorite AAR, EU1/2: Resurrection: Rebirth of the United States by CatKnight
Favorite Narrative AAR, EU1/2: Meet Meck - he's a Minotaur by Farquharson (had Amric not have pulled out Byzantine's Khan would have got my vote)
Favorite Comedy AAR, EU1/2: Golden Horde - Scourge From The East by Duke of Wellington
Favorite History-Book AAR, EU1/2: The Fallen Eagle: A Byzantine Empire AAR by SeanB
Favorite Gameplay AAR, EU1/2: Dreams of a Baltic State - Pomerania AAR by Emperor_krk

Favorite New Writer, Overall: Where the Winds Take Me --- AAR by National_Cause

For almost each vote given there's an equally deserving runner up. It shows that whilst the game may be over 6 years old, the quality of AARs never fades.

Last edited:
Thanks for your viewpoints, Alexander - I agree with most of them. But, as you said, this isn't the right place to start a large discussion, so I'll keep my answer short. :)

My view of the ACA has always been (and will always be, I guess) a place where I could find older AARs which are/were popular. Therefore it is a bit frustrating to find the same AAR in several ACAs, instead of having new AARs each quarter. On the other hand, if I look at the ACA as a place where writers get their deserved attention, I think the current "setup" is working fine. I guess it all matters on how we understand the point of the ACA threads. :) (As a side note, I think the WritAAR of the week and Weekly Showcase threads work well as places where people get their deserved attention, although it's not very democratic).

I think your proposal sounds like a good compromise. I think we could have need for more categories like those.

Finally, I feel I haven't read enough AARs this winter, so I won't put up any votes yet.

Edit: Crosspost with The Swert. As an answer to your question I think it, not surprisingly, should not be decided on the entirety. ;)

Favorite AAR, Vicky - Nika! The Rise of Modern Greece by asd21593
Favorite Narrative AAR, Vicky - The Golden Nation: Californa (VIP) by DerKaiser
Favorite Comedy AAR, Vicky - We AAR All Doomed: A Terribly Odd Prussia AAR by Kaixxor
Favorite History-Book AAR, Vicky - Nika! The Rise of Modern Greece by asd21593
Favorite Gameplay AAR, Vicky - The World is Not Enough: A German WW1 AAR by Quirinus308

Favorite AAR, HOI1/2 - The Setting Sun - Gotterdammerung Japan 1944 By Remble
Favorite Narrative AAR, HOI1/2:
Favorite Comedy AAR, HOI1/2:
Favorite History-Book AAR, HOI1/2 - Africa Oriental Italiana shall not Fall: A Historical Italian AAR by Folgore

Last edited:
The only thing I'll add for the moment is that people need to read more. A wider number of AARs to choose from means that the voter will have a harder time picking the same ones quarter to quarter. As with all awards, these are as much popularity contest as anything, but if they get a few new readers to an AAR, then at least one goal is accomplished. :)

We can revisit the makeup once the round is finished, surely. As we continue to vote, let's keep these comments in mind however.

I've only recently become a readAAR and writAAR myself, and only in the EU2 forum so far, so my votes will stick to that this time around. I'll try to broaden my horizons in the future.

Favorite AAR, EU1/2- Dreams of a Baltic State-Pomerania AAR by Emperor_krk
Favorite Narrative AAR, EU1/2- The Eagles of Avalon by Mettermrck
Favorite Comedy AAR, EU1/2- Golden Horde: Scourge from the east by Duke of Wellington
Favorite History-Book AAR, EU1/2- Dreams of a Baltic State-Pomerania AAR by Emperor_krk
Favorite Gameplay AAR, EU1/2- Dreams of a Baltic State-Pomerania AAR by Emperor_krk

Last edited:
The Swert said:
Do others think AARs should be judged in their entirety instead? I would think that a bit unfair.

I think it should be solely on the work posted within the three months, because that gives a better scope for the AARwards than judging by everything that has ever been written for an AAR. For example, I was going to vote for a certain AAR, but found that it had only been updated once in the quarter, and the quality was not "up to snuff," so to speak, so I voted for a different one.

Favorite AAR, EU3: Timelines by canonized
Favorite Narrative AAR, EU3: Timelines by canonized
Favorite Comedy AAR, EU3
Favorite History-Book AAR, EU3
Favorite Gameplay AAR, EU3: All Island AAR by Capibara

Favorite AAR, HOI1/2: Crossfires by Atlantic Friend
Favorite Narrative AAR, HOI1/2
Favorite History-Book AAR, HOI1/2: Crossfires by Atlantic Friend

Favorite AAR, CK:
Favorite Narrative AAR, CK:
Favorite Comedy AAR, CK
Favorite History-Book AAR, CK: The Chronicles of the Golden Cross by AlexanderPrimus

Favorite Graphics, Overall: The Chronicles of the Golden Cross by AlexanderPrimus

Favorite AAR, EU3: Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World by canonized
Favorite Narrative AAR, EU3: Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World by canonized
Favorite Comedy AAR, EU3
Favorite History-Book AAR, EU3: Rebirth of England: The Woodhouse Dynasty by English Patriot
Favorite Gameplay AAR, EU3

Favorite AAR, HOI1/2
Favorite Narrative AAR, HOI1/2: The Manchurian Candidate by grayghost
Favorite History-Book AAR, HOI1/2

Favorite AAR, CK
Favorite Narrative AAR, CK
Favorite Comedy AAR, CK: Lo Llibre dels Feyts - The Book of Deeds by Kurt_STeiner
Favorite History-Book AAR, CK: A History of Byzantium by VILenin

Favorite AAR, Vicky: The Golden Nation- Californai (VIP) AAR by DerKaiser
Favorite Narrative AAR, Vicky: Empire Under Heaven ! Zhonguo (VIP) AAR by jeffg006
Favorite Comedy AAR, Vicky
Favorite History-Book AAR, Vicky: The Harp and Crown: An Irish AAR by RossN

Favorite AAR, EU1/2
Favorite Narrative AAR, EU1/2
Favorite History-Book AAR, EU1/2

Favorite Graphics, Overall
Favorite New Writer, Overall

Last edited:
My Votes:

Favorite AAR, EU3 Sforza!!! - A Milan AAR by Rensslaer
Favorite Narrative AAR, EU3 "Je Maintiendrai" - William of Orange and the Wars of Coalition by TreizeV
Favorite Comedy AAR, EU3 Resistance is Futile - The Borgundian Collective by merrick
Favorite History-Book AAR, EU3 The Ebony Cross and the Sacred Eagle (Era I) by rcduggan
Favorite Gameplay AAR, EU3 Sforza!!! - A Milan AAR by Rensslaer

Favorite AAR, HOI1/2 For King and Country by Draco Rexus
Favorite Narrative AAR, HOI1/2 Permanently Operating Factors - A Soviet LAN AAR by Myth & Discomb
Favorite History-Book AAR, HOI1/2 For King and Country by Draco Rexus
Favorite Gameplay AAR, HOI1/2 USAAR -- a 1936 ARMAGEDDON game (picture heavy) by Deus

Favorite AAR, CK The Machiavellian Adventures of Princess Eleanor by frogbeastegg
Favorite Narrative AAR, CK Regnum Angevinus ~ A Plantagenet EmpiAAR by jeffg006
Favorite Comedy AAR, CK Lo Llibre dels Feyts - The Book of Deeds by Kurt_Steiner
Favorite History-Book AAR, CK Arthur's Tale by Rex Angliae

Favorite AAR, Vicky A Special Providence by Director
Favorite Narrative AAR, Vicky A Special Providence by Director
Favorite Comedy AAR, Vicky We AAR All Doomed! A Terribly Odd Prussia AAR. by Kaixxor
Favorite History-Book AAR, Vicky "The Footsteps of Illustrious Men"- USA GC AAR by Estonianzulu
Favorite Gameplay AAR, Vicky The World is Not Enough, a German WW1 AAR by Quirinus308

Favorite AAR, EU1/2 Resurrection: Rebirth of the United States by CatKnight
Favorite Narrative AAR, EU1/2 Resurrection: Rebirth of the United States by CatKnight
Favorite Comedy AAR, EU1/2 Golden Horde - Scourge From The East by Duke of Wellington
Favorite History-Book AAR, EU1/2 Dreams of a Baltic State - Pomerania AAR by Emperor_krk
Favorite Gameplay AAR, EU1/2 Empire on the Oder - A Brandenburg/German AAR by Anarion

Favorite Graphics, Overall A Pictorial Lesson in the Art of Dynasty: Blood, Power et Conquest by 2Coats
Favorite New Writer, Overall Chronicles of the Golden Cross by AlexanderPrimus

I know there are more AARs I've either missed or overlooked and for that I am sorry. I've tried to look back to January for each category so I could fill out each one with an informed vote. That's one thing I like about the ACA. It causes you to look over more than one might usually read. Hopefully it broadens your reading list.

Last edited:
Favorite AAR, EU3: Sforza - A Milan AAR, by, Rensslaer
Favorite Narrative AAR, EU3: .....
Favorite Comedy AAR: ...
Favorite History-Book AAR, EU3: Ebony Cross and the Sacred Eagle by rcduggan
Favorite Gameplay AAR, EU3: Romance of the 11 Kingdoms, by [I forget, give me a minute]

What about replacing the "Best ____ Comedy" sub-category with "Best ____ New AAR". Not to take anything away from the great comedy AARs out there but it doesn't seem like there's a lot of them at any given time. You could still vote for a comedy AAr but it would be folded into the style in which it's written. Just throwing an idea out there. :)

Well, there's mine!

Favorite AAR, EU3-Sforza!!!-A Milan AAR by Rensslaer
Favorite Narrative AAR, EU3-Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World by canonized
Favorite Comedy AAR, EU3- There There might be Vikings out there! Or: how I accidentally traded my wife for a halibut by Grubnessul
Favorite History-Book AAR, EU3- Rebirth of England: The Woodhouse Dynasty by English Patriot
Favorite Gameplay AAR, EU3-Sforza!!!-A Milan AAR by Rensslaer

Favorite AAR, HOI1/2- The Setting Sun - Gotterdamerung 1944 - Japan
Favorite Narrative AAR, HOI1/2- Empire of Fu Manchu by The Yogi
Favorite Comedy AAR, HOI1/2- CheatAARs Always Succeed - A Cheatin' Luxembourg AAR by SEG-CISR
Favorite History-Book AAR, HOI1/2- For King and Country by Draco Rexus
Favorite Gameplay AAR, HOI1/2- The Setting Sun - Gotterdamerung 1944 - Japan

Favorite AAR, CK- Adventures of the Crovan Clan by Alfred Packer
Favorite Narrative AAR, CK- The Beautiful Girl and the History Class by Jestor
Favorite Comedy AAR, CK- Lo Llibre dels Feyts - The Book of Deeds by Kurt_STeiner
Favorite History-Book AAR, CK- Real Men do it Alpabetically: an AARgau by anonymous4401
Favorite Gameplay AAR, CK- Adventures of the Crovan Clan by Alfred Packer

Favorite AAR, Vicky- The Footsteps of Illustrious Men- USA GC AAR by Estonianzulu
Favorite Narrative AAR, Vicky- A Special Providence by Director
Favorite Comedy AAR, Vicky- We AAR All Doomed! A Terribly Odd Prussian AAR by Kaixxor
Favorite History-Book AAR, Vicky- The Footsteps of Illustrious Men- USA GC AAR by Estonianzulu
Favorite Gameplay AAR, Vicky- The World is Not Enough: A German WW1 AAR by Quirinus308

Favorite AAR, EU1/2- Empire on the Oder - A Brandenburg/German AAR by Anarion
Favorite Narrative AAR, EU1/2- The Eagles of Avalon by Mettermrck
Favorite Comedy AAR, EU1/2- Golden Horde: Scourge from the east by Duke of Wellington
Favorite History-Book AAR, EU1/2- Dreams of a Baltic State-Pomerania AAR by Emperor_krk
Favorite Gameplay AAR, EU1/2- Empire on the Oder - A Brandenburg/German AAR by Anarion

Favorite Graphics, Overall- History of the White Eagle - Poland - Megacampaign AAR - part 2 EU3 by thrashing mad
Favorite New Writer, Overall- Chronicles of the Golden Cross by AlexanderPrimus

Last edited:
Favorite AAR, EU3: Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World by canonized
Favorite Narrative AAR, EU3: Timelines: What if Spain Failed to Control the World by canonized
Favorite History-Book AAR, EU3: History of the White Eagle, Poland Megacampaign - part 2 by thrashing mad

Favorite AAR, CK: Rome AARisen by General_BT
Favorite Narrative AAR, CK: Rome AARisen by General_BT
Favorite Comedy AAR, CK: Lo Llibre dels Feyts - The Book of Deeds by Kurt_Steiner
Favorite History-Book AAR, CK: A History of Byzantium by VILenin
Favorite Gameplay AAR, CK: Regnum Angevinus ~ A Plantagenet EmpiAAR by jeffg006

Favorite AAR, Victoria: The Golden Nation, California (VIP) AAR by DerKaiser
Favorite Narrative AAR, Victoria: Empire Under Heaven! Zhonguo (VIP) AAR by jeffg006
Favorite History-Book AAR, Victoria: The Footsteps of Illustrious Men, USA GC AAR by Estonianzulu

Favorite Graphics, Overall: A Pictorial Lesson in the Art of Dynasty: Blood, Power et Conquest by 2Coats

Last edited:
Favorite AAR, EU3: Timelines by canonized
Favorite Narrative AAR, EU3: Timelines by canonized
Favorite History-Book AAR, EU3: Rebirth of England by English Patriot (you need to get your microphone working again, Mr. Woodhouse ¦3)
Favorite Gameplay: AAR, EU3