• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is terribly difficult. :(

Favorite AAR, HOI1/2 - Clash of Titans: Germany, Britain, and the Coming of the Great Wars
Favorite Narrative AAR, HOI1/2 - The Sacred Grove by Sir H.
Favorite Comedy AAR, HOI1/2 - Achtung Kavallerie! by Alexus.
Favorite History-Book AAR, HOI1/2 - Dark Shadow - A Fascist Britain AAR by Jape.
Favorite Gameplay AAR, HOI1/2 - French Kaiserreich Mod AAR by kramari.

Favorite AAR, CK
Favorite Narrative AAR, CK
Favorite Comedy AAR, CK
Favorite History-Book AAR, CK A Silent AAR - The picture scroll of the Kingdom of Jerusalem by Gratianus.
Favorite Gameplay AAR, CK

Favorite AAR, Vicky - Fire Warms the Northern Lands by Renss.
Favorite Narrative AAR, Vicky
Favorite Comedy AAR, Vicky
Favorite History-Book AAR, Vicky
Favorite Gameplay AAR, Vicky - The Great War, A Central Powers AAR by Quirinus308.

Favorite AAR, EU1/2
Favorite Narrative AAR, EU1/2 - Eagles of Avalon by Mett.
Favorite Comedy AAR, EU1/2
Favorite History-Book AAR, EU1/2 - The Substance of Power: A Tuscan AAR by RossN.
Favorite Gameplay AAR, EU1/2

Favorite Graphics, Overall
Favorite New Writer, Overall

Last edited:
uhh, this is tough...

Favorite AAR, HOI1/2The Rise and Fall of Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian - a DD German AAR by dag231
Favorite Narrative AAR, HOI1/2 With SS-division 'Wiking' trough Russia - (continued with Doomsday) by Singleton Mosby
Favorite Comedy AAR, HOI1/2 The Mighty Shicklgruber by Charle_88
Favorite History-Book AAR, Clash of Titans: Germany, Britain, and the Coming of the Great Wars by CSL_GG
Favorite Gameplay AAR, HOI1/2 Last Stand of the Eagle: A 1944 German AAR with Doomsday by Tachikaze

Favorite AAR, CK
Favorite Comedy AAR, CK
Favorite History-Book AAR, CK

Favorite AAR, Vicky
Favorite Gameplay AAR, Vicky A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Saint Petersburg, a Swedish AAR by Quirinus308

Favorite AAR, EU1/2
Favorite Narrative AAR, EU1/2
Favorite History-Book AAR, EU1/2

Favorite Graphics, Overall A Pictorial Lesson in the Art of Warfare II: Feldzuge by coz1

more coming when I decide which AARs I will nominate

Favorite AAR, HOI1/2 Secrets of the AARk
Favorite Narrative AAR, HOI1/2 Secrets of the AARk
Favorite Comedy AAR, HOI1/2 Secrets of the AARk

Favorite AAR, HOI1/2 "The Cobras are Smoking!" : a tale of Brazil
Favorite Narrative AAR, HOI1/2 Resurrection of the Romanovs by Thistletooth
Favorite Comedy AAR, HOI1/2 Secrets of the AARk by anonymous4401
Favorite History-Book AAR, HOI1/2
Favorite Gameplay AAR, HOI1/2"The Cobras are Smoking!" : a tale of Brazil by LM+

Favorite AAR, CK
Favorite Comedy AAR, CK

Favorite AAR, Vicky Fire Warms the Northern Lands -- A Prussian AAR by Rensslaer
Favorite Narrative AAR, Vicky Into the West by coz1
Favorite Comedy AAR, Vicky The Rise of Zombie Napoleon: An Undead AAR! by HannibalBarca
Favorite History-Book AAR, Vicky Fire Warms the Northern Lands -- A Prussian AAR by Rensslaer
Favorite Gameplay AAR, Vicky The Great War, A Central Powers AAR by Quirinus308

Favorite AAR, EU1/2

Last edited:
Favorite AAR, HOI1/2 - that one with the musical by Alexus
Favorite Comedy AAR, HOI1/2 - that one with the musical by Alexus

Favorite AAR, CK - Lübeck: Against the tide, by angryclown
Favorite Narrative AAR, CK - Counting Bodies like Sheep: Galloway in Verse, by Badawi (a skaldic narrative ;))
Favorite History-Book AAR, CK - The Medieval History of England, by queenimperiale, holy crap.

Just a reminder that you have two more weeks to vote in the AARland Choice AwAARds! A hearty thanks to all those who have voted so far, and/or have advertised this venture in their AARs or their sigs. And I of course ask for more people to do the same! Voting closes on July 28.

Righty old mate, I'll go back and make sure everything is correct and proper.

Favorite AAR, Vicky "84 Years in Vienna -- AAR"- DerKaiser
Favorite Narrative AAR, Vicky "Into the West" Coz1
Favorite Comedy AAR, "The Rise of Zombie Napoleon: An Undead AAR" - HannibalBarca
Favorite History-Book AAR, Vicky "84 Years in Vienna -- AAR"- DerKaiser
Favorite Gameplay AAR, Vicky "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Saint Petersburg, A Swedish AAR" Quirinus308

Favorite AAR, HOI1/2: 1914-1924 'British interests; British honour; British obligations' by Allenby
Favorite Narrative AAR, HOI1/2
Favorite Comedy AAR, HOI1/2
Favorite History-Book AAR, HOI1/2: 1914-1924 'British interests; British honour; British obligations' by Allenby
Favorite Gameplay AAR, HOI1/2

Favorite AAR, CK
Favorite Comedy AAR, CK: Knud Knýtling, Prince of Denmark (and other assorted tales) by phragle

Favorite AAR, Vicky
Favorite Gameplay AAR, Vicky

Favorite AAR, EU1/2

Favorite AAR, Vicky: Fire Warms the Northern Land, Rensslaer
Favorite Comedy AAR, Vicky: The Rise of Zombie Napoleon: An Undead AAR, HannibalBarca
Favorite History-Book AAR, Vicky: 84 Years in Vienna, DerKaiser
Favorite Gameplay AAR, Vicky: The Dutch Empire Strikes Back, Wannabe Tatar

New Writer: 84 Years in Vienna, DerKaiser

Alas, I don't get out much, but I'll try to read some of the other catagories...

Last edited:
Favorite AAR, Vicky- Fire Warms the Northern Lands – A Prussian AAR, Rensslaer
Favorite Narrative AAR, Vicky- Into the West, coz1
Favorite Comedy AAR, Vicky- The rise of the phoenix, Major_Rawne
Favorite History-Book AAR, Vicky- Fire Warms the Northern Lands- A Prussian AAR, Rensslaer
Favorite Gameplay AAR, Vicky- The World is Not Enough, a German WW1 AAR, Quirinus308

I swear I'll try and do the rest before I go on holiday (2 days time), but right now I literally am not at home enough to read up the thousands of great AARs available!
DerKaiser

I know it can be daunting, but having done this twice before, and now again, I have some advice that may be helpful for those who 1) want to do these AARthors justice, but 2) don't have a week to do nothing but read...

Last night I set up a list of possible contenders (in the space of about 2 hours) for the EU and Vicky awards. CK should take another hour, and HOI maybe 2 hours.

There are about 4 pages of potentially eligible AARs in Europa Universalis, and another 3 pages in Vicky (probably as many as 10 pages in HOI, but I find them easy to sort out/in). About 70% of these can be disregarded after a few seconds' examination because 1) they're older AARs with 1-2 new posts, 2) they were started after 6-30-06, 3) they were started, but quickly grew cold, or 4) they are obviously not of sufficient quality to compete with the AARs already on my list.

I categorize each as I go... This is eligible for (A) category, and/or (B) category.

Then, over the next week or two, I will go through and explore a few pages of each AAR to establish the interest level, writing talent, uniqueness, etc. Some AARs will only take me a few moments to determine they are or are not in contention. Usually, for any category, there are 1-3 AARs (sometimes 7-8, which is hard!) which just stand out from the rest, and so I weed lots out.

Then is where the fun comes in... You have a relatively small number of AARs that you have to pay some attention to in order to decide which is better than the others, but then it doesn't seem so much like work because they're really good AARs! :D It's still not going to take much longer than a few hours over a couple of weeks. I don't generally read the whole AAR before my voting, though I've found many that I intend to go back and read in their entirety once I have time!

... or you could just pick your favorite AARs for each category (the ones you read regularly) which is easy, and I'm certainly not going to argue with the method. I just can't do that -- I'm a perfectionist, and I want to catch new writing talent if I can!

Just some idle rambling thoughts: 1) There are about a dozen EU narrative AARs that are both eligible and worthy of consideration... I've got some reading to do! 2) There has been a massive comeback in gameplay AARs for Vicky. I remember when there were only a couple at a time. Now there are more than a half-dozen that are even of sufficient quality that I'll have to think about them!

Anyway... Hope this helps!

Rensslaer

I'll post these awards as I get each forum done...

No comedy awards yet. I had my funny bone removed a few years ago, so it'll take me a while to see if I like each comedy routine or not. :rolleyes: If I don't laugh after 3 days, then you're done!

Victoria

Favorite AAR, Vicky: Into the West - by Coz1

Favorite Narrative AAR, Vicky: 84 Years in Vienna - by DerKaiser

Favorite Comedy AAR, Vicky:

Favorite History-Book AAR, Vicky": Pax Americana - by CV Mannerheim

Favorite Gameplay AAR, Vicky: The World is Not Enough - by Quirinus

Europa Universalis

Favorite AAR, EU1/2: The Eagles of Avalon - by Mettermrck

Favorite Narrative AAR, EU1/2: In Memory of France - by Stnylan

Favorite Comedy AAR, EU1/2:

Favorite History-Book AAR, EU1/2: The Fallen Eagle - by SeanB

Favorite Gameplay AAR, EU1/2:

Last edited:
I sure hope it doesn't really take you on the order of hours just to obtain a list of candidates! Because if this is so for everyone else, then I have underestimated the burden! :eek:

Of course, perhaps it is because you categorize, then judge. Why not do both at once? Often it is quite obvious that an AAR is not ACA material, and many AARs just only have two or three updates in the time period, perhaps in the entire AAR itself.

anonymous4401 said:
I sure hope it doesn't really take you on the order of hours just to obtain a list of candidates! Because if this is so for everyone else, then I have underestimated the burden! :eek:

Of course, perhaps it is because you categorize, then judge. Why not do both at once? Often it is quite obvious that an AAR is not ACA material, and many AARs just only have two or three updates in the time period, perhaps in the entire AAR itself.
Yeah, well... I guess by the time I click back and forth to the first update and the last one, and to a few pages in between, I've pretty well categorized and evaluated the piece... So there's not much left to do.

It's when I have to compare several really good AARs that it gets tough!

I'm very deliberate. Perhaps too much so. :D

Rensslaer

anonymous4401 said:

Oh ho ho, like I gave it that much thought :D

...well, no, I'm joking, I read the stuff and the voices argued in my head about a few things (esp. in Vicky and EUII).

Anyone know of any decent CK gamplay AAR's? You don't realy see too many of them.

It doesn't have to be a solely gameplay AAR. It could be any AAR where the mechanics aren't buried under piles of text.